Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prem game Updates (post lockdown)

Comments

• There’s only been 2 games. It’ll pick up. The Bundesliga games have been mostly great to watch.
  • Is there any need for the tanoy announcements for the subs.

With 9 subs on the bench, it's so the manager can remember which of his players are actually on the pitch.

• Much prefer watching it with the fan noise on. Watching it otherwise was excruciating. Dont know why they had to announce how much injury time there was. 
  • Much prefer watching it with the fan noise on. Watching it otherwise was excruciating.

Dont know why they had to announce how much injury time there was. 
    In case the ref's watch had stopped?

• So they can 'Take the knee' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, wear a racist slogan, have phony crowd noise but are not able to award a bona fide goal.

Pretty well sums it up for me. What rubbish it has all become.
  • edited June 2020
    Arsenal are a bit of a mess though (obviously not a Charlton proportion mess but even so).

70m signing Pepe left on the bench and 350k a week Ozil not even in the squad for 'tactical reasons' said Arteta. If you're paying a guy 350k a week, he should be crucial to your team.

Add to that, Aubameyang only has a year left on his deal and surely he's not going to renew for a club who might struggle to even get into Europe.
  • Ozil can't do it on a rainy Wednesday night in Manchester, mind you he doesn't do it at many places.  
  • Major said:
    So they can 'Take the knee' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, wear a racist slogan, have phony crowd noise but are not able to award a bona fide goal.

Zzzz
  • Nicholas said:
    Just shows you how shit football is without a crowd. Ok it was first games back but they were like training matches. Think some of these piss taking clubs who don’t give a shit about fans and take the piss with their ticket prices should take a second a look at what we bring to the game. People will get bored quickly watching it like that and will soon be turning it off. 
    Not sure I agree, a crowd wouldn’t stop David Luiz being utter pony - it hasn’t before.

Last nights Premier League matches weren’t great, but neither were the first Bundesliga matches after the break either - that’s now back at a really good standard a few weeks in. It also helps that in Germany they’ve learned to change the camera angles so you see much less of the empty stands. 

I’d prefer there to be a proper crowd, but given that the world is literally in the grip of a global pandemic I recognise that some things will need to change and football without supporters in the stadium is better than nothing.
  • edited June 2020
    Lost interest in it pretty quickly and fell asleep. Then again, I was “very tired”..
  • Sponsored links:

• Major said:
    So they can 'Take the knee' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, wear a racist slogan, have phony crowd noise but are not able to award a bona fide goal.

So, at the risk of derailing a thread about football, which of the players was wearing a racist slogan? 
  • Please don’t ruin a decent football related thread.
  • Had the sound on for about 30 seconds and thought, nah. 

As for the games, they looked like I thought they would, first games after 3 months off and about 10 days of actual football training. Going to be a case of which teams start hot, and get the points in the bag, especially at the bottom, before everyone gets to speed. 
  • I actually thought the sound aspect was good and made it fell less like a behind closed doors friendly

I agree - made it feel more like a normal game rather than watching a training game.
  • The thing that annoyed me about the sound was it was like the direct opposite of the problem I have with Sky Sports sometimes, where the commentary runs slightly ahead of the pictures. In this case it seemed like there was some kind of attempt to make the noises tally with what was going on on the pitch, but obviously with some kind of delay, so by the time the crowd noise reflected that something interesting was happening, it had already happened. This isn't going to be a problem for our matches, but it's a bit of a pain for the ones that you're only half watching cos you're trying to do something else at the same time.
  • Tried watching it without crowd noise, blooming awful.
    By the end of the second game the crowd noise actually made it feel more of a normal fixture. So it’s a yes from me.

But oh dear god that monumental cock up with the goal 😳
    What is the actual point of having all this technology if a human can’t just go, ‘no, sorry it’s a goal’ & just give it?
    And if Villa stay up by a point over another team now? 
    Can of worms.
  • Clubs know the tech isn’t 100%, and accept its 99.9999% accurate, just a freak and I suspect Hawkeye will go to a 10 camera solution come next year.

• Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Clubs know the tech isn’t 100%, and accept its 99.9999% accurate, just a freak and I suspect Hawkeye will go to a 10 camera solution come next year.

I get that.
    Still doesn’t answer why someone in the VAR tent couldn’t say, ‘it’s 100% a goal, the tech has failed.’
    Especially as it was a ‘freak’ incident.
    No one would have felt hard done by then, as opposed to now.
  • Dunno, Premier League have constrained VAR and not allowed them the same power as they have in Germany. I think MLS uses VAR for its Goal line decision making
  • sound off, sound on, it was I m o a horrible spectacle .. but at least this benighted season will be concluded and the whole show can restart when it's OK to do so and let's hope it's soon
  • Even aside from the goal line technology not working issue, surely the ref and/or the linesman have eyes and could see the keeper standing almost in the back of the net with the ball well inside the post.

Middle of the goal you could let them off, but he was next to (and inside) the post.
  • I don't think refs look any more for goal line stuff, they expect GDS to do that job for them, and they are looking at other stuff
  • Did it not happen just before half-time?

Couldn't VAR have reviewed at half-time and given the goal?

That would set a pretty huge precedent

That would set a pretty huge precedent
    Surely in the interest of fairness, it would be appropriate to do that though?

• I can completely see where you are coming from but imagine going in at 0-0 and then you're told they've awarded the goal just before the second half kicks off.

It was 100% a goal but I don't think they can retrospectively grant it

Didn't even need to wait until half time, surely could've seen immediately that it was in and let the ref know he should review it.

If a game can be stopped for 5 minutes whilst VAR watches 16 replays to check if someone's ear lobe is offside, then surely we can stop the game to review a pretty major error such as this.