Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Every time people see that others are flouting the rules and getting away with it, more and more think that it is okay to forget about social distancing.

Although we've never had a proper lockdown, like some of the more successful countries at controlling the spread of the virus, there has been a gradual increase in people failing to observe the rules.

It started with Dominic Cummings, then when people were allowed to travel in May, we saw people flocking to beaches. Then came all the protests which were illegal mass gatherings and shouldn't have been allowed. Many people now think that it okay to do exactly as they please; there are illegal street parties and raves and disgusting behaviour by people flocking to beaches.

The Police have a difficult enough job to do and people flouting the rules know they don't have the ability to stop antisocial acts. 

Can’t understand the comment that we never had a proper lockdown. For almost 6 weeks I only left the house for exercise an hour a day. 

On Day 1 of lockdown was plenty of teenagers hanging around in groups in my area. If you asked most people under the age of 20 whether they followed locked down rules I imagine they would probably say no. 

Police didn’t have any issue tracking with drones the old couple walking in Derbyshire back in March.

That shows we didnt have a proper lockdown imo. As many of us played by the rules. Many also didnt.
  • Options
    Other countries did have proper lockdowns, Spain and Italy were much tougher than we were in the UK and didn't have the freedom we had here.

People were allowed out supposedly for exercise for one hour, but as you say @SouthWest_Addicks teenagers were flouting the rules and gathering in groups from day 1. 

The Police were criticised for being too harsh in their interpretation of Government advice and so then took a more lenient line. Now it is impossible for them to keep control when people ignore the rules.

Yeah exactly, our lockdown was not strict enough, it was just like a normal day out there from the beginning of it, there's going to be a second peak etc etc.

Over in Europe they all followed the rules of their lockdown, no one ever put a belt around a cuddly bear and pretended they were taking a dog for a walk to get around the rules.
  • Options
    just seen the news, 33 tonnes of rubbish alone left on Bournemouth beach yesterday !!
  • Options
    Every time people see that others are flouting the rules and getting away with it, more and more think that it is okay to forget about social distancing.

Although we've never had a proper lockdown, like some of the more successful countries at controlling the spread of the virus, there has been a gradual increase in people failing to observe the rules.

It started with Dominic Cummings, then when people were allowed to travel in May, we saw people flocking to beaches. Then came all the protests which were illegal mass gatherings and shouldn't have been allowed. Many people now think that it okay to do exactly as they please; there are illegal street parties and raves and disgusting behaviour by people flocking to beaches.

The Police have a difficult enough job to do and people flouting the rules know they don't have the ability to stop antisocial acts. 

Can’t understand the comment that we never had a proper lockdown. For almost 6 weeks I only left the house for exercise an hour a day. 

On Day 1 of lockdown was plenty of teenagers hanging around in groups in my area. If you asked most people under the age of 20 whether they followed locked down rules I imagine they would probably say no. 

Police didn’t have any issue tracking with drones the old couple walking in Derbyshire back in March.

That shows we didnt have a proper lockdown imo. As many of us played by the rules. Many also didnt.
    That’s the same argument for anything. It’s arguable that we don’t have a tax system, because some people pay tax whilst other deliberately avoid it. 

Personally, I think people a lot of people are bored of the restrictions, and don’t care about it anymore. Will more government restrictions make them care, properly not. Will an increase death rate make them care, probably not.

A large percent of articles suggest a form of social distancing will exist until 2021. People are unwilling to accept that and have decided against the new normal.

• Options
    I wonder how pissed off the local business owners whose amenities were open yesterday are with people coming to visit?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So come on then what really changes on the 4th of July?
    This summer shall we say half the people who go abroad won't be going abroad?
    The hotels start to open on the 4th of July, now I've been looking at the one in Eastbourne we go to.
    The bar and restaurant will be closed and it looks like your just be in your room with nothing else to do in the hotel, So if I don't want to be in my room for the whole time I'm  there where else will I be going?.
    I don't think for the seaside resorts it gets any easier from the 4th of July,  in fact in terms of numbers I think there will be more heading to the beaches.
    Hotels, holiday camps opening and due to social distancing there will be f@ck all to do on site.
    To make it easier this summer just close the seaside resort and have them open to locals only, keep the hotels and holiday camps closed and everyone will know where they are.
    I will await someone to tell me, but hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost that shops , hotels and b and bs will close.
    Or are we saying limit the number of visitors to a place , with the police turning back people in their cars when a seaside town has reached its numbers.
    If I decide to go down the coast on the 5th of July how will I know how busy it will be till I get down there?

• Options

It’s a bit harsh saying going to the beach is disgusting behaviour and flouting rules. It’s allowed. It should be policed/marshalled better with the policing and marshalling in place before the beaches opened.

im sure I will be questioned on how I would police this. I haven’t got a clue as this is outside my expertise but it should have been thought through and a condition of the beaches opening 
    It isn't just going to the beach for a lot of them.  There was a piece on BBC South East last night about gatherings of young people on the sea front every night.  They were drunk, some were fighting, taking drugs, defacating behind the beach huts and leaving enormous amounts of rubbish for others to clear up. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    So come on then what really changes on the 4th of July?
    This summer shall we say half the people who go abroad won't be going abroad?
    The hotels start to open on the 4th of July, now I've been looking at the one in Eastbourne we go to.
    The bar and restaurant will be closed and it looks like your just be in your room with nothing else to do in the hotel, So if I don't want to be in my room for the whole time I'm  there where else will I be going?.
    I don't think for the seaside resorts it gets any easier from the 4th of July,  in fact in terms of numbers I think there will be more heading to the beaches.
    Hotels, holiday camps opening and due to social distancing there will be f@ck all to do on site.
    To make it easier this summer just close the seaside resort and have them open to locals only, keep the hotels and holiday camps closed and everyone will know where they are.
    I will await someone to tell me, but hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost that shops , hotels and b and bs will close.
    Or are we saying limit the number of visitors to a place , with the police turning back people in their cars when a seaside town has reached its numbers.
    If I decide to go down the coast on the 5th of July how will I know how busy it will be till I get down there?

We have a beautiful country and there are so many lovely places for people to see.  Use those hotels etc. as a base to visit our wonderful country.

• Options
    no doubt, the lockdown has sent thousands of people stir crazy
  • Options
    July 4th ? .. a symbolic date that links up with American Independence .. Boris the yank knows his history ((:>)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    just seen the news, 33 tonnes of rubbish alone left on Bournemouth beach yesterday !!
    The people that continue to go down there today, are the real dregs of society
    The Mayor was interviewed above the beach at 10.15 today and the whole beach was empty.
  • Options
    There are always parts of the beach that are quieter than others and if course it depends on what time of day this was taken - it was still busy at 22:00 last night.

Also, you've not considered access points. Bournemouth beach is backed by cliffs. There are a handful of places where it's possible to access the beach without going down a narrow cliff zig-zag, in many places less than 2m before anyone is even on the path.

Also, I've flipping well seen it with my own eyes! Is everyone sitting less than 2m apart? No they're not but an awful lot are and if a single person managed to access or get off the beach yesterday without literally rubbing shoulders with another person I'd be amazed.

Also, it's not just the beach. It's piss poor, inconsiderate, ignorant behaviour on the trains down here, or in the car parks and roads, or in the gardens, or in the shops. 

There seems to be a weird agenda in some parts to suggest it's not as bad as it is. Maybe when the pubs are open and this behaviour is enjoyed by other communities people might get it. 
    I completely understand it was busy. It's hot, and people are not at work, and kids are not at school yet they cannot really travel abroad, but are allowed to go where they want, when they want. The point I am making, and it is not a 'weird agenda' is yes perhaps it is not as bad as you think it is. I have been hearing from day one of lockdown through to VE day, to 4 weeks ago when people where going to the beaches about how 'it's just a normal day', no one cares about social distancing and there is going to be a second peak. There are plenty of posts on this forum around this.

Yet, that clearly was not the case, the transmission rate of the virus and amount of positive cases has continued to decline. Perhaps even in busy environments like the beach separate households and groups of friends are maybe actually keeping their distance and not mixing with each other. As I mentioned if you look at photos and video footage which are not from a side on angle people are not actually crammed like sardines in tin cans and in each others pockets. 

If you are worried about people walking past each other and rubbing shoulders (where the chances of catching the virus are very low), then I am surprised you even leave your house as that happens everywhere, whether you are walking down the street, on a countryside walk. down the aisle of a shop or off a beach. If people are getting worried about crowds of people outside now, then I dread to think how they will feel when pubs, restaurants etc reopen.

There is no excuse for piss poor, inconsiderate and ignorant behaviour, which happens in and out of a pandemic, but I imagine the majority of people are actually being sensible. 

OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree about what I've seen for myself on a regular basis. Clearly I'm seeing things that aren't there. 
  • Options
    There are always parts of the beach that are quieter than others and if course it depends on what time of day this was taken - it was still busy at 22:00 last night.

Also, you've not considered access points. Bournemouth beach is backed by cliffs. There are a handful of places where it's possible to access the beach without going down a narrow cliff zig-zag, in many places less than 2m before anyone is even on the path.

Also, I've flipping well seen it with my own eyes! Is everyone sitting less than 2m apart? No they're not but an awful lot are and if a single person managed to access or get off the beach yesterday without literally rubbing shoulders with another person I'd be amazed.

Also, it's not just the beach. It's piss poor, inconsiderate, ignorant behaviour on the trains down here, or in the car parks and roads, or in the gardens, or in the shops. 

There seems to be a weird agenda in some parts to suggest it's not as bad as it is. Maybe when the pubs are open and this behaviour is enjoyed by other communities people might get it. 
    I completely understand it was busy. It's hot, and people are not at work, and kids are not at school yet they cannot really travel abroad, but are allowed to go where they want, when they want. The point I am making, and it is not a 'weird agenda' is yes perhaps it is not as bad as you think it is. I have been hearing from day one of lockdown through to VE day, to 4 weeks ago when people where going to the beaches about how 'it's just a normal day', no one cares about social distancing and there is going to be a second peak. There are plenty of posts on this forum around this.

Yet, that clearly was not the case, the transmission rate of the virus and amount of positive cases has continued to decline. Perhaps even in busy environments like the beach separate households and groups of friends are maybe actually keeping their distance and not mixing with each other. As I mentioned if you look at photos and video footage which are not from a side on angle people are not actually crammed like sardines in tin cans and in each others pockets. 

If you are worried about people walking past each other and rubbing shoulders (where the chances of catching the virus are very low), then I am surprised you even leave your house as that happens everywhere, whether you are walking down the street, on a countryside walk. down the aisle of a shop or off a beach. If people are getting worried about crowds of people outside now, then I dread to think how they will feel when pubs, restaurants etc reopen.

There is no excuse for piss poor, inconsiderate and ignorant behaviour, which happens in and out of a pandemic, but I imagine the majority of people are actually being sensible. 

really?, I'd argue they aren't just by going.
  • Options

really?, I'd argue they aren't just by going.
    Are people not going to be sensible when they go to pubs and restaurants when they reopen?
  • Options
    I doubt it after a couple of pints...
  • Options
    Yet I can absolutely guarantee there will be no , drunks , fights , ignorance of the rules ,swearing or any unruly behaviour at all in my pub , why is that?

The behaviour in the pub is the manager’s responsibility.

The behaviour on the beaches is the responsibility of whoever controls said beach.

Different people will handle it differently but there is always someone that is responsible for any given area whether it be roads , beaches , pubs or shops & whether it’s the council the police , MOD, private operators etc it’s someone’s duty to control.

• Options
    Yet I can absolutely guarantee there will be no , drunks , fights , ignorance of the rules ,swearing or any unruly behaviour at all in my pub , why is that?

The behaviour in the pub is the manager’s responsibility.

The behaviour on the beaches is the responsibility of whoever controls said beach.

Different people will handle it differently but there is always someone that is responsible for any given area whether it be roads , beaches , pubs or shops & whether it’s the council the police , MOD, private operators etc it’s someone’s duty to control.

This is all very easy to say, harder in practice.

Imagine your pub was open but every other pub for miles around was closed. Someone in power tells everyone to go to your pub to enjoy themselves and have a good drink. You're suddenly inundated with drinkers from all over the area, some who've travelled for hours to get there. A lot of them are drunk, abusive, coked up, etc. before they turn up at your place. You can't refuse them entry, you can't close your pub, you've a third of the usual door/bar staff available, you can't throw money at the problem because you don't have any, and anyway you can't build an extension to your pub overnight.

You've got to keep everybody inside your pub safe and apart from each other even if they're being an completely abusive idiot themself and the Old Bill are busy dealing with a murder down the road so are telling you to sort it all out yourself. There's a crowd outside of helpful onlookers telling you how you should be running your pub and asking why you aren't closing (and refusing to believe it when you tell them you can't) and the press are waiting for you to mess up so they can run a story about how rubbish you are.

Is it your responsibility or a set of circumstances that led to a situation beyond your reasonable control? 
  • Options
    I have today heard that the emergency services are preparing for the 4th July to be worse than New Year's Eve and on a par with 31st December 1999.

They think opening up the pubs on a Saturday is madness and should happen on a Monday. Another crazy decision by this Government who obviously don't think through the implications of their decisions.

• Options
    I have today heard that the emergency services are preparing for the 4th July to be worse than New Year's Eve and on a par with 31st December 1999.

They think opening up the pubs on a Saturday is madness and should happen on a Monday. Another crazy decision by this Government who obviously don't think through the implications of their decisions.

I think every pub i know of is doing booking only, so I don’t see how it will be that hectic.