Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Championship will be a relative easy division to survive in next season as well. It wouldn't take much investment to stay ahead of Luton, Barnsley, Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe

By contrast L1 will be a bastard to get out of. A really good Wigan side, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, Peterborough, Oxford, Hull
    Plymouth | Swindon | Crewe | Northampton all coming up as well, all will have that promotion bounce
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Leeds were very good tonight and look like they will push for a European place next season. To lay into the Charlton players when they were up against such quality seems harsh to me. 

Hope Bowyer stays, but can totally understand him going. 

Europe? Behave will you.
    Well they will keep that squad and add to it. They have Bielsa. And they are better than Burnley and Wolves were when they went up, both of whom got in Europe fairly soon after promotion. 

But anyway, not really important in the grand scheme of things. Just thought it worth pointing out, as the gulf in quality was plain to see.

Didn't wolves set a record points tally?
    Dunno. 

I just made the point because I can't quite work out what people expect when they criticise this Charlton squad for not putting  effort in.

The overall difference in quality and experience between the two sides tonight was so big that whatever the effort level was I reckon it simply would not have been enough. 

Before coronavirus I saw a lot of games, and the only one where I felt you could truly slag them off for not putting the work in was Middlesbrough away.

Anyway, it's all just opinions. If you and others felt they didn't put in enough effort tonight than I respect that. 
    They are excellent, they need to recruit, but a top half finish and a tilt at Europe isn't beyond them if they get it right.

Leeds are a smart team and definitely have a chance to solidify themselves back as a top club if they can keep Bielsa and the current setup around a few years with Premiership money.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the comments about us "not being good enough". We kept the nucleus of the team that won promotion: Phillips, Solly, Pratley, Pearce, Lapslie, Taylor, Sarr, Cullen, Williams, Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Morgan. Between July and September we added 11 more, and they were a fair mix of experience, quality and potential. We also kept Bowyer and Jackson. All of that and the natural momentum from coming up made me feel right through to the last few games that we would probably be ok, whatever the dealings off the pitch.

Given we ended up going down on the final day of the season by a margin of 2 points...I think we're looking at some very specific reasons for this relegation:

(1) Taylor clearing off and refusing to complete the season - completely self-inflicted, and the most selfish decision taken by a Charlton player in living memory
    (2) The loss of Gallagher - something we had no control over
    (3) The throwing away of the January transfer window, by the clowns who "owned" the club at that point - completely self-inflicted
    (4) We lost 17 games by a margin of 1 goal (and drew another 12 matches). That's 63% of our fixtures. Many of these were after we took the lead as well. Are we really sure that the team was always set up effectively at the start of these games? I'm not sure it always was...we often seemed to finish with a stronger XI after bringing on substitutes on the hour but not managing to get back in the game. No fingers pointed here, and no blame attributed, but could we not have dragged 3 extra points out of the season from these fixtures?

Very frustrating. I fear for the clubs future.
    An excellent post. Well summed up at this difficult time. Simon, have you ever tried ranting? Admire your measured assessment and erudite observations, but this seems such an appropriate moment to go for it! Let the anger flow!
  • Options
    Seen plenty of relegations in over 40 years of supporting this lot but tonight really hurt so much. Really feel for Bowyer and the team at the end as they heard the other scores. It could be another long time in L1 and I dread what sort of crowds we will get when allowed back in. But we will rise again one day and maybe with a decent owner too.  
  • Options
    Maybe time to finally reveal my Taylor photos haha 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    Anyone holding onto the off chance Wednesday will be deducted and Wigan won't be overturned on appeal.....  :|
    Wigan won't be overturned, I don't believe they expect it to be overturned either
    Dream come true for EFL tonight.
  • Options
    Gutted like everyone else.  Certainly not going to moan about players because they have run out of steam and been out classed by the Champions. 

They have done their best all season in difficult circumstances.

Bowyer & Jackson did all they could, hope they stay but don't blame them if they go.

Who knows maybe Sheff Wed will get docked points and save us.

However the future of the club is at stake and more important than what division we start in next season.  The season has finished so maybe now all these shenanigans will come to an end.  
    Too true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talking of fine margins. Fulham’s equaliser at Wigan came from a free kick that was never a foul in a million years. Swings and roundabouts indeed.
  • Options
    Painful. It's been like watching a very slow car crash. Lack of nous cost us. Game management. Couldn't see out games. Threw so many points away. Other teams got the results when it mattered. We didn't. Three points out of a possible 21 in our last seven games tells its own story. The championship is an unforgiving league and we got what we deserved. Well done to those clubs that showed bottle and fight at the end and got the results they needed. We weren't capable of doing that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    No coincidence that the bottom 3 clubs are all owned by complete c***s. The gutless weasels at the efl will do nothing,they don't give a shit and will keep the cheating big clubs happy,there will be no punishment for them this season. There's no way Bow will stay and no one can blame him. Esi, douchebag, southall,nimer, taylor, you're all scum for the way you've treated Bow and shat on the team,the fans,the club. You can all go fuck yourselves.

Yes, Redvalleyeast, but as there is no such thing as society, how can there possibly be your "local" football club.  It's not about the game, it's about FOOTBA££££££££££££££££. 

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I think we set up wrong for a team like Leeds. Needed to crowd the midfield and kick the sh*t out of them not allowing them to build. Instead we stood off them and kept giving the ball back in front of our defensive third. But having said that, they are a much better side than us and would still have beaten us. I am more frustrated at our death tactics at Birmingham and poor refereeing against Reading and a bit of bad luck against Wigan.  

There is always Sheffield Wednesday's point deduction. But the blame falls squarely on ESi and Roland for selling to these crooks. I did say in January, respect the points, but I didn't realise the reason we were not respecting the points was that we couldn't buy anybody. We came out of that vital window, where we only needed to strengthen a little, actually weaker! 
  • Options
    Talking of fine margins. Fulham’s equaliser at Wigan came from a free kick that was never a foul in a million years. Swings and roundabouts indeed.
    Exactly, no point in dwelling too much on what happened tonight. We had everything in our hands pretty much from the restart. Over the course of a season these things are more than fair unless you are a Wigan fan who I have real sympathy for.

A lot we can be angry about but the players and staff we had for the whole season gave absolutely everything, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough, the fact we took it to the final day is an absolute credit to those people though. 
  • Options

Not a foul? You're having a laugh, LargeAddick!! I am Bond.........Darren Bond........... and I fkd Charlton at home to Reading. It was a foul (but possibly not....... just check with the liesman........no, sorry,......... the linesman.......... whatever. Bye-bye. 
  • Options
    What a horrible way to end a horrible season. We had chances to stay up in those last seven games, but blew it. Just didn't have enough firepower up front.

That injury time goal for Barnsley was a kick in the nuts and Luton scoring three to win (two own goals and a pen) looks well dodgy to me.

I'm not expecting any help from the EFL regarding a points deduction for Wednesday, but until it's resolved there's always a chance I suppose.
  • Options
    Thought it was offside too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Season 2020/21 we go again 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    4 seasons of 3rd tier football in 74 years(2 relegations) ... about to enter our 7th season in the third tier in 12 seasons (3 relegations ) considerably the worse years of our history with our neighbours feasting in the league above for a number of these seasons and our distant neighbours feasting at the top table ....shameful times as pricks piss about with our ownership .....

having been a doomsayer in advance of most it still feels sickening beyond belief that it has happened but I know a crock of shite when i see it ..

we will genuinely struggle next season and I’ve never felt truly threatened by the third tier in the past but we are a proper shithouse of a club and everyone who can will desert the sinking ship .

PV & AB or bust ...

Kids in bits but they were warned.

Messages from scum , palace , Spurs , Cardiff , wba  mates all feeling sorry for me , fuck off I'm a c*** just like my club

Feel your pain mate.
    It's a life sentence supporting this club and most of it will be misery.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    4 seasons of 3rd tier football in 74 years(2 relegations) ... about to enter our 7th season in the third tier in 12 seasons (3 relegations ) considerably the worse years of our history with our neighbours feasting in the league above for a number of these seasons and our distant neighbours feasting at the top table ....shameful times as pricks piss about with our ownership .....

having been a doomsayer in advance of most it still feels sickening beyond belief that it has happened but I know a crock of shite when i see it ..

we will genuinely struggle next season and I’ve never felt truly threatened by the third tier in the past but we are a proper shithouse of a club and everyone who can will desert the sinking ship .

PV & AB or bust ...

Kids in bits but they were warned.

Messages from scum , palace , Spurs , Cardiff , wba  mates all feeling sorry for me , fuck off I'm a c*** just like my club

Has Duckshitalley got kids?
  • Options
    We will be back in a year <- enough of the jokes! At least there was one small mercy for me after such a diabolical night - I did have a lovely dinner!  
  • Options
    What a horrible way to end a horrible season. We had chances to stay up in those last seven games, but blew it. Just didn't have enough firepower up front.

That injury time goal for Barnsley was a kick in the nuts and Luton scoring three to win (two own goals and a pen) looks well dodgy to me.

I'm not expecting any help from the EFL regarding a points deduction for Wednesday, but until it's resolved there's always a chance I suppose.

But its all about well dodgy. It's EFL football!
  • Options
    I’d take 10th in league one or even 12th if we can get knocked out of the Johnny painting competition when we play Premiership u-12 girl teams as our first team fixture 
  • Options
    No addick with half a brain seriously expected us to get anything at Elland Road tonight. 
    Final nail hammered in at St Andrews when all we had to do in injury time was sit 8 in the box, claim the win and chill for next season.
    Below average teams with mounting injury problems do NOT repeatedly employ the diamond formation. A luxury we could ill-afford especially after our best player crippled during a mid-season jaunt in the Caribbean.
    Diamond jettisoned on the restart but the damage done. Congratulations to the tykes and hatters on generating the guts to survive. 
    Hard to know where we really go from here.
  • Options
    Who knows what our line up will look like on the opening day in Lge one??

With players out of contract, loanees returning,likely nil investment etc I can see us struggling!