Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I give up. So I can go in but not touch her? Ffs. Yet, and I only jest, if her single dad drops dead in the front room she suddenly becomes a lonely vulnerable person and I can fill my boots? Think I lmight take a hammer with me....
    I think you should crack on mate.

Given the circumstances we'd all do the same.
  • Options
    Lockdown is 'easing' both as a result of people becoming frustrated and bored during lockdown and as the government eases restrictions on movement, trading and distancing.
    Germany has experienced localised outbreaks as the country has liberalised lockdown and the USA, a country where scant regard seems to have been paid to the virus except in some large cities,  Covid 19 is rife and the death toll is rising.
    The problem seems to be that the persistent presence and virulence of the virus will not truly be known until lockdown and restrictions on movement are drastically eased.  It will essentially become a gamble on the balance between potential economic disaster and human life. 
    President Trump for example, has put the US economy first and has taken a gungho, 'D Day' approach to the virus, accepting that there will be 'heavy losses' as the price for an as small as possible economic collapse. The UK must not and seemingly is not taking that approach.
    No-one can know the outcome until lockdown is eased and the implications in infections and deaths are known. Many 'experts' are predicting a big rise in infections, BUT we can't all stay locked away for ever. Perhaps a 'regional' easing is called for, less restrictions in the less 'infected' parts of the country, less easing in the more vulnerable areas. As ever, we will see 
  • Options
    Lockdown is 'easing' both as a result of people becoming frustrated and bored during lockdown and as the government eases restrictions on movement, trading and distancing.
    Germany has experienced localised outbreaks as the country has liberalised lockdown and the USA, a country where scant regard seems to have been paid to the virus except in some large cities,  Covid 19 is rife and the death toll is rising.
    The problem seems to be that the persistent presence and virulence of the virus will not truly be known until lockdown and restrictions on movement are drastically eased.  It will essentially become a gamble on the balance between potential economic disaster and human life. 
    President Trump for example, has put the US economy first and has taken a gungho, 'D Day' approach to the virus, accepting that there will be 'heavy losses' as the price for an as small as possible economic collapse. The UK must not and seemingly is not taking that approach.
    No-one can know the outcome until lockdown is eased and the implications in infections and deaths are known. Many 'experts' are predicting a big rise in infections, BUT we can't all stay locked away for ever. Perhaps a 'regional' easing is called for, less restrictions in the less 'infected' parts of the country, less easing in the more vulnerable areas. As ever, we will see 
    I don't think this is entirely about economics versus life.

There is a view that the longer young fit people are shielded from the virus, the longer it will go on and eventually more vulnerable people will die overall. 

This assumes no effective vaccine will be found and achieving the famous "herd immunity" is the best way to minimise the number of premature deaths.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I had the misfortune of having to go into town today. The zombie hoards have been building back up for a week or two but today could easily have passed for a particularly busy August Bank Hols not a Wednesday on a school day. Social distancing down to about 30cms. Very disconcerting to have to be amongst it tbh. Won't be going back just yet even if my employer requests it. 

• Options
    Unbelievable Jeff. 
  • Options
    Is Sophie also saying please go home to her sister? Or does her sister have more right to be there than anyone else?
  • Options
    TBH I would only go to Bourmeouth if we were playing them. 
  • Options
    I think people just need to get used to the changes but we are in no way shape or form locked down , maybe someone forgot to tell her
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Is Sophie also saying please go home to her sister? Or does her sister have more right to be there than anyone else?
    Sophie appears to be a locally based wheelchair user who has been shielding until now. I'm fit and healthy yet still felt very, very uncomfortable in the town today so heaven knows what someone in that position must feel. I also don't think she's saying people don't have a "right" to be there, just that it's not a good idea. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The Leader of the local council seems to agree it's not a great idea to visit Bournemouth just yet too.

How many people wearing a mask in that video btw? 
  • Options
    Sophie appears to be a locally based wheelchair user who has been shielding until now. I'm fit and healthy yet still felt very, very uncomfortable in the town today so heaven knows what someone in that position must feel. I also don't think she's saying people don't have a "right" to be there, just that it's not a good idea. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The Leader of the local council seems to agree it's not a great idea to visit Bournemouth just yet too.

How many people wearing a mask in that video btw? 
    Covid what??? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Though cynically what that means is

"Please come back in a couple of weeks when we'll able to make some money from you"
  • Options
    Today was a bit of an education for me.

We drove down from Hertfordshire to meet one of my sons and his family (all three of them) in Beckenham Place Park.  And yes … we stayed 2+ metres apart at all times.

The park itself was OK, although there were a few groups (maybe 10+ individuals) who were clearly ignoring rules.  But driving across Blackheath was shocking.

Huge numbers of quite large groups behaving as if times were effectively normally.  And face masks on public transport?  It seems that most passengers don't think that this applies until you get on the bus, so blatant disregard at the bus stop even though there were many people waiting together.

I dread to think what Party Day will be like on 4th July.
  • Options

"Please come back in a couple of weeks when we'll able to make some money from you"
    No, it means what it says. The car parks were beyond full from early today and cars were parking up all over the shop, including on the pavements and verges forcing people into the road and or pinch points to pass. A lot of visitors are behaving like total dicks at the moment. They were out giving out tickets all day long so the council will have made more money today than in a couple of weeks when visitors are parking in their hotel car park, eating in restaurants, etc.

She's consistently said that the town is struggling with visitors due to sheer numbers for this time of year, lack of businesses to service them, staff being redeployed to other functions, staff shielding, staff sickness, putting in place social distancing measures in public toilets, etc. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

We drove down from Hertfordshire to meet one of my sons and his family (all three of them) in Beckenham Place Park.  And yes … we stayed 2+ metres apart at all times.

The park itself was OK, although there were a few groups (maybe 10+ individuals) who were clearly ignoring rules.  But driving across Blackheath was shocking.

Huge numbers of quite large groups behaving as if times were effectively normally.  And face masks on public transport?  It seems that most passengers don't think that this applies until you get on the bus, so blatant disregard at the bus stop even though there were many people waiting together.

Let me preempt and say that there will be lots of pictures of lots of people down pubs, and lots of people moaning about lots of people being down pubs and not socially distancing, and predicting a second peak (for the 5th time).
    Probably right … on all counts.  

Did you also want to predict the date of the second peak?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Let me preempt and say that there will be lots of pictures of lots of people down pubs, and lots of people moaning about lots of people being down pubs and not socially distancing, and predicting a second peak (for the 5th time).
    Probably right … on all counts.  

Did you also want to predict the date of the second peak?
    I'd hope the government would have sense to lockdown early enough, if needed, this time so it never happens.

But that didn't work out too well in March. 
  • Options

No, it means what it says. The car parks were beyond full from early today and cars were parking up all over the shop, including on the pavements and verges forcing people into the road and or pinch points to pass. A lot of visitors are behaving like total dicks at the moment. They were out giving out tickets all day long so the council will have made more money today than in a couple of weeks when visitors are parking in their hotel car park, eating in restaurants, etc.

She's consistently said that the town is struggling with visitors due to sheer numbers for this time of year, lack of businesses to service them, staff being redeployed to other functions, staff shielding, staff sickness, putting in place social distancing measures in public toilets, etc. 
    But she said please come back after the 4th July. How much of the overcrowding problem won't still be around then? It's not as if the museums and restaurants will be back to normal then.
  • Options

But she said please come back after the 4th July. How much of the overcrowding problem won't still be around then? It's not as if the museums and restaurants will be back to normal then.
    I'm not getting your point? If the hotels, pubs, etc. are open then there's less need to use council car parks, less revenue from fines, less revenue from beach kiosks. I promise you this is not about maximising profit for the council and only about opening up the area for tourism safely. 
  • Options

If the parking is the main problem can they not ask the closed hotels etc open their car parks? It’s in everyone’s interest to get people into Bournemouth so the businesses that are open can make some money & the hotels will benefit in the long run from repeat trade if people have an enjoyable stay.
    This is coming from the 4th July weather we like it or not and the lockdown has been relaxed over the course of months , I would rather these councils concentrated on making it work & making it safe than discouraging people visiting, it can be done & done safely but it sounds like they are under prepared.
  • Options

There appears to be 2 separate concerns here.

1 Sophie wanting people to go home due to Covid risks in lockdown.

2 The leader of the council wanting people to come back in 10 days time when hotels, attractions, museums and restaurants are open.
    No Covid concerns because it will presumably be spread far more easily in the indoors establishments that she wants the public to spend their money on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I drove through blackheath today and thought it was quiet. The vast majority of people on busses did appear to have masks on. I saw two drivers that didn’t but the most passengers did
  • Options

2 The leader of the council wanting people to come back in 10 days time when hotels, attractions, museums and restaurants are open.
    No Covid concerns because it will presumably be spread far more easily in the indoors establishments that she wants the public to spend their money on.
    With regard to point 2. could it not just be that she's not naive enough to believe that tourists can be prevented from coming forever and coming back in a couple of weeks time when there's a lot more facilities for them is a pragmatic response to them turning up? Just for example, there's limited places they can get rid of the ridiculous amounts of alcohol visitors are downing in our open spaces.
  • Options

With regard to point 2. could it not just be that she's not naive enough to believe that tourists can be prevented from coming forever and coming back in a couple of weeks time when there's a lot more facilities for them is a pragmatic response to them turning up? Just for example, there's limited places they can get rid of the ridiculous amounts of alcohol visitors are downing in our open spaces.
    It would have been Glastonbury this weekend imagine all the extra space saved recycling that lot.
    If it was organised properly you wouldn’t have the problems 
  • Options
    edited June 2020

If the parking is the main problem can they not ask the closed hotels etc open their car parks? It’s in everyone’s interest to get people into Bournemouth so the businesses that are open can make some money & the hotels will benefit in the long run from repeat trade if people have an enjoyable stay.
    This is coming from the 4th July weather we like it or not and the lockdown has been relaxed over the course of months , I would rather these councils concentrated on making it work & making it safe than discouraging people visiting, it can be done & done safely but it sounds like they are under prepared.
    This is really unfair. The council here has done a huge amount in a very short space of time to make sure the resort is as ready as it can be to welcome tourism back on a large scale. Hence the request that people come after 4th July, not now when this work is still going on.

From simple things like investing in a lot of additional signage (which then has to be changed to 1m of course) or buying in barriers to socially distance queues through to taking on extra security staff to support those working on the beaches trying to remind people re:distancing, group sizes.

The truth is that not everything is going to be ready and open, because it can't. You cannot build a socially distant toilet block in a matter of a few weeks to replace one that was built in the 1970's. Nor can you go out and recruit and train 100's of temporary staff overnight. 

The council has been working very, very closely with the local tourism industry but just like you and your pub, just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I drove through blackheath today and thought it was quiet. The vast majority of people on busses did appear to have masks on. I saw two drivers that didn’t but the most passengers did
    If that was quiet, then I am even more concerned.

Point of detail:  my comment was not about people on buses … it was the fact that people waiting at the bus stop, and in very close proximity to each other, didn't see fit to wear a mask at that point … presumably because they think they don't have to wear a mask until they get on the bus (and hence missing the point slightly).

Of course, I could have imagined the whole thing … as did my wife.

I'm reassured to know that everything's fine after all.

• Options
    I believe the rule is, that you only need to cover up, once on the bus/train/tube/DLR, but can be uncovered at a waiting point 
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It could be, although if the issue is a lack of open toilets then I think she should say that is the issue and do something about it like getting porta loos, rather than say come back when hotels, attractions, museums and restaurants are open.

If the leader of the council is misleading the public then that will certainly not help.

Plus I'm not sure how the public are meant to know without contacting a council which is a bit unrealistic.
    You have some resorts begging the public to come and others begging them not to come.

There was a hotel owner in Sherborne on the TV this morning, begging people to come to Sherborne, which I would have assumed would be the same everywhere. (not that a packed beach has any attraction for me).
    I just looked it up & it says 32 miles from Bournemouth.
  • Options

This is really unfair. The council here has done a huge amount in a very short space of time to make sure the resort is as ready as it can be to welcome tourism back on a large scale. Hence the request that people come after 4th July, not now when this work is still going on.

From simple things like investing in a lot of additional signage (which then has to be changed to 1m of course) or buying in barriers to socially distance queues through to taking on extra security staff to support those working on the beaches trying to remind people re:distancing, group sizes.

The truth is that not everything is going to be ready and open, because it can't. You cannot build a socially distant toilet block in a matter of a few weeks to replace one that was built in the 1970's. Nor can you go out and recruit and train 100's of temporary staff overnight. 

The council has been working very, very closely with the local tourism industry but just like you and your pub, just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. 
    But they have had a few months not a few weeks , portable cabin loos that are not as bog standard (no pun intended) as people think are readily available at most times of years & are in abundance at the moment with the cancellation of most out door events.
    Bournemouth has always had loads of visitors on days like this & so it should it’s a lovely place , knowing a lot of people are furloughed & lockdown was being eased by the week I would have thought they would have been expecting it , I was & ive no doubt you were , it was ages ago photos were put up of the beaches packed , did they think it would get less busy as lockdown eased & we got further into summer?
    All my signage was done along time ago & we had an active discussion on exactly what it should say & knowing there was every chance the distance would be relaxed we stayed clear of anything that said two meters on it & the distancing message is still perfectly clear , it just took a bit of thought & planning.
    They cannot use portaloos. They considered this some time ago. The amount of cleaning and emptying required to cope with miles of beaches prohibited this. They wouldn't last 15 mins before becoming worse than useless. Most of the toilet blocks are in fact open.

This...

...is not normal for a Wednesday when the kids are supposed to be at school. Last week, the beaches were empty at times. It's entirely different to planning for a normal summer.

The council find out about these things at the same time everyone else does, they're not privvy to any warning yet are supposed to push the government line i.e keep two metres apart for example.

As I said you've no idea what work is being done and what problems all local authorities are facing whilst also coping with the same situation as other businesses like staffing levels well below normal.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I believe the rule is, that you only need to cover up, once on the bus/train/tube/DLR, but can be uncovered at a waiting point 
    That may or may not be the rule but, as I said, it's kind of missing the point, isn't it?

If I have to spell it out … the face mask is for protection, especially when the 2m separation distance is difficult or impossible to adhere to … such as might be the case at a crowded bus stop, for example.

But hey … who cares about that.  The rule says I don't have to bother until I get on the bus.

Sometimes I truly despair.