Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    @Exiled_Addick I agree with you but you don't sign someone like Maddison to try and turn them into a different style of player. If we weren't gonna use him for what he's good at then we shouldn't have signed him.

The blame for that goes to Gallen and Bows.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Exiled_Addick I agree with you but you don't sign someone like Maddison to try and turn them into a different style of player. If we weren't gonna use him for what he's good at then we shouldn't have signed him.

No one's asking him to be a different style of player - he's not being asked to play fullback or defensive mid. Bowyer has clearly said he's been brought here to get goals and assists, which we know he can do (although he, notably, hasn't yet in the league), but Bowyer also buys players with the intention of improving them. If you look at Maddsion and think "how can this player be better" it's pretty obvious he can do more to help the team defensively. Bowyer made Taylor less selfish and someone who worked harder for the team and he's trying to do the same with Maddison.
  • Options
    @Exiled_Addick I agree with you but you don't sign someone li Maddison to try and turn them into a different style of player. If we weren't gonna use him for what he's good at then we shouldn't have signed him.

I think Bowyer needs to be a little bit more flexible. If you go out with the mindset you have to defend and will get a bollocking or pulled off then that’s an issue. That’s why top managers are a rare breed who can take a skillful player and get the best out of them rather than degrade their performances. I think Maddison is a talent and will need handling differently. 
  • Options
    Do people think we give too much focus, attention and unfair expectation on MM rather than other people in the team?

Yes he came with a big rep because he had big Ivan playing up front who scored goals for fun @ Posh.

We have so few creative players that can play 90 minutes week in week out,  I wonder if we’re too desperate for it to work out here for him.

Maybe  there’s a good reason he was a free transfer, he’s trying to put his life back together, and we took a punt, whether we can get him fit and firing before the season ends is another question.

Creatively last night he makes stuff happen, generally last night looked a car crash with lots of weary legs out there, he was a bright spark amongst a lot of pedestrian abjectness (not trying to dig anyone out).

This my angle too, but it's easier to forgive a creative player not creating anything, if they at least carry their own weight in between times.

Anyway, he was better last night and came as close as anyone to creating anything.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    One of a few players we have that can create a chance. The balls he put in last night were on a different wave length to our forwards who were slow in getting into dangerous positions. 

He was signed to attack not to defend.

Did Andy Reid get stick for not defending? Did Claus jenson? I think the stick aimed at Maddison’s defensive frailties stems from his appearance, tattoos and social media comments. People don’t like him off the pitch so are quick to criticise on it

I definitely wouldn’t want to go for a beer with him but get interested every time he shapes to cross as I know it’s going to be dangerous. 
    The comment at the time was that he was the only player that finished the game with white shorts as clean as when the game started...........but what a brilliant player
    From memory the clean shorts comments were aimed at Matt Holland. 
  • Options
    As a few others have stated you don't sign Marcus for his defensive work, you sign him so you've got an easy outlet who can make things happen. It's the reason he got so many assists and goals at Peterborough.

He's a luxury player and if Bows isn't gonna treat him as such then I really don't understand why we signed him.
    He probably also got a lot of assists at Peterborough because they had better strikers than we do. They had the likes of Jack Marriott, Godden and Toney whilst MM was there
  • Options
    Somewhat ironically the one player we had who would have thrived on Maddison's service was probably Bonne - MM throwing in three or four decent crosses in a game and Bonne would probably be scoring fairly regularly given his usual conversion rate.

Bit of a sliding doors moment perhaps.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Last night was his best showing for us so far, but that isn't saying much. He did swing a few decent balls into the box, although he wastes a lot too trying Hollywood balls that are not really on. He is going to make things happen in the final third if he gets the ball enough, but his defensive work is straight out of the Darren Ambrose text book of run around trying to look like you're defending, but never get closer than 3 paces from an opposition player. Maybe he was just social distancing.

Do the ups sufficiently offset the downs with him? I'm far from convinced yet but he deserves more time. I've already said it on the post match thread, but it was a generally tired and leggy looking performance - we're going to get a few of those with the relentless fixture schedule this season, plus we've been having to over play players to cover injuries.

The opposition  locked as fit as butchers dogs and the two oldest dogs , Lewington and Cameron looked the fittest. Plus they played Sunday. 
    Credit to Mk they outplayed us and deserved the 3 points, technically the best side I’ve seen us play this season, we need to get out of the mindset of looking at the table, seeing what position the opponents are and writing them off as tinpot and an easy game and 3 points, I wonder if this mindset has got into the players heads, as well as general fatigue.
  • Options
    As a few others have stated you don't sign Marcus for his defensive work, you sign him so you've got an easy outlet who can make things happen. It's the reason he got so many assists and goals at Peterborough.

He's a luxury player and if Bows isn't gonna treat him as such then I really don't understand why we signed him.
    He probably also got a lot of assists at Peterborough because they had better strikers than we do. They had the likes of Jack Marriott, Godden and Toney whilst MM was there
    And Washington and Bogle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Big news. He’s got a PS5
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Reminds me a lot of Danny Green actually.

Has that Hollywood / Beckham like ball in his locker which he can deliver 2-3 times a game if he gets the ball in the right positions, but might not provide much else.

Ultimately there’s a reason why players like Maddison and Green don’t get further than League One for any sustained period of time, whatever that may be. Not to say they aren’t decent for this level though.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Big news. He’s got a PS5
    Big fan of that. Go on Marcus lad
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Reminds me a lot of Danny Green actually.

Has that Hollywood / Beckham like ball in his locker which he can deliver 2-3 times a game if he gets the ball in the right positions, but might not provide much else.

Ultimately there’s a reason why players like Maddison and Green don’t get further than League One for any sustained period of time, whatever that may be. Not to say they aren’t decent for this level though.
    And Ricky Holmes 
  • Options
    Totally agree with the last ten posts or so. Bowyer needs to address quite a few of his own issues first and let us enjoy the luxury of a player who will create or score a goal which no one sees coming.Maddison,to me,seems to have only one thing on his mind and that is the scoring of goals. I think it also highlights,at the moment,Bowyer's general inflexibility. Even the rigid Curbs formations saw room for a creative player or two and what a difference they made to player and supporter morale.I hope Bowyer can learn and include freedom of thought into those players who will make such a difference. Come on,this division is full of average players and the right attitude and tactics for the players we have should get us promoted.
    Why do you think he signed him in the first place JH?
    You’ll soon be seeing a lot  more of him I fancy.
    I think there may well have been a battle of wills going on in the background, that and his injury plus general lack of fitness, has obviously seen him as only a part player up until now.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Big news. He’s got a PS5
    And an M&M that has just let rip a very satisfying fart.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I think he comes across as quite a lonely chap if I'm honest. The vitriol directed at him on twitter I find quite frankly disgusting, it's from our own fan base. 

I hope he proves the doubters wrong and when he is doing well comes out and says "fck you to the fans that trolled me"
    Its a side of the Sport I really hate and is another reason why I'm reluctant to be too negative about performances

We only see one side of a Footballer, the one that is out on the pitch, we bemoan when they dont put the effort in to chase a lost cause, dont make a pass or back out of a tackle. But deep down we dont have a clue about what is going on, and quite simply yes we pay to be entertained etc. but we dont have the right to know how they're feeling

So much gets made about Mental Health in Footballers now that we still seem to ignore it, and think that these people are superhumans and because they earn such a decent wage, should just be able to get on with it - Jonny Williams on the "Sunderland Till I Die" is a perfect example of why fans need to take a back step at times with their harsh comments over a players personal life and performance!!

Oh and that reason I'm personally reluctant to be too negative?

I berated Andy Hunt against Coventry, had a rubbish game and scored before being withdrawn... We never saw him again because of his chronic fatigue and I've always reminded myself of that fact. How do we know others arent going through something themselves that is impact, think its utter arrogance for fans to think that players can "just get on with it".

No doubt those same people who berate Maddison will ask why he didnt get help when playing if he ends up being a bit like Paul Gascogine or Kenny Samson who struggle to deal with life after the game as they dont have that distraction
    This 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m guessing MM was up in the middle of the night glued to stock informer.

Joking aside I’m actually pleased he’s got one so hopefully he can have some bants with the other players which will help him settle in.
  • Options
    I see on Instagram that he's also bought himself a Manscaped...
  • Options
    No idea what a manscaped is, not sure I want to look it up on the internet!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    No idea what a manscaped is, not sure I want to look it up on the internet!
    Its only a beard trimmer - @DamoNorthStand's brain is just in the gutter
  • Options
    Just had a look. It is for the lawn down below! Well I never

What an incredible waste of money. 

I just use a beard trimmer. 
  • Options
    Not even on the bench today, wonder if he’s picked up a PS5 injury.
  • Options
    Ill
  • Options
    ill apparently.