Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• If we don't get Matthews back I would be happy with Freeman. 
  • Another pathetic bid inbound

• https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/alfie-doughty-celtic-transfer-blow-22682277

Alfie Doughty to Celtic transfer blow as Charlton take hardline stance on summer deal

The Parkhead club have already had a £400,000 offer knocked back for the youngster.

Charlton have told Celtic Alfie Doughty is not for sale – even though he is out of contract in the summer.

The League One side have kicked out a second bid for the 20-year-old from the Scottish champions believed to be around £500,000.

The Addicks are refusing to play ball over an asking price and have told the Hoops they don’t want to sell him. Celtic failed with an opening £400,000 bid and now have to consider whether they try again or wait and sign Doughty on a pre-contract.

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer has urged Doughty to sign a new deal as his best opportunity for first-team football would be with his current employers.

The other issue is a complicated struggle for power at the London club and that has also impacted on any outgoings or signings.

Neil Lennon could get him for a cut-price deal cross border but if he was to remain in England then Charlton would be in line for a significant six-figure compensation package.

Doughty has played most of his football at left midfield but Celtic want him to fight it out with Greg Taylor for the left-back slot.

If they can’t get a deal over the line Celtic may need to look at a short-term loan option as cover.

• MattF said:
    Another pathetic bid inbound

Just tying to take advantage of our situation. 4-5m ... 800k is pathetic. 
  • Clearly trying to unsettle him. Especially by leaking it to the media that he'd be in the running for a first team place.
  • “Refusing to play ball” So because it’s Celtic, we should just roll over and let them tickle our tummy? 
    Maybe we don’t actually want to sell him or don’t think the offers meet our valuation.
    But as it’s Celtic would should be thankful I guess that they are prepared to take one of our talented kids at a knockdown price!
  • AndyG said:
    The "eyebrow raising" comment is a bit intriguing, it must be a bigger name than any being mentioned imo
    Denis Healey ?
    I think he's too injured, even for us.
  • We should do like Peterborough did with their forward, out price him and state a figure that puts them off, 5M say.  The tight Scottish club would soon walk away.
  • Sponsored links:

• We should do like Peterborough did with their forward, out price him and state a figure that puts them off, 5M say.  The tight Scottish club would soon walk away.
    Might send the wrong Signal to the player if you want him to sign a contract extension ? 
  • Keep Doughty, play him regularly on the wing, he’ll have a good season and if he does leave at the end of his contract we’d likely get more than £800k in compensation anyway.

Bowyer’s expecting Doughty to easily score 10+ this season. I guess he’s one reason Bowyer is favouring a 4-5-1/4-3-3. In a diamond Doughty would likely play left back but at this level he should score and assist plenty if played higher up the pitch.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-expecting-celtic-target-to-net-double-figures-in-league-one/
  • If he doesn't sign a contract extension then best bet for us is he has a really good season here and a few English teams take an interest, possibly Fulham again for one. If he goes to Scotland like Aribo then we can kiss goodbye to he development fee.

Love how Celtic seen to think they have all the power like it's their player they're discussing. 
  • MattF said:
    If he doesn't sign a contract extension then best bet for us is he has a really good season here and a few English teams take an interest, possibly Fulham again for one. If he goes to Scotland like Aribo then we can kiss goodbye to he development fee.

Love how Celtic seen to think they have all the power like it's their player they're discussing. 
    Pisses me right off when the big clubs get all stroppy when someone bigger comes in for their players

"X club shouldn't be talking about our player like that"

Oh well its okay for you to be talking about our players then!!
  • Most clubs go in with low bids. Arsenal are doing exactly the same to Celtic with Edouard.

Bids of 15 then 20m, when Celtic apparently want 40m.

Personally i think if they offer 1.5m-2m we'll consider it. No chance at the current prices they're offering though.
  • I hear that six coming in tomorrow.

Sauce - RedHenry on the takeover thread!
  • Redrobo said:
    We have to stop thinking of players as ‘only league1’ and start thinking of their value as a player. This is what Brentford are doing and they are getting those fees. Doughty is worth every penny of £5m and probably more. He is young with pace to burn. If he scores a few there will be plenty in for him in January.
    Brentford get good fees because their players are tied to 3-4 year contracts. Doughty has 10 months left.

Watkins for example signed for them on a 4 year deal in 2017. In 2019 they gave him another 4 year deal with a 1 year extension option, effectively tying him to the club until 2024. So any clubs wanting him had to pay a high price. If Doughty was tied to us for 4 more years he'd be worth millions. 

However on the flip side of that is the fact that just last year he was on loan at Bromley. Perhaps those inside the club weren't sure how good he'd turn out, to warrant offering him a longer deal? If injuries hadn't hit us last season would he even have got a chance in our first team?

Same with Grant. He wasn't exactly doing that well for us and i doubt many were sorry to see him get loaned to Crawley. A shit loan spell there might have seen him possibly even end up being released. He came back a different player and we were caught out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    I hear that six coming in tomorrow.

Possible 7 now.

RB x2
    CB x2
    LB
    RF
    CF

My guess, no ITK knowledge.
  • Chunes said:
    Redrobo said:
    I hear that six coming in tomorrow.

Possible 7 now.

RB x2
    CB x2
    LB
    RF
    CF

My guess, no ITK knowledge.
    Knowing Bowyer it will be CM x 7
    I’m told that 5 of the new signings are goalkeepers. 
  • The international transfer window shuts on 6th October. I believe there will be interest in England at the figure Celtic are offering.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    The international transfer window shuts on 6th October. I believe there will be interest in England at the figure Celtic are offering.
    £10m and I'll listen
  • It would be quite a statement of intent if once the takeover goes through we tell Celtic to do one and he signs a nice long term contract with us
  • Im assuming Phillips must be one of the players making way for 6 to come in so one must be a GK im guessing.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Im assuming Phillips must be one of the players making way for 6 to come in so one must be a GK im guessing.
    Would we need another goalkeeper is Phillips left?
  • MattF said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Im assuming Phillips must be one of the players making way for 6 to come in so one must be a GK im guessing.
    Would we need another goalkeeper is Phillips left?
    AMB might need a full season out on loan.