Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Looked a different side when he was replaced by Morgan.
    That's because Morgan is right footed and we didn't need a player cutting in last night. We needed crosses into the box. 

Personally would have moved Maddison to LM he could hardly have been any worse than Gilbey there and taken Gilbey off for Morgan. 

Feel like Morgan provided better balls into the box, more direct threat and more team-work both defensively and offensively.

I was all for Maddison at first, hoping he'd be a real terror for defenses, but having watched all ~120 minutes of Maddison in the last 2 league games haven't been impressed. I know he's probably not fully sharp yet but in November he's had about 250 minutes, must be pretty close to full fitness? Feel like what's going wrong isn't a matter of being sharp, more his play style in general - holding the ball too long, not looking for or playing passes that could lead to a more effective attack, not doing his defensive work.

Hope i'm wrong and turns into what I think we all want him to be but at the moment personally wouldn't have him as any more than a sub for last 30 minutes.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Two glaring issues with Maddison in my book. Not both necessarily his fault , but issues all the same.

The first is the nature of his game. He seems to be most effective ( not for us yet I hasten to add) when he is allowed to roam free and find pockets of space in dangerous attacking areas and does his damage when he picks up the ball in those areas.
     That requires a fair bit of 'carrying' from other members in especially midfield and up top to chase back and cover whilst he is on the wander. I think that's one of the reasons Bogle was removed early. But as a whole, the side last night was unable to do much of the leg work. Remember the rest of the midfield were having to do extra work to try and protect a poor central defence pairing.

Whilst the first issue is not wholly Maddison's fault the second is. When he did manage to find one of those pockets his movement and distribution was woeful. He lost the ball on far too many occasions and when he tried to beat a man there was nothing in the tank. I know he's been injured, but when you see pictures of empty pizza boxes and mention of cheat days, you know this fella is going to have to make some monumental changes to his attitude to be an effective asset for this current side.
    Is he up to that? The jury's out for me.
    I'm a big fan of him however when he was subbed he went straight down the tunnel rather than stay and watch with his team mates - that's bad form in my opinion.  Win together, lose together.
    Fitness, rustiness, are forgivable certainly.
    Flouncing down the tunnel when you get subbed is the mark of a fuckwit narcissist.
  • Options
    And exactly how do you know he 'flounced'?

I noticed their subs did the same, were they flouncing?
  • Options
    Doesn’t work back and cover enough for me, really can’t see what people see in him.

Bowyers teams always work their socks off, he doesn’t seem to fit that Bill.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Two glaring issues with Maddison in my book. Not both necessarily his fault , but issues all the same.

The first is the nature of his game. He seems to be most effective ( not for us yet I hasten to add) when he is allowed to roam free and find pockets of space in dangerous attacking areas and does his damage when he picks up the ball in those areas.
     That requires a fair bit of 'carrying' from other members in especially midfield and up top to chase back and cover whilst he is on the wander. I think that's one of the reasons Bogle was removed early. But as a whole, the side last night was unable to do much of the leg work. Remember the rest of the midfield were having to do extra work to try and protect a poor central defence pairing.

Whilst the first issue is not wholly Maddison's fault the second is. When he did manage to find one of those pockets his movement and distribution was woeful. He lost the ball on far too many occasions and when he tried to beat a man there was nothing in the tank. I know he's been injured, but when you see pictures of empty pizza boxes and mention of cheat days, you know this fella is going to have to make some monumental changes to his attitude to be an effective asset for this current side.
    Is he up to that? The jury's out for me.
    I'm a big fan of him however when he was subbed he went straight down the tunnel rather than stay and watch with his team mates - that's bad form in my opinion.  Win together, lose together.
    Fitness, rustiness, are forgivable certainly.
    Flouncing down the tunnel when you get subbed is the mark of a fuckwit narcissist.
    We knew of his attitude when we signed him. He's a maverick player stuck in L1.
  • Options
    He wasn't the only one miles off it last night playing alongside 3 midfielders that want to take the ball off the centre back leaves very little options ahead once you do have the ball.

• Options
    While I thought he was poor last night, in his defence a couple of his crosses into the box (where he cuts in from the right and puts them in with his left) would have been dangerous if we had a striker anticipating them and running on to the ball. Ivan Toney would have made that run, partially because he's a better player, but also because he and Maddison know each other's game
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He shook the player's hand replacing him. Walked straight, not across to dive into the tunnel. I feel narratives are being made up a bit!
    mendonca said:
    He shook the player's hand replacing him. Walked straight, not across to dive into the tunnel. I feel narratives are being made up a bit!
    He shook the players hand.  Didn’t go to Bowyer, Who admittedly didn’t even glance at him, and looked at the bench but then turned and walked the other way past the Burton dugout.  If the rest of the team were sat in the stand they would’ve been the other side of Bowyer so it certainly looks as though he went straight to the tunnel
  • Options
    It’s good to discuss MM’s progress and performances, but hanging our hats on him alone to get us out of this division is just plain wrong, we need more from MM, and we also need more from the rest of the team, whether that’s what we’ve currently got, or bringing in players in January.

Thomas isn’t going to want to hang around in this division, will be interesting to see what January brings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think anybody is hanging their hats solely on MM.

However, we know he has the skills and ability - his record speaks volumes - and you can't blame fans for hoping he replicates those levels with us.

I'm still convinced he will.
  • Options
    It’s good to discuss MM’s progress and performances, but hanging our hats on him alone to get us out of this division is just plain wrong, we need more from MM, and we also need more from the rest of the team, whether that’s what we’ve currently got, or bringing in players in January.

Thomas isn’t going to want to hang around in this division, will be interesting to see what January brings.
    MM has ability but is he destined to be one of those players who doesn't fulfil his potential?
  • Options
    Can I check who's the whipping boy for the season, Maddison or Bogle? 

As for going down the tunnel, might be better for social distancing reasons that he went straight to the changing rooms
  • Options
    I'm convinced 90% of people want him to fail.... the other 10 players that started yesterday were also terrible
  • Options
    I'm convinced 90% of people want him to fail.... the other 10 players that started yesterday were also terrible
    I'd love him to do well and to reach his potential.
  • Options
    Yeah its fair enough, i'm not saying for a second he shouldn't come in for criticism, but some of the stuff he gets picked out for is laughable. He didn't play well yesterday but he at least tried to make things happen
  • Options
    Yeah its fair enough, i'm not saying for a second he shouldn't come in for criticism, but some of the stuff he gets picked out for is laughable. He didn't play well yesterday but he at least tried to make things happen
    He is for me the most gifted player in the side and undoubtedly will be a bit hit and miss given his style of play.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    People don't want him to fail. They want him to perform his highlights reel of copious assists and bangers, but in each game. If he fails to recreate his highlights reel, then they will deem him a failure.
  • Options
    I don’t think he’s good as an inverted winger . As soon as he gets the ball , his first instinct is to get it onto his left foot and come inside and defenders know that . I’d much rather see him on the left wing putting crosses in with his left foot , which he can’t do on the right wing as he has no right foot. 
    I definitely think he will come good but only if he’s used properly. 
    That's where many of Maddison's goals come from, as an inverted winger cutting inside and shooting with his preferred foot.

Now if he should be played as a winger on his natural left side, we might see more pinpoint crossing.

Right now we've seen neither. The guy is clearly not yet up to speed - and until then, perhaps should be used from the bench as an impact sub.
    With 5 subs allowed, we have that luxury now.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    I don’t think he’s good as an inverted winger . As soon as he gets the ball , his first instinct is to get it onto his left foot and come inside and defenders know that . I’d much rather see him on the left wing putting crosses in with his left foot , which he can’t do on the right wing as he has no right foot. 
    That's where many of Maddison's goals come from, as an inverted winger cutting inside and shooting with his preferred foot.

Now if he should be played as a winger on his natural left side, we might see more pinpoint crossing.

Right now we've seen neither. The guy is clearly not yet up to speed - and until then, perhaps should be used from the bench as an impact sub.
    With 5 subs allowed, we have that luxury now.

I've seen both from him in the two cup games prior to the break
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This.

Also I think he was pretty pissed off at himself when he went off. He's a good player and it must be frustrating when you can't do what normally comes easily. 
    Wrap up warm and be pissed off at yourself in the stand with the rest of the players. Teams win promotions, not individuals. 
    Do we know he didn't return from the changing rooms? Maybe he went to get his coat to wrap up warm?

Probably brought back everybody on the bench a cup of tea.
  • Options

Likely to not sod around till midnight on transfer deadline day either.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Agree totally. I was really against signing him because of his attitude but think he is trying to improve both his on and off field performances. All the players that started the game on Tuesday were rubbish, why single him out?
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Agree totally. I was really against signing him because of his attitude but think he is trying to improve both his on and off field performances. All the players that started the game on Tuesday were rubbish do why single him out?
    Anyone who's ever played at any competitive level, will know how difficult it is to play well yourself if too many others in the team are not performing.

• Options
    Maddison our creative midfielder, was on for 58 minutes and only passed the ball 12 times and out of that only 5 was successful and 3 of them was backwards. Says it all
  • Options
    No punches pulled by Bowyer in the press. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    No punches pulled by Bowyer in the press. 
    Whose he hit?
  • Options
    3am - MM out getting grub according to insta 🤣