Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    We should ban Americans bringing their sports over here. If we have saddos who would prefer to watch their turgid crap, they should go to the US and watch it. They can watch WWE and the Harlem Globetrotters and leave the pure sport to the rest of us.
    Which sports is the ESL 'bringing over here'?
    Tiddlywinks.
  • Options
    Interesting that SSN are saying UEFA and FIFA are with legal experts now and may look to see if Real Madrid, Man City and Chelsea could be thrown out of this year's competition by this Friday! Only PSG would survive.
    Wonder if they could also demand back any prize money won so far ;)
  • Options
    Interesting that SSN are saying UEFA and FIFA are with legal experts now and may look to see if Real Madrid, Man City and Chelsea could be thrown out of this year's competition by this Friday! Only PSG would survive.
    I'm assuming the same would apply to Manure and Arsenal in the Europa?
  • Options
    I would imagine they could be replaced by the clubs they knocked out except Real Madrid beat Liverpool. Surely the TV companies will demand they have semis to show.
  • Options
    I would imagine they could be replaced by the clubs they knocked out except Real Madrid beat Liverpool. Surely the TV companies will demand they have semis to show.

Let Dortmund v Porto be a semi to Play PSG in the Final. 
  • Options
    Shearer saying this morning that the Premier League should act straight away and kick the clubs out and take on the legal fight. I wonder if this happened how many of their players might have release causes in their contracts, such as relegation or not qualifying for Europe and could walk away on free transfers and sign for real clubs not in the Super Greed League
    What other clubs not in the super league could afford their salaries?

They can't all sign for PSG and Bayern.
    A few clubs not having to pay a transfer fee could offer decent deals
    How?

If the big 6 were kicked out of the league, the Sky/BT tv deal would collapse and clubs would be struggling to pay their existing wage bill. They'd no longer be getting 100m+ a season, they'd be getting about 10m (i might be exaggerating but a new deal would be much much less).

The tv deal only exists because of the big 6. People might say 'good riddance, let them go', but without them the premier league is fucked and would be for years until clubs recovered. If people think clubs were financially damaged by no fans because of covid, imagine the fall out if the tv deal collapses.
    I think it’s naive to think that the breakaway clubs haven’t already been in dialogue with various companies regarding tv rights. Including Sky despite their public indignation. The tv rights to this in the Far East in particular will potentially be enormous. It might well impact the current Sky / BT deal with the remainder PL clubs but I doubt any of the breakaways could give a toss. In Europe the likes of Real Madrid and Barca already control their rights and will care even less than the English clubs. 

I suspect this proposal is too far advanced to be any kind of ploy to extract a better deal from tv or to pressurise UEFA into a restructuring of Champions League. I think despite the massive and widespread criticism they know that eventually the dust will settle and for me unfortunately the bastards will succeed in getting what they want. Financial and regulatory autonomy. As for English football it will mean a reboot and I can see within a few years restructuring of our leagues with the door opening to Celtic and Rangers being invited in. 

I’m not confident this will be blocked. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I'm assuming the same would apply to Manure and Arsenal in the Europa?
    Yes @bobmunro that was also mentioned.
  • Options
    Shearer saying this morning that the Premier League should act straight away and kick the clubs out and take on the legal fight. I wonder if this happened how many of their players might have release causes in their contracts, such as relegation or not qualifying for Europe and could walk away on free transfers and sign for real clubs not in the Super Greed League

How?

If the big 6 were kicked out of the league, the Sky/BT tv deal would collapse and clubs would be struggling to pay their existing wage bill. They'd no longer be getting 100m+ a season, they'd be getting about 10m (i might be exaggerating but a new deal would be much much less).

The tv deal only exists because of the big 6. People might say 'good riddance, let them go', but without them the premier league is fucked and would be for years until clubs recovered. If people think clubs were financially damaged by no fans because of covid, imagine the fall out if the tv deal collapses.
    I think it’s naive to think that the breakaway clubs haven’t already been in dialogue with various companies regarding tv rights. Including Sky despite their public indignation. The tv rights to this in the Far East in particular will potentially be enormous. It might well impact the current Sky / BT deal with the remainder PL clubs but I doubt any of the breakaways could give a toss. In Europe the likes of Real Madrid and Barca already control their rights and will care even less than the English clubs. 

I suspect this proposal is too far advanced to be any kind of ploy to extract a better deal from tv or to pressurise UEFA into a restructuring of Champions League. I think despite the massive and widespread criticism they know that eventually the dust will settle and for me unfortunately the bastards will succeed in getting what they want. Financial and regulatory autonomy. As for English football it will mean a reboot and I can see within a few years restructuring of our leagues with the door opening to Celtic and Rangers being invited in. 

It is unlikely it can be blocked if it's what they really want to do - but I'm convinced they will abandon the idea as long as the FA and UEFA maintain their stances on the consequences to the clubs if they do go ahead.  
  • Options

How?

I'm not sure. On the one hand, this is a conspiracy between a group of very wealthy people who have access to top quality legal, fianncial and comms advice so you'd expect that they'd have all their ducks in the row. On the other hand, the whole announcement seemed rushed and the scheme rather half-baked e.g.: 

- no real co-ordination in terms of PR for the announcement and no strategy for dealing with the overwhelming negative reaction (even if the clubs feel they can brazen it out, potential sponsors and broadcasters are bound to feel uneasy)
    - only 12 clubs from the 20 announced 
    - no detail about how the five "merit" places will be picked
    - rubbish graphics etc for the ESL
    - managers not informed until a few minutes beforehand
    - no broadcast deal in place as far as we know
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this is what they want to do then let them. The football league will survive. In a way it may even be better for it. These big clubs are NOT the be all and end all. If I were a fan of one of them I would soon lose interest in this new league. Whats the point ? the great thing about our league system is there is always the chance you team may do a Leicester and climb the leagues to win the top flight division. I have always said how boring it must be to support one of the big teams. They dont get the thrill of relegation battles, playoff finals, the hope and expectation of what next season may bring. All they have is the thought that they will qualify for the Champions League but aint going to actually win it. BORING or what
  • Options
    I’m hearing Josh Harris is pissed off that Palace haven’t been invited ....  

I just made that up
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iainment said:
    How easy would it be for players and staff to argue their contracts would be void if this happens.
    I think, maybe naively, that for top players a place in the World Cup or euros might outrank being in the ESL. 
    I don't think Fifa would actually stop players playing at the world cup, it would be a farce if they did.

Just taking a suggested England starting 11:

Pope
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell
    Mount, Rice, Foden
    Sterling, Kane, Rashford

It just won't happen imo
    Can someone play in any FA/UEFA/FIFA, et al, tournament without being fully registered as a player?

Unless the authorities collapse in the face of even more greed than they have shown to date, the ESL has to be an external competition, unrecognised and unregistered, with those involved expelled from the national leagues.

FIFA cannot afford to not stop ineligible players from playing in its competitions.
    I don't think it will officially effect the euros, although some FAs may choose not to select players.  Being honest it won't make much difference if they did.  After the last 18 months some international football with crowds, pubs open etc will be a massive thing across Europe.

But the next world cup?  Its going to be a hard enough sell in the traditional markets as it is.  If they totally blackball all the players, what's to stop them running a parallel tournament with the star players?

What about sponsors?  It's normally the same five or six big names, Heineken, Coke, Mcdonalds, Mastercard etc what if they sponsor the ESL or any of the clubs? 

Any brand at the moment would be crazy to put there name to the super league. 

We need all options available to be on the table and if that means players banned from the Euros and World cup so be it. The clubs have gone to far and it is now a time to say no more here is the consequences for all if you support this weather as a player, agent, club or a company. 

Any British brand might be foolish but worldwide they will be falling over each other. 
  • Options
    Jordan Henderson gets it.

I know what 14 premier captains are going to say;
    If the other six can concur this could not just rock the boat but sink the Bad ship ESL.
    Who are the captains;

Liverpool - Henderson 
    City - Fernandinho
    United - Maguire
    Chelsea - Azpilicueta
    Spurs - Lloris
    Arsenal - Aubameyang

I think apart from Auba, they'd all be against it.
  • Options
    Is it too subtle for some of you. What is behind this ESL nonsense is the American concept of team sport. No relegations, franchises, even sports that are scripted, Money, Money and more Money. Americans have come over here and tried to turn our national sport into American sports. I am saying Fcuk all of their sports if that is the right word for it. The Spurs stadium is set up to host NFL football, stopping that would kick them in the proverbials.
    Wrong, what is behind this is pure greed. Anyone with a basic understanding of sport will know that professional sport in the US didn't have a long list of teams playing and then they one day decided to close up shop and not allow any more in. The number of teams competing in them have grown in numbers and have even combined leagues to compete against each other. So this narrative of "bloody yanks coming over here grrrrr" is in fact not a correct analogy. Using something along the lines of what has happened in cricket with the T20 leagues around the world or the hundred in this country is a much closer analogy but then that doesn't fit into the rhetoric does it?
  • Options
    Chelsea have nicked our bloody slogan!! Big sign outside Stamford Bridge saying "fans not customers"cheeky bastard's!! Lol
  • Options
    I knew Chelsea pitch owners own the lease, I didn't know they owned the name.  Chelsea have only played one "home" game away from Stamford Bridge.  That was against Porto the other week.

I still think Chelsea or City will blink 1st.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options

How?

You may not be able to block it as such but if the Government really wants to stop it it can make life so difficult for the clubs that they think twice.

For example, they could impose a super-tax on the clubs. (Admittedly, if they register ownership abroad that may not be so effective ). They could instruct police forces not to provide policing - that could easily mean local authorities refuse to licence the grounds meaning games can't go ahead. They could refuse employment visas for players the clubs want to sign. 

If the will is there at Government level to stop it functioning, it can be done.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The statement leaves the way for an explosion, so the shots have been fired. 

as for bringing in Celtic and Rangers, the irony of people suggesting that, hey we're against a cooked up league, but we'll cook up the league and take teams from a different federation. 

It’s not about liking it or anything else “cooked up”. If this Super League goes ahead and English football has to do without those six then bringing in two massive clubs and the interest that would bring might be necessary and financially required. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IdleHans said:
    One of the CEO of the 6 breakaway clubs called another chairman at the 14 others saying they don’t want to leave the PL but want to talk. 

...about having an even bigger slice of the pie
    And this the cards that the six hold.  What do the other 14 do?   Accept a smaller slice of a very big pie or risk having a very small pie or even no pie at all. 
    Correct but this is not just about the six is it. There are massive clubs accross the channel who couldn’t give a toss about the PL deal with Sky or BT. We must stop thinking it’s all about England. 
  • Options
    Respect to the supporters, players and managers of these clubs that are coming out to oppose these plans.
    This will never just blow over.
  • Options
    We should ban Americans bringing their sports over here. If we have saddos who would prefer to watch their turgid crap, they should go to the US and watch it. They can watch WWE and the Harlem Globetrotters and leave the pure sport to the rest of us.
    We’ve sold everything else, why not football?
    It’s sick. In the old sense of the word.
  • Options

• Options

How?

You may not be able to block it as such but if the Government really wants to stop it it can make life so difficult for the clubs that they think twice.

For example, they could impose a super-tax on the clubs. (Admittedly, if they register ownership abroad that may not be so effective ). They could instruct police forces not to provide policing - that could easily mean local authorities refuse to licence the grounds meaning games can't go ahead. They could refuse employment visas for players the clubs want to sign. 

If the will is there at Government level to stop it functioning, it can be done.
    If anyone thinks that the government will do anything along the lines of what you have suggested then I’m astonished. They won’t do anything other than wring their hands.