Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't remember him getting abused when he was on the pitch
    Plenty of online abuse, both here and Twitter.
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. He was dire for two seasons and people will express their opinions on a footballer's performance, especially when it's as consistently subpar as his was. That's fair, I think it's unfair to class that as 'abuse'. A handful might have tweeted him, but unfortunately, that's all part of being a footballer who puts themselves on social media. (Or any public figure for that matter).

Given our performances over recent seasons, I think our players have enjoyed a decent reception from the fans that they generally don't deserve. 
    Expressing an opinion of a poor performance is not abuse but there was definitely abuse you just have to go back through this thread to see it, I'm not going to quote them but posts saying things like they hate him and he's a disgrace. That's way more than just saying you don't think he's a very good footballer also given that comments on here are more tame than Twitter you can imagine some of the stuff on there. 

Also was he "dire" for two whole seasons? I respectfully disagree, there were flashes of a good player in patches but unfortunately the bad games outweighed the good. 
  • Options
    Had forgotten all about him!
  • Options
    To be fair Gilbey was mediocre rather than awful.

That song was unacceptable, whatever stick he got. Bizarre too, singing about a team in another division, with no rivalry either.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Chunes said:
    All players get abuse and whilst it doesn't make it acceptable, they have to be professional and put Social Media abuse to one side. 
  • Options
    The video was irrelevant - the hard part was how bad he was when he was here and having to read so many posts talking about his potential and the often touted “There’s a player in there” line 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Chunes said:
    All players get abuse and whilst it doesn't make it acceptable, they have to be professional and put Social Media abuse to one side. 
    And if you read what I wrote originally I said he was wrong to sing that but I can somewhat understand why he might feel some resentment towards the club. But yes he should be professional enough to not have done it which he has acknowledged that it was wrong.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    An MK Dons player of the year like McLeod and Reeves were, so should do well for us...
    We need to stop signing MK Dons POTYs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It may have been irresponsible of Gilbey, but fans are quick to slag off players then get upset when players respond.
    A two way street surely?
    A Charlton employee should not be singing anti Charlton songs on a video on line, regardless!

Footballers are financially rewarded, even at league 1 level. His sending off towards the end of the season before last was pathetic and showed that he was here only for the pay day. Jackson should have had the balls to bin him then. fans pay lots of money to see football matches and if fans get to watch lacklustre gilbey, then they have a right to criticise.I've used the word criticise and not abuse.

gilbey was absolutely awful for us and has no right what so ever to disrespect us fans like he did. The apology had as much effort as his midfield displays. He should be ashamed of himself. In this instance, no, not a two way street!

I imagine given your user name you disagreed with Kiely telling Charlton he would leave if Todd did not get the bullet? :)
  • Options
    It may have been irresponsible of Gilbey, but fans are quick to slag off players then get upset when players respond.
    A two way street surely?
    A Charlton employee should not be singing anti Charlton songs on a video on line, regardless!

Footballers are financially rewarded, even at league 1 level. His sending off towards the end of the season before last was pathetic and showed that he was here only for the pay day. Jackson should have had the balls to bin him then. fans pay lots of money to see football matches and if fans get to watch lacklustre gilbey, then they have a right to criticise.I've used the word criticise and not abuse.

gilbey was absolutely awful for us and has no right what so ever to disrespect us fans like he did. The apology had as much effort as his midfield displays. He should be ashamed of himself. In this instance, no, not a two way street!

I imagine given your user name you disagreed with Kiely telling Charlton he would leave if Todd did not get the bullet? :)
    You can imagine that if you want 😀
  • Options
    The quality of passing with him and Shinnie in the middle... the rest of League One aren't ready for it.
    You've all made me do it. You've all made me go back through this thread
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Finally seeing the player we thought we were getting. More to come from him too, imo, because he's still a bit hit and miss at times. Really deserved his goal tonight. Covers the ground as well as any player I can recall playing for us, has an elegance and efficiency of running that reminds me of Thierry Henry. Forgive me the obviously mental hyperbole - I'm only comparing running styles, not pace or talent, although Gilbey is deceptively quick, especially when running with the ball.
    Gilbs is also deceptively skilfull on the ball.

Some really tight control, range of short and long passing, quick feet and change of pace.
    His vision and awareness second to none.

And he can tackle too.

Proper engine room player. Does the grunt work. Makes thing happen. 
    When some people were busy slagging him off last season, I'd post a different perspective. I'm his number 1 fan. :smile:

This one wins the prize though 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The quality of passing with him and Shinnie in the middle... the rest of League One aren't ready for it.
    You've all made me do it. You've all made me go back through this thread
    You must live a crazy life.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    what a pillock 
  • Options
    A two way street surely?
    I agree, I honestly couldn't care less if a player who is absolutely leaving who everyone was quite happy to see farmed out on loan doesn't like us much either so I wasn't at all bothered by that video. I thought it was stupid of him but I also used to watch him run footballs into opposition players' shins every game so I already didn't have him as a future rocket scientist. What really annoyed me about Gilbey is he seemed like he should be a good player. He did well for MK Dons, he started well and then came back poorly, but I was really rooting for him. I cut him so much slack and I was happy when he started looking better under Adkins. I gave him more leeway when it turned out he'd suffered badly from Covid and when he talked about his internal struggles while with us but in the end he was just bad for us in three different stretches under three different managers. He's a good League Two player and a bad League One player. Good luck to him at that level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the memories Alex.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The video was irrelevant - the hard part was how bad he was when he was here and having to read so many posts talking about his potential and the often touted “There’s a player in there” line 

Alex Gilbey was a strange player as he had the second highest average scores on the door in the home match against Ipswich where he was excellent and the second lowest scores in a match where only Charlie Kirk got a lower average in the 21/22 season.

I always felt there was a problem between his ears which was highlighted with the idiotic two yellow cards with the pull back of the shirt when there was absolutely no need to commit a foul yet alone to get mandatory Yellow cards. 

Gone and soon to be Forgotten.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Meh. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
    TBF he’s one of a long list of ‘looked great for another team, but weirdly didn’t do it for us’ players in our ‘lower leagues’ years 
    Yes, we seem to have had loads of midfielders like this that show flashes of ability but just seem too inconsistent or lightweight and just fizzle out. Gilbey had some good days but like so many others not enough of them.
  • Options
    League Two his level then... Surprised he didnt sign something more permanent @ Stevenage
  • Options
    Stevenage fans seem desperate for him to stay

Really hope he goes back there next year, will be great to see them turn on him when they realise League 2 was his level and wonder why he is struggling in league 1 🤣🤣
    Seems like even he knew he would struggle back in league 1 😉
  • Options
    So he left MK Dons having barely survived in L1 with the season curtailed due to Covid and three years later he's back at MK Dons but in L2. Cool progression Gilbs.
  • Options
    Dondeal  :smile:

A sensible move for him, but it rather shows his level at the moment
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    We bought this guy to get promoted from League One and he's not even good enough to play in League One.