Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    "A major change to the English lockdown regulations is coming into force at 11:30am tomorrow. It will no longer be illegal to leave or be outside of home without reasonable excuse. Instead, it will be illegal to stay overnight away from home without reasonable excuse"

Pretty much taking away police powers to enforce any regulation. 
  • Options
    Was it ever? Rules are a joke and have been from the outset. Cummings has rendered them unenforeceable anyway, and shown them up for the nonsense they are.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Was surprised to receive an email from the LTA this afternoon advising doubles tennis is permissable from tomorrow. As Club Chairman I have communicated this to our members, but can't help thinking this is a trifle premature. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Was it ever? Rules are a joke and have been from the outset. Cummings has rendered them unenforeceable anyway, and shown them up for the nonsense they are.
    Have they been a joke from the outset? Looks to me like whatever the rules were they have forced the infection rate down to where it is now.

Obviously every time period is crucial, but for me none so much as the next 2 to 3 weeks. Let's see if we get the second spike that many seem sure about.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I despair at the attitude some people have these days, they have no thought for anyone but themselves.  If a bin is full they should take it home with them, they managed to take it there, so can do the same when they leave. Makes me mad at the selfishness of some people.

The thing is me14 ive just met the boy up the park the bins have not been emptied from last night.
    Would bins normally be emptied on a Sunday?  That the bins have not been emptied is no excuse for leaving rubbish beside the bin.
    The rubbish i see in the park was by the bin , just empty the bin once a day.
    This also happens outside of lockdown.
    Also one fella in the park left the park put his rubbish cans of beer by the bin.
    However he returned a little bit later with a little carrier bag  with more beer.
    Is he meant to carry the rubbish round until he returns home or finds an empty bin?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Have they been a joke from the outset? Looks to me like whatever the rules were they have forced the infection rate down to where it is now.

Obviously every time period is crucial, but for me none so much as the next 2 to 3 weeks. Let's see if we get the second spike that many seem sure about.
    A joke is probably putting it a bit strongly for the initial implementation, but it's fair to say there's been a degree of inconsistency from the outset.

Since 'stay alert' it's fallen completely to pieces.

• Options
    I thought it was a bit of a tangent, but I believe that folk stuck at home, with even a passing interest in the news, will be aware of the behaviour of Dominic Cummings.
    I think his behaviour, more than the pathetic 'stay alert' slogan, is what is leading to the breakdown of what was quite reasonable compliance and behaviour by the vast majority of people.
    I carry with me anti-Tory bias so that colours my opinion.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

A joke is probably putting it a bit strongly for the initial implementation, but it's fair to say there's been a degree of inconsistency from the outset.

You may be right, and this time next month we will certainly know if this is the case. My own personal feelings are that the government are certainly taking a big risk - but I do believe on the whole that transmission of the virus outdoors is much lower than it is inside.

I think people see pictures of lots of people on the beach, and in parks and automatically think the worst, but generally most people will be sticking to their small groups of friends or family and not mixing with other people.

Events like Cheltenham would have been alot worst with lots of people crammed on public transport, in bars, and in the venue itself together. How the government let that go ahead I just can't wrap my head around.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    I don't know if true, but I've been told there are about 200 drinking outside The Ramblers Rest.
    They didn't say whether the pub was open.

Just back from the ramblers rest.
    Me and the wife had a walk down there and a quick pint.
    Can't see it being open for long.
     You can keep the social distancing down there.
    But quite a few of the younger ones wasnt and it was nearly all youngsters down there.
    There is of course no toilets for anyone. 
    https://m.facebook.com/TheRamblersRest/photos/a.615716881824776/3181004601962645/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R
    You weren’t wrong......
  • Options
    Crazy golf open at Bluewater.  The thread title should be changed to lockdown is over! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

You may be right, and this time next month we will certainly know if this is the case. My own personal feelings are that the government are certainly taking a big risk - but I do believe on the whole that transmission of the virus outdoors is much lower than it is inside.

I think people see pictures of lots of people on the beach, and in parks and automatically think the worst, but generally most people will be sticking to their small groups of friends or family and not mixing with other people.

Events like Cheltenham would have been alot worst with lots of people crammed on public transport, in bars, and in the venue itself together. How the government let that go ahead I just can't wrap my head around.
    There's a very small chance of catching the virus outside when compared to the risk in shops, and more especially hospitals and care homes (and indeed for bus drivers in the early stage)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    msomerton said:
    Where I am lockd down well and truly over. Have had two demonstrations go past my front door.
    The first 50 to 60 cyclists, the usual 20 to 40middle class type with kids in trailers.
    Then later a group of 100 to 150  marching up the road demonstrating about what is going on in the USA, no social distancing and no face covering. They went to an already overcrowded park, watch covid 19 take off again.

Peckham @msomerton ?
    Yes Peckham Rye, social distancing ended here 3 to 4 weeks ago with all this good weather.
  • Options
    A big George Floyd anti US protest in London today, many were wearing masks (but not all) and not much sign of social distancing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52868465
  • Options
    It's been over for a while for the majority.

Just stood on the clifftop for 20 mins before dinner. Every sort of idiocy you might have seen over the last few weeks on display but now within just a few minutes.

People having bbq's on the (bone dry) clifftop, huge amounts of large groups having them on the beach itself most way too close to each other, small kids playing in the surf 5 feet away from the groynes (there's no lifeguards on duty to tell them to steer clear), blokes throwing balls and frisbies to each other over the heads of others, cyclists, skateboarders, scooters mixing on the narrow paths with pedestrians, you would think it's 11am on August Bank hols. 

I watched in astonishment as a group of 14 men, women and children (I counted) from at least 3 different groups manhandled a jetski onto a trailer and back up the beach. There's no slipway or public road and I can only guess the idiot owner somehow got it down the cliff zigzag and is hoping to drag it back up. It will probably take up 75% of the available path to do so. Providing they're physical able to hold the weight and it does not roll backwards, scittling those behind them.

You really need to see it to believe it but I genuinely think, since the shift to Stay Aware, lockdown has completely broken down in my area. 

• Options
    Crazy golf open at Bluewater.  The thread title should be changed to lockdown is over! 

Took the kids on Friday, was good fun and well organised. Strange walking around inside an empty Bluewater after getting a Starbucks
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Think the 16-25 years old range didn’t take lockdown seriously to start with to be honest. 

Always seen groups of them over the park since day one. 
    The reality is that they are at very little risk of being seriously affected by COVID. Not zero risk, but low enough for the deaths elsewhere to not hit home as something to be worried about.

The important thing is that they don't meet with vulnerable people, and if I was in that category I'd rather trust my own instincts and stay extra safe, rather than relying on a 17 year old to be sensible...
    Even then, it could be passed on 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand etc.
    If you're vulnerable you're better off taking no chances.
    If you want to take a chance that's up to the individuals (although not always if you have a carer etc).
  • Options
    A big George Floyd anti US protest in London today, many were wearing masks (but not all) and not much sign of social distancing...

Wankers the lot of them
    Post of the day. Totally agree.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    msomerton said:
    se9addick said:
    msomerton said:
    Where I am lockd down well and truly over. Have had two demonstrations go past my front door.
    The first 50 to 60 cyclists, the usual 20 to 40middle class type with kids in trailers.
    Then later a group of 100 to 150  marching up the road demonstrating about what is going on in the USA, no social distancing and no face covering. They went to an already overcrowded park, watch covid 19 take off again.

Peckham @msomerton ?
    Yes Peckham Rye, social distancing ended here 3 to 4 weeks ago with all this good weather.

Way before the Cummings saga then ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52867140

People STILL tombstoning there, it beggars belief really
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    My 11 yr old son is heavily involved in motorsport via his karting. Circuits have begun to open for practice sessions...  with promises of heavily restricted numbers and distancing. 
    However a track next weekend is opening to host c100 drivers plus up to 2 ‘helpers’... so that’s 3-350 people once staff are taken into account gathering for a sports event.

Likewise other tracks widely hosting c100 people on site for the last 10 days or so.

Am I right in thinking this shouldn’t be happening?
  • Options
    Any updates on the Isle of Wight experiment, and the test track and trace system sort of out there?
    Is it doing any good or making any difference?
  • Options
    People had just had enough, which is why lockdown has disintegrated. Not because of Cummings. 

• Options
    Walking the dog at Footscray meadows yesterday, parts of it looked like a pop concert had recently finished there.

One field had a 20 square yard area full of pre mixed gin & tonic bottles & cans, plus the obligatory plastic food wrapper's.

Almost certainly caused by youngsters, my faith in human nature was partially restored by a young guy ( say early 20's ) who was collecting said rubbish with large bag's.

I congratulated him, he was a volunteer.
  • Options
    The littering really does piss me off, a lot of parks have taken away bins to stop people touching them but people are too lazy to take there litter home with them, my aunt lives in broadstairs - she hasn’t been down the front in 4 weeks due to the sheer numbers of people down there, the weather is nice but if this virus isn’t culled by October then it will kill so many more 
  • Options
    just just tell people they have to go outside for 12 hrs a day and congregate outside pubs and on the beach and aren’t allowed to stay indoors and drink for more than 1 hr a day
  • Options

Wankers the lot of them
    Post of the day. Totally agree.
    chanting for f the police havent we been clapping for key workers the past 10 weeks.
  • Options
    A food parcel arrived on our doorstep this morning (first time), my health is the reason so apparently  I qualify, we are now trying to put a stop to more arriving or at least trying to divert/give it to somebody who needs it more ,also I'm now locked in for at least another two weeks, I'm totally confused by the current 'rules ' and I don't think I'm the only person .