Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    Maybe a bit off topic but does anyone have a link where I can read up about salary cap stuff? 

I’m just thinking about Bowyers comments the other day about clubs who got players in before the cap. 

So what, those salaries don’t count towards the 2.5m? If wage is already above 2.5m they can’t sign anymore players without letting others go? 
    The contributions of those salaries towards the wage bill are taken at the average of £2k a week. 
    Sorry a little lost here

So if Pearce is on £4k per week, because he signed the deal before the cap came into force, it means the Cap sees him as on the £2k p/w average?
    Good point. Also just seen from Price Of Football twitter account that EFL have beefed up their powers to check clubs are sticking to this. But when a lot of it seems to fall into grey areas, aren’t they just asking for trouble? 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Maybe a bit off topic but does anyone have a link where I can read up about salary cap stuff? 

I’m just thinking about Bowyers comments the other day about clubs who got players in before the cap. 

So what, those salaries don’t count towards the 2.5m? If wage is already above 2.5m they can’t sign anymore players without letting others go? 
    The contributions of those salaries towards the wage bill are taken at the average of £2k a week. 
    Sorry a little lost here

So if Pearce is on £4k per week, because he signed the deal before the cap came into force, it means the Cap sees him as on the £2k p/w average?
    That's right. Think it might be less than that, read somewhere the average is £1.7k
  • Options
    MattF said:

Sorry a little lost here

Yes. It would otherwise  be grossly unfair to penalise clubs for deals signed before the new rules came in
  • Options
    That sounds reasonable, I guess the trouble is, if we hit £2.5m for wages this season and Pearce is out of contract

The best Contract we can then offer Pearce has to be lower than what he's on now to stay below that cap
  • Options
    That sounds reasonable, I guess the trouble is, if we hit £2.5m for wages this season and Pearce is out of contract

The best Contract we can then offer Pearce has to be lower than what he's on now to stay below that cap
    It would depend I think if there was a clause in his contract to trigger an extension, that should allow him to stay on his current salary.

I'm also not sure what happens if there is no clause but we want to offer him a contract extension.
  • Options
    MattF said:

It would depend I think if there was a clause in his contract to trigger an extension, that should allow him to stay on his current salary.

I'm also not sure what happens if there is no clause but we want to offer him a contract extension.
    Yeah just saw he is in fact out of Contract in the summer... Interesting year for him with the takeover on the horizon
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Ferryman said:
    redbuttle said:
    Could be Marcus Maddison
    Can't see him accepting £1300-2000 pw
     The £1,300 is a short term efl limit during an embargo. Why, when out of an embargo, why would we only be offering £2k per week?
    The £2.5m salary cap in League 1.
    I thought it was total per squad couldn’t exceed £2.5m, not a maximum per player. We can pay one player 2.3m if we want and all the rest 0.2 between them. 

Players like Maddison need to drop their expectations but there isn’t a 2k limit
    It’s not completely clear but you’re unlikely to get many clubs offering a player say £5k a week because if you want a balanced squad it means having a much smaller budget for another position in the squad.

You can get round it by signing u21 as they aren’t counted, but sign too many and that comes with its own risks.
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain clubs can still offer players contracts that exceed the wage cap, but they'll then be subject to a 200% penalty on every £ above £2.5m. So if a L1 club ends up with a wage bill (+bonuses and agents fees) of £3m, they'll actually have to shell out £4m.

It wouldn't surprise me if a few clubs end up willingly exceeding the cap on this basis, especially those that are confident of a return to the Championship. I'm sure there are clubs whose % drop in wage bill from the 19/20 season to the 20/21 L1 salary cap will be larger than their % drop in revenue and so would be willing to stomach the fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    redbuttle said:
    Could be Marcus Maddison
    Me neither but then again,its more than hes on at the moment!
    The closer it gets to the deadline, the more likely Maddison will be to take 2k a week or whatever a league one club is offering. As the alternative is sitting on his arse earning nothing for a few months.

Yes he might well decide to stick it out given the January window isn't far away, but there's no guarantees he's going to get a better deal then either.

Personally i still think he'll end up at Sunderland as he's from the north east.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    redbuttle said:
    Could be Marcus Maddison
    The closer it gets to the deadline, the more likely Maddison will be to take 2k a week or whatever a league one club is offering. As the alternative is sitting on his arse earning nothing for a few months.

Yes he might well decide to stick it out given the January window isn't far away, but there's no guarantees he's going to get a better deal then either.

Personally i still think he'll end up at Sunderland as he's from the north east.
    Doesnt have to worry about the deadline though does he as he's a free transfer

Can wait as long as he wants and even see if an injury crisis makes a club desperate for his demands
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    redbuttle said:
    Could be Marcus Maddison

Also he is a Sunderland fan apparently. 

He is a player I would take in L1 but not the Championship. 
  • Options
    Cawley says Maddison is not one of the names mentioned.
  • Options
    It’ll be Ben Watson, good signing but getting on a bit. Not sure it necessarily warrants a raised eyebrow at his ages tbh.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah I'd have been shocked had Lee Gregory been an option

Not fussed about Maddison too much
  • Options
    Whilst Watson would obviously be a superb signing at this level, when you see our bench yesterday had Williams, Oztumer, Levitt and Morgan, midfield is hardly an area we need to strengthen right now.

Priority surely has to be a right back and probably two centre backs.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t be shocked if there was movement out as well as in when things get finalised and the embargo is lifted. 
  • Options
    It was never going to be Gregory  

Iirc he moved last year for family reasons, so I don't think he would join us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he is from that way anyway.  I was surprised he left Millwall but moved further back to his family roots. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I think he is from that way anyway.  I was surprised he left Millwall but moved further back to his family roots. 
    Yeah Millwall signed him from Halifax 
  • Options
    Season's started and Maddison is still without a club. Ha!
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The "eyebrow raising" comment is a bit intriguing, it must be a bigger name than any being mentioned imo
    Could be back in for Bostock
  • Options
    I tend to think the opposite 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The "eyebrow raising" comment is a bit intriguing, it must be a bigger name than any being mentioned imo
    Or a raised eyebrow in ‘is that it?’ kinda way.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:
    Or a raised eyebrow in ‘is that it?’ kinda way.
    Someone asked Cawley if it was eyebrow raising in a good way and he said yeah.
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if it is a really well known player at the twilight end of his career interested in being part of a "project" we will see 😁