Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool v Charlton | 20/10/2020 | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Blackpool manager said they deserved a draw tonight. 
    Complete nonsense. 
    Fucking hell, it's Bingo central up there!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    Blackpool manager said they deserved a draw tonight. 
    He didn't quite say that. He said there was little in it, but said he was disappointed they let us in for the crucial chance. 
    I thought he said he felt it deserved to be 0-0. 
  • Options
    I can see where the Blackpool Manager was coming from.

They were dangerous on the break but didnt really create anything, we had a lot of the ball but likewise didnt create anything

Like Leuth says, had they dealt with that initial cross then they'd have got the draw which wouldnt have been undeserved
  • Options
    How good does it feel to just be totally focussed on the football?

Just comments about formations, substitutions etc etc.

It’s just like the good old days on here - I love it! 

Gunter-Inniss-Famewo-Maatsen is a better back four than Djiksteel-Bauer-Sarr-Purrington

We have limitations up the pitch but with a defensive unit like that we can grind out results.

No real expectations for this season but it’s just so so good to talk about football, football and football. 
     I'd wager there's not a better back four in the league!
    Sunderland’s back 4 look very decent. Think we both look very similar this season and wouldn’t be shocked if we met at Wembley in May.
  • Options
    So many positives. Maatsen looks like the kid you had at school that was miles better than everyone else and was almost taking the piss.

We are gonna keep lots of clean sheets this year with the likes of Amos, Gunter, Inniss, Famewo, Pearce etc to choose from. Drop one of Watson / Pratley (on rotation as they pick up suspensions) in front of them...Proper solid old school defenders.

Maddison and Gilbey to come in too..... midfield is strong.

I will say this - if we had a BWP or Taylor in this team I’d say it would be a foregone conclusion for automatic promotion.
    Agreed, problem is we don't. I'm still hoping that there's a championship striker out there that was holding out for Championship wages now willing to accept a cap wage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How good does it feel to just be totally focussed on the football?

Just comments about formations, substitutions etc etc.

It’s just like the good old days on here - I love it! 

Gunter-Inniss-Famewo-Maatsen is a better back four than Djiksteel-Bauer-Sarr-Purrington

We have limitations up the pitch but with a defensive unit like that we can grind out results.

No real expectations for this season but it’s just so so good to talk about football, football and football. 
     I'd wager there's not a better back four in the league!
    Sunderland’s back 4 look very decent. Think we both look very similar this season and wouldn’t be shocked if we met at Wembley in May.
    Good call on Sunderland back 4, hadn't realised they've only conceded once in 6 league games so far. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just discovered that if you leave the stream running, Bowyer turns up 20 minutes later to do an interview :D
    And now we've got the action with the Blackpool and Charlton commentary superimposed over each other... :)
  • Options
    If Williams wasn't involved on Saturday because he had come back from the international break with a bit of a knock, that wasn't something that was likely to have improved between Saturday and now. Would be surprised if there had been any sort of proper training session between Saturday and today considering the team likely spent most of yesterday travelling. Fully expecting him to be involved against Northampton, and I imagine he won't have forgotten that he scored for Wales recently either
  • Options
    Are we the new Arsenal 1-0?
  • Options
    These are games we need to win. 

Two in a row let’s keep moving up
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    Just discovered that if you leave the stream running, Bowyer turns up 20 minutes later to do an interview :D
    And now we've got the action with the Blackpool and Charlton commentary superimposed over each other... :)
    Sorry to have missed this! Turned off when the Blackpool manager turned up the second time
  • Options
    That was theft. 
    Terrible footy. 
    Alfie -  MOM
    Innis  - impressive
    Washington - missing for most of the game. 
    About time we played bad and got three points. Pleased for Bow. 
  • Options
    That was theft. 
    Terrible footy. 
    Alfie -  MOM
    Innis  - impressive
    Washington - missing for most of the game. 
    About time we played bad and got three points. Pleased for Bow. 
    Not sure about that, Blackpool didn't look like scoring at all. Neither did we admittedly, but fancied us over them. 
  • Options
    Is it pronounced Smy the....or Smyth (Smith)?
    Well, I can't think of another word in the English language with a y that gets pronounced like the i in Smith, but still everyone will do so anyway.

It should be Smyth pronounced like sky, sly, sty, scythe, shy but it's probably the player who says it's pronounced otherwise. 

Some people can't even spell their own name correctly.
    Rhythm? Hypocrisy?

That said I used to know someone whose surname was Smyth and she was Irish and pronounced it Smythe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    If Williams wasn't involved on Saturday because he had come back from the international break with a bit of a knock, that wasn't something that was likely to have improved between Saturday and now. Would be surprised if there had been any sort of proper training session between Saturday and today considering the team likely spent most of yesterday travelling. Fully expecting him to be involved against Northampton, and I imagine he won't have forgotten that he scored for Wales recently either
    He was on the bench for both matches though, which doesn't suggest it was that bad. It's not as if he had to be on the bench tonight, as Morgan was left out completely
  • Options

Looking better with a game in hand. 
    Which is away to Ipswich! :smile:

• Options
    Well, I can't think of another word in the English language with a y that gets pronounced like the i in Smith, but still everyone will do so anyway.

It should be Smyth pronounced like sky, sly, sty, scythe, shy but it's probably the player who says it's pronounced otherwise. 

You sound like the people who tell me my name is Caylum not Callum.
    Not at all.

It's just that I've taught English pronunciation. There are words with a y that are pronounced otherwise. Examples:

Syringe
    Busy
    You

I don't think that it ever has the sound of 'ni' as in 'The Knights that say ni'
    From anyone who claims that Smyth is pronounced like Smith I demand a shrubbery.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    Sorry to have missed this! Turned off when the Blackpool manager turned up the second time
    It's still doing it :)
  • Options
    MattF said:
    He was on the bench for both matches though, which doesn't suggest it was that bad. It's not as if he had to be on the bench tonight, as Morgan was left out completely
    I suspect he was there for a roll of the dice if we were losing and needed to try and turn the game around
  • Options
    I understand our frustration about the negativity of playing Pratley and Watson together, I get that we want to go all out attack and take each game to the opposition. That must be our aim and ultimately we may get there,

For now it seems to me that Bowyer is getting us into good habits as a team. Defend properly, know your own job, do what you’re told. When we have mastered that we then look at how we move forward. Literally. And let’s get it right and pick up points rather than take too many chances and concede. Successful teams are built on a decent defence and it would appear that the back four that finished the game today is put best unit. No goals conceded in three games is a solid foundation.

I expect to see us more expansive as the season progresses. Gilbert and Maddison will be starters I expect. We have enough in reserve a creative wise. And in Chucks maybe a finisher.

Williams is the conundrum. Seems similar to Southgate and Grealish in that Bowyer doesn’t seem convinced that he can give him what he wants in this system. Again time will tell.

The ownership being sorted is still the biggest thing for me by a long way. What happens on the pitch is a bonus for now, given where we were a few months ago. 

I don’t always agree with Bowyer’s decisions. But he has proven to be his own man and knows the expectation that is on him now. He has our trust to develop this squad into what he wants them to be. Remember he pursued Gunter as he fits into the attacking style Bowyer says he wants to play. It may take a while to get there but I think we will and that the play offs beckon.
    As you say maybe it's a case of getting the team into good habits + with "Gilbert" Gilbey :-)  & Maddison both out maybe it's a case of keeping a strong spine with huge experience even if they don't really fit together. Once the injured return I'm sure that we'll see a much different midfield. The main concern as always is goalscoring, hopefully we can pick up an out of contract striker who can stick it in the net on a regular basis.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Try removing the S. :)
    That's just a story, not necessarily true ...