Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    I was literally the only person in my local corner shop wearing a mask yesterday. Biggest group I've seen not wearing are teenage girls who presumably don't want to smudge their makeup.

Was at Bluewater last week and I'd say 10-20% weren't wearing masks on the concourses (most seemed to wear them in actual shops). The majority of those not wearing were women aged 15-25 (approx)
  • Options
    First time in public transport today since lockdown began.

SE trains from Westcombe Park to Cannon Street, 10 people on carriage one young girl and her mum not wearing masks. Was going to ask why but they left at London Bridge before I motivated myself enough to get into an argument.

on the tube must have seen 600-800 people, there no masks, four occasionally masks on mouth and not in nose, all getting daggers from everyone else. 

People generally left a seat between groups, train not that busy though. 

Wasn’t expecting this but all non mask wearers were BAME.

Haven't seen a single white person not wearing a mask.

For balance everyone I have seen not wearing them has been white.  

Plenty of white chavy types not wearing masks around my neck of the woods. BTW that video looks like a compensation set up to me.

For balance the people I have seen on my train not wearing them have got off at Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells*
    which are far from chavy manors.

*although per my story about the one "getting off" on the train last week she was a bit rough to be fair.

• Options

'Two-thirds of new coronavirus infections in the UK are in the under-40s, while the rate among older people has fallen sharply in an 'extraordinary' shift.

The number of over-50s testing positive for Covid-19 now represents just a fifth of those nationwide, compared with three quarters in the spring.

Just three per cent are now made up of those over 80, down from 28 per cent six months ago, reported The Times.

The peak age range for infections is now in the 20s but for most of the pandemic it was in the 80s'

- My experience is that the majority of those not wearing masks are under 30, male and BAME (apparently with attitude) which could well be why the peak age for infections is what it is? All very well, as long if they are young enough etc to deal with the virus - I just hope as they then don't infect anyone else who isn't

• Options

'Two-thirds of new coronavirus infections in the UK are in the under-40s, while the rate among older people has fallen sharply in an 'extraordinary' shift.

The number of over-50s testing positive for Covid-19 now represents just a fifth of those nationwide, compared with three quarters in the spring.

Just three per cent are now made up of those over 80, down from 28 per cent six months ago, reported The Times.

The peak age range for infections is now in the 20s but for most of the pandemic it was in the 80s'

- My experience is that the majority of those not wearing masks are under 30, male and BAME (apparently with attitude) which could well be why the peak age for infections is what it is? All very well, as long if they are young enough etc to deal with the virus - I just hope as they then don't infect anyone else who isn't

I expect those of us over 50 are taking extra special care to adhere to the rules and protect ourselves as much as we can. 
  • Options
    In my limited experience, being three hours of public transport yesterday, nearly all the non mask wearers were Indian Asian (for the want of a better way of describing people of ancestry around the subcontinent). Less so black, but there was one mid-20s black woman on the tube where everyone else was wearing a mask but her and I had to ask her why.

’Excuse me for asking but I’m interested why when everyone else in the carriage has a face covering aren’t you wearing one? I just don’t understand.’

’Just leave me alone I’m tired’
  • Options
    In my limited experience, being three hours of public transport yesterday, nearly all the non mask wearers were Indian Asian (for the want of a better way of describing people of ancestry around the subcontinent). Less so black, but there was one mid-20s black woman on the tube where everyone else was wearing a mask but her and I had to ask her why.

’Excuse me for asking but I’m interested why when everyone else in the carriage has a face covering aren’t you wearing one? I just don’t understand.’

’Just leave me alone I’m tired’
    She'll be more tired if she gets covid or has to look after someone who does
  • Options
    I have decided to drive on the other side of the road at any speed which takes my fancy.  If people won't wear masks then the rest of us should break laws or rules we don't like.

Where is the harm in that I hear you say.
    Next time I go to an away match (whenever that is!) I might be even be tempted to stand up!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I was in Nottingham city centre a couple of weeks ago, and nipped into a tesco express for a hotel room supper. There were about twenty people in the shop, half white, half afro-caribbean. All the white people had a mask on except, oddly, the security bloke on the door, and none of the BAME people was wearing one, including a heavily pregnant woman. They were in two or three groups, aged from about 12 to 35 at a guess.
    Then coming back on the tube one evening last week, everyone ( of all races) masked up except four asian lads in their 20s who jumped on unmasked.

That said, was in a hardware shop last Saturday where a member of the shop staff politely challenged a middle aged white couple with a youngish boy as to why they werent wearing masks. The hatchet faced old harridan (who in my opinion should NEVER be allowed out without a mask, covid or no covid) responded aggressively with "I'm exempt! He's exempt! And so is he!" (suspect she may believe that exempt means "a selfish twat")

Impossible to say whether it's an age thing, a cultural thing, or totally unrepresentative. In my opinion, its just that some people are totally selfish and utterly inconsiderate to others.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly some of you need to listen to yourselves, your belittling of non mask wearers is shameful. 

I’ve yet to see any conclusive scientific evidence that wearing a piece of cloth over ones face prevents the spread of C19. 

When you can make a mask made out of anything to comply, a cut-up tshirt or a pair of boxer shorts, it is clear this isn’t about safety. It is about compliance.

Far more evidence that mask wearing does help to contain droplets which contain the virus. In my opinion ANYTHING which helps to reduce transmission from person to person is a good thing.
  • Options
    Honestly some of you need to listen to yourselves, your belittling of non mask wearers is shameful. 

I’ve yet to see any conclusive scientific evidence that wearing a piece of cloth over ones face prevents the spread of C19. 

When you can make a mask made out of anything to comply, a cut-up tshirt or a pair of boxer shorts, it is clear this isn’t about safety. It is about compliance.

Hahahha. My son has had COVID with a positive test, I’m pretty sure as I had some of the symptoms that despite testing negative for antibodies so have I. I am personally not at all concerned about catching COVID but yet still I wear a face mask on public transport and in shops. 

Why? 

Well because there is a huge amount of evidence that of everyone wears a mask in higher risk situations, I protect you, you protect me it currently helps. 

Will it be necessary in the medium term? I don’t think so as I think the virus will become less fatal. Not to wear a mask now in such situations marks you out as a twat.

And yes any face covering will stop the heavy moisture droplets which are now believed to be the main cause of transmission from going anywhere other than a few millimetres from an infected persons face. The fabric involved is not important, it’s a barrier to Pete t others. If you want to protect yourself buy an n95 mask. 

• Options

It absolutely is about safety. The point of face masks is to stop the spreading of airborne droplets. A pair of y fronts over your head covering your nose and mouth will have a positive effect on this. The important part of wearing a face mask is to stop you giving it to people rather than to stop you catching it. Because of this, everybody has to comply.
  • Options

Far more evidence that mask wearing does help to contain droplets which contain the virus. In my opinion ANYTHING which helps to reduce transmission from person to person is a good thing.
    You say anything ME14 
    Do you agree with the drive to get people to return to the office, even if those people can work effectively from home.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

You say anything ME14 
    Do you agree with the drive to get people to return to the office, even if those people can work effectively from home.
    I don't agree with the drive to get people back to offices, if they can work from home.
  • Options
    Residents of Singapore, South Korea, Japan, wear masks as a aresult of earlier infectious diseases.  Thre rates of infection are lower than ours. Wear a mask.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    A quick search on that site shows they are clearly anti mask. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About 50% of shoppers in Lewisham lidl without masks this morning.
    Doubt I will go back there.
  • Options
    I am driving to North Wales this week to visit my mother in her care home, for the first time since February. The care home has been very good and taken all precautions, so fortunately not lost any of their residents. Mum has in this time had a stroke, 2 weeks in hospital and 2 weeks self-isolating, plus regular covid tests. I will have to visit in the garden, temperature taken and maybe a mask. No problem I wear one where required.
    However, it is going to feel very odd if I go shopping as Wales does not require masks except on public transport. I had to look it up to double check I hadn't got it wrong! It seems crazy to have different rules when all the holiday makers there will have traveled from the north-west of England (many high risk areas). Luckily I don't mind standing out as the English woman wearing a mask!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You should go to Lewisham Waitrose, you won't have a problem there :smile:
    These type of observations (time & time again) prove Covid in poorer areas isn't just about too many people living in the same properties or having to use public transport.
    It's also about respect for others, being a decent person etc etc.
  • Options
    There are so many differences between the four nations that it is extremely difficult to remember what the rules are.

Last Thursday I had my first meal out since March. There were four of us, all from different households so my friend booked a table outside as we believed that only two households could meet up together indoors. When we got there we were put on a table inside, but as one of our party couldn't make it and the pub was empty at that time, we decided that we would sit inside.

We spaced ourselves out so that we had a reasonable gap between each of us and my friend sat at the end of our table. Just behind her there was a table for 2 and the waitress said that nobody had booked, but that if they had a walk-in, they might need to use the table. In the end nobody did sit there, but had the table been occupied, there wasn't even a metre between the tables and certainly no mitigation such as a screen.

The waitress wore a face shield, but they do not seem to be very safe, as the plates of food are carried directly underneath and her breath would be directed downwards onto the food.

I think it unlikely that I will eat out again, the risks are too great for me.

Apologies, but I can't recall you saying that you were vulnerable, apart from being over age 50 (I think), or is the vulnerability age alone?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    These type of observations (time & time again) prove Covid in poorer areas isn't just about too many people living in the same properties or having to use public transport.
    I think that's quite a wild generalisation. Just because someone is poor doesn't necessarily mean they don't have respect for others. Equally a rich person you wouldn't automatically say they respect all people?

There does seem to be a correlation between social class and mask use. What it is I'm not quite sure. Possibly anti government or authority feelings. As I said before if there are any social studies done on this it would be interesting to see the findings. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    seth plum said:
    This is my experience too. And part of the reasons behind me starting this thread to see if it was other's too. It is interesting and I'm not entirely sure why but does show something
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    seth plum said:
    I think that's quite a wild generalisation. Just because someone is poor doesn't necessarily mean they don't have respect for others. Equally a rich person you wouldn't automatically say they respect all people?

There does seem to be a correlation between social class and mask use. What it is I'm not quite sure. Possibly anti government or authority feelings. As I said before if there are any social studies done on this it would be interesting to see the findings. 
    Agree entirely.
    But there is for instance, a large consensus that shoppers in say Waitrose wear masks, more often than shoppers in say Lidl and I have shopped in both and generally shop in neither, so I'm not "taking sides" as it were.

But let's be honest it is something to do with class, for instance you get better behaviour and rule compliance at Rugby Union than you do at football and i was brought up on  a council estate (in case anyone thinks I'm a toff).