Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    If I only knew there were so many psychologist on here, would have saved me a fortune when looking for one in the past 
    He’s said it himself that he’s struggled mentally. You don’t have to be a psychologist to have enough human empathy to recognise when someone’s finding life difficult. 

When someone with a history of mental health issues is singing “Smile Like You Mean It” at 3am, with the caption “smile through the pain”, there are major red flags. 

There’s really no need to be so snide at people’s legitimate concerns.
    Well said.  
  • Options
    I think he’s just really thick.  I’ll wager he’ll be gone in January.  Bowyer binned Fosu, who didn’t do a huge amount wrong, and is now playing regularly in the championship; if this guy were that good, he wouldn’t have been at Peterborough for so long.

Fair play to LB for trying to crack him ; I hope I’m wrong and that he becomes a club legend. 

• Options
    I accept it will probably be 50/50 if Marcus comes off for Cafc but having been a flag waver for him since he was at Gateshead as a left winger I have to stick with him.
    He is a C+D winner in this division BUT the relationship with Bowyer will have to work for MM to have a successful stay at the valley.

At 27 he should have a lot more to come ?
    He could be our X factor player or our dud.

For Cafc sake I hope it's the former.
  • Options
    I forgot he was on the bench yesterday. At no point would've I thought what we need is a bit of Marcus Maddison.
    He is supposed to be a footballer benefiting the whole team and the club.
  • Options
    I assume from his tweets that he isn't still with the mother of his child? Having a stable relationship and a family is a big plus for a footballer living away from his roots and with his daughter in Durham and him living in digs down here, his circumstances aren't ideal. It's probably the reason he didn't want to come south.

If he is struggling mentally then he really needs to seek help. If he isn't then he needs to work hard at his game and to demonstrate that he can supply us with the difference that we will need at times.
  • Options
    I assume from his tweets that he isn't still with the mother of his child? Having a stable relationship and a family is a big plus for a footballer living away from his roots and with his daughter in Durham and him living in digs down here, his circumstances aren't ideal. It's probably the reason he didn't want to come south.

If he is struggling mentally then he really needs to seek help. If he isn't then he needs to work hard at his game and to demonstrate that he can supply us with the difference that we will need at times.
    Pretty sure his daughter lives in Peterborough judging by recent posts on Insta. So not as far. I just think he is immature and probably bored, seen the post and he isn’t drunk and just being cringe! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I forgot he was on the bench yesterday. At no point would've I thought what we need is a bit of Marcus Maddison.
    I'd have brought him on for at least the last 10 minutes. 

You get 5 subs, use them to ensure players are getting minutes. Though I know we didn't have the opportunity due to the earlier subs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People aren’t scapegoating him.
    He’s looked pretty average so far. Against Burton he looked unfit and disinterested. You’d think that would mean putting your energies into taking this chance. Not sure posting insta videos at 3am is the Bowyer way.
    Suspect he won’t be with us beyond this season. That’s not scapegoating that’s just an opinion. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    He’s looked pretty average so far. Against Burton he looked unfit and disinterested. You’d think that would mean putting your energies into taking this chance. Not sure posting insta videos at 3am is the Bowyer way.
    Suspect he won’t be with us beyond this season. That’s not scapegoating that’s just an opinion. 
     Wouldn't be surprised to see Sandgaard buy out his contract at Christmas if he don't pull his finger out quick and there's better players about.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    In the same way if a so called shit player came to us many would be saying it’s what he does in a Charlton shirt that matters the same can be said about a so called good player .
    Maddison has been pretty much junk and a disappointment so far .
    Let’s hope he pulls it together and can find his mercurial mojo .
    I’m desperate for him to succeed , I like players who I believe can do stuff in a match (excluding running and fitness) that I could never do , admittedly my stuff was slow motion and he’s one of em .
    come on Marcus find that happy place 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

You get 5 subs, use them to ensure players are getting minutes. Though I know we didn't have the opportunity due to the earlier subs.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but you only get three opportunities to bring subs on, so that wasn’t an option. He’d have had to come on earlier with one of the other subs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but you only get three opportunities to bring subs on, so that wasn’t an option. He’d have had to come on earlier with one of the other subs.
    That's correct. LB brought on Gilbey for Williams in the 55th minute and then had the enforced substitution of Bogle for Smyth in the 66th. In deciding that he wanted to go more defensive with 20 minutes to go, he brought on Purrington for Aneke but that meant we couldn't make any more subs.

I'm sure that had he had his time again LB would have made the Smyth and Aneke substitutions simultaneously which would have left him with that option for a fourth sub especially given the possibility of an injury in the last 20 minutes. I'm still not convinced that he would have brought on Maddison but would have remained an option.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I find him really cringe which makes him difficult to warm too, especially with his reputation. I want him to do well, cos frankly he’s got the quality to win games at his best. 

I just struggle to understand these players they have bundles of talent and get paid awesome money living the dream and waste it. I’d  get my head down and make every second count. It’s easy for me to say but as supporters we are going to think that.

So many examples throughout history that money, fame and success are no escape from your inner demons, and in many cases make them far worse. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    redbuttle said:
    What about actually giving him a chance? That would be something radical.
    Didn't he start against Gillingham, Burton Albion on Tuesday and Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup? Apart from a few minutes immediately after joining he's been injured pretty much otherwise. 

Jury still out as far as I am concerned. If the midfield plays as effectively as it did against Ipswich in his absence then he will have to await an opportunity. There's always another injury just around the corner with Charlton so it shouldn't take long before he gets another go.
  • Options
    One of the problems was the expectation that he could be a "plug and play" goal scoring assisting machine in our team.

Obviously he hasn't been, but what that would have ignored is what formation would we need to play to achieve that, what consequences would it have on other players etc etc. 

Without Doughty, Maddison is the only player of his type in the squad. Everyone else needs to play in the diamond and 2 up front to be effective. 

Is he so good that you change the whole set up to accommodate him?  Probably not, even at his best. 

If he does "alright" it will be a disappointment for those that believed he would guarantee 30 odd goals and assists and it will never be good enough for those that were wanting him to fail.  Either way there is plenty of time for him to chip in with match winning contributions.

What we have seen from him so far is exactly what I was expecting.  A goal, an assist, nearly scored from a free kick etc but if he doesn't score or assist he contributes very little else. That's why he spent so long at Peterborough, despite being watch by championship scouts almost every game of his career. 
  • Options
    I reckon he'll come good eventually. And when that happens, it will be quite spectacular!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah covered that in the bold bit.

If we want to see him kick on we need to use him.
  • Options
    I reckon he'll come good eventually. And when that happens, it will be quite spectacular!
    Well, let's hope so!

Over to you, Marcus.

• Options
    Well I was told to ignore his tattoos and judge him by what he does with his feet...................still waiting.
  • Options
    Having a quick scroll through his time at Peterborough, a lot of his goals/assists do look grouped together, so makes sense if he has a permanent state of on/off, which may actually work in our favour considering Bowyer’s rotation policy. We just need to get him playing right on the chosen games, which is obviously the challenge for Bowyer, JJ etc. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Valley11 said:
     Wouldn't be surprised to see Sandgaard buy out his contract at Christmas if he don't pull his finger out quick and there's better players about.
    That payoff would still count to our total wage bill, so we'd be giving away a chunk of the stupid wage cap for nothing. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I think thats exactly the sort of thing that would surprise me.
  • Options
    Give the guy a chance. I believe he has the talent. 
  • Options
    He's one of those players you just want to see take off for us, bit like the Watt scenario.  He could be Jack the fucking Ripper as far as i am concerned as long as he starts contributing to us tearing this piss pot of a league up!

The fact his demeanour, personality and personal life choices don't suit the CAFC wokebase don't bother me one bit.  

Crack on Marcus, but if you don't start pulling your finger out on the pitch, you will start getting pelters from me!
    So you can be a murderer, slaughter 5 women, but run out for CAFC  for half a match and that makes him ok in your eyes as long as he performs to your perceived standards?
    Er yes!

Got lentils for tea tonight Bromley?