Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Looks like Championship teams can potentially return to training on Monday with the season restarting on June 20th

Makes me wonder why the players have to social distance from each other during training yet that'll go out the window during the actual match - Utter token gesture 
    So 10 days to finish the season before a load of contracts run out. What an utter waste of time.
  • Can't see this posted from yesterday: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52747798

"Championship clubs will have to train in small groups of five for a maximum of 75 minutes, with 15 minutes allowed for warm-up and recovery."

"
    Footballs, GPS units and other equipment will be disinfected pre and post session, with social distancing between individuals essential at all times."

"
    • It is "recommended as few footballs and equipment used as possible"
    • "Tackling" and "any opposed activities" are prohibited
    • Equipment will be disinfected where necessary, including "cones, goalposts, mannequins, GPS units, balls and gloves"
    • PPE may be required, including "mask and gloves" when injured players enter the gym and "coaching staff will be asked to wear gloves during sessions"
    • Players are told not to "chat in groups" and will not be allowed to use ice baths, showers or have "non-essential treatment"
    • Players will have designated parking spaces, will have to arrive in their own kit and bring their own drinks and towels.
    "
  • The German model for returning to training was very similar.
    maintain fitness at home, then return to training in groups of 5 with no contact.
    it wasn’t actually until around 1 week before the first game that teams could get back to full training.
  • Looks like Championship teams can potentially return to training on Monday with the season restarting on June 20th

Makes me wonder why the players have to social distance from each other during training yet that'll go out the window during the actual match - Utter token gesture 
    It's a gradual process though. In a month's time, hopefully the level of infection and deaths will be a lot lower

And if it isn't, they can always postpone/cancel
  • Millwall 'offering to foot some of the bill for cv testing for their Championship rivals if they are promoted', according to the Evening Standard.
    A third of the costs apparently. 
    Total costs for Championship testing is £1.5M
    Split between three promoted clubs that's £500k each, not a bad deal when the return to the Prem is worth £170M for each of them.
    Sickening thought.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Millwall 'offering to foot some of the bill for cv testing for their Championship rivals if they are promoted', according to the Evening Standard.
    Split between three promoted clubs that's £500k each, not a bad deal when the return to the Prem is worth £170M for each of them.
    Sickening thought.
    Nice gesture but the cynic in me questions if its a bit of a bribe

i.e. If their remaining eight games (Im ignoring us) are against teams that are struggling financially then its an incentive to roll over and give Millwall the victory
  • JamesSeed said:
    Millwall 'offering to foot some of the bill for cv testing for their Championship rivals if they are promoted', according to the Evening Standard.
    Sickening thought.

i.e. If their remaining eight games (Im ignoring us) are against teams that are struggling financially then its an incentive to roll over and give Millwall the victory
    Not if all promotion chasing championship clubs agree to split the costs regardless which 3 teams are promoted 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Sickening thought.

Charltonised...
  • Sponsored links:

• EFL have actually put put a statement worth reading for once. They have set out their plans should the season end early. See link above
  • What does "Unweighted" PPG mean? 
  • Addick_8 said:
    What does "Unweighted" PPG mean? 
    Current League table in the Championship case as we have all played 37 games 
  • Addick_8 said:
    What does "Unweighted" PPG mean? 
    Current League table in the Championship case as we have all played 37 games 
    Thanks. So we would be down
  • So, to all intents and purposes, we are down.
  • English Football League: Promotion and relegation to remain if seasons curtailed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193
  • edited May 2020
    If they can find a way that clubs finishing 4th, 5th and 6th in League One could potentially play 3 games to gain promotion, surely they could find a way for us to play Hull (our next scheduled game) which would decide which of us was relegated. I am not saying that is what they should do, but it highlights how ridiculous the EFL's position is here.

To be honest, I would feel just as strongly if they relegated the bottom two. There is no way that it is certain Barnsley and Luton would be relegated. And whilst I think you could make a case we could be, there is an argument that says we have had tougher games. We have only 2 games remaining against the current top seven and the majority of our remaining games are agianst teams with little to play for.  It would not be a relegation on merit which would destroy the integrity of the league for years to come. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MOBY DUCK said:
    2. This means that, in the event of an early curtailment:  

a. Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
    b. Promotion and relegation should be retained. 
    c. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams). 

As should be expected from the EFL, they’ve chosen to fuck this up from the start. Adding a ‘ppg curtailment’ policy is changing the rules half way through the season and I can’t see how that’s going to hold up in a court of law. Clubs will sue the EFL for this. Precedents have already been set in other European leagues. You either play out the season in its entirety, or you abort.
    If it came down to a vote though, it will be very hard for a club to sue the EFL and win in court on that basis
  • So, they need 6 more clubs to agree to finish the season do they? Surely us, Luton and Barnsley are definites? Need 3 more suckers.
  • If they can find a way that clubs finishing 4th, 5th and 6th in League One could potentially play 3 games to gain promotion, surely they could find a way for us to play Hull (our next scheduled game) which would decide which of us was relegated. I am not saying that is what they should do, but it highlights how ridiculous the EFL's position is here.

To be honest, I would feel just as strongly if the relegated the bottom two. There is no way that it is certain Barnsley and Luton would be relegated. And where I think we may be there is an argument that says we have had tougher games. We have only 2 games remaining against the current top seven.  It would not be a relegation on merit which would destroy the integrity of the league for years to come. 
    B*llocks ! 

On reading that statement, my view, like Mutts', was that if Play Offs can be played, then why can't other matches  ? Perhaps 3 more games for the rest of the Divisions....

Absolute farcical decision IMO. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    That 94th min Hull Equaliser at home in the 2-2 is now a real sickener 
    I swear that the minute Gallagher lost possession turning to go inside rather than down the line, I had visions of us being cruelly punished for the stupidity of that decision.
  • Addick_8 said:
    That 94th min Hull Equaliser at home in the 2-2 is now a real sickener 
    Or the 1-0 defeat against Boro which dropped us into the bottom 3. If the season had finished a week earlier we would be safe
    Or a day later we probably would've been safe as well. 

This feels like such a sucker punch
  • edited May 2020
    Makes me smile when they say the relegated team in League Two has to go somewhere which in this instance is the National League

That organisation (last Id heard) hadnt even decided the matter of promotion, do they promote Barrow because they're top but if thats to replace Stevenage then who replaces Bury?

Its a better statement than what we've had before but the thinking from these meetings still feels far too narrow minded rather than long term thinking

E.g. What are the plans over next season? - We've seen that Italy not only has plans to restart this league but also have plans to deal with next season... Feels as though we'll be back to square one when they make a decision about this year because they've not taken into consideration next year

Its basically a cup final when / if we restart - Need to go into that game fighting from the off, if the season were to be cancelled (for whatever reason) the following week then at least we'd be out of the relegation zone with a single win