Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    Stoopid question alert.

What are the chances of catching the rona if you inhale the smoke of a vaper and the vaper was covid positive?

Hoping it's no chance after I caught a massive cloud of it yesterday while walking through leicester square.
  • Options
    Stoopid question alert.

What are the chances of catching the rona if you inhale the smoke of a vaper and the vaper was covid positive?

Hoping it's no chance after I caught a massive cloud of it yesterday while walking through leicester square.
    Not a stupid question at all, and it seems there is now clear answer. A quick google led to no clear answer from a reputable source.

The Daily Mail had quotes from a scientist who claimed it was only a risk if the vaper coughed at the same time as exhaling their cloud, whilst the Express had a a scientist who claimed you were at risk if you could smell the vape. So that's both ends of the possibility spectrum covered. As a complete layman the Mail stance sounds stupid. The smoke was in their lungs and is no potentially in yours, I can't see what difference coughing would make, except to add more mucus to the mix.

Assuming the person was infected, I'm not sure if the vape smoke carries any more infection risk or over a great distance, but it certainly makes visible what they're exhaling. It could be it doesn't add much risk, but you're just seeing what every unmasked person exhales.
  • Options
    Bluewater yesterday, probably about 80% or more wearing masks, but pretty much most asians i saw didn't have masks. I dont really get it, also there was still the odd other person walking around with no mask but it doesn't appear to be policed, it wasn't that busy but still i thought they would do better. 
  • Options
    Stoopid question alert.

Not a stupid question at all, and it seems there is now clear answer. A quick google led to no clear answer from a reputable source.

The Daily Mail had quotes from a scientist who claimed it was only a risk if the vaper coughed at the same time as exhaling their cloud, whilst the Express had a a scientist who claimed you were at risk if you could smell the vape. So that's both ends of the possibility spectrum covered. As a complete layman the Mail stance sounds stupid. The smoke was in their lungs and is no potentially in yours, I can't see what difference coughing would make, except to add more mucus to the mix.

Assuming the person was infected, I'm not sure if the vape smoke carries any more infection risk or over a great distance, but it certainly makes visible what they're exhaling. It could be it doesn't add much risk, but you're just seeing what every unmasked person exhales.
    I actually thought the same, surely just breathing out carries the same risk it's just because you can see the cloud of vape and you can't necessarily see breathing out normally.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I’m upstairs on a bus in Eltham, there are 14 people of whom 4 have masks on.
  • Options
    If I got on a train or bus and there were no mask wearers I would make a very loud pretend phone call describing my circumstances, and I would be very loudly abusive about non mask wearers calling them wankers, but slightly modifying my pretend call by acknowledging a small minority are exempt. 
    Not in any way helpful, but a good way to express and reduce personal frustration.

• Options

• Options
    If I was upstairs on a bus surrounded by people not wearing a mask, I'd be tempted to make a pretend call

"Yes I'm off to the testing centre, feeling sweaty and bit of a cough.....yes a fair chance I've got it"
    That would work better and nobody would want to get close enough to you to give you a black eye or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where has this phrase "the rona" come from?
    Cant stand it.
  • Options
    Cant stand it.
    Don't know if he started it, but Johnnie Vaughan on Radio X is forever going on about it.
  • Options
    Stoopid question alert.

Were you wearing a mask?

• Options
    Cant stand it.
    Only a couple of people use it. Attention seeking, perhaps?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Cant stand it.
    Ive heard it a lot the last week or so, more than a couple of people. Just wondered where it started. 
  • Options
    When did people start saying 'flu' instead of 'influenza'?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Good question
  • Options
    Cant stand it.
    Agreed, ridiculous phrase 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Stoopid question alert.

Were you wearing a mask?

No. Breathed in a pretty big chunk of it too. Mind you, it did smell nice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    About 50% of shoppers in Lewisham lidl without masks this morning.
    Doubt I will go back there.
    You should go to Lewisham Waitrose, you won't have a problem there :smile:
    These type of observations (time & time again) prove Covid in poorer areas isn't just about too many people living in the same properties or having to use public transport.
    It's also about respect for others, being a decent person etc etc.
    I don't know where the Lewisham Waitrose is. The nearest I can think of is in Beckenham Junction.
    Sorry Seth it was a light hearted quip, which is why I put a smiley face.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Cant stand it.
    First noticed it being used by a poster on here, way back in March/April
    seth plum said:
    But I really can't remember who it was  ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    About 50% of shoppers in Lewisham lidl without masks this morning.
    Doubt I will go back there.
    You should go to Lewisham Waitrose, you won't have a problem there :smile:
    These type of observations (time & time again) prove Covid in poorer areas isn't just about too many people living in the same properties or having to use public transport.
    It's also about respect for others, being a decent person etc etc.
    I don't know where the Lewisham Waitrose is. The nearest I can think of is in Beckenham Junction.
    Sorry Seth it was a light hearted quip, which is why I put a smiley face.
    Oh OK.
    I was hoping there was a Waitrose I didn't know about nearby. Their level 6 vegetarian cheese is pretty good and doesn't crumble into an unmanageable mess.
  • Options
    At Bluewater earlier, virtually everyone wearing a mask. 
  • Options
    A lot of chin wearers on my train tonight and a fair few without them even on.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Is it that hard.
    Our doctors have our records.
    Everyone wears a mask or you dont get in the shops those that are exempt they get a proper certificate off the doctor not some Mickey mouse one anyone can knock up on the internet 
    I think that's fine in principle but the issue is that most of these people who don't wear masks are narcissistic scum who have never been told no in their life, or have quickly dealt with those who have said no. 

Now tell the poor chap (or chapess) on minimum wage it's their job to police that outside of a Lidl, Poundstretcher or Bargain Booze.

No thanks. 

Also, anything to do with asking people to prove that they are exempt will lead to lazy accusations by people who should know better that "they should all just have numbers tattooed on their forehead/wear badges right?"
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2020
    YTS1978 said:
    Just curious, what's the difference between sitting in a pub/restaurant without a mask, or walking round a shopping centre or sitting on a train? Shoppers/commuters seem to be criticized, but it's okay if you're having a pint with mates?
    Maybe the requirement to use your mouth to eat and drink in pubs and restaurants?

And the fact track and trace should be in those places as well to mitigate to an extent.