Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    There is a school of thought about life going on. We cant not just re-start people going back to work (be it a scaffolder or a footballer) just because people have died. Not saying its right, but the masses need something to focus on & to get back to normality. I hear today that the lockdown has started to crumble & there are more people out & about today. It won't take long for things to start getting rough if people are "locked up" for much longer.

I hear that the WHO are saying that it is very likely that anyone who has had Covid-19 might not be immune & could catch it again. If that is the case then things might as well start getting back to normal. 
    "School of thought", "I hear that", "I hear today".

You should work for Sky Sports.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    clb74 said:
    If these players get to be tested every few days , the government better have them tests available to the rest of the country.
    I don't get this argument... These are private companies willing to pay well over the top for testing
    Fair enough how will football overcome the 2 metre distancing rule
    Most of our players usually distance themselves 3 metres away from the the nearest opposition player so we will be fine.  The only one who would  have a problem is Pearce..... just doesn’t play him - this will increase our chances of winning as well. 

You distance yourself from the bar when it is your round.
    A man with your reputation. Lawks.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I want to go to the Valley have a beer and watch us again, but at the moment I can’t see that happening this side of October/November

I think it'll be much longer than that. The very last things to be 'back to normal' will be where there are large crowds in close proximity. Football and other sports, gigs etc, it won't be this year sadly.
    So let’s say December then. Just finish this season and play the two cup competitions. Job done.
    That's what I thought but listening to a BBC podcast it doesn't sound so easy. One season with different contracted players at each club for the last 9 matches could result in legal problems (as I understood).
  • Options
    I think that what Golfie's saying is that lockdown wouldn't survive a hot summer. 

I have mixed opinions about it. I've adhered to it 100 per cent but we've commented already on here that people are waning, both in England and France.

The question I'm most curious about is that of whether people are actually dying of the virus or of the air pollution they've been breathing year after year? Isn't it just that the two are a deadly combination? The hardest hit regions are those of high air pollution.

Maybe if we had been taking such drastic measures to fight to save the environment and the ecosystem, we wouldn't be in this shit now at all.

• Options

I hear that the WHO are saying that it is very likely that anyone who has had Covid-19 might not be immune & could catch it again. If that is the case then things might as well start getting back to normal. 
    I think it might be like needing a flu jab every year.
    Less likely that if you've had it now, you'll get it again before a vaccine is ready.
    That is something similar to what I heard on C4 news (or Newsnight........can't remember which) the other evening. A professor of entomology was saying that it just might be a virus that everyone could catch, and a flu-like vaccine will be the best we can do. It will always be with us & we will just have to take our chances (my words). 
  • Options
    There is a school of thought about life going on. We cant not just re-start people going back to work (be it a scaffolder or a footballer) just because people have died. Not saying its right, but the masses need something to focus on & to get back to normality. I hear today that the lockdown has started to crumble & there are more people out & about today. It won't take long for things to start getting rough if people are "locked up" for much longer.

Reading other forums. Reading about how there are more people out this weekend. Roads are busier. Parks are busier. There comes a time when people look around & say..."I'm ok. My neighbours are ok. My friends are ok. It can't be as bad as people are making it out to be. Fuck it,  lets go out "

FWIW. I stood in a queue outside of ASDA this morning waiting to go in. 30 mins. Nice weather. I wonder if it would be the same in November when its cold & pissing down with rain. Cant see too many people putting up with that. Luckily this virus has struck at about the right time. Also, as @jimmymelrose said ; if it carries on much longer and we get into really good weather then the opposite will happen and people will be heading for the coast.
  • Options

I totally disagree. Sod getting people back to work and things getting back to normal, whatever normal is. If getting back to work has to wait a few more months then so be it. If football doesn’t restart till January so be it. Sod the masses needing something to focus on. If they want something to focus on focus on this. You go back to normal now there is a real possibility you will die. 
    If I don’t go back to work I will need help to pay the bills and the debt will spiral out of control, I won’t be able to afford my house once mortgage holidays stop, the interest being added on a monthly basis might also put the payments out of my budget. It’s easy to type what you typed but in reality, for some, it’s not doable.

I totally agree that football shouldn’t  currently be a consideration, a morning trip to the local country park shouldn’t be a consideration especially if there is a suitable green space within distance of people houses. Hardware stores opening when they offer click and collect shouldn’t be happening.

there are plenty of things people can do at home to retain focus, games, utube quizzes, family time etc. I made a cardboard cut out of myself from boxes that are too big for the recycling bin and I can’t take them to the tip! Kept everyone busy for the afternoon.

the work one is a tricky one as not everyone is furloughed or can work from home. The problem with modern society is that if we are given an inch, some will take a mile.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Reading other forums. Reading about how there are more people out this weekend. Roads are busier. Parks are busier. There comes a time when people look around & say..."I'm ok. My neighbours are ok. My friends are ok. It can't be as bad as people are making it out to be. Fuck it,  lets go out "

FWIW. I stood in a queue outside of ASDA this morning waiting to go in. 30 mins. Nice weather. I wonder if it would be the same in November when its cold & pissing down with rain. Cant see too many people putting up with that. Luckily this virus has struck at about the right time. Also, as @jimmymelrose said ; if it carries on much longer and we get into really good weather then the opposite will happen and people will be heading for the coast.
    Aren’t you in the list to stay at home? Not judging, just curious on how you feel about going out?

im not on the list but have avoided supermarkets. I try to get shopping on line and  use Tesco express if needed
  • Options
    Anyone on the list to stay home, can get home deliveries so no need to go queue. 
  • Options
    My wife is a chemotherapy nurse and yesterday had to take some medicine to a patient who couldn’t attend their appointment on Friday. As it was to a housing estate in Barking that is a bit dodgy I drove her and waited outside in the car. I was surprised how busy the roads were. 
    I have been doing the local shopping last few weeks and yesterday there was definitely a big increase in vehicle numbers. 
  • Options

I totally disagree. Sod getting people back to work and things getting back to normal, whatever normal is. If getting back to work has to wait a few more months then so be it. If football doesn’t restart till January so be it. Sod the masses needing something to focus on. If they want something to focus on focus on this. You go back to normal now there is a real possibility you will die. 
    If I don’t go back to work I will need help to pay the bills and the debt will spiral out of control, I won’t be able to afford my house once mortgage holidays stop, the interest being added on a monthly basis might also put the payments out of my budget. It’s easy to type what you typed but in reality, for some, it’s not doable.

I totally agree that football shouldn’t  currently be a consideration, a morning trip to the local country park shouldn’t be a consideration especially if there is a suitable green space within distance of people houses. Hardware stores opening when they offer click and collect shouldn’t be happening.

there are plenty of things people can do at home to retain focus, games, utube quizzes, family time etc. I made a cardboard cut out of myself from boxes that are too big for the recycling bin and I can’t take them to the tip! Kept everyone busy for the afternoon.

the work one is a tricky one as not everyone is furloughed or can work from home. The problem with modern society is that if we are given an inch, some will take a mile.

For those who have problems paying bills this is really a very difficult situation,and I hope the work side of things can somehow be resolved soon,this certainly is more important than football or any other sport.
    People that are now starting to go out more,flouting the rules are selfish bastards,just one passed on infection can lead to a mass of people contracting this virus.I know it must be appalling to be stuck in a tower block with kids to keep happy,but it is even more appalling to be stuck on ventilator struggling to breath.
    There are things you can do indoors,learn a language,learn a musical instrument you can buy a ukelele or guitar on ebay quite cheap,and when this is all over,you may well have acquired a new skill which will give you satisfaction for years to come.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    My wife is a chemotherapy nurse and yesterday had to take some medicine to a patient who couldn’t attend their appointment on Friday. As it was to a housing estate in Barking that is a bit dodgy I drove her and waited outside in the car. I was surprised how busy the roads were. 
    I have been doing the local shopping last few weeks and yesterday there was definitely a big increase in vehicle numbers. 
    I can see the dartford Bridge from
    my bedroom window. Being proper Charlton, I analyse the traffic and it’s definitely increasing.

we need Boris to interrupt eastenders again to give the nation a telling off
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Over 20,000 peoppe have died. 700 still dying on average every day. We have lost Seb. I have lost an Aunt and I know peoole who have loved lost ones and the Premier League are talking to govt about restarting football. Utervdisgraceful.fuckeits. 
    My thoughts 100% , even if Charlton was top 2 now, I can honestly say stuff football and protect the NHS  and carers etc.
    That might well be true for you, but come on. If we were top two our fans on the whole would be screaming for the season to be finished. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    cblock said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Over 20,000 peoppe have died. 700 still dying on average every day. We have lost Seb. I have lost an Aunt and I know peoole who have loved lost ones and the Premier League are talking to govt about restarting football. Utervdisgraceful.fuckeits. 
    My thoughts 100% , even if Charlton was top 2 now, I can honestly say stuff football and protect the NHS  and carers etc.
    That might well be true for you, but come on. If we were top two our fans on the whole would be screaming for the season to be finished. 
    And they would be wrong.
  • Options
    Just read in todays sun that sports  chiefs are contacting the government next week to discuss resuming their seasons.Do these people not realise that the main priority at the moment is stopping 800 people a day dying,not start playing football so that our destitute premier league clubs can continue to pay their players millions while our NHS are at breaking point trying to cope.
    I’m not quite sure what harm it’s doing having discussions with the government at the moment. Speaking to the Minister of Sport or whoever is not exactly distracting from other ministers from doing there jobs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No  and I don’t think it should more important things than football 
  • Options
    Just read in todays sun that sports  chiefs are contacting the government next week to discuss resuming their seasons.Do these people not realise that the main priority at the moment is stopping 800 people a day dying,not start playing football so that our destitute premier league clubs can continue to pay their players millions while our NHS are at breaking point trying to cope.
    I’m not quite sure what harm it’s doing having discussions with the government at the moment. Speaking to the Minister of Sport or whoever is not exactly distracting from other ministers from doing there jobs.
    My point is I think the government have more important things to deal with,any discussion about sport resuming will have to be taken at a higher level after much discussion all round.Personally if I was an MP and people in my constituency were dying I would tell anyone from the FA or anywhere else to piss off.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    clb74 said:
    If these players get to be tested every few days , the government better have them tests available to the rest of the country.
    I don't get this argument... These are private companies willing to pay well over the top for testing
    Fair enough how will football overcome the 2 metre distancing rule
    Most of our players usually distance themselves 3 metres away from the the nearest opposition player so we will be fine.  The only one who would  have a problem is Pearce..... just doesn’t play him - this will increase our chances of winning as well. 

You distance yourself from the bar when it is your round.
    Only when you are in that particular bar. 
  • Options
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
    This makes complete sense. That’s why I’m convinced they will attempt to finish it unless the government refuses to allow it.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    cblock said:
    Rudders22 said:
    And they would be wrong.
    Of course they would, but that's not the point I was making. I'm just saying it's very easy to claim the moral high ground and focus on the big picture when you're sitting in a relegation spot. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I actually think it will, there’s been more and more talk of it in recent days and I believe we’ll see some progress on the plans this coming week. God knows how they’ll do it though, seems mad they are even thinking about it. 
  • Options
    My point is I think the government have more important things to deal with,any discussion about sport resuming will have to be taken at a higher level after much discussion all round.Personally if I was an MP and people in my constituency were dying I would tell anyone from the FA or anywhere else to piss off.
    I don't think it unreasonable that Oliver Dowden the Sports Minister (plus culture etc), has a meeting with Sports Chiefs about a possible way forward. It's his job and even if it's all going to be called off, it still needs discussing.