Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The mathematics of relegation

Comments

• Options
    Here's a  table of all of the possible permutations in the championship. Haven't checked but I guess it's R'.

• Options
    The fact that 17th can still finish bottom of the league with 3 games remaining is astonishing. A crazy season. 
  • Options
    The fact that 17th can still finish bottom of the league with 3 games remaining is astonishing. A crazy season. 
    One of the best divisions I know of. It's quite often like this.
  • Options
    Wednesday (ignoring deductions) could finish in 6th...or 21st!
  • Options
    And Fulham could still be champions!!!!
  • Options
    I love this thread. It brings calm as death approaches, much like Buddhism I expect.
    Fanny ... can you update the list, please?

Through lockdown, I have been getting a bit fatter around the middle, but I hadn't realised it was quite that bad.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I love this thread. It brings calm as death approaches, much like Buddhism I expect.
    Fanny ... can you update the list, please?

Through lockdown, I have been getting a bit fatter around the middle, but I hadn't realised it was quite that bad.
    Blimers ! 

It's getting longer than my online Sainsbury's order

( That wasn't meant to be personal, DR....but you DO move in mysterious ways ....) 
  • Options
    Here's a  table of all of the possible permutations in the championship. Haven't checked but I guess it's R'.

I’d take 14th.
  • Options
    And off we go again.

A reminder that R currently sits at 8 (Luton are the critical team) and R' at 9 (Hull City are critical).

Go, you Super Hoops (please forgive me).

• Options
    Wigan 7-0 hull. Not even half time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's the end of R'! 
  • Options
    That's the end of R'! 
    Not exactly.

After the Wigan 8-0 Hull City result, R is reduced to 7 with Barnsley now the critical team, while R' becomes 8 and Luton are critical.

More news after the the Luton and Huddersfield games.
  • Options
    Yippeeee were in the bottom 3
  • Options
    4 points from the next 2 games will be enough. It'll take us to 50 points.

Barnsley would then need to win all 3 games - they won't do that.
    Wigan wouldn't be able to catch us.
    Hull would then need to win both games - unlikely they will do that, but even if they did, it would mean Luton couldn't catch us.

50 points will be enough, as long as we don't lose to Wigan.

• Options
    We have to start scoring before we can dream of winning
  • Options
    The Luton 1-1 QPR result means that R is now 6, with Luton, Hull City and Wigan all as the critical team.

R' (the scenario where Wigan's 12 point deduction is overturned) is now 7, with Barnsley as the critical team.

Quite a night ... but bring on tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If we win tomorrow and then Hull & Luton draw on Saturday, we're safe from them, unless there's a huge goal swing in the final matches.
    Then we just need Barnsley to lose one of their final three matches.
  • Options
    R and R' are now 6.
  • Options
    What's R&R?
  • Options
    What's R&R?
    Read the first post of the thread.

Tomorrow's game is massive, lose and we're in deep trouble, win and we put Birmingham in danger and give ourselves some wiggle room. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    R and R' are now 6.
    R' is the scenario where Wigan have their 12 point penalty overturned (hence, we can exclude them from the calculations).

So, currently Hull City have 45 points from 44 games (theoretical maximum is therefore 51 points.)

Luton are the same (45 from 44 games, maximum 51).

Barnsley have 43 points from 43 games, so they can theoretically record 52 points.

To be mathematically certain of avoiding relegation, we therefore need 53 points.

We have 46.

R' is 7.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    R and R' are now 6.
    R' is the scenario where Wigan have their 12 point penalty overturned (hence, we can exclude them from the calculations).

So, currently Hull City have 45 points from 44 games (theoretical maximum is therefore 51 points.)

Luton are the same (45 from 44 games, maximum 51).

Barnsley have 43 points from 43 games, so they can theoretically record 52 points.

To be mathematically certain of avoiding relegation, we therefore need 53 points.

We have 46.

R' is 7.
    If they beat Leeds, Forest and Brentford it'd be the greatest escape in football history.
  • Options
    R and R' are now 6.

think you've missed Barnsley's game in hand which makes R' 7
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Table looks really scary. Wigan now virtually safe. Udders with a 2 point gap. One thing is now clear, we don’t have enough points. We need three. One each from remaining games or one win. To my mind that means tomorrow is genuinely shit or bust. I just hope bowyer picks an attacking midfield.
    Wigan are not safe (assuming the 12 point penalty is not overturned).  They are ahead of Hull City (who are not safe) merely on Goal Difference (although admittedly by 27 goals).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The highest Hull OR Luton can get is 51 which puts the other on 48 max. They could split the profit at 49 each. 

Wigan’s highest point total is 51, but if we beat them we’ll finish above them.

Barnsley, having not played tonight, could still in theory make it to 52. With their rotten run in, I’m praying they’re adrift but mathematically speaking can’t discount them.

So 6 and 7’ depending on Wigan’s deduction. Hopefully dropping to 6’ tomorrow with a Barnsley loss, of which we’ll pick 3 up from a glorious 1-0 win over Brum.

• Options
    RedRyan said:
    The highest Hull OR Luton can get is 51 which puts the other on 48 max. They could split the profit at 49 each. 

Barnsley, having not played tonight, could still in theory make it to 52. With their rotten run in, I’m praying they’re adrift but mathematically speaking can’t discount them.

So 6 and 7 depending on Wigan’s deduction. Hopefully dropping to 5 tomorrow with a Barnsley loss, of which we’ll pick 3 up from a glorious 1-0 win over Brum.

Almost perfect, RedRyan ... but Barnsley play on Thursday so any impression on R and R' tomorrow night is purely down to us.

And only a 1-0 win at Birmingham?  Are you golfie in disguise?

• Options
    rina said:
    R and R' are now 6.

think you've missed Barnsley's game in hand which makes R' 7
    Go easy on him, rina.  He's doing his best.

:) 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    RedRyan said:

So 6 and 7 depending on Wigan’s deduction. Hopefully dropping to 5 tomorrow with a Barnsley loss, of which we’ll pick 3 up from a glorious 1-0 win over Brum.

Almost perfect, RedRyan ... but Barnsley play on Thursday so any impression on R and R' tomorrow night is purely down to us.

And only a 1-0 win at Birmingham?  Are you golfie in disguise?

Whoops didn’t realise Barnsley were an extra day before their match.

I’d more than happily take 1-0 from a scrappy in off the shin goalmouth scramble! (Although it would probably be flagged offside before they get given a penalty for Dillon handballing in the area)
  • Options
    Get the win tomorrow, and the pressure is on Huddersfield, seeing that they have to play West Brom and Millwall and have a worse GD than we do. On 48 points they could easily be caught by Luton and Wigan