Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Kick the 6 out of the PL today by email; but give them a week to buy back in. 

First one to bottle it gets back for £50M, then that number doubles for each following club so by the 6th, it costs them £1.6bn. 

Email each club in turn, just leave the email to tell Utd a little bit longer before it is sent.

All monies raised go immediately to grass routes football.

Any club not in by the end of the week is only allowed to re-enter English footy at Bromley and Orpington Sunday League level where a new league will be created with no promotion as a rule.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IdleHans said:
    One of the CEO of the 6 breakaway clubs called another chairman at the 14 others saying they don’t want to leave the PL but want to talk. 

...about having an even bigger slice of the pie
    And this the cards that the six hold.  What do the other 14 do?   Accept a smaller slice of a very big pie or risk having a very small pie or even no pie at all. 
    Correct but this is not just about the six is it. There are massive clubs accross the channel who couldn’t give a toss about the PL deal with Sky or BT. We must stop thinking it’s all about England. 
    True but it is for the 14.
  • Options

Leave Plaistow Railway Modellers Club (PRMC) out of it
  • Options
    Shearer saying this morning that the Premier League should act straight away and kick the clubs out and take on the legal fight. I wonder if this happened how many of their players might have release causes in their contracts, such as relegation or not qualifying for Europe and could walk away on free transfers and sign for real clubs not in the Super Greed League
    What other clubs not in the super league could afford their salaries?

They can't all sign for PSG and Bayern.
    A few clubs not having to pay a transfer fee could offer decent deals
    How?

If the big 6 were kicked out of the league, the Sky/BT tv deal would collapse and clubs would be struggling to pay their existing wage bill. They'd no longer be getting 100m+ a season, they'd be getting about 10m (i might be exaggerating but a new deal would be much much less).

The tv deal only exists because of the big 6. People might say 'good riddance, let them go', but without them the premier league is fucked and would be for years until clubs recovered. If people think clubs were financially damaged by no fans because of covid, imagine the fall out if the tv deal collapses.
    I think it’s naive to think that the breakaway clubs haven’t already been in dialogue with various companies regarding tv rights. Including Sky despite their public indignation. The tv rights to this in the Far East in particular will potentially be enormous. It might well impact the current Sky / BT deal with the remainder PL clubs but I doubt any of the breakaways could give a toss. In Europe the likes of Real Madrid and Barca already control their rights and will care even less than the English clubs. 

I suspect this proposal is too far advanced to be any kind of ploy to extract a better deal from tv or to pressurise UEFA into a restructuring of Champions League. I think despite the massive and widespread criticism they know that eventually the dust will settle and for me unfortunately the bastards will succeed in getting what they want. Financial and regulatory autonomy. As for English football it will mean a reboot and I can see within a few years restructuring of our leagues with the door opening to Celtic and Rangers being invited in. 

I’m not confident this will be blocked. 
    You may not be able to block it as such but if the Government really wants to stop it it can make life so difficult for the clubs that they think twice.

For example, they could impose a super-tax on the clubs. (Admittedly, if they register ownership abroad that may not be so effective ). They could instruct police forces not to provide policing - that could easily mean local authorities refuse to licence the grounds meaning games can't go ahead. They could refuse employment visas for players the clubs want to sign. 

If the will is there at Government level to stop it functioning, it can be done.
    If anyone thinks that the government will do anything along the lines of what you have suggested then I’m astonished. They won’t do anything other than wring their hands. 
    I was a Whitehall civil servant for many years. There's votes in it - and lots of them - if they do something. Trust me when I say the political advisers will be working overtime seeing how they can improve the Government's standing. 

Just remember government is so often based not on what is the right decision but what is the popular one.  
  • Options
    The Champion's League has 'Lasagne' and the ESL have released their anthem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RClCnogAk
    God one minute your dissing American Sport, including WWE, now your posting the owners sons entrance music! 
  • Options

This is such a quick win for corporations and politicians having gauged the public reaction of the past 48 hours.  Same as the (PR over genuine sentiment) BLM hashtags and rainbow flags on corporate institutions' tweets. 

Everyone from Sainsbury's to Investment Banks that aren't JPM will be "sticking it to the man" with such tweets by the weekend.

Have toilet duck and Shay Given offered their tuppence worth yet?

Amazon taking a stance against corporate greed and monopolisation, truly heart warming. 

Yeah it's pretty laughable -  If amazon could get a piece of the pie they would have
  • Options
    Shearer saying this morning that the Premier League should act straight away and kick the clubs out and take on the legal fight. I wonder if this happened how many of their players might have release causes in their contracts, such as relegation or not qualifying for Europe and could walk away on free transfers and sign for real clubs not in the Super Greed League

How?

If the big 6 were kicked out of the league, the Sky/BT tv deal would collapse and clubs would be struggling to pay their existing wage bill. They'd no longer be getting 100m+ a season, they'd be getting about 10m (i might be exaggerating but a new deal would be much much less).

The tv deal only exists because of the big 6. People might say 'good riddance, let them go', but without them the premier league is fucked and would be for years until clubs recovered. If people think clubs were financially damaged by no fans because of covid, imagine the fall out if the tv deal collapses.
    I think it’s naive to think that the breakaway clubs haven’t already been in dialogue with various companies regarding tv rights. Including Sky despite their public indignation. The tv rights to this in the Far East in particular will potentially be enormous. It might well impact the current Sky / BT deal with the remainder PL clubs but I doubt any of the breakaways could give a toss. In Europe the likes of Real Madrid and Barca already control their rights and will care even less than the English clubs. 

I suspect this proposal is too far advanced to be any kind of ploy to extract a better deal from tv or to pressurise UEFA into a restructuring of Champions League. I think despite the massive and widespread criticism they know that eventually the dust will settle and for me unfortunately the bastards will succeed in getting what they want. Financial and regulatory autonomy. As for English football it will mean a reboot and I can see within a few years restructuring of our leagues with the door opening to Celtic and Rangers being invited in. 

You may not be able to block it as such but if the Government really wants to stop it it can make life so difficult for the clubs that they think twice.

For example, they could impose a super-tax on the clubs. (Admittedly, if they register ownership abroad that may not be so effective ). They could instruct police forces not to provide policing - that could easily mean local authorities refuse to licence the grounds meaning games can't go ahead. They could refuse employment visas for players the clubs want to sign. 

If the will is there at Government level to stop it functioning, it can be done.
    If anyone thinks that the government will do anything along the lines of what you have suggested then I’m astonished. They won’t do anything other than wring their hands. 
    HMGov won't even wring their (dirty) hands - they'll just mumble a few weasly platitudes hinting that hand ought to be wrung, somewhere, by someone else.
  • Options

This is such a quick win for corporations and politicians having gauged the public reaction of the past 48 hours.  Same as the (PR over genuine sentiment) BLM hashtags and rainbow flags on corporate institutions' tweets. 

Everyone from Sainsbury's to Investment Banks that aren't JPM will be "sticking it to the man" with such tweets by the weekend.

Have toilet duck and Shay Given offered their tuppence worth yet?

Amazon taking a stance against corporate greed and monopolisation, truly heart warming. 

Yeah it's pretty laughable -  If amazon could get a piece of the pie they would have
    Pretty sure Amazon could get in on it if they wanted to. 

RankCompanyCountrySector($ Bil.)
    1AppleU.S.Technology1,971
    2Saudi AramcoSaudi ArabiaEnergy1,956
    3AmazonU.S.Consumer Services1,592
    4MicrosoftU.S.Technology1,546
    5Alphabet (Google)U.S.Technology1,116
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The promo video they put out earlier is embarrassing! 

https://youtu.be/LqtZMxSuIRo
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Honestly after this I’ve changed my mind, I think we should see what the ESL is all about.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Just incase some people are like me in an office... This is NSFW without headphones... 

Fortunately I have headphones.
    Killjoy 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

And what if the Super League fails to ignite as a 12 club competition with the same teams playing each other over and over? These clubs will have nowhere to go. 
    It's been reported that any ESL would have a salary cap in order that the owners would rake off the profits rather than the players.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

How?

HMGov won't even wring their (dirty) hands - they'll just mumble a few weasly platitudes hinting that hand ought to be wrung, somewhere, by someone else.
    Sorry mate, I've worked in government at a fairly high level and I can assure you that this government's eyes will have lit up at what is a win/win situation for them. Remember the levelling-up agenda and trying to appeal to the Northern voter? This is perfect stuff to get involved in for that. 
    My take on the governments stance :

The government have held discussions at the very highest level and sought to bring all parties together to find a solution that is best for everyone, all the time giving the highest priority to the fans. The very heartbeat of football. Whilst every effort has been made to resolve the issues it is not the governments role to get involved directly with the decisions made by business. It is still hoped that a solution will be found and the governments door remains open in order to facilitate all parties reaching an agreement. 

Job done. 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:

How?

Sorry mate, I've worked in government at a fairly high level and I can assure you that this government's eyes will have lit up at what is a win/win situation for them. Remember the levelling-up agenda and trying to appeal to the Northern voter? This is perfect stuff to get involved in for that. 
    Exactly, which is why all political parties are on board.

50% ownership of clubs by fans could slow the breakaway teams down a tad. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at amazon's statement, i'm actually pretty convinced its facebook that are wanting the rights. This PR clusterfuck has zuck's fingerprints all over it. 
  • Options
    Looking at amazon's statement, i'm actually pretty convinced its facebook that are wanting the rights. This PR clusterfuck has zuck's fingerprints all over it. 
    All the stuff on Sunday suggested DAZN had their mitts all over this, but they have since denied it 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Simon jordon feels this all about them keeping there own tv rights and making there own platform like a Netflix of football. 

Can see it now they will force other leagues/teams to join the platform if they want money passed down 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:

How?

My take on the governments stance :

The government have held discussions at the very highest level and sought to bring all parties together to find a solution that is best for everyone, all the time giving the highest priority to the fans. The very heartbeat of football. Whilst every effort has been made to resolve the issues it is not the governments role to get involved directly with the decisions made by business. It is still hoped that a solution will be found and the governments door remains open in order to facilitate all parties reaching an agreement. 

Job done. 

Totally understand where you are coming from. (And I've drafted loads of stuff like you have written over the years!)

All I can say is Johnson is going to look pretty stupid if he leads all his soldiers (cabinet ministers) to the top of the hill and then leads them down again. 

Anyway, as with all these things, time will tell. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

And what if the Super League fails to ignite as a 12 club competition with the same teams playing each other over and over? These clubs will have nowhere to go. 
    It's been reported that any ESL would have a salary cap in order that the owners would rake off the profits rather than the players.
    Yup and they can set that cap so high that no one in their domestic leagues can match it. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Billy_Mix said:

How?

Exactly, which is why all political parties are on board.

50% ownership of clubs by fans could slow the breakaway teams down a tad. 

50% fan ownership always comes up as a solution to all these problems.  I know its highly effective in Germany.  Although Bayern haven't finished outside the top 3 for over 30 years.

But how do you legally take 50% of something worth billions off billionaires?  Who has to pay for the losses, if there are any?  And lastly who owns Barcelona? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    All the stuff on Sunday suggested DAZN had their mitts all over this, but they have since denied it 
    possibly. I wouldnt rule them out. Worked on a wicked pitch for DAZN before it launched that looked great and would've been really cool, they didnt pick it - never forgiven them for that!
  • Options
    The real shame about this - and Corden acknowledges it - is that his American audience just don’t care. When Corden makes a serious statement in his show, his audience is usually pretty sycophantic and will whoop and cheer support. They hardly reacted to this at all.
    American ‘football fans’ are generally only interested in these ‘big 12’ teams. They don’t see an issue with franchising or with there being no relegation or promotion.

I say this with no disrespect to my American friends. It’s simply that we look on sports leagues in a different way. But it’ll be an uphill battle trying to get some resistance from the American public - because they won’t see it as an issue.
    They  don't  see guns as an issue or having g a clown like Trump as a President either. Why the fuck should we see or want to adopt their points if view. 

"They" are not one person with one view.

Many Americans want gun control and they just voted out Trump none of which is anything to do with the ESL