Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton v Charlton | Saturday 24th October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Northampton would be high up on the list of teams we should be beating so I am expecting us not to beat them.
    Fixed it
  • Options
    Yes, and he can still be that and allow another offensive player if he plays at left back. The counter argument is the lad from Chelsea certainly gave us attacking options when he came on. I won't second guest Bowyer's plans, just hope he doesn't play Watson and Pratley together which is a bit too negative for me and might give Northampton more of a chance than they otherwise would have.
    For me, it’s difficult to question the Watson Pratley starting as a negative, when they’ve played 3 and we’ve kept 3 clean sheets. It’s doing something very right at this stage while the rest of the team gets itself together. I don’t see them continuing to both start once we’ve settled and become a more complete and confident side. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
                         Amos
                 Inniss | Fameweo
    Gunter|                                 Doughty
                        Watson
    Forster-Caskey.                  Pratley
                        Shinnie
                Smyth.       Aneke

Doughty at LB?! Turn it in.

With the greatest of respects, he was our most dangerous attacking player Tuesday night.
    Not left back,  playing out wide. I'm fairy sure, he'll switch sides during the match as done previously 
  • Options
    Yes, and he can still be that and allow another offensive player if he plays at left back. The counter argument is the lad from Chelsea certainly gave us attacking options when he came on. I won't second guest Bowyer's plans, just hope he doesn't play Watson and Pratley together which is a bit too negative for me and might give Northampton more of a chance than they otherwise would have.
    For me, it’s difficult to question the Watson Pratley starting as a negative, when they’ve played 3 and we’ve kept 3 clean sheets. It’s doing something very right at this stage while the rest of the team gets itself together. I don’t see them continuing to both start once we’ve settled and become a more complete and confident side. 
    Then again we played 45 minutes without Pratley the other day and I still don't think Blackpool registered a shot
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I was expecting Northampton to be another pleasant little market town, but the most charitable description I can muster is that it possesses former glories, but has quite simply given up. The main square was a tragedy of closures, architectural vandalism and lack of vision
    Northampton is suffering from urban blight and neglect along with many other what were once one industry British towns and cities. The Cobblers are cobblers no more.
    The newish ground is well away from the town centre and is situated near some new build restaurants, bars and hotels. There were also a lot of houses being built round and about when last I was there. Another contemporary phenomenon, town centres left to rot and all desirable life support moves out to the suburbs for those who can afford it.
    Belgravia it aint, but not a bad little area
  • Options
    We were extremely lucky against Wigan, and then we were complete turgid rubbish against 10 men for 40 minutes. Maatsen for Pratley changed the game
  • Options
    Pratley is a great lad, fitness freak, motivator but by no means indispensable to the first eleven.

His break up play was so much more valuable in the Championship than L1, where you do not need multiple enforcers, as the opposition generally do not possess many wizards. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We are going to need Pratley at some point, but not sure whether we do at this point. Although I can say the same for Watson. One of them should play, but not both. If we were playing stronger teams, by all means, but not teams we expect to beat.

You can look at two consecutive 1-0s and even at the 0-0 before that. I would say, we could quite easily have lost against Sunderland, and drawn against Wigan and Blackpool. Of course it is true that we didn't but you can't expect the run of the ball every game and definitely not rely on it. You need a bit of a margin. I think we are good enough to believe we have the capacity for that margin. 

When if you go at these teams with a bit more ambition you can expect to beat them by more than one. That is how you put the sort of run together that gets you automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Yes, that's right. Get our Shinnie/Gilbey/Maddison/Williams etc creativity machine going and then throw a Pratley-shaped wrench into the works as soon as a 'stronger team' shows up. That's how you dominate a division
  • Options
    We've taken 7 points from a possible 9. Unbeaten and not conceded a goal with Watson and Pratley in the side.
    League winning form? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've taken 7 points from a possible 9. Unbeaten and not conceded a goal with Watson and Pratley in the side.
    League winning form? 
    With Watson and Pratley in the side, we played the equivalent of 2 1/2 games and scored one goal, thanks to a keeping error. The equivalent of 3/4 of a game of that was played with a man advantage. Call that league-winning form if you like, but
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A propos of nothing, Northampton is one of the most disappointing towns I've ever visited
    Alan Moore, author of V for Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen and much more, thinks Northampton is wonderful.
  • Options
    Oh god, maybe I just caught it on a bad day
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Actually, awful was harsh as I remember some excellent pressing in the 2nd half. I expected that in the first, so will stick to him being anonymous while having no reason not to press equally as hard in the first. Be great to see him move onto 3 goals for the season. 
    He should have pressed that hard after the red, but I wonder if Bow told them to keep calm, play patient still. 

I am certain we haven't ever really stuck it to a side when they have an early red. 
  • Options
    A wise sage on Charlton Life has always said reserve judgement until 10 games have been played.

We don't create enough chances at present. That will have to improve for us to be a threat at the top of the table.

This squad is a work in progress.

A conservative 1-1 (sorry Seth)

• Options
    "“Jason Pearce is still out, it’ll be two weeks before he’s back training. Deji Oshilaja will be two weeks as well. They’re the closest two."

I still don't have a bloomin' clue what this means. Closest 2 out of the injured total of 3 is probably what he means, as Maddison is closer because he's back in the squad, but Gilbey isn't. I'm confused or simple or have untrained myself in my SE London dialogue while wfh for 8 months.
  • Options
    Confident we should win this and win it well which is a dangerous feeling for a Charlton fan.

But I think we are starting to click up the gears and an early goal to settle the nerves should be followed by a few more.

Aneke, Washington and a late Maddison free kick to seal a 3 - 0 win.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    clive said:
    Is home advantage a thing anymore, seeing as there aren't any fans in the ground. I mean, playing in front of 70,000 Mancunians and defending the Stretford End is one thing but a soulless empty stadium with less than 50 people in attendance is another. 

I was thinking about this in midweek when watching the Brentford match. I wonder if there is the intensity if you go 2 or 3 goals down. No fans to gee you up (or on the other side of the coin no fans to be booing you). I do wonder if some players play at 90% as it looks like a reserve/ U23's fixture. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Northampton finished last season in a blaze of glory beating more fancied teams in the play offs. Their form has nosedived this season though they won their last game.
    This is the type of game we should win by a street and I expect us to win by at least a narrow alley

Northampton Town 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Wonder if anyone will be tempted to try and watch from the grass banks surrounding Sixfields stadium 
    Yep going and you can stand on the far side across the old running track 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
     golfaddick said:
    clive said:
    Is home advantage a thing anymore, seeing as there aren't any fans in the ground. I mean, playing in front of 70,000 Mancunians and defending the Stretford End is one thing but a soulless empty stadium with less than 50 people in attendance is another. 

I was thinking about this in midweek when watching the Brentford match. I wonder if there is the intensity if you go 2 or 3 goals down. No fans to gee you up (or on the other side of the coin no fans to be booing you). I do wonder if some players play at 90% as it looks like a reserve/ U23's fixture. 
    They never get 70,000 mancs in, half are from Surrey. (-:       forgot to add the smiley
  • Options
    On a roll - 3-0 Addicks
  • Options
    4-0 to the Reds, up the Addicks!!
    I agree, comfortable away win 4-0.
    Comfortable away win 4-0 too
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
                         Amos
                 Inniss | Fameweo
    Gunter|                                 Doughty
                        Watson
    Forster-Caskey.                  Pratley
                        Shinnie
                Smyth.       Aneke

Doughty at LB?! Turn it in.

With the greatest of respects, he was our most dangerous attacking player Tuesday night.
    Not left back,  playing out wide. I'm fairy sure, he'll switch sides during the match as done previously 
    Even wing back is too far back further up the better.
  • Options
    too much optimism here
    0-0
  • Options
    Draw.
    Who do you think you are, Billy the Kid?
    Old West Cowboy With Battered Felt Hat Looks Sideways And Scratches Stock  Photo Picture And Royalty Free Image Image 16980090
  • Options
    I see no reason to be anything other than optimistic.

Two-nil to us 
  • Options
    I really think that going away to League 1 sides with no crowd works in our favour, no fans to lift their team. But this will be tricky and our team is still to play flowing football, 2-2.