Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    I have today heard that the emergency services are preparing for the 4th July to be worse than New Year's Eve and on a par with 31st December 1999.

They think opening up the pubs on a Saturday is madness and should happen on a Monday. Another crazy decision by this Government who obviously don't think through the implications of their decisions.

I think every pub i know of is doing booking only, so I don’t see how it will be that hectic.
    I expect there’ll be plenty of folk who don’t realise this and turn up anyway 
  • Options
    I have today heard that the emergency services are preparing for the 4th July to be worse than New Year's Eve and on a par with 31st December 1999.

They think opening up the pubs on a Saturday is madness and should happen on a Monday. Another crazy decision by this Government who obviously don't think through the implications of their decisions.

I think every pub i know of is doing booking only, so I don’t see how it will be that hectic.
    Then they’ll get turned away, no different from when most places are ticket only on NYE. I just don’t see where emergency services are getting the idea it’ll be as busy as NYE 1999.
  • Options
    Boris is opening up the pubs on Saturday so that we have the whole weekend to celebrate beating Millwall on Friday evening...
  • Options

you don't think they will get people trying to gatecrash?
  • Options

Then they’ll get turned away, no different from when most places are ticket only on NYE. I just don’t see where emergency services are getting the idea it’ll be as busy as NYE 1999.
    That's what I was told in a work meeting today.

• Options

you don't think they will get people trying to gatecrash?
    I’m sure there will be, but no more than those that don’t have tickets on a normal NYE. I just think it’s all got blown out of proportion. I’m on 3 or 4 WhatsApp groups with over 10 people on and not one mate has managed to get into a pub Saturday and all are not that bothered. Of course, most are sensible and you cannot account for a few idiots, but as busy as NYE 1999, I just don’t see it.
  • Options
    a lot will depend on the weather
  • Options

That's what I was told in a work meeting today.

Will definitely be an increase police presence. For example, in Sussex large number of police will deployed in key areas. Would assume Brighton will have most of the counties resources. 

However, no difference to than on January 31st when they had planned for widespread rioting nationally after we left the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I doubt it after a couple of pints...
    Yet I can absolutely guarantee there will be no , drunks , fights , ignorance of the rules ,swearing or any unruly behaviour at all in my pub , why is that?

The behaviour in the pub is the manager’s responsibility.

The behaviour on the beaches is the responsibility of whoever controls said beach.

Different people will handle it differently but there is always someone that is responsible for any given area whether it be roads , beaches , pubs or shops & whether it’s the council the police , MOD, private operators etc it’s someone’s duty to control.

This is all very easy to say, harder in practice.

Imagine your pub was open but every other pub for miles around was closed. Someone in power tells everyone to go to your pub to enjoy themselves and have a good drink. You're suddenly inundated with drinkers from all over the area, some who've travelled for hours to get there. A lot of them are drunk, abusive, coked up, etc. before they turn up at your place. You can't refuse them entry, you can't close your pub, you've a third of the usual door/bar staff available, you can't throw money at the problem because you don't have any, and anyway you can't build an extension to your pub overnight.

You've got to keep everybody inside your pub safe and apart from each other even if they're being an completely abusive idiot themself and the Old Bill are busy dealing with a murder down the road so are telling you to sort it all out yourself. There's a crowd outside of helpful onlookers telling you how you should be running your pub and asking why you aren't closing (and refusing to believe it when you tell them you can't) and the press are waiting for you to mess up so they can run a story about how rubbish you are.

Is it your responsibility or a set of circumstances that led to a situation beyond your reasonable control? 
    Should every pub around me close and I’m the only one open & the powers that be have publicly told everyone to go to the pub I would have hired security & a car park barrier , one security on door & one on car park , this instantly let’s me control how many people I have on my premises

drunks , coked up punters , abusive customers I can refuse them entry should I wish. If it’s an outside public area the a ban on outside drinking can be enforced. Buckingham town centre , river walks & parks have an alcohol exclusion zone.

Ive a third of staff available, no problem ,I ring one off the massive list I’ve had inquires from over the past couple of weeks & if they are no good I’d book them through an agency like I have a chef for the opening week , they informed me they have an abundance of people sign up over the last 3 months especially for unqualified work.

i keep everyone inside nice & safe & if there is a completely abusive idiot I remove him , I don’t bother the old bill ,in my view they are not there for private businesses to use as security when they have let people get too pissed but for emergencies,it comes with the territory , I have an SIA license as does mrs spitfire ,our live in chef & assistant manager , we deal with public that can be unpredictable so it makes sense to protect yourself , we can all effectively be doorman.

Crowds in the street outside , out of my control once off my premises, so in this instance if they were a genuine concern I’d call the police ,but if all is properly managed there should be no angry crowd just happy people getting what they came for 

the press will be waiting for the pubs to mess up & will get their photo shoot 

Is it my responsibility for a set of circumstances that led to a situation beyond my reasonable control? 
    Absolutely, if it’s on my premises it’s my responsibility regardless of the cause of the problem , I can’t  pass the buck , I can’t shrug my shoulders and say “what was I supposed to do” , it’s all my responsibility and only my responsibility to look after my own premises and if anything happens on my premises I take fully 100% the blame, my risk assessment is extensive with all areas covered and a solution for each problem should they arise if this is not good enough to deal with the problem then I have failed nobody else.

one thing I can assure you is that if I did not maintain order on my premises, if my premises was full of drunks , if people were not distancing properly the council would be the first to take my license away and close me down as they should  , they can tell me how many people I can have in , they can insist I have security, they can limit my opening hours , they can tell me how loud & how long I have music on , they can shut me if too many of my customers are parking on a public road , when you look at the restrictions they can put on places it would seem they know all the pitfalls & problems & indeed the solutions but just seem happy to enforce it on private business not their own patch.
    Yeah, I think you've wilfully missed my point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only people to blame are the great British public, It is obvious that the public in general will only do the wright thing if forced to by the state through the means of the law and the police. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Yet I can absolutely guarantee there will be no , drunks , fights , ignorance of the rules ,swearing or any unruly behaviour at all in my pub , why is that?

The behaviour on the beaches is the responsibility of whoever controls said beach.

Different people will handle it differently but there is always someone that is responsible for any given area whether it be roads , beaches , pubs or shops & whether it’s the council the police , MOD, private operators etc it’s someone’s duty to control.

How on earth can you say the behaviour of thousands of people on a beach is the responsibility of who controls the beach.  
    The people responsible for the behaviour of the people on the beach are the people themselves.   Running a pub to running a beach is a completely different thing.   You are going on a bit.  

Good luck Bournemouth, sounds a bit of a nightmare. 

It's been horrible here for weeks. Pretty much since the government said go where you like for exercise, people have been taking the pee and abusing the town and the people that live here. We've gone from being really fortunate in these strange circumstances to have this lovely environment on our doorstep to watching it get trashed (most days) in just a few weeks.

All of us that live here are used to the summer invasion but we are seeing it much earlier, with more people and with a different demographic. A lot of those getting wasted, littering and picking fights on the beach here now would normally be doing it in Malia or on the Costas. I've every sympathy for them. 

As you say, it's the responsibility of everyone to behave like a grown up. All the authorities are stretched beyond belief and their staff are exhausted, I know I am, yet are still doing their very best to make the place as safe and pleasant to visit as they can for everybody's sake. There are, for example 650 council staff here redeployed into other front line roles at the moment to try to fill the gaps. They're all doing their best to support the most vulnerable in our community as well as slowly moving back into their substantive posts. Yet there's an odd expectation everything's gone back to normal. 

No one working for a council expects much in the way of appreciation tbh but it's been disappointing to see so much ignorance about the efforts that all local authorities have put in on here recently, and the challenges that they've faced. In football terms they've put a massive shift in! 
  • Options
    The Welsh & Scottish Governments knew what they were doing when they restricted the distance that people could travel.
  • Options
    The Welsh & Scottish Governments knew what they were doing when they restricted the distance that people could travel.

...after the Scottish CMO got caught driving to her second home a few times.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

How on earth can you say the behaviour of thousands of people on a beach is the responsibility of who controls the beach.  
    The people responsible for the behaviour of the people on the beach are the people themselves.   Running a pub to running a beach is a completely different thing.   You are going on a bit.  

Whatever dude , it’s typical of the blame culture we live in , “not my problem what could I do” 
    you look at a can do council like Brighton , you remember the Fatboy slim concerts on the beach that had 100k plus turn up ? It was an issue & they sorted it , where there’s a will there’s a way , if the responsibility isn’t of the people that control the beach who’s responsible then who ? The public ? Ok then have it your way , it’s not the police’s job to maintain order on the public roads or cars without tax etc it’s the public ? It’s not the landlords responsibility to make sure there’s no drunks in his pub it’s the public’s ? 

Yes the public should be responsible for themselves but many lifetimes of experience tells us this is not the case , he who controls the land is responsible for it & if you allow people onto it you are responsible for their safety & well being
  • Options
    Councillor Carmen Appich chair of tourism, Brighton and Hove council has just been asked directly by Kirsty Wark on Newsnight if they could cope with an influx like the one at Bournemouth - she said no.

Also went on to say there had been some nasty incidents there that had left residents frightened.  Whilst they welcome decent families to the area there is no accounting for the indecent ones and it makes it very difficult to cope.
  • Options
    Councillor Carmen Appich chair of tourism, Brighton and Hove council has just been asked directly by Kirsty Wark on Newsnight if they could cope with an influx like the one at Bournemouth - she said no.

Also went on to say there had been some nasty incidents there that had left residents frightened.  Whilst they welcome decent families to the area there is no accounting for the indecent ones and it makes it very difficult to cope.
    I’ve found Brighton council one of the best to work with alongside Milton Keynes , both very pro active & engaging. 
  • Options

• Options

More government madness. How did Boris allow this? Obviously you can understand the fans ignoring Klopp, various Liverpool legends and the Mayor of Liverpool, but why oh why didn't the government stop it?
    Back to lockdown for everyone. 
    Said no one. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve got a slightly different opinion (would be boring if all the same) but genuinely sorry you, your colleagues and residents are having such a shit time of it @Bournemouth Addick

Hopefully yesterday will prove to be the worst of it for you 
  • Options
    I shouldnt think having 10 million+ on the dole at the moment helps
  • Options
    Singapore has got the right idea 
    ,https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188941
  • Options
    Theres problems all over the country.
    I didnt know till today one of the parks in shortlands hàs been getting up to 200 people in the park till early hours of the morning
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Curb_It said:

Whatever dude , it’s typical of the blame culture we live in , “not my problem what could I do” 
    you look at a can do council like Brighton , you remember the Fatboy slim concerts on the beach that had 100k plus turn up ? It was an issue & they sorted it , where there’s a will there’s a way , if the responsibility isn’t of the people that control the beach who’s responsible then who ? The public ? Ok then have it your way , it’s not the police’s job to maintain order on the public roads or cars without tax etc it’s the public ? It’s not the landlords responsibility to make sure there’s no drunks in his pub it’s the public’s ? 

Yes the public should be responsible for themselves but many lifetimes of experience tells us this is not the case , he who controls the land is responsible for it & if you allow people onto it you are responsible for their safety & well being
    Okay Dude ... back at you... This is  a completely Different thing to a concert in normal times. No pubs or restaurants with loos where a lot of people spent drinking before going in. Why are you going on about blame culture when the council have quite clearly been overwhelmed. Yes I’m sure they will sit down afterwards and discuss how they could have done it better. But these are not normal times. 

Obviously from your comments about yourself you are a great landlord but you really are very unsympathetic to the logistics to what is happening.

I’m out. 
    Ok m8 no worries, a good lengthy inquiry after the event will sort it , job done ,pat on the back all round . Peace . 
  • Options

I’ve found Brighton council one of the best to work with alongside Milton Keynes , both very pro active & engaging. 
    Just as I read your post the lady from Brighton appeared on TV and said the exact opposite.  Just one of those moments of glorious timing. 

Anyway good luck with your pub on the reopening, sounds like you've got it sorted. 
  • Options
    have followed the rules since lockdown began and worked throughout having no time off, trains are now starting to fill back up with plebs who have got the hump about going back to work and for some reason think face masks do not apply to them, feels like we are doing everything too late, was meant to go ireland next weekend for 8 days to see the mrs who i havent seen since march 14th and that now looks in jeopardy as there prime minister wants people to not be allowed in without a 14 day qaurantine period - ridiculous really as more irish live outside of ireland than in it. 

plus i do think it should be a like for like travel rule as the uk are letting people in with no qaurantine. 
  • Options
    have followed the rules since lockdown began and worked throughout having no time off, trains are now starting to fill back up with plebs who have got the hump about going back to work and for some reason think face masks do not apply to them, feels like we are doing everything too late, was meant to go ireland next weekend for 8 days to see the mrs who i havent seen since march 14th and that now looks in jeopardy as there prime minister wants people to not be allowed in without a 14 day qaurantine period - ridiculous really as more irish live outside of ireland than in it. 

plus i do think it should be a like for like travel rule as the uk are letting people in with no qaurantine. 
    What are arising infection numbers/deaths like compared to the UK? If ours are much higher than theirs then I’m not surprised if they don’t want us coming in and re-introducing it. Annoying you can’t get to see your Mrs though (can’t you just swap it round & she can come here instead since she won’t have to quarantine)?