Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Been awake all night, couldn't sleep and feel awful this morning. I kept telling myself there's a glimmer of hope that the EFL will do the right thing and dock Sheff We'd for cheating, but those TWATS don't have the balls do they?
    Share your pain. 2 hours sleep max.
    I've been going to the Valley since 1972 and this is by far the worst relegation because of the uncertainty surrounding the club.
    At the moment there seems no hope and there is no way the EFL will help us out.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Been awake all night, couldn't sleep and feel awful this morning. I kept telling myself there's a glimmer of hope that the EFL will do the right thing and dock Sheff We'd for cheating, but those TWATS don't have the balls do they?
    Similar really. Had a crap day at work. Got in At 7:30 to watch the game. Couldn't bring myself to watch after half-time. Was chatting to daughter as the Barnsley winner went in. Felt sick. Then an hour later got some very stressful news. Woke at 2:30 and never got back to sleep. Just feels crap waking up to the reality that all that hard work to get out of League One was wasted and the future looks very bleak. 

Sadly this wasn't the most stressful thing on my mind this morning!
  • Options
    Was hoping it was all just a bad dream.

I need to try and switch off from charlton now as it's not good for my health/mood or my relationship.
  • Options
    Interesting the number of people posting in the night /very early morning.

Guess I wasn't the only one who woke up in the night pissed off and not able to get back to sleep. 

When my kids were little I always used to say to them "don’t worry, it will be better in the morning". Sadly it isn't today.

What a mess. 
    Without a change of ownership we'll be lucky to stay afloat in L1. 
  • Options
    Interesting the number of people posting in the night /very early morning.

Guess I wasn't the only one who woke up in the night pissed off and not able to get back to sleep. 

When my kids were little I always used to say to them "don’t worry, it will be better in the morning". Sadly it isn't today.

What a mess. 
    Without a change of ownership we'll be lucky to stay afloat in L1. 
    Totally agree. I wonder if the EFL will even let us kick off next year. 
  • Options
    Yeah the other 22 losses had nothing to do with it 😆
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was annoying me, the constant talk of how "dire" every other team around us was and "dead cert" for the drop. That final table should be a learning curve for some.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    mendonca said:
    It was annoying me, the constant talk of how "dire" every other team around us was and "dead cert" for the drop. That final table should be a learning curve for some.
    Exactly, on the little I saw of them all and the lot I saw of us Hull were the only team worse than us since the turn of the year 
  • Options
    Dont need any graphics to confirm that about Leeds!!...
  • Options
    One thing I got very wrong was hoping that Leeds would already be promoted and Champions before we played them, so that they'd be "on the beach". Instead it was many of the promotion teams which buckled under the pressure. 

WBA - 1 point from their last 2 game
    Brentford - lost their last 2 games after being really good previously
    Fulham - drew their final game
    Forest - lost their final 2 games

Barnsley beat 2 of them
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    about to enter our 7th season in the third tier in 12 seasons (3 relegations ) considerably the worse years of our history 
    7 fucking seasons in League 1
    Feels like we’re due a change of fortunes. Varney and Barclay. Modest ambition for a year. Then really build for sustained, stable success. 
    We can’t keep repeating this rubbish. 
    No we can't.  But the outcome is as likely to be the end of the club as regrouping and rebuilding.
  • Options
    The Championship will be a relative easy division to survive in next season as well. It wouldn't take much investment to stay ahead of Luton, Barnsley, Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe

By contrast L1 will be a bastard to get out of. A really good Wigan side, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, Peterborough, Oxford, Hull
    I disagree.  Getting out of L1 will be an almost dead cert next year.

Goodbye Sunderland. Hello Scunthorpe.
    A post I agree with, but I just can't hit the like button.
  • Options
    The Championship will be a relative easy division to survive in next season as well. It wouldn't take much investment to stay ahead of Luton, Barnsley, Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe

By contrast L1 will be a bastard to get out of. A really good Wigan side, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, Peterborough, Oxford, Hull
    I disagree.  Getting out of L1 will be an almost dead cert next year.

Goodbye Sunderland. Hello Scunthorpe.

As long as we still exist,  Bromley verses Charlton may not just be a friendly in 2 seasons time.
  • Options
    Same here, had 4 hours sleep max and feel like shite today. Interesting how many of us on here have had this same sleep disturbance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    It is certain that the next few weeks will see major changes in all areas of the club .. will Elliott go ahead with the purchase and continue to pay the wages and bills, and if he quits, who, if anyone will be interested in buying a 3rd strata club with huge debts and which doesn't own its home stadium ? ..  how many players will go, will the management team remain in place, will the 'ancillary' staff still have jobs ? .. will the fans still have the desire and will to keep supporting the club after all the recent turmoil ? .. questions, questions and still more questions.

CAFC has been through many tempestuous times, but in my over fifty five years of following and supporting Charlton, I have never felt as despondent as I do now. The future, at least in the short to medium term, looks dark, even worse than the eviction and exodus from the Valley. Times are different now, I can't see a scenario  whereby a dedicated group of fans can rescue a top professional club from very hard times now matter how hard they work and try. Nowadays it is ALL about big money and investment. I hope I am being over morbid and pessimistic. As ever we will see. If 'rescue' is to come, it needs to come quickly
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the comments about us "not being good enough". We kept the nucleus of the team that won promotion: Phillips, Solly, Pratley, Pearce, Lapslie, Taylor, Sarr, Cullen, Williams, Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Morgan. Between July and September we added 11 more, and they were a fair mix of experience, quality and potential. We also kept Bowyer and Jackson. All of that and the natural momentum from coming up made me feel right through to the last few games that we would probably be ok, whatever the dealings off the pitch.

Given we ended up going down on the final day of the season by a margin of 2 points...I think we're looking at some very specific reasons for this relegation:

(1) Taylor clearing off and refusing to complete the season - completely self-inflicted, and the most selfish decision taken by a Charlton player in living memory
    (2) The loss of Gallagher - something we had no control over
    (3) The throwing away of the January transfer window, by the clowns who "owned" the club at that point - completely self-inflicted
    (4) We lost 17 games by a margin of 1 goal (and drew another 12 matches). That's 63% of our fixtures. Many of these were after we took the lead as well. Are we really sure that the team was always set up effectively at the start of these games? I'm not sure it always was...we often seemed to finish with a stronger XI after bringing on substitutes on the hour but not managing to get back in the game. No fingers pointed here, and no blame attributed, but could we not have dragged 3 extra points out of the season from these fixtures?

Very frustrating. I fear for the clubs future.
    A spot on review in my opinion. The rose tinted gang on the “Thanks Thread” should read this.  We were not a shit awful, always Going to be relegated side. We basically kind of blundered our way into league one, with a combination of errors, compounded with some shit bad luck. I’m not blaming anybody, but I don’t go with the fact it was inevitable. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah the other 22 losses had nothing to do with it 😆
    As I said, ifs buts and maybes.

• Options
    IF IF that analysis is correct, we were about the worse team in the Champ. I would agree that especially from Christmas on we were pretty rubbish, but early season ? .. wins against Leeds, Stoke, Brentford, Derby .. draws v WBA and Fulham ? .. the graphs might be accurate for 2020, but we had some good results and performances in 2019 and that doesn't include Wembley ((:>) 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I have not read all comments but knowing our luck, if Weds get 12 points deducted putting them on 44 and below us, just as we start celebrating, we will find out that Wigan won their appeal. Seriously, I just want the ownership of our club to be sorted out and we can look to the fiture, whatever it entails

Just read that any points deduction will not be until next season
  • Options
    IF IF that analysis is correct, we were about the worse team in the Champ. I would agree that especially from Christmas on we were pretty rubbish, but early season ? .. wins against Leeds, Stoke, Brentford, Derby .. draws v WBA and Fulham ? .. the graphs might be accurate for 2020, but we had some good results and performances in 2019 and that doesn't include Wembley ((:>) 
    A good result isn't necessarily a good performance.

The wins v Leeds and Brentford for example were ones where on the balance of play we got absolutely battered, created a chance, took it and then worked incredibly hard to keep that lead. That's a perfectly valid way to play those teams and we still deserved those victories, but we know from the history of football that more successful sides create more chances (or better quality chances) than they concede. This chart shows that Charlton rarely did that this season, even with the good start.

No doubt there was a big trend downwards with the Taylor injury and the loss of Gallagher and Leko, but throughout the season we were consistently having less scoring opportunities than our opponents and that is not going to get you the positive results you need.

As close as it was, we just weren't good enough.
  • Options
    We should just accept it. The most important business is off of the pitch.  Who is to say that next season, if we stay up because the Wendies get a well deserved kicking, we will not be in exactly the same position, financially and squad wise?

I will also put money on something odorous and illegal coming out of the woodwork with the current shenanigans around our ownership, that would facillitate the EFL deducting us points next season.

So, I accept that we were not good enough but please let's be having you Mr Varney and Co, let's build again in Div 1. 

And if any or not all of the protagonists that have been the root cause our demise over the last four/five years could die a horrible but fully justified death, that would be nice.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    After a few hours of an uneasy nights sleep and a busy day at work to take my mind off things, on the way I have had time to on reflect on last night, and the following lyrics from The Jam summed it up perfectly for me -

“lights going out and a kick in the balls, i tell ya that’s entertainment....”

gutted.
  • Options
    We're all gutted but Forest fans must be feeling pretty sick too.

They lost 4-1 last night and dropped down to 7th while Swansea nicked 6th place on goal difference (1 goal).

Gallagher might be playing in the Prem after all next season one way or another.