Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prem game Updates (post lockdown)

Comments

• Options
    I understand that there was a "unique" problem with technology. 

But what would have happened if was even more obviously a goal but the system had gone down for a few seconds for some reason. Are referees obliged to obey the computer? How obvious would a goal have to be before a referee could override the system?

"Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. 
  • Options

Did it not happen just before half-time?

Couldn't VAR have reviewed at half-time and given the goal?

That would set a pretty huge precedent
    Surely in the interest of fairness, it would be appropriate to do that though?

In the interest of fairness Villa should have remembered the stink that they kicked up against Leeds and should have given Sheff Utd a free goal - Especially if its true that both sets of players walked off at HT agreeing it should have been given 
    That is very true mate, didn't think of that.
  • Options

Didn't even need to wait until half time, surely could've seen immediately that it was in and let the ref know he should review it.

If a game can be stopped for 5 minutes whilst VAR watches 16 replays to check if someone's ear lobe is offside, then surely we can stop the game to review a pretty major error such as this. 
    Agreed. Someone (the VAR officials or the 4th official) should have told the referee to stop play while they checked it. You do wonder how attentive the VAR officials were to not even question whether Hawkeye had got it wrong, I guess they assumed that it was always 100% accurate, a mistake they won't make again! A shame the first Hawkeye error wasn't an unimportant goal.
  • Options
    That's why I'd rather you had a certain number of challenges like they have in tennis, rather than stuff going to VAR automatically. That way if Sheff Utd were convinced it was a goal in spite of everything then they could have challenged it, rather than waiting for a VAR review that never materialised.
  • Options
    Major said:
    So they can 'Take the knee' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, wear a racist slogan, have phony crowd noise but are not able to award a bona fide goal.

Pretty well sums it up for me. What rubbish it has all become.
    What's racist about the slogan?
  • Options

Oh the irony!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    rananegra said:
    Major said:
    So they can 'Take the knee' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, wear a racist slogan, have phony crowd noise but are not able to award a bona fide goal.

So, at the risk of derailing a thread about football, which of the players was wearing a racist slogan? 

I wouldn't worry too much about his opinion.
    He seems to be one of those people who see the hidden word 'Only' in front of 'Black Lives Matter' whereas most sensible, fair-minded people see the word 'Too' at the end.

I prefer 'All Lives Matter'
    It’s not all lives that are in jeopardy at the moment though.
  • Options
    What ‘if’, some eejit during lockdown has devised a way to jam the signal between the technology behind the goal & the refs watch?

It worked.

It may happen again.

They need to still look at the line, it’s their fecking job 🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No. Because play had continued for a further 3 minutes plus stoppage time.

At the time of the incident, the ref could have stopped play and awarded the goal.
    But you can't retrospectively adjust the score.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

So, at the risk of derailing a thread about football, which of the players was wearing a racist slogan? 

He seems to be one of those people who see the hidden word 'Only' in front of 'Black Lives Matter' whereas most sensible, fair-minded people see the word 'Too' at the end.

Thing is nobody is saying all lives don't matter, do you go into a cancer research charity shop and say you'd prefer research into all diseases ? 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    1StevieG said:
    bobmunro said:
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

Well they are in this country, but through Coronavirus rather than the actions of the police
  • Options
    I see one of Hawk-Eye's excuses is that the goalpost was in the way.

Who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    bobmunro said:
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

Well they are in this country, but through Coronavirus rather than the actions of the police
    I don’t want to derail this thread so I will post this and leave it at that

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/coronavirusrelateddeathsbyethnicgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to10april2020
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Major said:

Zzzz

Yep. And that's the problem.
  • Options
    Major said:

I know that we shouldn't derail a perfectly good thread complaining about football, but imagine being so stupid you think a slogan saying a certain group of human beings deserve to live is racist. What miserable thing must have gone on in your life to have you draw that conclusion?

NO misery here. Nor stupidity. ALL lives matter. What part of that do you not get?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    bobmunro said:
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

And you get your knowledge where?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Major said:

Oh...nothing at all
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

You have it in a nutshell. My point exactly. They are there to play football and entertain us. Leave the bloody political messages, virtual signalling and social engineering out of it. Just like Hollywood celebs lecturing us on how we are supposed to feel and live. Just do what you are paid millions to do and stfu. We can make our own decisions and most of us are better informed than those in the 'Glam' world.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And by the way, I did not wish to derail a thread, either. Those focusing on anything other than the absurdity of what matters in football officiating have chosen that route.
    If a clear goal cannot be awarded, what is the point of VAR?
  • Options

Oh the irony!!
    Bet Ledley King choked on his morning tea when he saw that!
  • Options
    Major said:
    sam3110 said:
    Major said:

Oh...nothing at all
    rananegra said:
    Major said:

You have it in a nutshell. My point exactly. They are there to play football and entertain us. Leave the bloody political messages, virtual signalling and social engineering out of it. Just like Hollywood celebs lecturing us on how we are supposed to feel and live. Just do what you are paid millions to do and stfu. We can make our own decisions and most of us are better informed than those in the 'Glam' world.
    If you're going to have a veiled racist rant at least try and be correct in what you are ranting.
    It's VIRTUE SIGNALLING, look it up and learn something.
  • Options
    Back to football, a must win match for Norwich now
  • Options
    God that's 45mins I wont get back

These are nothing more than glorified friendlies 
  • Options
    I'm hoping the later game today is the first actual football match of the corona era
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I know people like to use house analogies on this forum