Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    League Two his level then... Surprised he didnt sign something more permanent @ Stevenage
    Got the impression he wasn’t very mentally strong whilst playing for us. Always remember him going hiding when things got difficult. Probably prefers playing in a winner team in league 2, then a struggling team in league 1.
  • Options
    moved to MK Dons on a free .. Alexander's first signing
  • Options
    moved to MK Dons on a free .. Alexander's first signing
    EDIT .. already mentioned up the page !!
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Wonder if we’ll make a move for him after he wins player of the year again at MK?
  • Options
    That's a kick in the teeth for Stevenage. Oh well never mind.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We bought this guy to get promoted from League One and he's not even good enough to play in League One. 
    Didn't we buy him because we were under an embargo and he is all we could get?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We bought this guy to get promoted from League One and he's not even good enough to play in League One. 
    Didn't we buy him because we were under an embargo and he is all we could get?
    We were allowed to sign a couple of players, Washington being the other one. I don’t think it mattered to the FA/EFL who they were.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    He looks like a footballer, I'll give him that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    That statement could easily apply to most of our signings over the last two seasons.

We very much still have players on our books that fit this.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Except he turned down Lincoln last seasons when we tried to shift him there and turned down Stevenage to resign for MK Dons.

Is he good enough for promotion from League 1? No, is he good enough to play on league 1? Yes.  He was a starter in a bang average league 1 team, which suggests he is a bang average league 1 player. 

• Options
    Deserve each other 🙄
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Except he turned down Lincoln last seasons when we tried to shift him there and turned down Stevenage to resign for MK Dons.

Is he good enough for promotion from League 1? No, is he good enough to play on league 1? Yes.  He was a starter in a bang average league 1 team, which suggests he is a bang average league 1 player. 

It’s difficult to say.  In his first season there they got relegated from league one, he had that good season winning their player of the year when they got promoted from league two.  He played a lot in the following season and got his move to us after that.  I know Covid hit him hard so this is all a bit hypothetical, but he wasn’t a success and we moved him on and in the end, he ends up in League 2 at the age of 27, the prime of his career.  

I take your point about interest from Lincoln, but I think he’s a poor league one player and will look back on a career mostly in league 2, because he just wasn’t good enough/bang average enough 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

If he's genuinely good enough to play in league 1 then why isn't he? Probably because deep down he doesn't think he is, so he takes the easy route of going back to where he is loved, and in League 2. 

A player seeking creature comforts isn't what we need, and not what you build success on
  • Options
    That's a kick in the teeth for Stevenage. Oh well never mind.
    Haha good. Mugs.
  • Options
    Pleased to see him leave .  It would be nice to see  DJ , Kirk and Lavelle join him out the exit door.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

If he's genuinely good enough to play in league 1 then why isn't he? Probably because deep down he doesn't think he is, so he takes the easy route of going back to where he is loved, and in League 2. 

A player seeking creature comforts isn't what we need, and not what you build success on
    Because, no disrespect, you looking at it from your arm chair and would give your right arm to have a shot at league 1.

He isn't going to play in the Premier league.  He isn't going to play for England.  He isn't even going to go to Lyle Taylor's "big school".  He will know that.

If you take the biggish 8 clubs out of league 1 your probably looking at the same(ish) money from mid table league 1 to most of league 2.

Would you move half way across the country for a slightly better job, that doesn't improve your future employment prospects, for slightly more money?

Or would you look for a job you like, live where you live and be happy for "enough" money?
  • Options
    You are aware that Stevanage, who he apparently turned down, and Milton Keynes are all of 30 miles apart right? And Gilbey is originally from Pseudo-Essex (Dagenham) and Stevanage is closer to that part of the world than MK is. Hell if he lives further up like Chelmsford he's virtually driving through Stevanage to get to MK 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    You are aware that Stevanage, who he apparently turned down, and Milton Keynes are all of 30 miles apart right? And Gilbey is originally from Pseudo-Essex (Dagenham) and Stevanage is closer to that part of the world than MK is. Hell if he lives further up like Chelmsford he's virtually driving through Stevanage to get to MK 
    Yes and I never said location was everything did I?  Like you said its only about half an hours drive.  I never suggested he wanted to walk to work.

All things considered he chose to sign for MK Dons.  For reasons I think a reasonable person could understand.  Would it have made him a better footballer in your eyes if he had signed for Stevenage instead?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    Yes and I never said location was everything did I?  Like you said its only about half an hours drive.  I never suggested he wanted to walk to work.

All things considered he chose to sign for MK Dons.  For reasons I think a reasonable person could understand.  Would it have made him a better footballer in your eyes if he had signed for Stevenage instead?
    You literally mentioned moving halfway across the country, I point out its not, then you said location isn't everything?! What's the message here?

The point is he's supposedly turned down two league 1 clubs to sign for a club he used to play for, in League 2. I think he's a dog shit footballer regardless of where he signs, but my point is he clearly doesn't have the drive in himself to better himself and push himself which means not only is he weak technically, he's also weak mentally. This doesn't add up to what you're saying about how he's a league 1 footballer
  • Options
    Of course he chose league 2. He wants to be the main man and doesn’t have the heart for a challenge. Blokes a shithouse.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:

You literally mentioned moving halfway across the country, I point out its not, then you said location isn't everything?! What's the message here?

The point is he's supposedly turned down two league 1 clubs to sign for a club he used to play for, in League 2. I think he's a dog shit footballer regardless of where he signs, but my point is he clearly doesn't have the drive in himself to better himself and push himself which means not only is he weak technically, he's also weak mentally. This doesn't add up to what you're saying about how he's a league 1 footballer
    But how would signing for Stevenage drive himself to better himself?  A year of driving himself is suddenly going to make him Steven Gerrard?  Is it beyond the impossible that MK Dons actually offered him more money?  Its not like he turned down Man City to play for Welling.

If he was 20 and turned down more money at MK Dons to sign for Carlisle, to better himself, I could see the argument.  

At 27 he is probably at the position most "normal" people find themselves at 47, what's the point of taking a "better" job on similar money?  When at 27 you could see the "development opportunity".  
  • Options
    Maybe he likes L2 promotion medals! MK Dons must be strong favourites for promotion surely, up there with Wrexham.
  • Options
    Of course he chose league 2. He wants to be the main man and doesn’t have the heart for a challenge. Blokes a shithouse.
    This with bells on.

although, I'm a years time, I think it's likely that Stevenage will be back in l2 and Milton Keynes back in l1
  • Options
    It pretty much summed up the kind of bloke he is when he got that red on purpose so he didn’t have to play Wimbledon the next week. 

No one will change my mind that he didn’t squeak out of that game. 
  • Options
    A waste of time and energy disliking ex players.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    It pretty much summed up the kind of bloke he is when he got that red on purpose so he didn’t have to play Wimbledon the next week. 

No one will change my mind that he didn’t squeak out of that game. 
    The only opposing argument could be if he has the mental bandwidth to work that out.
  • Options
    I see his comments on returning to MK Dons  ( I’ve got unfinished business). Pretty sure Bonne used the same quote on his return to Charlton. That went well.