Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    His crossing was decent, the quality of that right footed cross really surprised me, and I suspect the MKD players too

The strikers do need to anticipate better, I don't know whether it's because they're not on his wavelength yet, or whether they're just not good enough

His defensive workrate isn't good though, from the East stand you could see him jogging back slowly when we lost the ball giving no cover to the right of the defence, something you need to do in a 4-2-3-1 which we played for the last 30 minutes
    Trouble is, players like that aren’t going to defend - if Bowyer expected him to defend them he’s signed the wrong bloke. Even when he does track back his tackling leaves a lot to be desired, and probably better if he doesn’t - he gives away really cheap free kicks. 

Personally I don’t have a problem with having a luxury player that isn’t going to work as hard as the others, particularly if he is going to provide a game changing moment or carve out a few chances. However he needs to do that every game, if he doesn’t then we really are carrying a passenger. 

In terms of the strikers not being on his wavelength or not being good enough - it’s a bit of both. But they really do need to gamble and anticipate better than they do. 
  • Options
    we've got enough defensive minded 'cloggers' in that team to do his chasing back - he needs to just be given a free role to roam wherever he wants, he'd be a nightmare for opponents to pick up
    We didn't in the last 25 minutes though as we had a 4-2-3-1 with Aneke, Williams, Maddison and Washington as the front 4, none of them very good defensively
  • Options
    An unbelievably creative footballer (for this level) who excites and frustrates a lot: I'd have said in equal measure, but at the moment it's more of the latter.

He reinvigorated our midfield when he came on last night, which makes a huge change from Burton, where he went off and the midfield looked a breath of fresh air. He doesn't work hard, but he's never been a muck and bullets type player. The trade off is theoretically creativity, and he definitely provided a spark last night, but nothing quite came off.

I'm still in the "give him time" camp. Once everyone is on the same wavelength we could have a far more creative attack.

Oh, and we're massively missing Doughty, aren't we?
  • Options
    As a few others have stated you don't sign Marcus for his defensive work, you sign him so you've got an easy outlet who can make things happen. It's the reason he got so many assists and goals at Peterborough.

He's a luxury player and if Bows isn't gonna treat him as such then I really don't understand why we signed him.
    Presumably for the same reason he signed Williams and Oztumer too. Because he thought he could change them and make them the all round modern footballer. The same reason he originally kept leaving Morgan out of the side. He expects them to work harder and if they don't he will either let them go or leave them on the bench until such time as the need arises to use them.

The difference is that the ways of Maddison, Williams and Oztumer are somewhat ingrained by their age and experience. As evidenced though, Morgan is young and has been willing to change.

LB is very "black and white" and it will be interesting to see if he is going to adapt the set up of the team to suit Maddison. In both the case of LB and Maddison "if you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always got!"
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    If you come on wearing 2 different colour boots you'd best make something happen...shocker
    Think it was all that was left in the lost property basket 
  • Options
    Thought he did ok last night, some of the balls in were top notch... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He had a great impact when he came on......very unlucky not to have got an ‘assist’ on his CV on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    spot on !
  • Options
    One of a few players we have that can create a chance. The balls he put in last night were on a different wave length to our forwards who were slow in getting into dangerous positions. 

He was signed to attack not to defend.

Did Andy Reid get stick for not defending? Did Claus jenson? I think the stick aimed at Maddison’s defensive frailties stems from his appearance, tattoos and social media comments. People don’t like him off the pitch so are quick to criticise on it

I definitely wouldn’t want to go for a beer with him but get interested every time he shapes to cross as I know it’s going to be dangerous. 
    This.
  • Options
    I do recall people around me complaining that Claus Jensen never got stuck in!!
  • Options
    One of a few players we have that can create a chance. The balls he put in last night were on a different wave length to our forwards who were slow in getting into dangerous positions. 

Did Andy Reid get stick for not defending? Did Claus jenson? I think the stick aimed at Maddison’s defensive frailties stems from his appearance, tattoos and social media comments. People don’t like him off the pitch so are quick to criticise on it

I definitely wouldn’t want to go for a beer with him but get interested every time he shapes to cross as I know it’s going to be dangerous. 
    But you've got to have a shape and other players to cover if you have a player who doesn't defend much

Claus Jensen was a brilliant player, but we had players to do the donkey around him. Looking at the team for the 4-2 Highbury win, our other midfielders were Konch, Parker and Kinsella all great workers
  • Options
    Our forwards are pretty gormless, to get most out of him we need to sign a striker with some goal-scoring instinct in January.
  • Options
    Last night was his best showing for us so far, but that isn't saying much. He did swing a few decent balls into the box, although he wastes a lot too trying Hollywood balls that are not really on. He is going to make things happen in the final third if he gets the ball enough, but his defensive work is straight out of the Darren Ambrose text book of run around trying to look like you're defending, but never get closer than 3 paces from an opposition player. Maybe he was just social distancing.

Do the ups sufficiently offset the downs with him? I'm far from convinced yet but he deserves more time. I've already said it on the post match thread, but it was a generally tired and leggy looking performance - we're going to get a few of those with the relentless fixture schedule this season, plus we've been having to over play players to cover injuries.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    we've got enough defensive minded 'cloggers' in that team to do his chasing back - he needs to just be given a free role to roam wherever he wants, he'd be a nightmare for opponents to pick up
    We didn't in the last 25 minutes though as we had a 4-2-3-1 with Aneke, Williams, Maddison and Washington as the front 4, none of them very good defensively
    Considering the position he plays I think Washington does his fair share defending from the front
  • Options
    And it was 2 years after he had left. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maddison got similar reviews to the ones that Scott Fraser received last night when he played against for Posh ,

He has ability and showed it last night.
  • Options
    Please don’t compare Claus to this guy! 
  • Options
    Totally agree with the last ten posts or so. Bowyer needs to address quite a few of his own issues first and let us enjoy the luxury of a player who will create or score a goal which no one sees coming.Maddison,to me,seems to have only one thing on his mind and that is the scoring of goals. I think it also highlights,at the moment,Bowyer's general inflexibility. Even the rigid Curbs formations saw room for a creative player or two and what a difference they made to player and supporter morale.I hope Bowyer can learn and include freedom of thought into those players who will make such a difference. Come on,this division is full of average players and the right attitude and tactics for the players we have should get us promoted.
  • Options
    Think we have enough cloggers in the team to allow for Maddison to do his stuff! He is the one player in this team that gets people off their seats! 
  • Options

The comment at the time was that he was the only player that finished the game with white shorts as clean as when the game started...........but what a brilliant player
  • Options
     I agree on 3 of those, but Washington has looked decent on a number of occasions dropping into midfield or defence to win the ball back.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Claus Jensen was better defensively than people remember. He never flew into tackles, but he did get back and defend - he got between the ball and our goal, tracked runners, closed down space etc. He was also an asset because when we got the ball back he would help us keep it and launch attacks on the break. Curbs often left him on when we defending a lead.

So far (and I do emphasize the "so far") Maddison has done none of those things. Yes he's not in the team to be a ball winner - fair enough - but neither are Williams, Morgan, Shinnie or any of the forwards, but they don't jog around like defending is simply not in their job description. If the bloke was so head and shoulders above anything else in the division he guarantees you goals every week it'd be defensible, but we aren't good enough to carry players through games in the hope they do something special.

Our best players have always worked hard for the team, no matter how individually talented they are, and I don't expect any less of Maddison. Morgan's learnt it, he needs to too.