Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Debut album, first tracks. What are your favourites ?

Comments

• Options
    In my view back in the day bands emerged with singles, that had an 'a' side and a 'b' side.

Singles cost 6d.8p (six shillings and eight pence) about 33p in todays money. LP's (long players) cost £1.13d 6p (one pound, 13 shillings and sixpence) about £1.70ish in todays money, and would have about ten tracks.

Bands and artists usually emerged with a hit single, maybe two sometimes with a strong 'b' side. If they were successful it would only be then that they would make an LP which would have their initial single 'hits' and other material.

Punters tended not to go for the LP unless it contained their hit singles on it, mainly due to cost. You would hope the 'unheard/unknown' tracks would be good and not fillers or padding.

So first tracks on first albums for bands such as the Beatles, the Stones, the Who and others served a different function from first tracks on Album-based bands like King Crimson or Led Zeppelin. For some the album would come first and a track would be chosen to put out as a single.

Therefore the David Bowie introduction to the world was really 'The Laughing Gnome' single, or 'Space Oddity' (superb bit of work btw), or the Stones would have been the Buddy Holly cover 'Not Fade Away'.

I conclude from the above ramble that this thread should really not include artists who emerged via single tracks first, but artists who started with a Long Playing Record.

P.S. EP's were an addition to the music culture of the time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In my view back in the day bands emerged with singles, that had an 'a' side and a 'b' side.

Singles cost 6d.8p (six shillings and eight pence) about 33p in todays money. LP's (long players) cost £1.13d 6p (one pound, 13 shillings and sixpence) about £1.70ish in todays money, and would have about ten tracks.

Bands and artists usually emerged with a hit single, maybe two sometimes with a strong 'b' side. If they were successful it would only be then that they would make an LP which would have their initial single 'hits' and other material.

Punters tended not to go for the LP unless it contained their hit singles on it, mainly due to cost. You would hope the 'unheard/unknown' tracks would be good and not fillers or padding.

So first tracks on first albums for bands such as the Beatles, the Stones, the Who and others served a different function from first tracks on Album-based bands like King Crimson or Led Zeppelin. For some the album would come first and a track would be chosen to put out as a single.

Therefore the David Bowie introduction to the world was really 'The Laughing Gnome' single, or 'Space Oddity' (superb bit of work btw), or the Stones would have been the Buddy Holly cover 'Not Fade Away'.

I conclude from the above ramble that this thread should really not include artists who emerged via single tracks first, but artists who started with a Long Playing Record.

P.S. EP's were an addition to the music culture of the time.
    Tbh, singles hadn't really crossed my mind as they were generally more poppy and put out for airplay by labels rather then creative works by the bands. What Ive found quite incredible really, is the power , distinctive sounds and essence of some brilliant bands and solo artists being there from the very start. I think this category does lend itself more to bands with a bit of an edge .
  • Options
    As I said, this category lends itself more to bands from the 1990s due to the way the music industry had become then - there was more of a way in than ever, but you had to come out of the gate swinging
  • Options
    Blackberry Smoke .. 'Bad Luck aint no Crime'
  • Options
    For a Moment We're Strangers - The Church
    Red Pony - Triffids
    Falling and Laughing -Orange Juice
    Forget the Swan -  Dinosaur Jr
    I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses
    Me - The Wolfhounds (though this was always better live, don't think they ever got it as good recorded)

tricky - lots of my favourite artists start their debut with what amounts to an intro track before they get properly started. 
  • Options
    The Clean - Draw(in)g To A (W)hole
  • Options
    Oasis - Supersonic
    That's not the first track
  • Options
    I Will Follow

&

This is Radio Etienne
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    As I said, this category lends itself more to bands from the 1990s due to the way the music industry had become then - there was more of a way in than ever, but you had to come out of the gate swinging
    And yet, no love for my Kula Shaker nomination. Maybe I'll double down with Alright by Cast
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Leuth said:
    And yet, no love for my Kula Shaker nomination. Maybe I'll double down with Alright by Cast
    Kulashaker and Cast. 

OMG. What kind of weird drugs were you on? ,😄
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Leuth said:
    Kulashaker and Cast. 

OMG. What kind of weird drugs were you on? ,😄
    Ha! Probably more a time and a place thing. 
  • Options
    I have more time for K than I really should, but I can't take Hey Dude seriously on this thread :smiley:

Seeing as this is even more Britpoppy than usual (which is saying something), I'm trying out I'd Like To Know to see if Supergrass do. My feeling is: no, not quite, BUT if In It For The Money had kicked things off, it'd be a very different story

• Options
    The Bats - Treason
  • Options
    Peter Hammill - Imperial Zeppelin
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Smells Like Teen Spirit is a pretty killer opening to Nevermind. Sets the tone, draws you in, and still sounds incredibly unique 20+ years and 1,000,000+ imitators later.
  • Options
    Dire Straits - Down To The Waterline
  • Options
    Linkin Park - papercut
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Killswitch Engage - Numbered Days

Edit - Wasn't their first album... Doh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone Temple Pilots - Dead and Bloated
  • Options
    cowolter said:
    Smells Like Teen Spirit is a pretty killer opening to Nevermind. Sets the tone, draws you in, and still sounds incredibly unique 20+ years and 1,000,000+ imitators later.
    Nirvana's debut album was `Bleach', not `Nevermind'.
  • Options
    Hit The Lights, the opener on Metallica’s Kill Em All.
  • Options
    Ash - Lose control on 1977. Even starts with TIE Fighters. That's if we are talking debut albums, they had an EP before that called Trailer
  • Options
    Beautiful Head - The National
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    For a Moment We're Strangers - The Church
    Red Pony - Triffids
    Falling and Laughing -Orange Juice
    Forget the Swan -  Dinosaur Jr
    I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses
    Me - The Wolfhounds (though this was always better live, don't think they ever got it as good recorded)

tricky - lots of my favourite artists start their debut with what amounts to an intro track before they get properly started. 
    Good call for Dinosaur Jr, though they were still known as Dinosaur when this LP came out.
  • Options
    This morning's random playlist prompted another couple
    Christine - House of Love
    Black Dog Following Me - Magic City Trio

• Options
    Steely Dan .. Do It Again (Can't Buy a Thrill)
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt - Jake Bugg
    Delicate - Damien Rice
    Old Pine - Ben Howard
    This is a Call - Foo Fighters 
  • Options
    Black Spiders debut 'Sons Of The North' track 1 Stay Down
    Oasis: Definitely Maybe, Rock'n'Roll Star
    Candyheadz: Go Forth & Multiply, Higher Ground
    Howling Willie: World Of Filth, 5000000 ways to kill your baby
    Gomez: Bring It On, Get Miles
    Dr Feelgood: Down By The Jetty, She Does It Right
    Heaven17: Penthouse & Pavement, (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing
    Velvet Revolver: Contraband, Sucker Train Blues
    Voice Of The Beehive; Honey Lingers, Monsters and Angels
    Stereophonics: Performance and Cocktails, Roll Up And Shine
    Madness: One Step Beyond, One Step Beyond
    KT Tunstall: Eye To The Telescope, Other Side Of The World
    Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Hit The Lights

There's an hour of your life forever enriched.  You're welcome.