Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Hadn’t yet seen the website and motto. Urgh.

https://thesuperleague.com/

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Scoham said:
    Not directly ESL related but shows how people at those 12 clubs think. All about money and power.

Maybe its because a lot of games tend to be dead rubbers which is why Burnley v Palace will attract fewer viewers. If Arsenal and Spurs are rooted bottom of the Super League with the winner not really benefiting, surely it'll go the same way?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Shearer saying this morning that the Premier League should act straight away and kick the clubs out and take on the legal fight. I wonder if this happened how many of their players might have release causes in their contracts, such as relegation or not qualifying for Europe and could walk away on free transfers and sign for real clubs not in the Super Greed League
    What other clubs not in the super league could afford their salaries?

They can't all sign for PSG and Bayern.
    A few clubs not having to pay a transfer fee could offer decent deals
    How?

If the big 6 were kicked out of the league, the Sky/BT tv deal would collapse and clubs would be struggling to pay their existing wage bill. They'd no longer be getting 100m+ a season, they'd be getting about 10m (i might be exaggerating but a new deal would be much much less).

The tv deal only exists because of the big 6. People might say 'good riddance, let them go', but without them the premier league is fucked and would be for years until clubs recovered. If people think clubs were financially damaged by no fans because of covid, imagine the fall out if the tv deal collapses.
    And this is part of the dilemma in how to stop this thing happening. The EPL will hope they don't have to kick these teams out of the league because it hurts the income the receive from TV and sponsorship, if these teams aren't there as much as we don't like it the fact is the money is paid because of these teams and the players they have. UEFA won't want to ban the clubs or players from their competitions as it impacts their revenue from TV and sponsorship. FIFA won't want to ban players from the world cup because it impacts their revenue. Noticing a theme?

What is then left? Governments? Last thing they'll want to do is get involved with lengthy, expensive legal wrangling with these clubs who will also argue that it isn't the place for governments to be getting involved. 

This is the big issue now, it's all well and good these organisations and individuals giving statements and nice soundbites but who is actually going to step up and do something about it? I'm encouraged by the near universal condemnation from fans of all clubs but these owners have shown they do not care what the real fans think. Football is a mess and even if this does get stopped now are we just kicking the can down the road?
    What is left is Prince William’s Football Association, the guardians of the sport as a sport, the body that sorts officials and rules.
    They can disqualify the six teams with virtually no financial downside.
    The other organisations are less important than the FA in this matter.
    Can they? 
    Yes I believe they can. If there is a financial conduit from clubs to the Football Association it will be equal for each club according to their status, and not a huge fee either.
    Arsenal do no pay more money in to register than Burnley.
    Yeah but what about the FA Cup, for example?

If the FA didn't want/need them in that they would have stopped playing in it by now. 
    I believe one of the rules of association is agreeing to play in the FA Cup. The six clubs request that of the FA not the other way round.
    Nothing to do with either want or need.
    Well it is.  The clubs have ask multiple times to not be in it, for different reasons.  The the FA didn't want or need them in it they would have said OK.

Even if that wasn't true, and we will agree to differ, the FA aren't going to pull the cards down on the whole thing.  That's not protecting anything.

If the 6 could leave with no implications they would be long gone already.  They would have been kicked out after big picture, or the time before that, or the time before that.

They hold most of the aces, they know that and so does everyone else.  They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't. 
    We agree to disagree.
    Those clubs could be sent on their way today.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

As someone said yesterday on here, its THE Super League, not the EUROPEAN Super League

If this goes ahead I genuinely think its the start of a worldwide Super League not just confined to Europe
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chizz said:
    iainment said:
    How easy would it be for players and staff to argue their contracts would be void if this happens.
    I think, maybe naively, that for top players a place in the World Cup or euros might outrank being in the ESL. 
    I don't think Fifa would actually stop players playing at the world cup, it would be a farce if they did.

Just taking a suggested England starting 11:

Pope
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell
    Mount, Rice, Foden
    Sterling, Kane, Rashford

It just won't happen imo
    Can someone play in any FA/UEFA/FIFA, et al, tournament without being fully registered as a player?

Unless the authorities collapse in the face of even more greed than they have shown to date, the ESL has to be an external competition, unrecognised and unregistered, with those involved expelled from the national leagues.

FIFA cannot afford to not stop ineligible players from playing in its competitions.
    Catholics and the Present Confusion  Catholic World Report
    Hey, I'm just accentuating the negative(s)....

To say nothing of being really pissed off.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    So the European super closed shop League will turn into a game of 4 quarters as the under 30's have a short attention span. Cheers leaders are mandatory as are tattoos with EFL on players necks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    40% not interested, which suggests 60% are, which seems massive to me given the other entertainments available.

Bloke's a prick.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Scoham said:

Billions of pounds worth of funding, and that's the best graphic design they could afford?

Croydon said:
    Scoham said:

Billions of pounds worth of funding, and that's the best graphic design they could afford?

• Options
    They've missed out the words "And Tottenham"
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not directly ESL related but shows how people at those 12 clubs think. All about money and power.

They are not interested because they cannot afford to go to games
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I love International football. World cups and Euros are class with a group of mates.

In all honesty I’d be gutted if that went and it’d make those summers a hell of a lot less interesting.
    No one is suggesting no Euros or World cups. They still take place, but without the greed league players.

Like many others I am not reading all of the thread, I skipped from page 27 to here and I realise that not everyone has read what I wrote, or what other people who had similar ideas wrote. But the crucial thing is sticking together, fans can make a difference here, they really can. It is about pressure. Not just on the greed league clubs, but their fans - make sure boycotters places are not filled, ostracise those that do, make sure media outlets are pressurised into not co-operating with them, makes sure advertisers are bombarded with negative reviews, threaten to boycott pubs that show their games. As I said before, petty but effective, just refuse to discuss football with anyone who supports the idea. 

Something I did not think of before, but has that has been suggested elsewhere, all ties cut with football at all levels with the clubs concerned. Reserve, youth and womens.

If it does go ahead, let's make sure that the only place they can draw a crowd is actually in fucking China.  

It can be done, it really can. I have never seen such a backlash from so many quarters over an idea. If you are giving up before the start, just imagine what would have happened in 1985, or under RD if Charlton fans had done the same.            
    The big draw of the World Cup is being seen as the best footballing nation in the world. I support England because I want to see our best 11 beat other countries best 11’s.

Whilst I don’t think we’d lose international football, it would devalue the tournament massively for me. England B vs France B doesn’t have the same appeal.

And yet you support Charlton, not Manchester City @Laddick01? Funny old world.

Like I said previously, sacrifices will have to be made for the greater good. I am a huge England fan, but I am prepared to see us struggle for a while for a better outcome for the game of football.  
    In many ways, England would be likely to suffer a bit less than some of the other national squads - look at the concentration of talent in the teams that have declared themselves for this (as Terry Pratchett would have said) abomination unto Nuggan...

Italy and Spain would definitely be very badly hit, to say nothing of South American teams. 
  • Options

Respect to Bamford, Milner (especially), etc. as it can't be an easy position to be in right now. 
    What will make a difference is STAR Super League players speaking out, the superstars in their prime and the young stars ready to take their place (Rashford, Foden TAA)

Non Big 6 players speaking out carries less weight, ditto the likes of Milner - full marks to him for speaking out, but he's at the end of his career anyway and has little to lose
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Respect to Bamford, Milner (especially), etc. as it can't be an easy position to be in right now. 
    What will make a difference is STAR Super League players speaking out, the superstars in their prime and the young stars ready to take their place (Rashford, Foden TAA)

Non Big 6 players speaking out carries less weight, ditto the likes of Milner - full marks to him for speaking out, but he's at the end of his career anyway and has little to lose
    In fairness, he is the vice-captain of the current Champions.  So his views are of some interest.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

In fairness, he is the vice-captain of the current Champions.  So his views are of some interest.  
    As I said I'm happy that he spoke out, but a 35 year old at the end of his career has nothing to lose really. If he said his owners were a disgrace and they dumped him, he could retire or have a final season at Leeds

It's the superstars of the game that the competition needs. If Kane, De Bruyne, Salah etc said they'd refuse to play in a Super League, or star youngsters like Rashford and TAA, that would be far more of a problem for the owners.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I love International football. World cups and Euros are class with a group of mates.

In all honesty I’d be gutted if that went and it’d make those summers a hell of a lot less interesting.
    No one is suggesting no Euros or World cups. They still take place, but without the greed league players.

Like many others I am not reading all of the thread, I skipped from page 27 to here and I realise that not everyone has read what I wrote, or what other people who had similar ideas wrote. But the crucial thing is sticking together, fans can make a difference here, they really can. It is about pressure. Not just on the greed league clubs, but their fans - make sure boycotters places are not filled, ostracise those that do, make sure media outlets are pressurised into not co-operating with them, makes sure advertisers are bombarded with negative reviews, threaten to boycott pubs that show their games. As I said before, petty but effective, just refuse to discuss football with anyone who supports the idea. 

Something I did not think of before, but has that has been suggested elsewhere, all ties cut with football at all levels with the clubs concerned. Reserve, youth and womens.

If it does go ahead, let's make sure that the only place they can draw a crowd is actually in fucking China.  

It can be done, it really can. I have never seen such a backlash from so many quarters over an idea. If you are giving up before the start, just imagine what would have happened in 1985, or under RD if Charlton fans had done the same.            
    The big draw of the World Cup is being seen as the best footballing nation in the world. I support England because I want to see our best 11 beat other countries best 11’s.

Whilst I don’t think we’d lose international football, it would devalue the tournament massively for me. England B vs France B doesn’t have the same appeal.

And yet you support Charlton, not Manchester City @Laddick01? Funny old world.

Like I said previously, sacrifices will have to be made for the greater good. I am a huge England fan, but I am prepared to see us struggle for a while for a better outcome for the game of football.  
    In many ways, England would be likely to suffer a bit less than some of the other national squads - look at the concentration of talent in the teams that have declared themselves for this (as Terry Pratchett would have said) abomination unto Nuggan...

Italy and Spain would definitely be very badly hit, to say nothing of South American teams. 
    In no way, shape or form a scientific analysis, but looking at the most recent Spanish squad, six of that twenty-four play for the three Spanish clubs involved, five play for English clubs involved and one from Juventus. Half of the most recent England squad play for one of the six, plus one from Atletico Madrid. Italy had a thirty man squad, one from Chelsea and seven from the Italian splitters. Argentina's twenty-three had three and Brazil's twenty-three had eleven. I don't know enough about the the others to know, but Rashford and Henderson were not in that England squad, and they may replace players from the greedy six, but looking at the worst case scenario, thats England fifteen light. So take the worst hit. Which I don't have a problem with. 

If players can go on strike to move to a "better club" they can go on strike to move to a "worse" one if they value their international career. If the don't - fuck 'em. They all earn more in week than most people do in a year anyway.        

• Options
    They essentially want to market an irl version of FIFA Ultimate Team for a bunch of soulless nerds that wish real football was filmed like those terrible movies where each player's contribution to a goal is a stupid skill move filmed in close up and every strike is a muscular scissors kick. Yuck.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Amidst this turmoil in the major European leagues, particularly the English, is this an opportunity for Rangers and Celtic to finally join a league commensurate with their world wide support? How are the boards of these two clubs viewing the current developments?
    They can clamber up from the Combined Counties league or wherever and earn their status on the football field.
    Doubt the current Celtic team would be clambering too far up the ladder from that start! 
  • Options
    Oh Pep you beautiful man 
  • Options
    edited April 2021

What goes 1st?  Pep, the twitter admin or the SL? 
  • Options
    There's no way this is going to go ahead.

2 of the most influential managers in the game have publicly gone against it in the past 24 hours. Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U all play later this week as well.