Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Sadly I’m turning into proper ‘mask watch’ hobby when I’m out.

Lakeside today and those with masks I’d say 85%, those wearing them actually over their mouths and nose 60%, and if any more than a small proportion of those without masks had underlying medical conditions then I’m Peter Crouch 
    In my judgemebtal conclusion jumping mind I put most if not all of the non mask wearers in the same category as people who don't put their rubbish in the bin at fast food places and leave their trollies in car parking spaces at the shops. Selfish underendowed pygmies

Seriously if you have a condition that means wearing a mask fucks with your breathing then you definitely shouldn't be at the shops right now. The other one I heard was claustrophobia when wearing a mask, and I'm going to sound really unwoke and callous here but again, probably a good idea to stay away from places where mask wearing is mandated. 

Lastly, my social media feed is livening up again with lots of my pals being out and about helping the bars and pubs of great Britain get back on track, loads of happy people with arms round each other cuddling and why not? Yet we can't be trusted to watch football or any sport outdoors 

Yet we can go out, prop the service industry up get as pissed as we want but can't go in a stadium. 

Still think people who stand at football matches is the best analogy for non-mask wearers. It's dangerous and against the rules. 

Anybody who has ever done that (including me) cannot really complain about mask etiquette. (or anything else really!)

• Options
    Carter said:

Lakeside today and those with masks I’d say 85%, those wearing them actually over their mouths and nose 60%, and if any more than a small proportion of those without masks had underlying medical conditions then I’m Peter Crouch 
    In my judgemebtal conclusion jumping mind I put most if not all of the non mask wearers in the same category as people who don't put their rubbish in the bin at fast food places and leave their trollies in car parking spaces at the shops. Selfish underendowed pygmies

Seriously if you have a condition that means wearing a mask fucks with your breathing then you definitely shouldn't be at the shops right now. The other one I heard was claustrophobia when wearing a mask, and I'm going to sound really unwoke and callous here but again, probably a good idea to stay away from places where mask wearing is mandated. 

Lastly, my social media feed is livening up again with lots of my pals being out and about helping the bars and pubs of great Britain get back on track, loads of happy people with arms round each other cuddling and why not? Yet we can't be trusted to watch football or any sport outdoors 

Yet we can go out, prop the service industry up get as pissed as we want but can't go in a stadium. 

Still think people who stand at football matches is the best analogy for non-mask wearers. It's dangerous and against the rules. 

Anybody who has ever done that (including me) cannot really complain about mask etiquette. (or anything else really!)

I see where you are going but I disagree, standing where me and my pals are in the North Upper towards the back is fine, everyone behind us stands and its accepted that where we are everyone stands. If I was standing up in almost any other area of the ground then yeah your analogy is spot on. 

What always made me either laugh or sigh at busy away grounds is Id always look to get as far to the back of the stand as possible to stand and do so without starting an argument and the number of times I'd offer to swap with people so they could sit and I could stand to get a funny response like 'but this is my seat'. Thats been done to death though on here and I probably shouldn't have lit the match 
  • Options
    Fully agree with you about standing! Trouble is that we all pick the rules we think it's right to disregard.

People without masks would probably offer to move to a "no mask" coach if there were one. I know that isn't the point but that is how they see it.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think the question about agreeing with the drive to get people back to offices should be phrased differently. It should be phrased as do you think it is wise? I can see why we need more people contributing to the infrastructure that makes our cities work but a big spike in infections will probably do more harm than good also.

It may be that it is wise in some areas and not in others depending on rates of infection. I have lost a lot of confidence in the wise course being the one we ultimately follow. I think a good way to get more people back to offices would be to build testing regimes around offices. But testing is something that we have consistently seemed to lag behind the curve on. 

With a vaccine looking a long way away, I am dismayed at ours and others lack of looking at solutions that allow the economy to recover. Technology has to be a major tool surely. It also bothers me that too many are resistant to any temporary restrictions of their freedoms as if this virus is not an unprecedented disaster in the same way a major war is.    
  • Options
    A quick but expensive solution to a lot of stuff is the 1 hour testing. That would allow a lot of things such as events to reopen and bring in the money that goes with opening. For football for arguments sake, we would all have to queue up at least an hour before the game, get swabbed then go and stand somewhere and get a text message with a test result. Negative would give you a QR code to scan and get in, positive means you get your arse outta there. 

Same with offices I guess, and the cost and logistics of that would be so restrictive that firms would happily keep their staff at home and working. 

Doesn't mean that matey who got the positive result outside the valley didn't get on a crowded train to get up there of course which opens up another can of worms 
  • Options
    I think the question about agreeing with the drive to get people back to offices should be phrased differently. It should be phrased as do you think it is wise? I can see why we need more people contributing to the infrastructure that makes our cities work but a big spike in infections will probably do more harm than good also.

It may be that it is wise in some areas and not in others depending on rates of infection. I have lost a lot of confidence in the wise course being the one we ultimately follow. I think a good way to get more people back to offices would be to build testing regimes around offices. But testing is something that we have consistently seemed to lag behind the curve on. 

With a vaccine looking a long way away, I am dismayed at ours and others lack of looking at solutions that allow the economy to recover. Technology has to be a major tool surely. It also bothers me that too many are resistant to any temporary restrictions of their freedoms as if this virus is not an unprecedented disaster in the same way a major war is.    

• Options
    edited September 2020
    There are so many differences between the four nations that it is extremely difficult to remember what the rules are.

Last Thursday I had my first meal out since March. There were four of us, all from different households so my friend booked a table outside as we believed that only two households could meet up together indoors. When we got there we were put on a table inside, but as one of our party couldn't make it and the pub was empty at that time, we decided that we would sit inside.

We spaced ourselves out so that we had a reasonable gap between each of us and my friend sat at the end of our table. Just behind her there was a table for 2 and the waitress said that nobody had booked, but that if they had a walk-in, they might need to use the table. In the end nobody did sit there, but had the table been occupied, there wasn't even a metre between the tables and certainly no mitigation such as a screen.

The waitress wore a face shield, but they do not seem to be very safe, as the plates of food are carried directly underneath and her breath would be directed downwards onto the food.

I think it unlikely that I will eat out again, the risks are too great for me.

Apologies, but I can't recall you saying that you were vulnerable, apart from being over age 50 (I think), or is the vulnerability age alone?
    I wasn't aware that disclosing my medical history was a requirement on Charlton life.
    Or anywhere else.

Exemption cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

I am fully aware from reading the thread that you favour wearing a mask @ME14addick and that is of course your right and prerogative.

As you can see the same right and principle applies to those who are unable to wear a mask for whatever reason too.

I have found this thread quite enlightening for the double standards that have been expressed and the response, or lack thereof, to them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again this has become a political pandemic.

• Options
    You do see far more low income types not wearing masks. I'm sure it's down to the same psychological reasons that so many poorer people still smoke cigarettes.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    About 50% of shoppers in Lewisham lidl without masks this morning.
    Doubt I will go back there.
    You should go to Lewisham Waitrose, you won't have a problem there :smile:
    These type of observations (time & time again) prove Covid in poorer areas isn't just about too many people living in the same properties or having to use public transport.
    It's also about respect for others, being a decent person etc etc.
    I don't know where the Lewisham Waitrose is. The nearest I can think of is in Beckenham Junction.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm on my 5th train of the day and would argue that if all the people I've seen today were counted - 95% of them would have been wearing face coverings and wearing them the correct way. 

• Options
    Should be 100%
  • Options
    Should be 100%
    It should be indeed. But without keeping up with this thread and what people's current trending views are - I just wanted to mention that in my experience it would appear the vast majority of people are still wearing face coverings. 

Of course someone has just got on the train, no face covering shouting down the phone to her friend about something uninteresting. 

God I love public transport. 
  • Options
    The problem is that the face coverings people wear, are not medical face coverings. This is good, we need those for hospitals and care homes. But these non medical face coverings, and that can include a football scarf or your underpants are effective in preventing the spreading of droplets. They are an effective way of stopping you spreading the virus, not catching it. For that reason, choice shouldn't be a factor at all. I can choose to try not to spread it but somebody else can chose not to try. Fcuk them, every one of them. Many of us know people who have suffered and died through this virus so I say fcuk them again.
  • Options
    The problem is that the face coverings people wear, are not medical face coverings. This is good, we need those for hospitals and care homes. But these non medical face coverings, and that can include a football scarf or your underpants are effective in preventing the spreading of droplets. They are an effective way of stopping you spreading the virus, not catching it. For that reason, choice shouldn't be a factor at all. I can choose to try not to spread it but somebody else can chose not to try. Fcuk them, every one of them. Many of us know people who have suffered and died through this virus so I say fcuk them again.
    Thats fair enough if you stick 100% to all the guidelines.
  • Options
    I do to the best of my understanding of them. But I think if people want to break them with others who also are happy to that is a lesser crime than people who impose the risks on people that don't wish them imposed on them.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Not sure that's a very good analogy, as people voluntarily standing at the back BEHIND those who want to sit aren't causing the seated people any problem

If anything smoking in the bogs is a better analogy to not wearing a mask, as not only is it affecting your health, it's affecting other people as well
  • Options
    Carter said:

But those groups of people cuddling each other in bars are breaking the official guidelines, which still restrict you to 2 households and say you should not "hold or attend celebrations (such as parties) where it is difficult to maintain social distancing and avoid close social interaction – even if they are organised by businesses and venues that are taking steps to follow COVID-19 Secure guidelines"

Those venues should be controlling the groups better, or failing that be shut down by the authorities for not following the rules, something which has happened, though not very often
  • Options
    Yeah they probably should be but they also have margins to make and bills to pay. I don't think its right, it makes me feel uncomfortable but I know how the world works and people earning sod all who need a job in a bar have skin in the game of not jeopardising their income by booting people out or asking a group of pissheads to stop hugging each other and being given a load of aggro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny that.
    A few hours before caerphilly goes into lockdown England puts 7 greek islands on the quarantine list.
    Anyway with the lockdown believed to be mainly to do with holidays in the greek islands should we now shut down our airports?
    I ask because a couple of people have told me there's no social distancing on the planes.
    Also because ever since weve opened up its been nothing but trouble.

• Options
    Two people on my train this morning wearing masks that might as well not have bothered, one was wearing it on his chin and the only covering her mouth and not her nose 
    More bellends keeping their chins warm today on the train 
  • Options
    I hate wearing them, as a speccy four eyes I’m constantly steaming up and it’s also ruining my enjoyment of having egg for brekkie when you beltch it up an hour later with your mask on.

And I doubt they do much good to be honest.

But I wear them where I have to. My reasoning is that it’s the little tiny bit I can do to show a bit of togetherness solidarity. That I’m making a bit of effort that might help increase the protection of someone else and slow down the spread of this pandemic by even the most smallest of percentages. 

And it massively f***s me off when I see selfish arseholes that clearly don’t think like that.

There’s zero point challenging them, they won’t change their stance, many seem imo actually looking to be challenged and it will just rile you more.

But I wish if we were going to do this we were doing it properly from the top down and implementing much tighter rules and regs around it. It will only be for a few months FFS
    100% this

ive noticed a couple of people over the last week getting on the train with no mask and look at everyone smirking almost inviting someone to comment 
  • Options
    We've had a problem with enforcing compliance of Government Coronavirus rules right from the start of the pandemic. It has got worse as time has gone on and the upturn in cases is as a result of complacency.

We are ALL in this together and it requires EVERYONE to play their part in reducing transmission. 
  • Options
    I was in Halfords in Sevenoaks yesterday, everyone else was wearing masks until 2 young workmen walked in without masks, talking loudly about idiots in masks! Probably in their early 20's.
  • Options

I have no idea why some people can't understand why wearing a mask is effective.

The above did make me a bit sceptical about the visors that restaurant staff tend to use though
    I too worry about the visors in restaurants as they seem to direct the breath downwards onto the plates of food.
  • Options
    I hate wearing them, as a speccy four eyes I’m constantly steaming up and it’s also ruining my enjoyment of having egg for brekkie when you beltch it up an hour later with your mask on.

And I doubt they do much good to be honest.

But I wear them where I have to. My reasoning is that it’s the little tiny bit I can do to show a bit of togetherness solidarity. That I’m making a bit of effort that might help increase the protection of someone else and slow down the spread of this pandemic by even the most smallest of percentages. 

And it massively f***s me off when I see selfish arseholes that clearly don’t think like that.

There’s zero point challenging them, they won’t change their stance, many seem imo actually looking to be challenged and it will just rile you more.

But I wish if we were going to do this we were doing it properly from the top down and implementing much tighter rules and regs around it. It will only be for a few months FFS
    Government would have to amend the Equality Act 2010 for this to happen. With that act on the books its illegal to challenge anyone after they say their exempt.