Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• They should just stop football to be honest. Burn it all and make everyone start over, it's become an absolute farce the way money controls it. It's been bad enough with teams slinging money around to get their way and uprooting literal children from smaller clubs in order to maybe have an advantage 8 years down the line, but now the health of players or the integrity of the league is going to be placed in jeopardy so that the TV men don't get upset. Sod it all.
    I can appreciate that it's a difficult position the league are in; whatever you do you make someone suffer, be it by denying promotion or enforcing relegation, but there really are only two choices that are rooted in fairness; you either complete the season, or you shrug your shoulders, say it didn't happen and apologise for wasting everyone's time. It's a 46 game league. If teams fail to fulfill their fixtures under normal circumstances then they get fines and points deductions, because there's an agreed format and everyone has to stick by it or it's meaningless. That situation doesn't change just because it's affecting everyone. We either finish or it's nothing. Given that the health and safety of the players - and by extension their families - can't be guaranteed, there's really no option other than voiding it. If we'd been in the Playoff spots or by some miracle top of the league then we'd be fuming, but it would still be the correct, fairest and safest decision. We'd all moan on here about how the league have done us over, but it would be the right decision. Allowing the teams in the league to vote is the EFL abdicating the responsibility they have to safeguard the league and the employees who operate within it and it's absolute cowardice. They know full well that there's reasons beyond sporting integrity and safety that will influence clubs' votes and they're going to let that happen regardless so they can wash their hands of their responsibilities. Again.
    Promotion and no relegation and a lot less clubs suffer. 

If the play offs cant be played so just two go up then yes you will have a few disgruntled clubs in the play off places.

Taking the Championship as an example, promoting Leeds and West Brom and relegating nobody would be very fair. League 1 is tighter but Coventry deserve promotion. League 2 admittedly has 5 clubs who could all easily have won the league. 
    Fewer clubs would suffer yes, but ultimately it's still a decision being made that isn't in line with the agreed format of the league. Making the right decision isn't really about reducing suffering, it's about doing what's fairest within the previously agreed remit of the league. I think that if we started playing we'd probably still go down; morale at the club must be terrible and you can probably throw all the form that's gone before so far in this league out of the window given the amount of time that's passed and the events that have occurred. Hull might not be anywhere near as terrible as they were, they might be worse. At least if we play out the season we can say that we were entered into a 46 game home and away league and we completed it to settle our place in it. I don't think altering the structure of the leagues is justifiable. I still think the league should just be cancelled though because people's health is more important than a bit of sport and certainly more important than TV companies and league executives lining their pockets.
    Ah yes I agree it's about fairness. But surely the fairer it is, the less teams suffer? 

I don't agree altering the structure isn't justifiable. It's certainly as justifable if not more so than relegating teams who still had 9 games to play. That way the teams at the top are being rewarded without teams punished. I think you are down to just a few clubs complaining, rather than double that figure.
  • Posted this on Sat 7th March after the match vs. Middlesbrough -

Seems like there is only one type of "integrity"  EFL are great at preserving..........
    Will Charlton be entitled to any "severance?"! English football administration has become rotten to the core.

• edited May 2020
    At least if you voided all of the second games against sides, you would have a league that reflected 23 games against every side. But of course that would not be fair as teams could have harder away games than home ones and you would be disregarding actual results. The problem is, you can't do fair so you have to be logical. That can only be completing or voiding if you can't.

Actually playing play off games after stopping the season prematurely is about as ridiculous as you can get.
  • Anyone up for a socially distanced march on the EFL offices?
    Just google my route to the London office just in case its needed at some stage haha

• I just don’t get how they could potentially rush the play offs to maintain ‘integrity’ and yet a team in 6th place in league one now could relegate us?

Surely (and I know I’m biased) but promote the top 2 and relegate the bottom 2 who would very probably have gone down anyway, and scrap the play offs.

I have a funny feeling Sunderland are gonna nick our place 
  • I just don’t get how they could potentially rush the play offs to maintain ‘integrity’ and yet a team in 6th place in league one now could relegate us?

Surely (and I know I’m biased) but promote the top 2 and relegate the bottom 2 who would very probably have gone down anyway, and scrap the play offs.

I have a funny feeling Sunderland are gonna nick our place 
    I think Sunderland would miss out, wouldn't they?
  • Yeah sorry my mistake just seen the table

Oxford then 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect staying in the Championship may make it easier for us to do that.
  • Anyone up for a socially distanced march on the EFL offices?
    I'm up for an anti-socially focused march on the EFL offices.
  • The season has to declared void. If remaining games are played they will not be under the same conditions as the previous ones. 
    But the reality is the new season, will not start as planned and no spectators.
  • League One next year, -12 points, Youngsters and a real chance that Bowyer will be gone. It could still be worse.

Then a further relegation next season.
  • No, they should finish the season or void the season. 

This is the only fairest way.  Anything else is a nonsense.
  • edited May 2020
    League One next year, -12 points, Youngsters and a real chance that Bowyer will be gone. It could still be worse.

Surely we can win 4 more games than the 3 shitest teams in that league, we'll find ourselves in league one anyway in 2021 with-12 in the championship amd by far the worst budget. 
  • League One next year, -12 points, Youngsters and a real chance that Bowyer will be gone. It could still be worse.

And a further relegation would deliver us from EFL forever, and ever. Amen.
  • What happen in 1939 when war broke out  ?  Didn't they just end the season. No promotion or relegation there I don't believe. Therefore a precedent has been struck. Doesn't matter if they only played a handful of games. 
  • What happen in 1939 when war broke out  ?  Didn't they just end the season. No promotion or relegation there I don't believe. Therefore a precedent has been struck. Doesn't matter if they only played a handful of games. 
    Funnily it was Leeds bottom of the First Division that year, just three games had been played... thankfully when Football resumed in 46/47 they still finished bottom
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    Maybe it could be more effective if they each took individual action. No reason why they couldn't consult each other through the process. Bombard the EFL with cases to defend.
  • CHARLTON TO BE EVICTED FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP?

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1032537273?-11197:833
  • Perhaps email the EFL to say how stupid there idea is without sorting out Brum/Derby and the Massives! 
  • If this happens it will be a scandal. 

Void or finish, those are the only two right options. 
  • Void isn’t an option. You can’t have teams who (in some cases) are dead and buried squirming out of relegation.

Next season is gonna be compromised already so just finish this one whenever is safe to do so.

Speaking honestly when we consider all going on at the club and how we were playing before the break, there’s every chance we are heading down, but at least it’s on the pitch.

• edited May 2020
    Void isn’t an option. You can’t have teams who (in some cases) are dead and buried squirming out of relegation.

Next season is gonna be compromised already so just finish this one whenever is safe to do so.

Speaking honestly when we consider all going on at the club and how we were playing before the break, there’s every chance we are heading down, but at least it’s on the pitch.

Who is dead and buried in the Championship?
    Thinking more Norwich in the Prem... I assume we are mirroring their rules.