Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool v Charlton | 20/10/2020 | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ignoring the disallowed Reading goal, Chuks has scored twice for us and both times were after 80 minutes with him having come off the bench for the last half an hour or so. Wouldn't be too disappointed to see a bit more of that, depending on who can stay the fitter between him and Bogle
  • Options
    I’m happy to win 1-0, or any other grubby score for the next few weeks. I think stopping the other team from scoring is the key thing while the midfield and forwards figure each other out. 

If we’re still playing like this in mid November, I’ll be worried, but for now, clean sheets and the odd goal is enough, even if it ain’t pretty. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It feels like 20 clean sheets might happen rather that any one getting near 20 goals.
    I struggled to get use to league 1 again but I was impressed with our new defence.
    Gunter, Innes, Famewo, maatsen are a step up on any other back 4 this season.
    Having Alfie Doughty who can play in about 5 different positions is an added bonus.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have finally put my finger on who Bowyer reminds me of as a manager. 

Eddie Jones. 

Protect the new back four, get used to each other.  Build confidence, not only between the defenders but confidence in them with the more expansive players.  So they know if they give the ball away its not an automatic goal against us.

Watson & Pratley have done a great job letting the back 4 settle.  Once it's properly bedded in the hand break will come off sooner rather than later.  2 1-0s with a scratch team is a good start, isn't it? 
     This. I actually thought Bowyer was using Pratley to babysit Watson until he finds his feet.
    But I think you may be right. He's using the pair of them to babysit the back four.
    On tonight's performance, I'd say they're old and ugly enough to fend for themselves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Chuks header was better than first appeared. He really bent those neck muscles and kicked his leg high as possible to generate maximum height and pace.

Shout out go Shinnie for some excellent  corners! We normally rant about this wasteful opportunity but be really has an accurate whip on him!
    Agree on the corners.  At last we are making use of them now.  And Smyths long throw is pretty useful too.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bobmunro said:
    Trying not to get too carried away but if there is a better centre half pairing in this pub league than Inniss and Famewo then I would be surprised. With Gunter and the little Dutch wizard Maatsen we may well have the best back line as well. If they all stay fit for most of the season we will cruise this league. Inniss is a monster.

What's the lowest number of goals conceded in a full 46 game season for the Champions?
    Watson much, much better tonight - once fully fit he will be a mainstay in defensive midfield (apart from his regular inevitable suspensions of course). No issues with midfield in general and with Gilbey, Maddison and Williams to come even better. I still think Smyth is going to be a big player this year.
    Great for Chuks to score and hopefully that will be a turning point - he looked noticeably fitter when he came on that when he started on Saturday and every minute on the pitch will help in that. Bogle also showed more promise and perhaps needs a goal to get his confidence back. Assuming we don't get plagued with injuries then January must focus on getting another striker.

What's the lowest number of goals scored in a full 46 game season for the Champions?

Don't know if these are the records but:

Wigan only conceded 25 in 2002-03 (they only lost 4 games and they never let in more than 2 in a game) so to beat that we would have to let no more than 19 in 40 games which we will be hard pressed to do 

Doncaster only scored 62 in 2012-13 and we could score less than that and still be champions given that they let in 44 that season in winning the division

• Options
    Just watching the Purrington second yellow and it is so soft, the ref took opportunity to even the game up, that said Maatson looked good and I can’t see Purrington getting back in unless we rotate. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Trying not to get too carried away but if there is a better centre half pairing in this pub league than Inniss and Famewo then I would be surprised. With Gunter and the little Dutch wizard Maatsen we may well have the best back line as well. If they all stay fit for most of the season we will cruise this league. Inniss is a monster.

What's the lowest number of goals conceded in a full 46 game season for the Champions?
    Watson much, much better tonight - once fully fit he will be a mainstay in defensive midfield (apart from his regular inevitable suspensions of course). No issues with midfield in general and with Gilbey, Maddison and Williams to come even better. I still think Smyth is going to be a big player this year.
    Great for Chuks to score and hopefully that will be a turning point - he looked noticeably fitter when he came on that when he started on Saturday and every minute on the pitch will help in that. Bogle also showed more promise and perhaps needs a goal to get his confidence back. Assuming we don't get plagued with injuries then January must focus on getting another striker.

What's the lowest number of goals scored in a full 46 game season for the Champions?

I must admit that I wasn't expecting Chuks to be our most threatening striker, which is what he is turning into. Keeping him fit will be crucial, if he can play 35-40 games this season, he'll get a decent number of goals
  • Options
    Watching the highlights of our goal celebration ......... Chuks runs over to Doughty for high fives.
    Chuks picks up Doughty - no way was Doughty going to risk picking up Chuks!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/charlton-athletic/12109834/blackpool-0-1-charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it pronounced Smy the....or Smyth (Smith)?
    Well, I can't think of another word in the English language with a y that gets pronounced like the i in Smith, but still everyone will do so anyway.

It should be Smyth pronounced like sky, sly, sty, scythe, shy but it's probably the player who says it's pronounced otherwise. 

Some people can't even spell their own name correctly.
    I don't often agree with you bro' but on this one I'm with you 100%. If the name has a "y" in it then it should be pronounced to rhyme with scythe. And Neil Mellor agrees with me 👍.
  • Options
    So ..... I was just watching the highlights and our disallowed goal.
    If you freeze the action to the instant that Inniss heads the ball goalbound: 

A player cannot be offside direct from a corner, in any case. The corner is taken and the keeper physically pushes Bogel away from him and turns his head in a different direction to watch Inniss make the header 

While Bogle appears to be just behind the defender who is moving off the line, he's clearly not interfering with play at that moment the ball is played by Inniss.

That is the key phrase in the Offside Law, "the moment the ball is played".

Assuming he didn't actually touch the ball ......... after the ball is played, Bogle is free to make whatever movement. he wishes surely.
    The goal should have stood.

• Options
    Didn't watch the match so had to rely on the reports from here plus Neil Mellor on Sky.

Good to grind out another 1-0 win but its not the way I like to see my team play. Once again we set up too defensively & can't believe we kept Watson & Pratley on together for all of the 1st half. Williams might as well look for another club as he wont be needed here much anymore. Also hoping that once Gilbey & Maddison are fit then we might at least have some attacking threat from midfield. 

Still don't think we are good enough for top 6, especially if we can only score 4 goals in 6 games. Doncaster scored that amount tonight in 1 game.......against the league leaders no less !!!   But enough of the whingeing for now & hoping that once the players have had a few more weeks to settle in, bed down & find their feet then we might see a bit more positive play. I might even be tempted to spend £10 on Saturday to see what Chelsea's left back looks like.....

• Options
    My issue is that with Wigan + Blackpool those should be very easy wins and yet we're scraping past them. 

Hopefully we just need time for our squad to gel but based on performances so far we're looking nowhere near promotion. 
    Absolutely clueless.
    This is the poster who was criticising Dan James’ selection at RB for England because he can’t get into the Man Utd defence, clueless seems accurate 
  • Options
    Only seen sky highlights & just wondered about their sending off, did he trip bogle or pull him back ? Looked minimal if any contact to me but Blackpool didn't seem to complain so guess there was some contact ?