Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Bowyer: ‘I don’t know what happening behind the scenes. You know a lot of the stuff that’s been going on, it’s just crazy, it’s not normal.”

Says it all. 
  • Options
    about to enter our 7th season in the third tier in 12 seasons (3 relegations ) considerably the worse years of our history 
    7 fucking seasons in League 1
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    about to enter our 7th season in the third tier in 12 seasons (3 relegations ) considerably the worse years of our history 
    Feels like we’re due a change of fortunes. Varney and Barclay. Modest ambition for a year. Then really build for sustained, stable success. 
    We can’t keep repeating this rubbish. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Feels like we’re due a change of fortunes. Varney and Barclay. Modest ambition for a year. Then really build for sustained, stable success. 
    We need Varney and Barclay to take over first, and that isnt a given! I sincerely hope they do.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the comments about us "not being good enough". We kept the nucleus of the team that won promotion: Phillips, Solly, Pratley, Pearce, Lapslie, Taylor, Sarr, Cullen, Williams, Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Morgan. Between July and September we added 11 more, and they were a fair mix of experience, quality and potential. We also kept Bowyer and Jackson. All of that and the natural momentum from coming up made me feel right through to the last few games that we would probably be ok, whatever the dealings off the pitch.

Given we ended up going down on the final day of the season by a margin of 2 points...I think we're looking at some very specific reasons for this relegation:

(1) Taylor clearing off and refusing to complete the season - completely self-inflicted, and the most selfish decision taken by a Charlton player in living memory
    (2) The loss of Gallagher - something we had no control over
    (3) The throwing away of the January transfer window, by the clowns who "owned" the club at that point - completely self-inflicted
    (4) We lost 17 games by a margin of 1 goal (and drew another 12 matches). That's 63% of our fixtures. Many of these were after we took the lead as well. Are we really sure that the team was always set up effectively at the start of these games? I'm not sure it always was...we often seemed to finish with a stronger XI after bringing on substitutes on the hour but not managing to get back in the game. No fingers pointed here, and no blame attributed, but could we not have dragged 3 extra points out of the season from these fixtures?

Very frustrating. I fear for the clubs future.
    An excellent post. Well summed up at this difficult time. Simon, have you ever tried ranting? Admire your measured assessment and erudite observations, but this seems such an appropriate moment to go for it! Let the anger flow!

Done my share of ranting in other areas about other things...but can't see where that gets us now. We need to be focused on the reality. The current "owners" have until 2025 to purchase the ground and training ground...but I've no idea they will do so. Will they invest in a strong squad for 2020-2021? I'd hesitate to think they will. I can see a real struggle ensuing to stay in the League structure.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Season 2020/21 we go again 
    Maybe
  • Options
    Bigger things to come off the pitch than on I suppose, though that doesn't numb the pain of tonight's results. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Valley11 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    We need Varney and Barclay to take over first, and that isnt a given! I sincerely hope they do.
    What's this Barclay guy worth though. I know his family is wealthy, but unless he has access to that, what hope do we have. 
  • Options
    Have to add one point of sympathy for the job Bowyer and the players have done this year. Looking back over the last 7 seasons, 48 points would have been enough to keep us up in all but one of them. In fact, most of the time anything over 40-41 would be enough to avoid relegation. Really frustrating. 
  • Options
    Have to add one point of sympathy for the job Bowyer and the players have done this year. Looking back over the last 7 seasons, 48 points would have been enough to keep us up in all but one of them. In fact, most of the time anything over 40-41 would be enough to avoid relegation. Really frustrating. 
    Yep, there are many ways the dice have been loaded against us this season, but the bottom line is we probably just needed to score one more goal in the right match, and we did have some really really good chances to do that, and we’d be staying up. We should’ve stayed up despite all the other stuff that has gone against us. 
  • Options
    Literally one goal would have been the difference in us staying up. Like the goal we scored but had chalked off against Reading. Or any of the penalty appeals we missed out on. Or not conceding in the 90+ minute seemingly every other week.

A combination of so many shitty factors.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Valley11 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    What's this Barclay guy worth though. I know his family is wealthy, but unless he has access to that, what hope do we have. 
    Funds are there.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    To survive as a club has to be the primary objective and for most of us that means under an owner that shares the values of the club

Integrity , a commitment to the fans and the communities the club is in and active in, and a recognition of the clubs history are all key to me. 
    I’d tolerate a number of years in League 1 for the above. Can I see it happening ?

We surely must face the brutal reality of our situation with an unswerving hope for the future if we are to have any chance 

Thanks Lee and Jacko and team for exemplifying the clubs values when successive owners have done anything but !! 
  • Options
    Can CAST sue the EFL if they dock Sheff Wed 9 points for next season ? 

• Options
    I don't want another season in League one the football is appalling. That Leeds team today played some lovely stuff. That is what we should be aspiring to. 
  • Options
    Waking up in the cold light of day , one thing that stands out is that the 3 sides which have gone down in the end all have had shit shows of owners. Same as with Watford in the prem , it will catch up with you in the end of you dont run your club well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the situation will flush out of the scene the potential buyers ESI were waiting on and allow Varney and Barclay to take over at a reasonable price. They have come in and done immense damage. But Roland needs to get real. His lack of reality created this situation and is allowing it to continue. If we get rid of these cnuts and have decent owners we will be back.

It would be helpful for the Wednesday situation to be clarified one way or the other as if there is going to be some sanity from these pricks, they need to know we are down. Maybe it is better we go down in the long run if we get rid of them. Duchatelet, Nimer, Southall et all should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    I genuinely can’t see us getting back to the Championship for a good few years if at all , sad times 
  • Options
    League 1 looks tough next season Sunderland Ipswich Posh Pompey Wigan Hull Oxford think we're do well to compete with that lot given were under a transfer embargo
  • Options
    The transfer embargo has to be sorted or we will do well to compete with anybody!
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I don't want another season in League one the football is appalling. That Leeds team today played some lovely stuff. That is what we should be aspiring to. 
    Surprising what you can do when you hire one of the worlds best managers, have a wage bill of nearly 50m, get top premier league youngsters on loan and have strikers worth 10m+.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I think they will do well in the Premier League. They probably need a top striker but I'm sure their manager knows what they need.
  • Options
    Couldn’t watch after the 3rd went in. Leeds absolutely tore us apart could have been any score they wanted. Haven’t seen us that outclassed and outfought in a long time. It was painful to see us being comfortably taken apart from a team who had nothing to play for.

• Options
    Been awake all night, couldn't sleep and feel awful this morning. I kept telling myself there's a glimmer of hope that the EFL will do the right thing and dock Sheff We'd for cheating, but those TWATS don't have the balls do they?