Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

Yep and it's always the same. Big and or dirty.
    Cripps, Dunphy, Kitchener, Cascarino, Sheringham, Hurlock, Wise, Fashanu, Muscat, Roberts, Thatcher, Matt Smith.
    Not forgetting Pat Van den Hauwe who assaulted poor Shawn Newton.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Chunes said:
    Hemed and Bonne getting a lot of stick, and I do see why, but I honestly think the pair of them are not far away. They haven’t built a partnership yet, but their link up play with midfield, when anyone from midfield gets up around them, is decent. Hemed in particular has shown some very nice touches and flicks since the restart that have opened up space and got attacks flowing. Bonne’s first touch is unreliable, but again he holds the ball up decently. Both of them desperately need a goal though. Bonne in particular. They’re getting chances which is an improvement on pre lockdown, particularly for Hemed. Bonne we know can finish but self belief has ebbed away from him. Contrast his thunderous, instinctive first time finish vs Derby earlier in the season (a strike of real quality) vs the timid pass back last night. The first shows the ability within him, the second shows the lack of belief. Bowyer needs to get inside his head and he needs a goal fast. Again, I’d have them doing non stop finishing training at the moment. 

We need to move the ball faster in attack too. We did this vs Hull and QPR and opened space and got into good areas. One and two touch passing through the lines. We started like it last night too and had early joy, but some got dragged down to their level and played it long too much. Perhaps the midfield were a bit leggy - Cullen had his worst game since the restart, unsurprisingly with the minutes he’s played this week. Bowyer needed to be earlier and more attacking with his subs imo.

I don’t believe last night means it’s all over again though, we can still very much get the points we need. Certain players have to be at their maximum, but we do have enough in this squad. Stay with them. 
    They had terrible service, it's not as if our midfield are creating loads of chances for them
    Again, this isn't true. They've both had chances and never looked like scoring any of them
    I can't think of many clear cut chances last night other than the Bonne miss. There were a couple of shots where Hemed could have done better, but you still would have expected the keeper to save them
    Hemed had a chance in the second minute after Bonne played him in and tamely struck it at the keeper. Not the easiest chance, but it was clear cut, he had time and the whole of the goal to aim at. Set the tone for what was to follow.

He also had the chance he hooked wide in the first half which was a lot better than the commentator seemed to think and was running in treacle when put through second half. And the header that clipped the outside of the post.

Three or four decent chances and no goals. 
    That shot from the edge of the area was hardly one you would expect him to score from. Yes he should have tested the keeper more and maybe won a corner, but it would have needed to be an Aguero or KDB to get it in from there 
  • Options
    I've been perplexed that Williams hasn't had game time recently. Yesterday he got fouled once as per normal but generally seemed to be playing safe. Not the go at 'em Jonie that we all appreciate and love.
    Cullen looked knackered, not surprising considering he has played in all our games so far.
    Expect seven changes for the Brentford game. Maybe give Davison a go.
    Feel like shit today. Perhaps I'll cheer up if palarse, luton and barnsley lose. 
    You must have cheered up considerably this afternoon!
  • Options

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    our strike force is like Miss.Millwall - toothless 
    Thank god they've only got two more goals than us then and had to rely on a Defender to win them the game yesterday...
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Chunes said:
    Hemed and Bonne getting a lot of stick, and I do see why, but I honestly think the pair of them are not far away. They haven’t built a partnership yet, but their link up play with midfield, when anyone from midfield gets up around them, is decent. Hemed in particular has shown some very nice touches and flicks since the restart that have opened up space and got attacks flowing. Bonne’s first touch is unreliable, but again he holds the ball up decently. Both of them desperately need a goal though. Bonne in particular. They’re getting chances which is an improvement on pre lockdown, particularly for Hemed. Bonne we know can finish but self belief has ebbed away from him. Contrast his thunderous, instinctive first time finish vs Derby earlier in the season (a strike of real quality) vs the timid pass back last night. The first shows the ability within him, the second shows the lack of belief. Bowyer needs to get inside his head and he needs a goal fast. Again, I’d have them doing non stop finishing training at the moment. 

We need to move the ball faster in attack too. We did this vs Hull and QPR and opened space and got into good areas. One and two touch passing through the lines. We started like it last night too and had early joy, but some got dragged down to their level and played it long too much. Perhaps the midfield were a bit leggy - Cullen had his worst game since the restart, unsurprisingly with the minutes he’s played this week. Bowyer needed to be earlier and more attacking with his subs imo.

I don’t believe last night means it’s all over again though, we can still very much get the points we need. Certain players have to be at their maximum, but we do have enough in this squad. Stay with them. 
    They had terrible service, it's not as if our midfield are creating loads of chances for them
    Again, this isn't true. They've both had chances and never looked like scoring any of them
    They did get chances, not all off them were due to smart midfield play though - Bonne’s one-on-one, for example, came about because we won two 50:50 tackles in succession, it was actually very scrappy but broke our way. Strikers need more than one chance a game to score too, even the most clinical usually need 3 or 4 decent chances to get one goal. 

The question, therefore, isn’t are we creating chances period, it’s are we creating enough chances, are they good enough chances, and also are midfielders making runs that help strikers - giving them options for layoffs, drawing defenders away to create space etc. I’d say, since Gallagher left, our midfield is woefully short on that last point. The final ball has been too often the wrong option or off target - I’m not sure we put a good cross in all night last night, despite multiple opportunities to do so, and it wasn’t any one player in particular who was guilty of it. Williams is our best attacking midfielder, but he has virtually no natural goal scoring instinct. JFC is probably the best we have at breaking from midfield, but he’s behind his teammates in all other areas.

I’m not absolving the strikers off all responsibility - they all need to do more - but I do think a significant part of the root cause for our lack of goals lies in midfield, just like our defence looked so much weaker when we had most of the midfield out injured earlier in the season. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Chunes said:

I can't think of many clear cut chances last night other than the Bonne miss. There were a couple of shots where Hemed could have done better, but you still would have expected the keeper to save them
    Hemed had a chance in the second minute after Bonne played him in and tamely struck it at the keeper. Not the easiest chance, but it was clear cut, he had time and the whole of the goal to aim at. Set the tone for what was to follow.

He also had the chance he hooked wide in the first half which was a lot better than the commentator seemed to think and was running in treacle when put through second half. And the header that clipped the outside of the post.

Three or four decent chances and no goals. 
    That shot from the edge of the area was hardly one you would expect him to score from. Yes he should have tested the keeper more and maybe won a corner, but it would have needed to be an Aguero or KDB to get it in from there 
    You what, are you serious?

A striker is played into space on the edge of the box with nobody between him and the goal and you don't think he should score?

But yes, the fact he's so slow and took the shot on too early meant it became a more difficult chance than it should've been and I definitely DIDN'T expect him to score, because I don't have any confidence in him scoring at all at the moment. But as chances go it was a good one.
    On his wrong foot as well
  • Options
    On the subject of millwall the only game that really broke my heart was the last minute Ian Dawes equalizer to make it 2-2 back in 1989. Sounds crazy but il take that one to my grave.
    #metoo.

I was in the Millwall end with my Millwall mate.
    Even in 1989 we rarely beat them (we haven't in the whole history).
    We were 2 up with a couple of mins left and he says "ok I'll give you that one, shall we head towards the exit?"

So we'd won, he said we'd won, he said you can have it!

We walk about 10 yards and they pulled one back.

We get to the half way line walk way exit, with our final glimpse of the pitch, waiting for the ref to blow for full time & they equalised.
    Yes I was at this one too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:

Do we have a forward who can take a defender 1 on 1 beat them with pace and get a shot off? I rest my case
    André Green?  I would play him instead of either Hemed or Bonne.  I don't think Davison is up to it yet.  And sadly I can't see Aneke scoring.
    Green was poor against Cardiff.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If this was even a sunday league match you would be expecting/telling your striker his next touch should be taking this across the defender to either then shoot or draw the foul.

This was a much much better chance than some people think , which came from a great move.
    Surely if he takes it across the Defender then the No.4 is then able to cut the ball out?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Off_it said:
    If this was even a sunday league match you would be expecting/telling your striker his next touch should be taking this across the defender to either then shoot or draw the foul.

This was a much much better chance than some people think , which came from a great move.
    Surely if he takes it across the Defender then the No.4 is then able to cut the ball out?
    From 5 yards behind him?

He chose to let it run across him and hit it first time. Which was the wrong decision. That was my point when it was mentioned that he didn't have any clear cut chances. He did and this was the first.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    We can dig out Bonne all we like, but he’s a young lad who’s just made the jump from the National League to one rung under one of the top 3 divisions in the world...
    I agree, it's not a good position to be in to be digging out your own players, but in this case I think it's worth noting that he's not 'just' made the jump up from the National League, his 75 appearances for Colchester were all at full league level. As for his age, Charlton have beaten Millwall not once but twice, whilst he's been on this planet. If he'd come from Bermondsey he could have been a grandparent by now.
  • Options
    And will people stop taking about Millwall  getting into the play-offs. They are bang average & will lucky to be top 10. No doubt they will lose against the teams down with us.
    Millwall have an easy run in & could well make the play offs. 
    And help us on the way
  • Options
    I've been perplexed that Williams hasn't had game time recently. Yesterday he got fouled once as per normal but generally seemed to be playing safe. Not the go at 'em Jonie that we all appreciate and love.
    Cullen looked knackered, not surprising considering he has played in all our games so far.
    Expect seven changes for the Brentford game. Maybe give Davison a go.
    Feel like shit today. Perhaps I'll cheer up if palarse, luton and barnsley lose. 
    Your wish come true
  • Options
    Off It is right. Hemed should be driving towards the penalty spot. He might get tackled but equally likely he draws a foul, or even better he’d have got the ball onto his stronger foot and improved his shooting angle. It was a good chance. Not a golden one, but a good one that he didn’t do enough with. I can forgive him not scoring but it was a limp effort which is harder to excuse. 
  • Options
    Losing to Millwall won't define our season. I think we've had a good start and I would have taken 7 points from 4 games.

It is still in our hands and although last night was disappointing, we need to move on to Brentford quickly 

Speaking with the benefit of knowing today's results, we WILL NOT go down.  Barnsley and Luton are finished, and Wigan will not get sufficent points to avoid the third place spot.

Next season may be a struggle for us though......................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing to Millwall won't define our season. I think we've had a good start and I would have taken 7 points from 4 games.

It is still in our hands and although last night was disappointing, we need to move on to Brentford quickly 

Speaking with the benefit of knowing today's results, we WILL NOT go down.  Barnsley and Luton are finished, and Wigan will not get sufficent points to avoid the third place spot.

Next season may be a struggle for us though......................
    What, with all the £m's Elliot is going to put in  :)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    On the subject of millwall the only game that really broke my heart was the last minute Ian Dawes equalizer to make it 2-2 back in 1989. Sounds crazy but il take that one to my grave.
    #metoo.

I was in the Millwall end with my Millwall mate.
    Even in 1989 we rarely beat them (we haven't in the whole history).
    We were 2 up with a couple of mins left and he says "ok I'll give you that one, shall we head towards the exit?"

So we'd won, he said we'd won, he said you can have it!

We walk about 10 yards and they pulled one back.

We get to the half way line walk way exit, with our final glimpse of the pitch, waiting for the ref to blow for full time & they equalised.

That’s a brutal story, the only crumb of comfort is that we will always have Mortimer in the snow!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

Cripps, Dunphy, Kitchener, Cascarino, Sheringham, Hurlock, Wise, Fashanu, Muscat, Roberts, Thatcher, Matt Smith.
    From my memories Muscat was the worst
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Never played for Millwall against us. It was with Wolves when he ended Matty Holmes career
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    RedChaser said:

Never played for Millwall against us. It was with Wolves when he ended Matty Holmes career
    Fair play that’s my failing memory!
  • Options
    One goal in it. should've been a thrilling nil nil draw. We're staying up, I am convinced.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:

Yes of course I was telling my sons about that last night.
    IIRC we hadn't long kicked off before he deliberately smashed his elbow in Newts face, followed up by scum fans assaulting our then Chairman Roger Alwyn (corrected) and throwing tea over him in the West Stand.