Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    And will people stop taking about Millwall  getting into the play-offs. They are bang average & will lucky to be top 10. No doubt they will lose against the teams down with us.
    Millwall have an easy run in & could well make the play offs. 
    Hate to say it but I hope they do as we desperately need them to beat the team's around us 😳
  • Options
    our strike force is like Miss.Millwall - toothless 
  • Options
    On the subject of millwall the only game that really broke my heart was the last minute Ian Dawes equalizer to make it 2-2 back in 1989. Sounds crazy but il take that one to my grave.
  • Options
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

• Options
    On the subject of millwall the only game that really broke my heart was the last minute Ian Dawes equalizer to make it 2-2 back in 1989. Sounds crazy but il take that one to my grave.
    The worst thing we did in that game was score the second.
  • Options
    Really wish people would stop making excuses for these spineless gutless performances we were shit last night let’s be honest - and this was a derby we were “ up for” whatever that means reminds me of the Mk dons game a few season back when I think we got dicked 3-0
    Not wishing to provoke yourself or anyone else but the team feels like it’s put together with sticky tape. Thought they gave everything but just do not have the quality going forward.
    If that’s our 2 strikers giving there all fuck me we are in trouble.
  • Options
    Think we’d all have taken 7 points from the first 4 games back

just not the way they’ve come about 
    Agreed, that's top of the play off levels.
  • Options
    Millwall are exactly the sort of organised, big side we struggle against, so on reflection it's perhaps not surprising we lost

Think this is slightly misleading, first half when they were aiming everything towards Smith I thought we handled it pretty well bar a few very good crosses from Wallace. Second half they seemed to change it up and go more direct and run at us which seemed to cause a lot more problems. Pratley was basically playing as a third centre back most of the second half tracking runs. 

I guess that's the differences between us and them at the moment, though they have better players I wouldn't say it's miles apart but what they do have is the benefit of switching to a plan B. We for various reasons just cannot do that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing to Millwall won't define our season. I think we've had a good start and I would have taken 7 points from 4 games.

It is still in our hands and although last night was disappointing, we need to move on to Brentford quickly 
  • Options
    I think up front they're maybe a change at Brentford.

It's unusual for LB to have a pop in public about any player but he didn't hold back on Sponge and Foot last night.... So he may give Davison and Aneke a go...nothing to lose as nobody in the right minds is looking at Brentford as a winnable game. 
  • Options
    Really wish people would stop making excuses for these spineless gutless performances we were shit last night let’s be honest - and this was a derby we were “ up for” whatever that means reminds me of the Mk dons game a few season back when I think we got dicked 3-0
    Not wishing to provoke yourself or anyone else but the team feels like it’s put together with sticky tape. Thought they gave everything but just do not have the quality going forward.
    If that’s our 2 strikers giving there all fuck me we are in trouble.
    I thought they put a shift in bit but just weren’t very good. Hemed was unlucky with the hooked shot in the first half.
  • Options
    Hope we get a bit of help from the other results today but done a treble on Huddersfield, Luton & Barnsley as i've a horrible feeling that all 3 will win.
  • Options
    The worst thing we did in that game was score the second.

So true the delirium of getting the second goal was one of the best 85 minutes of watching any Charlton match truly shocking end
  • Options
    Josh Cullen needs to be given more of a license to play further forward rather than sitting in front of our back three/four. He can control games that way. See his spell at Bradford and the playoff final. 
  • Options
    Hemed and Bonne getting a lot of stick, and I do see why, but I honestly think the pair of them are not far away. They haven’t built a partnership yet, but their link up play with midfield, when anyone from midfield gets up around them, is decent. Hemed in particular has shown some very nice touches and flicks since the restart that have opened up space and got attacks flowing. Bonne’s first touch is unreliable, but again he holds the ball up decently. Both of them desperately need a goal though. Bonne in particular. They’re getting chances which is an improvement on pre lockdown, particularly for Hemed. Bonne we know can finish but self belief has ebbed away from him. Contrast his thunderous, instinctive first time finish vs Derby earlier in the season (a strike of real quality) vs the timid pass back last night. The first shows the ability within him, the second shows the lack of belief. Bowyer needs to get inside his head and he needs a goal fast. Again, I’d have them doing non stop finishing training at the moment. 

We need to move the ball faster in attack too. We did this vs Hull and QPR and opened space and got into good areas. One and two touch passing through the lines. We started like it last night too and had early joy, but some got dragged down to their level and played it long too much. Perhaps the midfield were a bit leggy - Cullen had his worst game since the restart, unsurprisingly with the minutes he’s played this week. Bowyer needed to be earlier and more attacking with his subs imo.

I don’t believe last night means it’s all over again though, we can still very much get the points we need. Certain players have to be at their maximum, but we do have enough in this squad. Stay with them. 
    Do we have a forward who can take a defender 1 on 1 beat them with pace and get a shot off? I rest my case
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    #metoo.

I was in the Millwall end with my Millwall mate.
    Even in 1989 we rarely beat them (we haven't in the whole history).
    We were 2 up with a couple of mins left and he says "ok I'll give you that one, shall we head towards the exit?"

So we'd won, he said we'd won, he said you can have it!

We walk about 10 yards and they pulled one back.

We get to the half way line walk way exit, with our final glimpse of the pitch, waiting for the ref to blow for full time & they equalised.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ct_addick said:
    Hemed and Bonne getting a lot of stick, and I do see why, but I honestly think the pair of them are not far away. They haven’t built a partnership yet, but their link up play with midfield, when anyone from midfield gets up around them, is decent. Hemed in particular has shown some very nice touches and flicks since the restart that have opened up space and got attacks flowing. Bonne’s first touch is unreliable, but again he holds the ball up decently. Both of them desperately need a goal though. Bonne in particular. They’re getting chances which is an improvement on pre lockdown, particularly for Hemed. Bonne we know can finish but self belief has ebbed away from him. Contrast his thunderous, instinctive first time finish vs Derby earlier in the season (a strike of real quality) vs the timid pass back last night. The first shows the ability within him, the second shows the lack of belief. Bowyer needs to get inside his head and he needs a goal fast. Again, I’d have them doing non stop finishing training at the moment. 

We need to move the ball faster in attack too. We did this vs Hull and QPR and opened space and got into good areas. One and two touch passing through the lines. We started like it last night too and had early joy, but some got dragged down to their level and played it long too much. Perhaps the midfield were a bit leggy - Cullen had his worst game since the restart, unsurprisingly with the minutes he’s played this week. Bowyer needed to be earlier and more attacking with his subs imo.

I don’t believe last night means it’s all over again though, we can still very much get the points we need. Certain players have to be at their maximum, but we do have enough in this squad. Stay with them. 
    Do we have a forward who can take a defender 1 on 1 beat them with pace and get a shot off? I rest my case
    Sorry, what case? To answer your question, unless Green bucks his ideas up substantially, no we don’t, but I don’t see what that has to do with how well Hemed and Bonne are or are not playing?
  • Options

Yes it was a 0-0, but I liked the 352 shape we used at Cardiff, with Doughty at wing back and Naby as the "spare" CB able to bring the ball out, leaving Pearce to do the physical stuff with Smith. And that was against better opposition than Hull or QPR, as Cardiff were a form team. 

Yep and it's always the same. Big and or dirty.
    Cripps, Dunphy, Kitchener, Cascarino, Sheringham, Hurlock, Wise, Fashanu, Muscat, Roberts, Thatcher, Matt Smith.
  • Options
    Seems like there were a lot of Millwall fans with winning bets yesterday.
    I lost a tenner, but at least I got 13 to 5. I’m not really getting the hang of this Charlton v Millwall thing am I, but I have learned that each defeat feels worse than the previous one.
    I think we would’ve won this match with Taylor, Gallagher and Leko, but without them Millwall are  the better side. 
    They also have the benefit of stability. Not to be sniffed at. 
  • Options
    I've been perplexed that Williams hasn't had game time recently. Yesterday he got fouled once as per normal but generally seemed to be playing safe. Not the go at 'em Jonie that we all appreciate and love.
    Cullen looked knackered, not surprising considering he has played in all our games so far.
    Expect seven changes for the Brentford game. Maybe give Davison a go.
    Feel like shit today. Perhaps I'll cheer up if palarse, luton and barnsley lose. 
  • Options

They had terrible service, it's not as if our midfield are creating loads of chances for them
  • Options

They had terrible service, it's not as if our midfield are creating loads of chances for them
    Again, this isn't true. They've both had chances and never looked like scoring any of them
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Again, this isn't true. They've both had chances and never looked like scoring any of them
    I can't think of many clear cut chances last night other than the Bonne miss. There were a couple of shots where Hemed could have done better, but you still would have expected the keeper to save them
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Chunes said:

I can't think of many clear cut chances last night other than the Bonne miss. There were a couple of shots where Hemed could have done better, but you still would have expected the keeper to save them
    Hemed had a chance in the second minute after Bonne played him in and tamely struck it at the keeper. Not the easiest chance, but it was clear cut, he had time and the whole of the goal to aim at. Set the tone for what was to follow.

He also had the chance he hooked wide in the first half which was a lot better than the commentator seemed to think and was running in treacle when put through second half. And the header that clipped the outside of the post.

Three or four decent chances and no goals. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

André Green?  I would play him instead of either Hemed or Bonne.  I don't think Davison is up to it yet.  And sadly I can't see Aneke scoring.