Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Just read in todays sun that sports  chiefs are contacting the government next week to discuss resuming their seasons.Do these people not realise that the main priority at the moment is stopping 800 people a day dying,not start playing football so that our destitute premier league clubs can continue to pay their players millions while our NHS are at breaking point trying to cope.
    I’m not quite sure what harm it’s doing having discussions with the government at the moment. Speaking to the Minister of Sport or whoever is not exactly distracting from other ministers from doing there jobs.
    My point is I think the government have more important things to deal with,any discussion about sport resuming will have to be taken at a higher level after much discussion all round.Personally if I was an MP and people in my constituency were dying I would tell anyone from the FA or anywhere else to piss off.
    I don't think it unreasonable that Oliver Dowden the Sports Minister (plus culture etc), has a meeting with Sports Chiefs about a possible way forward. It's his job and even if it's all going to be called off, it still needs discussing.
    Should be a pretty short conversation though, shouldn’t it? He can just point them to the current government guidelines and say “if you think you can play a Premier League football match without breaking any of these then crack on”. 
  • Options
    Frankly football isn’t important. What’s important is that it doesn’t resume. If that means voiding the season great and if it means promotion and relegation as per the current standings then that is fine too. I have a preference but it’s really not important is it.
    It is important for many, but it’s just not as important as the current health crisis. 
    Dutch football has abandoned the season early, and I think others will follow. There can’t be relegation or promotion. Liverpool might be given the title. 
    At least we should avoid relegation. 
  • Options

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
    I actually think it will, there’s been more and more talk of it in recent days and I believe we’ll see some progress on the plans this coming week. God knows how they’ll do it though, seems mad they are even thinking about it. 
    So how can players SAFELY play behind closed doors?
  • Options
    Im sure restaurants and pubs have been seeking advice from the relevant government sector about when they can open, how they will open with restrictions etc. I see no different in the FA speaking with the sports minister. All the government has to do to any suggestions is say No. 

Considering the article was in The Sun, it was always going to be exaggerated.
  • Options
    I really hope they don't resume this season. Aside from the fact voiding the whole thing is the fairest way of doing things and follows the precedent set by the Netherlands, I just don't have the energy to worry about Charlton as well. It all seems so trivial with what's currently going on and I can't imagine anything other than a dull ache at us inevitably getting relegated, which I don't need to add on to my plate right now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    What’s the quickest turnaround between test and result ? Four hours ? Players and other important staff would need to be tested on day of match perhaps five hours prior to kickoff and remain separated until the result was in. All negative then all good ? What happens when one is not or what about the travelling team from three hours away ? Test the evening before and remain isolated until coach departs ? How on earth could that be trusted given the inbuilt stupidity of young footballers. The logistics are horrendous and if football goes down the route of continuing the season then it’s a basket case even more than I thought it was.
  • Options
    What’s the quickest turnaround between test and result ? Four hours ? Players and other important staff would need to be tested on day of match perhaps five hours prior to kickoff and remain separated until the result was in. All negative then all good ? What happens when one is not or what about the travelling team from three hours away ? Test the evening before and remain isolated until coach departs ? How on earth could that be trusted given the inbuilt stupidity of young footballers. The logistics are horrendous and if football goes down the route of continuing the season then it’s a basket case even more than I thought it was.
    Moise Kean at Everton is a perfect example for your case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    clb74 said:
    If these players get to be tested every few days , the government better have them tests available to the rest of the country.
    I don't get this argument... These are private companies willing to pay well over the top for testing
    Also
    Will I have the option of buying these tests?
    Yes, if you want to pay for private testing, you can
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Whilst we can’t get healthcare, key workers and their families tested in great enough numbers I think it would be a bad look if Premier League squads were getting tested on a bi-weekly basis (even if they were paying for it privately). 
    Absolutely. Only greed mad football would even consider the prospect. They will do it if allowed and if that’s allowed who can blame idiot others for taking football as their lead. 
  • Options
    I think pretty much everyone on here is in agreement that’s it’s well too early to resume and should probably be the last thing to get back up and running. However, there is no harm in correspondence between the FA and government. If the FA suggestions are unsafe then tell them to go away. I’m sure the organisers of the London Marathon are in continual correspondence with the government seeing as that’s scheduled for October.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
    I actually think it will, there’s been more and more talk of it in recent days and I believe we’ll see some progress on the plans this coming week. God knows how they’ll do it though, seems mad they are even thinking about it. 
    They can’t play a professional football match and stay within the government guidelines. 
    That’s my point. So imagine they restart the Premier League season behind closed doors. What happens when a player develops C-19 symptoms? 
  • Options
    An interesting comment by Alec Stewart considering the possible return of cricket, which is that if you're going to have mobile testing units at football and cricket grounds to enable them to play, what about say investment banks or other sectors?

Logically, there's no difference. If you're allowing one group of people to go back to their job because of the high level of testing, why not Goldman Sachs or the cast of Eastenders?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    They can’t play a professional football match and stay within the government guidelines. 
    That’s my point. So imagine they restart the Premier League season behind closed doors. What happens when a player develops C-19 symptoms? 
    They get treatment and put additional pressure on the health care system I suppose. 

Do you think I’m arguing that football should be re-started? That’s not what I’m saying at all if so. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    You can bet your arse the press will be slating the Government for allowing Sports to restart rather than the Sporting bodies / Media for pushing towards a restart
  • Options
    More I see of this the more it's going to be incredibly difficult to finish the season. Everybody else has to keep socially distant but footballers required to run at each other in close quarters? Maybe a vote from clubs to decide but this could come down to which chosen solution is least disputable legally. Not good for Charlton but I would choose average points per game as majority of season has been completed. Use the 37 games rather than throw the division away for 9 games. Next season is no gimme either. Charlton not the only club with financial problems.
  • Options

Serie A sides will be allowed to return to individual training on 4 May and team training on 18 May after the Italian prime minister announced the first steps in lifting the country's coronavirus lockdown.

There are hopes Serie A fixtures could resume between 27 May and 2 June, with an end date for the season of early August.

• Options
    So assuming we copy Italy and taking into account we are a few weeks behind them with lock down, we would be looking to finish end of August early September. Which is a couple of assumptions too far. 
    I can see the sponsors around the world and our own media liking this idea but I think it would be foolhardy in the extreme to do this. There are just too many things to align to make this happen and I can't see many of the logistical problems satisfactory resolved let alone the obvious huge one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So assuming we copy Italy and taking into account we are a few weeks behind them with lock down, we would be looking to finish end of August early September. Which is a couple of assumptions too far. 
    I can see the sponsors around the world and our own media liking this idea but I think it would be foolhardy in the extreme to do this. There are just too many things to align to make this happen and I can't see many of the logistical problems satisfactory resolved let alone the obvious huge one.
    Be interested to see what the Sporting Bodies etc. have planned should this season be finished, i.e. in terms of actually starting the next one

As so far there is quite simply nothing other than talk about getting this one started - Do we go straight into the next one and have no pre-season or does that start later too?

Really wont be surprised to see this season finishing and then them being asked about the next with the response being: "Errrrrr"
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I would imagine that if testing was available for playing squads it would be quite feasible to restart. I know there are bigger priorities, but the return of football would be a reward for many of the population. I think the league has to be the priority, european games are out of the question. Squads could be tested and kept together for a month and within that time the matches played. Playing a match every three days would mean you could play the remaining 9 games in 27 days.

The logistics would need a bit of work, but televising and charging supporters via Valley Pass/ I follow would bring much needed money in. Also it would allow Sky /BT to show all of their contracted fixtures and resolve financial issues there.
  • Options
    I would imagine that if testing was available for playing squads it would be quite feasible to restart. I know there are bigger priorities, but the return of football would be a reward for many of the population. I think the league has to be the priority, european games are out of the question. Squads could be tested and kept together for a month and within that time the matches played. Playing a match every three days would mean you could play the remaining 9 games in 27 days.

The logistics would need a bit of work, but televising and charging supporters via Valley Pass/ I follow would bring much needed money in. Also it would allow Sky /BT to show all of their contracted fixtures and resolve financial issues there.
    Kept together and isolated for a month ? What’s the point of that. Social distancing will be the mainstay of combatting the virus for a year if not longer. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Tested, then kept together for the month needed to complete the season - probably using the ground as their base. Sleeping, eating within the stadium and training on the pitch. With them a small tested staff of cleaners, chef, medical staff and coach driver.  Away games they are driven to the ground and straight back. Changing and eating on the coach. There would need to be a similar arrangement in a few strategically placed hotels for officials. 

Not great for the players and officials, but only for a month and many of them are probably itching to play. I think it could work. They would be like prisoners for a month, but the season would be finished and we would have loads of footy to watch.
  • Options
    The big issue with any return is the prospect of players/managers catching the virus when football starts - from whatever cause. If my suggestion is implemented (of course it would need support of the players) but if it was, I can't see how the virus could be contracted.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I reckon 80 officials in isolation, maybe 4 groups of 20 strategically placed over the country would cover that side of things. They would be busy but it is doable.
  • Options
    the general view on here is that the season shouldn’t be finished and I agree.

i think it will be finished just because the powers that be are to scared to cancel it and stop vocal Leeds and Liverpool from kicking off for it winning the league/promotion

money also talks and sky plus sponsors must be putting pressure on
  • Options
    5 subs to be used when football returns.  That’s crazy. 
  • Options
    I reckon 80 officials in isolation, maybe 4 groups of 20 strategically placed over the country would cover that side of things. They would be busy but it is doable.
    For a year ? Do me a favour.