Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    I can’t believe anyone would’ve wanted to head down there today knowing how packed it would be
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Major incident?
    Probably the infrastructure of the town hasn't been set up yet to deal with the numbers, and as @Bournemouth Addick has said, the place is struggling badly
    No, it's just a few extra sunbathers apparently. 

The fact we are still battling a fecking pandemic seems to have passed a lot of the public by and they need looking after for their own good as they don't seem blessed in the common sense department that our government seems to be relying on. 
    As I suggested yesterday if Bournemouth can't cope a temporary measure would be turning away traffic on route.

Police the "X" amount of roundabouts outside town and turn away day trippers.
    Once it's on the news there won't be the same amount arriving the following day.
    I believe they looked into doing that back at the start of May but there's no legal justification for it so it was a non-starter. 

I honestly don't get why anyone seeing the state of the place yesterday and then overnight thought to themselves, "Cracking I'll drive down there tomorrow and have a bit of that myself!" but clearly it hasn't put people off coming. Just don't get what they get out of being in that environment. 
    If they have declared a major incident today I’d have thought there would have been legal justifications to control numbers , they clearly saw this coming back in may. If they have to wait to declare a major incident before they can act that’s crazy , prevention always better than cure.
    No way in the world I could enjoy anything with all those people around , but I’d love to have had a pub there this week!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    cabbles said:
    I can’t believe anyone would’ve wanted to head down there today knowing how packed it would be
    BBC reporting that people have travelled down from Birmingham to Bourenmouth, why????????????
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    cabbles said:
    BBC reporting that people have travelled down from Birmingham to Bourenmouth, why????????????
    Have you ever been to Birmingham?
    Lol, yes, and I have been to Bournemouth. I would not choose to visit either on a hot sunny day, Bourenmouth is known for being packed in the summer.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    If you’ve been to Birmingham, you would know why!

seriously, probably boredom! I know it’s not a satisfactory answer but it’s probably the answer!
  • Options

Dorset councillor Laura Miller said she was verbally abused and spat at as she directed traffic at Durdle Door on Wednesday. 
    Roads to the beauty spot were closed after people failed to use the pre-booking parking system.
    "Our local industry is dependent on tourism - we're not saying 'don't come', but come here in a safe and managed way. When it's too busy, no-one is having fun," she said.

so they are not saying don’t come but do come but when you come come in a safe & managed way , that sounds a fair point but what is a managed way & who is responsible for arranging it ?

The local mp says it’s “not practical “ to close the beach , it’s also not practical to have it how it is, he did suggest a sign on the motorway would help so that should be the end of that!!!
  • Options
    Interesting that this thread has the word 'gradually' in the title.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Herd instinct, maybe they know of no other beach in the South?

Weston-super-mare for example would have been nearer and much easier to drive to
  • Options
    This isn't in the spirit of the above, but are we allowed to fly and/or get trains from next month?

Scotland's tourism is scheduled to open on 15/7 and my would-be airline say safety measures will be in place. Booking trains is (rightly) still very restricted. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    This isn't in the spirit of the above, but are we allowed to fly and/or get trains from next month?

Scotland's tourism is scheduled to open on 15/7 and my would-be airline say safety measures will be in place. Booking trains is (rightly) still very restricted. 
    I didn’t realise the trains were still restricted, where are you flying from - too?
  • Options
    Decent real ale shack on the pier at Herne Bay.
    Apparently Brixton was busy last night also.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Mental.  One guy on the news just now who was interviewed on the beach

’it’s crazy, people are just doing what they want.  I think there’ll be a second wave’

Including him....you couldn’t write this stuff 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It’s happened over a couple of months now & with football stadium closed to fans (not sue😉) play areas & theatres etc still closed possibly until next year I’d say it was fairly gradual 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I didn’t realise the trains were still restricted, where are you flying from - too?
    London to Dundee. I've been checking trains to Scotland on and off, you still can't book more than a week in advance. Unless "not available to buy" means the limited seats have already gone. I may as well just book the flights, any train prices I've seen have been very expensive. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It’s happened over a couple of months now & with football stadium closed to fans (not sue😉) play areas & theatres etc still closed possibly until next year I’d say it was fairly gradual 
    OK.
    Sometimes it feels like a series of leaps rather than a steady controlled process.
    I put that down to mixed messaging and a degree of ignorance and misunderstanding...oh and Dominic fecking Cummings as well.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Major incident?
    Probably the infrastructure of the town hasn't been set up yet to deal with the numbers, and as @Bournemouth Addick has said, the place is struggling badly
    No, it's just a few extra sunbathers apparently. 

The fact we are still battling a fecking pandemic seems to have passed a lot of the public by and they need looking after for their own good as they don't seem blessed in the common sense department that our government seems to be relying on. 
    I’m with you here Bournemouth. Can’t believe the amount of people crowded onto the beaches. Are they mad? The thing is a number will get it, won’t show symptoms, then in a few weeks will be moaning like hell because Granny Ethel passed away in a care home and it’s a disgrace and why didn’t the Government do more about it, blah, blah, blah. And no consideration for the residents of these coastal resorts. Nope, sod them. Bunch of selfish bastards.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    RedPanda said:

London to Dundee. I've been checking trains to Scotland on and off, you still can't book more than a week in advance. Unless "not available to buy" means the limited seats have already gone. I may as well just book the flights, any train prices I've seen have been very expensive. 
    I’ll be flying to Dundee as soon as possible. Lovely little airport and near the station for onward travel to the highlands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    It’s because I opened the thread several weeks ago when we were supposed to be in effective lockdown. At that point even the slightest change was noticeable so the thread was essentially about people noticing gradual changes. The title is irrelevant now as lockdown fell to bits weeks ago. 
  • Options
    I had the misfortune of having to go into town today. The zombie hoards have been building back up for a week or two but today could easily have passed for a particularly busy August Bank Hols not a Wednesday on a school day. Social distancing down to about 30cms. Very disconcerting to have to be amongst it tbh. Won't be going back just yet even if my employer requests it. 

Boris has re-iterated what he said in the Commons and that this is the fault of the local authorities who should have shown "some guts". In any event, he thinks these bathers will be fine as long as they do not play with one of those nasty "vector of diseases" sphere shaped objects - otherwise known as a cricket ball.
  • Options
    Strip local authorities of money then blame them for not having enough money to make everything work.
    With half a million people on their doorstep I’d have thought it an ideal chance for the local authorities to make some money
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    We went to littlestone and it wasn't anywhere near as busy. Easy to social distance. Pebbly beach mind. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    We went to littlestone and it wasn't anywhere near as busy. Easy to social distance. Pebbly beach mind. 
    I have some very happy memories of family holidays at Littlestone when I was young.

• Options
    Every time people see that others are flouting the rules and getting away with it, more and more think that it is okay to forget about social distancing.

Although we've never had a proper lockdown, like some of the more successful countries at controlling the spread of the virus, there has been a gradual increase in people failing to observe the rules.

It started with Dominic Cummings, then when people were allowed to travel in May, we saw people flocking to beaches. Then came all the protests which were illegal mass gatherings and shouldn't have been allowed. Many people now think that it okay to do exactly as they please; there are illegal street parties and raves and disgusting behaviour by people flocking to beaches.

The Police have a difficult enough job to do and people flouting the rules know they don't have the ability to stop antisocial acts. 

Can’t understand the comment that we never had a proper lockdown. For almost 6 weeks I only left the house for exercise an hour a day. 

On Day 1 of lockdown was plenty of teenagers hanging around in groups in my area. If you asked most people under the age of 20 whether they followed locked down rules I imagine they would probably say no. 

Police didn’t have any issue tracking with drones the old couple walking in Derbyshire back in March.

• Options
    2121 said:
    we rent a big house every other year with all the family across Christmas week down there, kids are on the beach xmas day and boxing day