Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal players have apparently returned to training today, no car sharing and social distancing is "apparently" being maintained while they are there.
  • Options
    30th June are when contracts expire - no current solution to this and nothing legally binding even if so

EFL say the season can be completed within 56 days. This means 30th June minus 56 means the league must restart no later than 5th May.

Then Lee Bowyer says the players need 4 weeks to prepare for a restart. So take 28 days away from 5th May and we're at 7th April which is 18 days ago.

Even if all teams go straight in with no preparation that's still 5th May the latest it can start for a 30th June finish. This is 10 days away...roughly in line with the next lockdown update from the government.

So my guess is if the lockdown is extended which looks likely you can pretty much kiss goodbye any hope of the season ending by 30th June.
    @MuttleyCAFC do you genuinely believe the 56 days plan to be completed by 30th June will work?

It would need to start no later than 8 days time...and with no preparation, straight in.
  • Options
    On the upside I think you'd see a lot more goals with unfit and ill-prepared teams. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    No, under a month to complete the season. One match every 3 days for 27 days!
  • Options
    Premier league will probably finish now. Can’t see any clubs outside the premier league having the resources to afford what would be required to complete the season.

Question is will watching Liverpool v Burnley on training ground pitches, played in front on no-one whilst we are still lockdown in our houses improve the spirit of the public or make it worse? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    30th June are when contracts expire - no current solution to this and nothing legally binding even if so

EFL say the season can be completed within 56 days. This means 30th June minus 56 means the league must restart no later than 5th May.

Then Lee Bowyer says the players need 4 weeks to prepare for a restart. So take 28 days away from 5th May and we're at 7th April which is 18 days ago.

Even if all teams go straight in with no preparation that's still 5th May the latest it can start for a 30th June finish. This is 10 days away...roughly in line with the next lockdown update from the government.

So my guess is if the lockdown is extended which looks likely you can pretty much kiss goodbye any hope of the season ending by 30th June.
    @MuttleyCAFC do you genuinely believe the 56 days plan to be completed by 30th June will work?

It would need to start no later than 8 days time...and with no preparation, straight in.
    I believe the league can be completed safely but my plan would require no contact whatsoever apart from players, officials and support teams that are tested to be Covid free at the outset with each other. 27 days to complete the matches and possibly up to another 28 to prepare, regain fitness. Maybe the fitness initial period could be halved seeing as it should be the same for everybody.

My fear is that with the slightest contact, there could be an outbreak. Even if it is a couple of players, it knocks everything on it's head. But stadiums have ample room to quarantine the people required, even the more modest ones. Coventry is probably the issue to be solved there.
  • Options
    Colchester have had to release a few players already.
  • Options
    I would imagine that if testing was available for playing squads it would be quite feasible to restart. I know there are bigger priorities, but the return of football would be a reward for many of the population. I think the league has to be the priority, european games are out of the question. Squads could be tested and kept together for a month and within that time the matches played. Playing a match every three days would mean you could play the remaining 9 games in 27 days.

The logistics would need a bit of work, but televising and charging supporters via Valley Pass/ I follow would bring much needed money in. Also it would allow Sky /BT to show all of their contracted fixtures and resolve financial issues there.

And this applies to the other three divisions as well?
  • Options
    Tested, then kept together for the month needed to complete the season - probably using the ground as their base. Sleeping, eating within the stadium and training on the pitch. With them a small tested staff of cleaners, chef, medical staff and coach driver.  Away games they are driven to the ground and straight back. Changing and eating on the coach. There would need to be a similar arrangement in a few strategically placed hotels for officials. 

Not great for the players and officials, but only for a month and many of them are probably itching to play. I think it could work. They would be like prisoners for a month, but the season would be finished and we would have loads of footy to watch.
    You think players will agree to this? Being away from their families just so people can get their football fix? Ridiculous idea. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Colchester have had to release a few players already.
    Well one was Frank Nouble so a bit of a blessing for their fans ;)
  • Options
    Premier league will probably finish now. Can’t see any clubs outside the premier league having the resources to afford what would be required to complete the season.

Question is will watching Liverpool v Burnley on training ground pitches, played in front on no-one whilst we are still lockdown in our houses improve the spirit of the public or make it worse? 
    If Burnley win improve my spirit 
  • Options
    Will they change the rules to allow "multiball" as the perfect way for struggling sides to slow the game down will be to hoof it into the empty stands!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Tested, then kept together for the month needed to complete the season - probably using the ground as their base. Sleeping, eating within the stadium and training on the pitch. With them a small tested staff of cleaners, chef, medical staff and coach driver.  Away games they are driven to the ground and straight back. Changing and eating on the coach. There would need to be a similar arrangement in a few strategically placed hotels for officials. 

Not great for the players and officials, but only for a month and many of them are probably itching to play. I think it could work. They would be like prisoners for a month, but the season would be finished and we would have loads of footy to watch.
    You think players will agree to this? Being away from their families just so people can get their football fix? Ridiculous idea. 
    I don't know. I would say getting their agreement would be the most difficult aspect though not impossible. The same as players agree to go on camps pre-season or major tournaments. But it is about two things: A completing the season and helping clubs survive financially and B helping the morale of the population.
  • Options
    Will they change the rules to allow "multiball" as the perfect way for struggling sides to slow the game down will be to hoof it into the empty stands!
    Are you suggesting games have not been played behind closed doors before? You would use the support staff as ball retrievers, along with an element of multi-ball.
  • Options

And this is why it's not really completing the season so much as playing games under completely different circumstances. Some teams will play away games in front of big crowds, others will play away games... at a training ground somewhere. 
  • Options

Worse, it will also encourage people to not social distance because their hero’s on tv aren’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luton Chief Executive has come out and said the league should be cancelled. 

That's 23rd place in the Championship Luton.  
    But how does he feel the League should be resolved if it does get cancelled?

All I'm seeing is clubs saying it should be cancelled if they're in trouble (e.g. Charlton | Luton | Accrington) or that it should be resumed the moment it can be (Leeds | Liverpool | Peterborough), hell Darragh McAnthony was even saying the other day on twitter that the Sunderland owner agreed with him - In that instance I thought it was all well and good but your getting the agreement of another club who could potentially profit from the League resuming rather than being declared null and void

The clubs I'd be most interested in hearing from are those who pretty much know that Mid-table is the best they can hope for this season

Effectively those that dont care either way as they know they'll be in said League regardless next season

Unfortunately dont think there are too many clubs in that equasion at the moment, clubs either have a foot in the Play-Off / Promotion race or are nervous about relegation
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
    I actually think it will, there’s been more and more talk of it in recent days and I believe we’ll see some progress on the plans this coming week. God knows how they’ll do it though, seems mad they are even thinking about it. 
    So how can players SAFELY play behind closed doors?
    They can’t play a professional football match and stay within the government guidelines. 
    That’s my point. So imagine they restart the Premier League season behind closed doors. What happens when a player develops C-19 symptoms? 
    They get treatment and put additional pressure on the health care system I suppose. 

Do you think I’m arguing that football should be re-started? That’s not what I’m saying at all if so. 
    👍
    The big issue that doesn’t get mentioned is that what will happen if a player tests positive is that anyone who came into contact with him will have to self isolate, meaning much of his own squad and backroom staff, and any team that he has played against.
    So effectively the season ends right there. 
  • Options
    I think players would be commended for their sacrifice and people would understand that the games were being played under a large scale quarantine. Every season ticket holder would get free access to televised games and others would pay a reasonable price, bringing in money that could help clubs survive.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting games have not been played behind closed doors before? You would use the support staff as ball retrievers, along with an element of multi-ball.
    Support staff at matches will be at a minimum. No ball boys for a start, as you can hardly isolate children away from their families for a month. When we've played FA Cup matches at The Valley it's been tedious enough waiting for the ball to be retrieved from the empty East Stand, and that's just one section
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I now think that this season won’t finish, and next season won’t start, and may also be abandoned. 
    Playing behind doors won’t happen either. They’d have to test all the players all the time, and if one was infected, they’d be back to square one. It’d be a farce. 
    I actually think it will, there’s been more and more talk of it in recent days and I believe we’ll see some progress on the plans this coming week. God knows how they’ll do it though, seems mad they are even thinking about it. 
    So how can players SAFELY play behind closed doors?
    They can’t play a professional football match and stay within the government guidelines. 
    That’s my point. So imagine they restart the Premier League season behind closed doors. What happens when a player develops C-19 symptoms? 
    They get treatment and put additional pressure on the health care system I suppose. 

Do you think I’m arguing that football should be re-started? That’s not what I’m saying at all if so. 
    👍
    The big issue that doesn’t get mentioned is that what will happen if a player tests positive is that anyone who came into contact with him will have to self isolate, meaning much of his own squad and backroom staff, and any team that he has played against.
    So effectively the season ends right there. 
    I agree, so the only way you could really do it would be to shut the players and officials off for the duration needed. If you did something that didn't involve that, you would start, then potentially stop again at great cost and confusion. But why my plan probably wouldn't work is players may not sign up to it. Even if it was a small number it would be a massive issue. Mind you, I don't know what players may be thinking, If I was a lower league player, I might think it was in my interest to stop clubs going bankrupt. 
  • Options

All I'm seeing is clubs saying it should be cancelled if they're in trouble (e.g. Charlton | Luton | Accrington) or that it should be resumed the moment it can be (Leeds | Liverpool | Peterborough), hell Darragh McAnthony was even saying the other day on twitter that the Sunderland owner agreed with him - In that instance I thought it was all well and good but your getting the agreement of another club who could potentially profit from the League resuming rather than being declared null and void

The clubs I'd be most interested in hearing from are those who pretty much know that Mid-table is the best they can hope for this season

Effectively those that dont care either way as they know they'll be in said League regardless next season

Unfortunately dont think there are too many clubs in that equasion at the moment, clubs either have a foot in the Play-Off / Promotion race or are nervous about relegation
    If this had happened a year ago, with us in the playoffs and the form team, and things fairly stable off the field, I wonder what the reaction here would have been to voiding the season...

Or going back, if this had happened in 2000 when we on the verge on winning the Championship?
  • Options
    Support staff at matches will be at a minimum. No ball boys for a start, as you can hardly isolate children away from their families for a month. When we've played FA Cup matches at The Valley it's been tedious enough waiting for the ball to be retrieved from the empty East Stand, and that's just one section
    I did say in my plan that cleaners and cooks and coach drivers would be needed, then you have squad players not playing. More than enough people. look it is a thinking aloud idea, and I realise it is problematic but whilst unlikely to happen, it could work safely in principle.
  • Options
    I did say in my plan that cleaners and cooks and coach drivers would be needed, then you have squad players not playing. More than enough people. look it is a thinking aloud idea, and I realise it is problematic but whilst unlikely to happen, it could work safely in principle.
    What about the other 3 divisions?
  • Options

If this had happened a year ago, with us in the playoffs and the form team, and things fairly stable off the field, I wonder what the reaction here would have been to voiding the season...

Or going back, if this had happened in 2000 when we on the verge on winning the Championship?
    Absolutely not unfortunately there's nowt as fickle as folk and despite the fact many will say " I would of said that anyway" most wouldn't.