Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Don’t understand why people are so confident of beating Hull. We were pretty dire the last couple of games And looked nailed on for relegation
    Form is now out if the window. Players will have had 2 months off if/when matches start up again. Anyone carrying niggles or even a muscle injury will now be fully fit. It's now a 9 game tournament. 
  • Options
    Surprise surprise AFC Wimbledon a team 3 points above relegation zone have confirmed they will be voting to end the season 

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2020/may/club-statement2/

Thats the problem, teams will only look at themselves at not the bigger picture, AFC Wimbledon say its because of health reasons, but if they were 21st you can guarantee they would be voting to play
  • Options
    Surprise surprise AFC Wimbledon a team 3 points above relegation zone have confirmed they will be voting to end the season 

Thats the problem, teams will only look at themselves at not the bigger picture, AFC Wimbledon say its because of health reasons, but if they were 21st you can guarantee they would be voting to play
    Exactly. Too many agendas. EFL/ FA etc need to just make a ruling and stick too it and say tough shit. Whatever is decided there are going to be winners and losers. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:
    It's too much ... How many times can one source cause you pain... 

F*** ... 

It's so hard to take. 

You'll harden to it mate, the first 60 years are the worst with the odd time for celebration chucked in like this time last year 😉.
    The first 60?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:

F*** ... 

It's so hard to take. 

You'll harden to it mate, the first 60 years are the worst with the odd time for celebration chucked in like this time last year 😉.
    The first 60?
    Pedant, 62 then Charlton v Blackburn Rovers last game 1957/8 season, lost 3-4 to blow an immediate return to the top flight when we only needed a draw 😉.
  • Options
    I think we might just get away with this. I think there will be only a little more than half of the league voting to finish the season. We might just have a chance.
  • Options
    Ending the season or playing it to an end, makes no difference. Charlton will be relegated, there is no way that what will be left of the first squad can win all the remaining games and the teams above loose two three of theirs, are squad as many of us feared from the start of the season was not goo enough for this division,
  • Options
    That's the spirit, a dogs chance is better than no chance at all COYRs.
  • Options
    As others have said unless we can somehow persuade the out contract to stay until the season ends ( which I cant see how we can) then  the majority of the remaining fixtures will be played with a similar line up to what had over Christmas, when everyone was injured. Saying that though some would argue that's still better than just ending and having no chance at all.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Ending the season or playing it to an end, makes no difference. Charlton will be relegated, there is no way that what will be left of the first squad can win all the remaining games and the teams above loose two three of theirs, are squad as many of us feared from the start of the season was not goo enough for this division,
    Playing at the top of their game our first 11 could have won this league. I walked out of the home game against Derby, who We completely took apart, and dared to dream. Trouble was injured players all came back half the men that left, and Gallagher leaving was a disaster.  

Not true to say it was always a disaster, bad luck injuries, poor defending at key moments, fecking Frank Lampard conspired to screw us. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seem on another thread that Lyle Taylor had said that every player out of contract will be offered an extension & its up to the individual player if they want to sign or not. Currently he is undecided. 

Asked earlier if anyone had that list of players out of contract. Would be nice to know who we are taking about. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Here's the last updated squad list thread I could find as at 31 January @golfaddick the search facility is your friend 😉.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3790179#Comment_3790179
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Well, let's hope Taylor decides to stick with us and it is made worth his while. I suspect that a lot of the bad feeling he has is down to a simple fact. Without him, we would not have gained promotion. He certainly hasn't received the respect/financial treatment that deserves, but there have been some crazy circumstances and some stability and a desire not to screw up what he contributed to may be a deciding factor. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Don’t understand why people are so confident of beating Hull. We were pretty dire the last couple of games And looked nailed on for relegation
    We were bad but Hull were worse.
  • Options
    To be fair, you could make a case for any result v Hull.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    So to stay up we've got to win all our games. I think that you need to have a look at the table.

By the way I've resigned myself to relegation whichever way the season ends. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:

F*** ... 

It's so hard to take. 

The first 60?
    Pedant, 62 then Charlton v Blackburn Rovers last game 1957/8 season, lost 3-4 to blow an immediate return to the top flight when we only needed a draw 😉.
    I never realised you were 35 when you saw your 1st game  🤣
  • Options
    I agree - Pratley was overused for a player of his age, but we didn't have the options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Got absolutely no time for that tinpot club. Such an entitled fanbase.
  • Options
    I would be happy for us to automatically simply just go down without playing anymore games.

We have bigger problems. The problems we now have are very serious and could severely cause extreme long term damage to our club.

Another season of suffering in the championship...losing every single game.

What is the point?

The new owner(s) sent us down. They didn't recruit. All they did was just piss people off and in a more face to face way Roland ever actually did. Which is a suprising and strange concern in itself.

There are no successful business people...who are also considered to be a top people's person.

It might be a case that we just mostly only hear about the bad owners and unfortunately they are the ones that stick in our memories and won't go away.

We need a miracle.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

There are no successful business people...who are also considered to be a top people's person.

Really? Bit of a sweeping generalisation there. What do you base that on?
  • Options
    Hopefully the Premier League will inject some money into EFL clubs. Germany has restarted so cannot see why we can't. Understand the players somewhat but they are young and healthy and the clubs should pay to isolate then from families and test daily. 4 weeks to get it done. My wife had to go back to work last week over here as she did not have a choice really and we need the the Health Insurance over here. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Looks to me like we will see football. The major leagues in other countries are opening up and that means we will too. The big issue is, if we start up on 20 June, what do we do in relation to non- contracted players after June?  I suppose the window could be delayed, but players out of contract may still choose not to play for their old clubs with a limited extension.

• Options
    Looks to me like we will see football. The major leagues in other countries are opening up and that means we will too. The big issue is, if we start up on 20 June, what do we do in relation to non- contracted players after June?  I suppose the window could be delayed, but players out of contract may still choose not to play for their old clubs with a limited extension.

Both Taylor & Bowyer have said that contract extensions are being offered to those players put of contract on July  1st & it's up to them if they want to sign it or not. Bowyer says he understands the problem with this & wont be putting pressure on anyone. He is speaking individually to all the players today about this plus returning to training etc etc.

I reckon most will sign & a few wont. Page, Solly, JFC & Matthew's I think will. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Both Taylor & Bowyer have said that contract extensions are being offered to those players put of contract on July  1st & it's up to them if they want to sign it or not. Bowyer says he understands the problem with this & wont be putting pressure on anyone. He is speaking individually to all the players today about this plus returning to training etc etc.

I reckon most will sign & a few wont. Page, Solly, JFC & Matthew's I think will. 
    First they will want to know that their wages will be paid every month
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Which players would you want to extend their contacts? Til when? Do you think they would?  :/ 

Amos - Yes give him another year, and I think he would if he’s happy playing backup to Dillon (plus we might need him if we lose Dillon)

Solly - Yes and Yes
    Matthews - Yes and hopefully Yes, I’d take him next year regardless of what league we’re in.
    Sarr - Yes IF he took a wage cut, which makes me think he wouldn’t sign. Maybe he’d do a short term thing?
    Page - No, made of glass so don’t even know if he’s fit enough to play. A real shame cos I think he’d really suit Bowyer’s system

Cullen - Yes but have no idea how loans are going to work in this situation. I think he’s the sort who would sign a short deal if it was an option to extend the loan, but won’t be with us next season.
    Field - No, is he still injured?
    JFC - I really liked JFC but he’s been out too long. Reckon he’d sign if it was offered.
    Morgan - contract length isn’t known, if it’s up at the end of June I’d definitely want to renew. I wonder if he’s happy with his place in the squad though.
    Green - Yes I would, but see above re: loans. Not sure if he’d take a loan extension if it was an option.

Taylor - 100% yes and I’d want it to extend to next season but given what he’s been saying in interviews I find this highly unlikely.
    Hemed - No, not impressed me.
    Davidson - Yes think he’s one for the future so would be worthwhile and think he’d sign on for a longer stint.

• Options
    So 2 more Premier League players/Staff have tested positive and those 2 players/staff will now self isolate

But what about there contact for the past 5 days, as Taylor said, the test doesnt cover the past 5 days, so these 2 players or staff may have passed it on to someone else who tested negative and now have it, but they wont know until they next get tested,by then they could have passed it on
  • Options
    Exactly, shouldn’t everyone they have been in contact with now isolate for 14 days ?