Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

Yep and it's always the same. Big and or dirty.
    Cripps, Dunphy, Kitchener, Cascarino, Sheringham, Hurlock, Wise, Fashanu, Muscat, Roberts, Thatcher, Matt Smith.
    Not forgetting Pat Van den Hauwe who assaulted poor Shawn Newton.
    Yes of course I was telling my sons about that last night.
    IIRC we had long kicked off before he deliberately smashed his elbow in Newts face, followed up by scum fans assaulting our then Chairman Richard Murray and throwing tea over him in the West Stand.
    It was Roger Alwen. Murray would have revelled in it all and been lauded for it at Q&As for the next 10 years minimum 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

Cripps, Dunphy, Kitchener, Cascarino, Sheringham, Hurlock, Wise, Fashanu, Muscat, Roberts, Thatcher, Matt Smith.
    IIRC we had long kicked off before he deliberately smashed his elbow in Newts face, followed up by scum fans assaulting our then Chairman Richard Murray and throwing tea over him in the West Stand.
    It was Roger Alwen. Murray would have revelled in it all and been lauded for it at Q&As for the next 10 years minimum 
    We sometimes got it wrong. Maybe? I don't know his past and current standing amongst Charlton fans.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Chunes said:
    Hemed and Bonne getting a lot of stick, and I do see why, but I honestly think the pair of them are not far away. They haven’t built a partnership yet, but their link up play with midfield, when anyone from midfield gets up around them, is decent. Hemed in particular has shown some very nice touches and flicks since the restart that have opened up space and got attacks flowing. Bonne’s first touch is unreliable, but again he holds the ball up decently. Both of them desperately need a goal though. Bonne in particular. They’re getting chances which is an improvement on pre lockdown, particularly for Hemed. Bonne we know can finish but self belief has ebbed away from him. Contrast his thunderous, instinctive first time finish vs Derby earlier in the season (a strike of real quality) vs the timid pass back last night. The first shows the ability within him, the second shows the lack of belief. Bowyer needs to get inside his head and he needs a goal fast. Again, I’d have them doing non stop finishing training at the moment. 

We need to move the ball faster in attack too. We did this vs Hull and QPR and opened space and got into good areas. One and two touch passing through the lines. We started like it last night too and had early joy, but some got dragged down to their level and played it long too much. Perhaps the midfield were a bit leggy - Cullen had his worst game since the restart, unsurprisingly with the minutes he’s played this week. Bowyer needed to be earlier and more attacking with his subs imo.

I don’t believe last night means it’s all over again though, we can still very much get the points we need. Certain players have to be at their maximum, but we do have enough in this squad. Stay with them. 
    They had terrible service, it's not as if our midfield are creating loads of chances for them
    Again, this isn't true. They've both had chances and never looked like scoring any of them
    I can't think of many clear cut chances last night other than the Bonne miss. There were a couple of shots where Hemed could have done better, but you still would have expected the keeper to save them
    Those narrow angles are never givens, whereas a pull back for Hemed with an open goal probably would have been. It was a great move leading up to that Hemed left footed opportunity a little earlier. Judging by his reaction he knew he should have done way better!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:

What can I say? We had great foresight. You're welcome.

Sorry about Pat.
    If he'd have done that in the street he'd have been banged up for ABH.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Sorry about Pat.
    For throwing a cup of tea over someone? ;)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Sorry about Pat.
    For throwing a cup of tea over someone? ;)
    C'mon I had you down for a higher IQ than the average Spanner 😉.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If this was even a sunday league match you would be expecting/telling your striker his next touch should be taking this across the defender to either then shoot or draw the foul.

This was a much much better chance than some people think , which came from a great move.
    This snapshot pains me even more. Cut it back and even Hemed scores that
  • Options
    did colin murray on quest really say that m******l had crossed the thames to get to the match last night?

have they moved the ground while lockdown has been on?

• Options
    did colin murray on quest really say that m******l had crossed the thames to get to the match last night?

have they moved the ground while lockdown has been on?

He just looked up where millwall is and it’s north of the river filth 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the subject of millwall the only game that really broke my heart was the last minute Ian Dawes equalizer to make it 2-2 back in 1989. Sounds crazy but il take that one to my grave.

It's the only game I paricularly remember following on Teletext! Can't remember why. I didn't realise watching a screen with some writing in a weird font could piss you off so much!
  • Options
    Although there has always been rivalry with Millwall,I personally think the nastiness that now exists was born the day we played them at the Valley when the ludicrous Van der Hauwe done Newton and the idiot through tea over alwen.
    When I first started watching Charlton,my dad often took me to Millwall(then 3rd south) on our away days,I have to say I loved it.
    Afew years later they had that great run of 50 odd games at home un beaten,many played mid week and once again I saw as many as possible,to be fair,the atmosphere at the old den was electric,they had some really good players.
    obviously I am suicidal over fridays result,I have many Millwall mates,good people,and I dont begrudge them a strong finish to the season,especially for our sakes.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Although there has always been rivalry with Millwall,I personally think the nastiness that now exists was born the day we played them at the Valley when the ludicrous Van der Hauwe done Newton and the idiot through tea over alwen.
    When I first started watching Charlton,my dad often took me to Millwall(then 3rd south) on our away days,I have to say I loved it.
    Afew years later they had that great run of 50 odd games at home un beaten,many played mid week and once again I saw as many as possible,to be fair,the atmosphere at the old den was electric,they had some really good players.
    obviously I am suicidal over fridays result,I have many Millwall mates,good people,and I dont begrudge them a strong finish to the season,especially for our sakes.
    My memory of playing millwall from the middle 60s through the70s and early 80s is not as romantic as yours. 
    I second that and was mentally scarred as a teenager for life when it was a cauldron of hate and vile abuse towards us Addicks in 1966 at the time of the policeman murderer Harry Roberts.

A certain poster on here and his crew was in the thick of defending our honour in their home end before the police intervened and waded in to the home fans truncheons drawn having been provoked with a chant praising the deeds of one scumbag Harry Roberts.
  • Options
    Cos we’ve just rolled over and died whenever we’ve played this pond life in recent times  a lot of people don’t realise what filth this lot are .
    i dream of the day we nick a last minute winner against the scum , then a few of our green behind the ears mob will be in for a rude awakening as to what the scums true colours are .
  • Options
    My memory of playing millwall from the middle 60s through the70s and early 80s is not as romantic as yours. 
    What he says.
    I know why they are called scum.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cos we’ve just rolled over and died whenever we’ve played this pond life in recent times  a lot of people don’t realise what filth this lot are .
    i dream of the day we nick a last minute winner against the scum , then a few of our green behind the ears mob will be in for a rude awakening as to what the scums true colours are .
    You can quote me on this, I really don’t think there will be the mass violence you’ve predicted a few times when you finally beat us. You lot will go mental, our lot will give a few wanker signs back, we’ll all laugh to ourselves, in a “let them have their moment” type of way, and everyone will just go home. 

There may be a couple of isolated incidents around London Bridge and the like but nothing more than we’ve had over the last few meetings when You haven’t beaten us, and Where Charlton fans have been the instigators as much as Millwall’s. It’s not the 70’s anymore mate. It’s not even the 90’s/early 00’s. 
  • Options
    i agree with millwallfan here - most of the millwall fans i know couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag - definitely more of an image / myth thing now based on a reputation built many years ago 
  • Options
    You can quote me on this, I really don’t think there will be the mass violence you’ve predicted a few times when you finally beat us. You lot will go mental, our lot will give a few wanker signs back, we’ll all laugh to ourselves, in a “let them have their moment” type of way, and everyone will just go home. 

There may be a couple of isolated incidents around London Bridge and the like but nothing more than we’ve had over the last few meetings when we’ve beat you. Where Charlton fans have been the instigators as much as Millwall’s. It’s not the 70’s anymore mate. It’s not even the 90’s/early 00’s. 
    I hope you’re right but I’ve seen it too many times throughout the years ...scarred by the scums behaviour and of course our dickhead thermometer reading has ticked up over recent times.
    Im not predicting mass violence but there’ll be more than most of the younger generation will have ever seen before after a game 
  • Options
    Romantic is not a word I would use,but the times you mention was an era when football violence was the norm,and not the curse of one club.I remember qpr at the Valley one night when a mob of theirs charged our old covered end,it was carnage.We had Leeds,West Ham and others boasting their various armies.
    Have to confess I dont remember the unforgivable Harry Roberts incident,but we have had Leeds chanting about munich,supporters visiting spurs and chanting about gas chambers,West Ham supporters throwing paper planes at Sasa Ilic when he was being carried off,Newcastle fans throwing coins at Colin Walsh as he lay on the floor with a busted leg.And yes I do remember the appalling racist chants at Jermaine Darlington at the old den when as a 17 year old he was taken off injured and had to walk the length of the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favourite Millwall game was the 3-3 at Selhurst in April 1986. We made a storming comeback after going 0-3 down in the first 20 mins! Brilliant match in our promotion run-in. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Forgive me for one last comment,I and I am sure many others recall the day we got a draw at Chelsea  tostay up,we drove back through Millwall territory,they had secured promotion to the first division,my car was decked out in red and white(obviously)driving through a mass of blue and white,I feared the worst when a mob came towards me,I wound down the window,(to avoid the breaking glass which I was certain would come,)hands were shoved into the car,cans of beer offered,congratulations all round,very relieved but it was a moment which I will always remember.

I have always said the average spanner was misunderstood.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    My favourite Millwall game was the 3-3 at Selhurst in April 1986. We made a storming comeback after going 0-3 down in the first 20 mins! Brilliant match in our promotion run-in. 
    That game was an all time low and following the 2 goal come back at their place cemented my friendly hatred of them - the double in 96 put a lid on it for years as did relegating palace in that respect but the millwall irritation is back but we prevail eventually once the curse is broken and the natural order restored - the fact we never seem to play them when we have a decent side doesn’t help 
  • Options
    I get the frustration with Hemed, but he’s not a driving into space centre forward. Just like Jason Pearce isn’t a ball playing centre back and Darren Pratley isn’t a creative midfielder. Get better service into the box and into his feet and he will do a job. 
  • Options
    Just re read - thought u were talking about the 3-0 defeat with briley 30 yarder a few years later 
  • Options
    Seems bowyer doesn’t have the key to unlock the curse - it’s curbishley - get him back in some capacity for god sake and let’s stop all this mucking about 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Please, please someone tell me we were not as bad as this in previous three games. I had looked forward to watching them live and quite honestly I was so fed up and frustrated with the performance I thought I better wait until today to comment. Passing terrible, so called goal scorers, non existent, do we practice crossing the ball in opponents penalty area, it seems everyone was over hit. We moaned about Church but Hemed is worse, at least Church worked hard to defend, Hemed was with the goalscorer until it went into our penalty area and he stopped, WHY? If the starting 11 was our best 11 then I can only come to one conclusion, RELEGATION
    All four games have been tight affairs and pretty similar with the team who scored first always likely to win. It was always going to go the other way against Millwall. 

I can see the Reading, Brum and Wigan games being along the same lines so fingers crossed we nick a goal or two in them because the way we defend you would fancy us to win. Expect Brentford and Leeds to have too much.
  • Options
    Forgive me for one last comment,I and I am sure many others recall the day we got a draw at Chelsea  tostay up,we drove back through Millwall territory,they had secured promotion to the first division,my car was decked out in red and white(obviously)driving through a mass of blue and white,I feared the worst when a mob came towards me,I wound down the window,(to avoid the breaking glass which I was certain would come,)hands were shoved into the car,cans of beer offered,congratulations all round,very relieved but it was a moment which I will always remember.
    Yes, because we had just put Chelsea (who they hate far more than us) in the play offs and ultimate relegation.
    You perhaps seem a little naive in these matters.
    The spanners v Chelsea back then was a bit tasty.