Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Forgive me for one last comment,I and I am sure many others recall the day we got a draw at Chelsea  tostay up,we drove back through Millwall territory,they had secured promotion to the first division,my car was decked out in red and white(obviously)driving through a mass of blue and white,I feared the worst when a mob came towards me,I wound down the window,(to avoid the breaking glass which I was certain would come,)hands were shoved into the car,cans of beer offered,congratulations all round,very relieved but it was a moment which I will always remember.
    Yes, because we had just put Chelsea (who they hate far more than us) in the play offs and ultimate relegation.
    You perhaps seem a little naive in these matters.
    But we would’ve wanted to hve played Chelsea in the top flight. 
  • Options
    Forgive me for one last comment,I and I am sure many others recall the day we got a draw at Chelsea  tostay up,we drove back through Millwall territory,they had secured promotion to the first division,my car was decked out in red and white(obviously)driving through a mass of blue and white,I feared the worst when a mob came towards me,I wound down the window,(to avoid the breaking glass which I was certain would come,)hands were shoved into the car,cans of beer offered,congratulations all round,very relieved but it was a moment which I will always remember.
    Yes, because we had just put Chelsea (who they hate far more than us) in the play offs and ultimate relegation.
    You perhaps seem a little naive in these matters.
    Having been the one experiencing this situation,I totally disagree,and having spent over 65 years watching and playing football,my comments are certainly not down to naivety.Perhaps you should maybe just accept that sometimes even the fiercest of rivalries can be suspended to congratulate each other on the respective achievements.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I am trying to do my bet to  retrieve our desperate situation.

£10 treble on Huddersfield, Stoke and Boro today.

Hopefully I've cursed all three as my normal betting record mirrors that of Charlton against Millwall.
    Think I’ll do the very same bet. Got to get something out of our Charlton misery 
    Thanks for the tip Len, I’ve managed to turn £10 in to £0. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Numerous occasions scum fans fronting up looking for agg in our end over the years .
    walking out of the old den /new den and scum fans looking for a ruck “come on then you train spotting c***s’ ffs you’ve just beaten us and now want to beat us up....
    Everyone has c***s but they outc*** everyone easily 

Viewing things from a different perspective and geographical location, for me it’s Leeds who are the c***iest of any supporters. I’d like to see Elland Road burnt to the ground whereas at the New Den I’d be content with just a few broken seats and dismantled u-bends.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Numerous occasions scum fans fronting up looking for agg in our end over the years .
    walking out of the old den /new den and scum fans looking for a ruck “come on then you train spotting c***s’ ffs you’ve just beaten us and now want to beat us up....
    Everyone has c***s but they outc*** everyone easily 

Viewing things from a different perspective and geographical location, for me it’s Leeds who are the c***iest of any supporters. I’d like to see Elland Road burnt to the ground whereas at the New Den I’d be content with just a few broken seats and dismantled u-bends.
    We hate those c***s as well. I’d say a lot more actual hatred towards Leeds from Millwall than towards Charlton. 
    With Charlton it’s a local rivalry that we obviously want to win for bragging rights. with leeds, West Ham, and to a lot palace, it’s a proper hatred. Obviously I can’t speak for all Millwall fans but that’s the general impression I get. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I am trying to do my bet to  retrieve our desperate situation.

£10 treble on Huddersfield, Stoke and Boro today.

Hopefully I've cursed all three as my normal betting record mirrors that of Charlton against Millwall.
    Think I’ll do the very same bet. Got to get something out of our Charlton misery 
    Thanks for the tip Len, I’ve managed to turn £10 in to £0. 
    You and me both mate.

At least the results took a little bit of pressure of Charlton so not all bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for your sacrifice Len. Do you think you could put some money on Bristol City to lose in their next three games too? ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Lets be realistic, there are some factors surrounding us over the last 10-12 years (basically since relegation from the prem) that would help Millwall get the edge in this derby in that time span. 

The biggest factor is how unstable Charlton have been as a club in that period of time, players coming and going, ownership all over the place, managers coming and going, the squad being rebuilt from scratch season after season, a squad more often then not consisting of mainly short term contract players (and managers!), loans and free cast offs. Millwall on the other hand have been pretty stable, theyve had a handful of managers in that period of time, no real major ownership/cashflow issues and a consistently more settled squad with multiple long term serving players. So when we play them, its basically whatever team we cobbled together that week/month/season vs a stable club with a solid squad. A squad that has only played together regularly since the previous August, with a bunch of loans and free transfers, many of those being players who perhaps are only at Charlton to help secure their next (bigger) move and would struggle to get extra motivated for a derby, vs a well drilled settled team of journeymen and club stalwarts and a manager who has been there for years. 

In the 12 years weve been bouncing around L1 and the Champ, weve only actually been in the same league with them 6 of those seasons, and Id argue weve only really had a genuinely very good quality side perhaps two of those seasons? Id say 2009/10 and 2014/15. Yes we failed to beat them in those seasons too, but I think if we had teams of that quality in the other seasons I think we would have beaten them more then once. Id argue that if we played them with the teams we had last season, and during 11/12 we would have won.

Another factor is that we never get the rub of the green and weve had all manner of odd occurances/weird moments that have conspired against us such as: 

- Bauer's disallowed goal in 2016/17
    - Solly being sent off at the Den when the ball hit him in the face in 2014/15
    - Tucudeans open goal miss in in 2014/15.
    - A feeling that we always seem to catch them at the wrong time, ie just as they start a long unbeaten wrong, or when we have an injury crisis. 

Ive clutched about 50 straws here probably, but its not as simple as "theyre just better then us" or "they want it more" although they are also factors to a degree.

• Options
    Let's be honest, we got what we deserved for that performance. As unlucky as the goal was.

The Bonne chance (bon chance) was the best one we had, I think he's gotta be cutting it back to either Hemed or McGeady for a better shot than the one he took on. If he does take it on, he's gotta do better than that.

Hemed also settled for a bad shot on his chance. Taylor probably does something better with both of those, which is obviously a very unhelpful thing to say.

Just gotta hope that there's another win in us somewhere. I think there is.
  • Options
    Let's be honest, we got what we deserved for that performance. As unlucky as the goal was.

The Bonne chance (bon chance) was the best one we had, I think he's gotta be cutting it back to either Hemed or McGeady for a better shot than the one he took on. If he does take it on, he's gotta do better than that.

Hemed also settled for a bad shot on his chance. Taylor probably does something better with both of those, which is obviously a very unhelpful thing to say.

Just gotta hope that there's another win in us somewhere. I think there is.
    We got what we deserved for one reason and one reason only. 

They scored and we didn't.

Otherwise despite many of the moanings on here, it was an even match - as the stats prove. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Lets be realistic, there are some factors surrounding us over the last 10-12 years (basically since relegation from the prem) that would help Millwall get the edge in this derby in that time span. 

The biggest factor is how unstable Charlton have been as a club in that period of time, players coming and going, ownership all over the place, managers coming and going, the squad being rebuilt from scratch season after season, a squad more often then not consisting of mainly short term contract players (and managers!), loans and free cast offs. Millwall on the other hand have been pretty stable, theyve had a handful of managers in that period of time, no real major ownership/cashflow issues and a consistently more settled squad with multiple long term serving players. So when we play them, its basically whatever team we cobbled together that week/month/season vs a stable club with a solid squad. A squad that has only played together regularly since the previous August, with a bunch of loans and free transfers, many of those being players who perhaps are only at Charlton to help secure their next (bigger) move and would struggle to get extra motivated for a derby, vs a well drilled settled team of journeymen and club stalwarts and a manager who has been there for years. 

I'm not sure the off field reasons are that relevant, as they might explain why we lost matches in general,  but not why we lost to Millwall. And we managed to lose, even when things were stable!

For example in Spring 2013 we finished the Championship season in style under Powell, including the 6-0 at Barnsley. We won SIX of our last 10 matches, losing only one...against Millwall at home.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    CAFCTrev said:

I'm not sure the off field reasons are that relevant, as they might explain why we lost matches in general,  but not why we lost to Millwall. And we managed to lose, even when things were stable!

For example in Spring 2013 we finished the Championship season in style under Powell, including the 6-0 at Barnsley. We won SIX of our last 10 matches, losing only one...against Millwall at home.
    Forgot that Millwall was during the end of season run, that might be the strongest team weve ever faced them with in the last 12 years actually. 
  • Options
    Decision to substitute Morgan at half-time, our most creative player, was tactical according to Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Decision to substitute Morgan at half-time, our most creative player, was tactical according to Bowyer. 
    Bowyer may not have been too happy the way Morgan lost concentration leading the Jed Wallace? chance when Diillon had to make a point blank save to deny him. His work rate has been good since his return and his ability to pick a pas has never been in doubt but defensively there's still room for improvement.
  • Options
    I do find it strange the approach towards Morgan, yeah sure he made a mistake there but why hasn't he called out Matthews for the mistake that actually led to a goal? 
  • Options
    The change absolutely fucked us. Zero creativity in the middle of the park and just invited them onto us. Wrong call in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Bowyer may not have been too happy the way Morgan lost concentration leading the Jed Wallace? chance when Diillon had to make a point blank save to deny him. His work rate has been good since his return and his ability to pick a pas has never been in doubt but defensively there's still room for improvement.
    He tracked all the way back and forced Wallace into a poor shot. 

Defensively since the restart I'd say Morgan has been better. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I do find it strange the approach towards Morgan, yeah sure he made a mistake there but why hasn't he called out Matthews for the mistake that actually led to a goal? 
    Was it Matthews or more like Hemed who failed to track Coopers run and gave up after about 10 yards and just watched on 😲.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The change absolutely fucked us. Zero creativity in the middle of the park and just invited them onto us. Wrong call in my opinion.
    This is an absolutely prime example of Bowyer's limitations as a manager, and perhaps a clue as to why he hasn't been snapped up by a 'bigger' club yet. Very good at assembling a solid team who'll fight for each other, not very good at...attacking football of any description
  • Options
    (Not that we could do much better in present circumstances, sorry Lee etc etc)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Was it Matthews or more like Hemed who failed to track Coopers run and gave up after about 10 yards and just watched on 😲.
    Whoever it was they didn't get chastised publically like Albie did
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    He tracked all the way back and forced Wallace into a poor shot. 

Defensively since the restart I'd say Morgan has been better. 
    I never said he hasn't Daz but there is still room for improvement. I'm a hard taskmaster as is Bowyer 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Whoever it was they didn't get chastised publically like Albie did
    They did from me the air was blue in my living room but then again Hemed has got issues at the other end of the pitch 😏
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Even so I'd argue Bowyer got it wrong taking him off. You can't punish a player for one mistake in an otherwise very good first half by the player.

I do think there's more defensively Morgan can do (learn to time a tackle better)
  • Options
    Massively surprised. It wasn't as if we were being overrun in central midfield at the time

I can only assume that with Pratley playing as an additional CB, he wanted 2 defensive minded midfielders in front of the back 3, but to me it sent completely the wrong message out to Millwall
  • Options
    Massively surprised. It wasn't as if we were being overrun in central midfield at the time

I can only assume that with Pratley playing as an additional CB, he wanted 2 defensive minded midfielders in front of the back 3, but to me it sent completely the wrong message out to Millwall
    Yep and it cost us really as we lost all creative flow.