Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    My latest view is they will finish it...The premier League have the same amount of games as we have to finish, and are looking to complete by the end of June. The EFL will follow suit....
    I’d bet against. The PL want to finish for financial reasons, but my guess is that they’ll come up against public health advisers at various meetings, and will withdraw their plan ‘with regret’. 

If somehow they got the green light, then when one player tests positive, it’s all over. 
    My rather rather miserable feeling is football won’t restart until there’s a vaccine, or effective treatment at least. It’s a contact sport.  
    What happens if a couple of players from the same team dont want to play.
    Might not want to leave the family or the other half is pregnant 
    They will do what the club's tell them too...or else...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    What is ridiculous is anybody proposing football restarts with fewer restrictions than those I have set out. And we are seeing the football authorities are looking seriously at this.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    A lot of PL overseas have been allowed to go back to their native country to be with their families. Will they manage to get back to the UK. 
    Yeah pretty sure hemed’s in Israel. He ain’t jumping on a plane to Bradford-Leeds for hull away anytime soon.
  • Options
    But there is a wider issue here. What about next season? There is a lot of evidence that crowds are virus spreaders so in the absence of a vaccine, it could be 18 months before we can start football again. 

I would say blue sky thinking is an essential and is it acceptable not to apply any thought to solving this and just let many of our clubs die? If the limit was set as low as ball retrieval issues, it is a wonder how any problem could be solved. :)
  • Options
    I wonder what the refs and other officials feel about this, as unlike the players they don't get a massive salary (especially in the EFL) and most of them are older than the players too. Will THEY also have to isolate themselves in a "ref hotel" for the duration of the rest of the season?
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    There is no way the season will be completed and I doubt next season will start on time either - to be honest I'm past caring. Far more dreadful news to come I reckon. By the time football (or any sport) commences it's quite possible we may not even exist in our present form.
    Do you mean that you think that we are going to mutate?
    Hopefully, into a properly run Championship club with decent owners.
  • Options
    Luton Chief Executive has come out and said the league should be cancelled. 

That's 23rd place in the Championship Luton.  
    Make him right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    My latest view is they will finish it...The premier League have the same amount of games as we have to finish, and are looking to complete by the end of June. The EFL will follow suit....
    I’d bet against. The PL want to finish for financial reasons, but my guess is that they’ll come up against public health advisers at various meetings, and will withdraw their plan ‘with regret’. 

If somehow they got the green light, then when one player tests positive, it’s all over. 
    My rather rather miserable feeling is football won’t restart until there’s a vaccine, or effective treatment at least. It’s a contact sport.  
    What happens if a couple of players from the same team dont want to play.
    Might not want to leave the family or the other half is pregnant 
    They will do what the club's tell them too...or else...
    That’ll look good in the press. The club would be slaughtered. 
  • Options
    Some Premier league teams back in training but training individually. That should answer any questions as to whether the season should resume, if players can’t train together, have to drive to the training ground in training kit, how can they play together
  • Options
    Some Premier league teams back in training but training individually. That should answer any questions as to whether the season should resume, if players can’t train together, have to drive to the training ground in training kit, how can they play together
    Still, they are cracking on for an 8 June return.
  • Options
    Italian clubs have set a date of June 14th as the latest possible date to restart the season, beyond that they will look to declare the season void instead. 
    Government have provisionally said they can return to training May 18th, but the clubs are requesting to start earlier. 
  • Options
    My Sunday league has been declared void now. However no reimbursement of season fees nor any incentive to reapply for next year. 

Also the suggestion of the league returning monies collected from fines shot down even though all records are removed for this season. 
  • Options
    I think the PL is banking on the Government banning any restart in the timescale they're proposing so they can claim on various insurances and/or get out of contract commitments by reason of "force majeure". In the meantime they have to act as if a restart is practicable.
    I was wondering about that

"Sorry Sky and BT (and everyone else) we wanted to finish the season, and provide the contracted 2019/20 games, but the government prevented us. Not our fault. See you next season"
  • Options
    I think the PL is banking on the Government banning any restart in the timescale they're proposing so they can claim on various insurances and/or get out of contract commitments by reason of "force majeure". In the meantime they have to act as if a restart is practicable.
    my thoughts too
  • Options
       EricBanterna said:
    My Sunday league has been declared void now. However no reimbursement of season fees nor any incentive to reapply for next year. 

Also the suggestion of the league returning monies collected from fines shot down even though all records are removed for this season. 
    Seems unfair, but predictable. The club I managed paid nearly £1k in fines last season (I know it was a bit on the high side). It is a nice little earner for the league though. 
  • Options
       EricBanterna said:

Seems unfair, but predictable. The club I managed paid nearly £1k in fines last season (I know it was a bit on the high side). It is a nice little earner for the league though. 
    Are you the Millwall of the league? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There were some circumstances that got us big fines, but they were unfair. I know I would say that but they were. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    I was wondering about that

"Sorry Sky and BT (and everyone else) we wanted to finish the season, and provide the contracted 2019/20 games, but the government prevented us. Not our fault. See you next season"

I thought Sky and BT had already said they wouldn't want any refunds, just more games next year?
  • Options
    There is a school of thought about life going on. We cant not just re-start people going back to work (be it a scaffolder or a footballer) just because people have died. Not saying its right, but the masses need something to focus on & to get back to normality. I hear today that the lockdown has started to crumble & there are more people out & about today. It won't take long for things to start getting rough if people are "locked up" for much longer.

I hear that the WHO are saying that it is very likely that anyone who has had Covid-19 might not be immune & could catch it again. If that is the case then things might as well start getting back to normal. 
    I totally disagree. Sod getting people back to work and things getting back to normal, whatever normal is. If getting back to work has to wait a few more months then so be it. If football doesn’t restart till January so be it. Sod the masses needing something to focus on. If they want something to focus on focus on this. You go back to normal now there is a real possibility you will die. 
    But you have been going to work, what is it, four days a week?

So you have been getting out of the house and earning money.

Some people, including myself, have been staying home and have earnt nothing since early March.

What are we supposed to be focusing on? 

We can't go back to the old normal but we can make a new normal with preventative measures, just as we have made cars safer, rather than saying that we have to go back to the horse and carriage.
  • Options
    French Ligue 1 and 2 have followed the dutch example and ended the season.
  • Options
    This season just cannot finish - Are the players going to be tested constantly? If one of them gets a persistent cough, do they then cancel the teams fixtures for the next 14 days? There would be so many matches cancelled, I just can't see it working, as much as I would love to have sport back in my life.
  • Options
    I'm confused  .com