Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• So many things to look back on that could've changed our season. Lyle not getting injured on international duty. Injuries to Leko, Field with them being sent back. Gallagher leaving us. That patch where it felt like we conceded last min winners/equalisers every game.
  • Honestly don’t see Charlton existing next season
  • Sickener
  • edited May 2020
    J BLOCK said:
    Honestly don’t see Charlton existing next season

I think we will exist.

It will just be starting the season in League One on -12pts with a team full of kids and a handful of contracted first team players.

• We play well when the sun shines. Anyone else got any straws to clutch?
  • We have to try to play to have any chance of staying up.
    It is a nothing to lose situation for us.

• We will go down now.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Honestly don’t see Charlton existing next season

I think we will exist.

It will just be starting the season in League One on -12pts with a team full of kids and a handful of contracted first team players.

Whilst Sheff W and Derby remain in the championship on -12 pts because the EFL couldnt get their arse in gear!
  • Any legal challenge will go to the courts and will probably be won by the teams launching the legal challenge.

However, that will probably take two years and the teams will get some money, not taking into account the financial repercussions that have happened in the mean time by not being promoted/being relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would we have been ok in this scenario if we had not conceded that 97th minute goal v Hull?
  • I am really at the end of my tether over this totally out of depth shambles which runs our football league.The time they take to make decisions and still balls it up is incredible,what is going on about Derby ,Sheff Wed. and Birmingham,thy should all have lost 12 points,months ago.but no sod all done,perhaps these clubs are too big,and maybe have mates at the EFL.And now,2 smaller clubs,luton and Brnsley look like being relegated without completing their games,Charlton will join them and not know if they are getting a 12 point deduction thrown in.So we could go down and start of -12 points next year ,all because they did not do their job probably regarding our illustrious new owners.
    The whole relegation promotion was easy to resolve,2 up from the championship and 2 up from the other leagues,no relegation from premier,but 4 come down next season,as queensland addick says.Give premier teams in europe the option of not playing the league cup.simple.
  • Derby, Wednesday and Birmingham penalties now become crucial.

Sad state of affairs.
    Don't penalties handed out after March not come into effect until next season ?
  • Would we have been ok in this scenario if we had not conceded that 97th minute goal v Hull?
    Yep, we would be 19th :(
    Or the one against Bristol City. Or Huddersfield. or Millwall.
  • seth plum said:
    We have to try to play to have any chance of staying up.

Agreed. We are in the relegation zone, hope the season starts and get out of the bottom 3 asap and see what happens.
  • edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    We have to try to play to have any chance of staying up.

What the league has done is set up a majority with an interest in not completing the season. The only way it could do this was to play the play offs, which is bizarre. But expect the season to be stopped and play off games to be played. How they can legally get away with this is beyond me.
  • Ross said:
    Would we have been ok in this scenario if we had not conceded that 97th minute goal v Hull?
    Or Luton. Or Sheff Wed.
  • Ross said:
    Would we have been ok in this scenario if we had not conceded that 97th minute goal v Hull?
    But we also stole points late on against QPR and West Brom.

Which is exactly the point thise kind of things generally even out over the course of a 46 game season, sometimes you win points late on sometimes u lose points late on.

But its a 46 game season
    Not a 37 game season
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Or Luton. Or Sheff Wed.
    Makes me feel sick thinking about all of those, especially in the context of what's just been decided.
  • Because play off games carry TV revenue potential.

all about money 
    Totally wrong. It is about votes. They need those with a vested interest to vote the season over. But if they didn't have the play offs the clubs in play off positions wouldn't vote for it to end.
  • Given the shit show we are in the midst off, this is all pretty much irrelevant. If the season restarts and don't get a points deduction, does anyone really think the players will be focussed enough to win games?

It is likely we will get a points deduction anyway.

Whichever way you turn it looks like go down a league and potentially out of existence.
  • Didn’t everyone want null and void when it looked like we would stay up off the back of it. Now we are all pushing to play on? 

Well - put it this way we need to play on. Null and void was never going to happen. We need a resolution once it’s safe - whenever that may be 
    Not at all.  If they could play on safely, I wanted that.  If they couldn't, it should be voided.

Think the majority have said that throughout.  Not just because we could/would be down, but because it's crazy to relegate and promote teams with 27 points still to play for.

I think we would probably have gone down, but it's not a reasonable thing to do to relegate teams who had every chance to escape. 
  • Ross said:
    Any legal challenge will go to the courts and will probably be won by the teams launching the legal challenge.

However, that will probably take two years and the teams will get some money, not taking into account the financial repercussions that have happened in the mean time by not being promoted/being relegated.
    I would say its highly likely that any team challenging this ruling would win.

I'm sure those much more knowledgeable in the law than me could advise whether you could also take out an injunction banning the relegation of teams until the case is heard by the courts.   
  • edited May 2020
    I'm not a lawyer but I think I could put a very strong case together. Quality of teams we have played higher than many of our rivals based on league position. If game before was voided, we would stay up. If next game was played we could stay up etc...

You wouldn't just have us challenging, but Luton, Barnsley, Bristol City, Millwall, Cardiff, Blackburn, Derby and even QPR possibly too. Although the promotion hopeful sides will want the season played, we would be content for it to be voided. Simply vested interest and nothing to do with doing what is right.
  • League One next year, -12 points, Youngsters and a real chance that Bowyer will be gone. It could still be worse.
  • Farcical, especially as they can’t guarantee next season will start on time if at all. 
    Play to a finish whenever it can start then reorganise the following seasons as required so all playing to the same rules.
    if we get relegated after 46 games no complaints but after Boro we had 9 games to turn it around.
    In our current situation this could be terminal for us. 
    Playing the games and streaming live would probably be worth a minimum £250k for our home games. 
    I would like to say I am surprised but as long as the Premier can be played f@@k the rest.

^^^^^ this
  • They should revert to the system of third from bottom in championship to play third from top from league one in a two legged game. Same as the system used when we beat Leeds.