Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton v Charlton | Saturday 24th October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    We've taken 7 points from a possible 9. Unbeaten and not conceded a goal with Watson and Pratley in the side.
    League winning form? 
    With Watson and Pratley in the side, we played the equivalent of 2 1/2 games and scored one goal, thanks to a keeping error. The equivalent of 3/4 of a game of that was played with a man advantage. Call that league-winning form if you like, but
    Exactly.

Having Watson and Pratley was exactly right for Sunderland, as they were at the time clearly a better side, and we needed to defend manfully to keep them out

The other 2 matches were games we would expect to win, especially Blackpool who have 1 point in their last 5 matches, they're not results to get the rest of the division quaking.
  • Options
    Comfortable 0-3 innis to get a goal that stands to make up for last week
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I was expecting Northampton to be another pleasant little market town, but the most charitable description I can muster is that it possesses former glories, but has quite simply given up. The main square was a tragedy of closures, architectural vandalism and lack of vision
    Northampton is suffering from urban blight and neglect along with many other what were once one industry British towns and cities. The Cobblers are cobblers no more.
    The newish ground is well away from the town centre and is situated near some new build restaurants, bars and hotels. There were also a lot of houses being built round and about when last I was there. Another contemporary phenomenon, town centres left to rot and all desirable life support moves out to the suburbs for those who can afford it.
    Belgravia it aint, but not a bad little area
    You are correct, the new builds continue in earnest to be constructed around sixfields and surrounding areas.  The positive recent news is the university moving into the centre of town from the outskirts which, in normal times, will help the town centre to breed a new, hopefully younger and more bohemian, life.  Highlights on Northampton include: the welly run (pub crawl on the wellingborough road), snooker @ Barrats and a fry up at the super sausage.  

(I went to uni there in the late 90s) .
  • Options
    I fear a disappointing 0-0 draw.
  • Options
    I'll never forget Northampton Town back in the 60's! They went from then Div 4 to Div 1 in 5 years. Sadly it took about just as long to arrive back in Div 4!
    Tight game 2-1 to the Addicks. 
  • Options
    JW to start and score.
  • Options
    Be good to see JW start.  He deserves it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I think Bowyer will play: 

Amos
    Gunter Inniss Famewo Maatsen
    Pratley Watson Doughty
    Shinnie
    Aneke Smyth

Personally, I would swap Pratley for JFC. And consider giving Williams 60 minutes before replacing him for Shinnie.

Predict a 1 - 1.
  • Options
    1-3. 
  • Options
    Always had a soft spot for Northampton as I was born there as a war baby(no sentiment today though)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    In more excellent news Charlton & Northampton are saddled with a "referee" who's never officiated at this level before. First season, 6 games so far all L2 and piss pot trophy.
    Fingers crossed he's that rare breed: competent, confident and humble.  Breath not held
    My money's on cobblers not just being our hosts' nickname.
    Has given 4 penalties in 6 games... 

Hopefully the referee will favour the away side, but every penalty he has given so far has been against the away side. 
    In which case Williams needs to play and use his Palace penalty winning training 
    Has Williams ever won a penalty for us? He usually falls over in the centre circle or our own half!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    In more excellent news Charlton & Northampton are saddled with a "referee" who's never officiated at this level before. First season, 6 games so far all L2 and piss pot trophy.
    Fingers crossed he's that rare breed: competent, confident and humble.  Breath not held

Hopefully the referee will favour the away side, but every penalty he has given so far has been against the away side. 
    In which case Williams needs to play and use his Palace penalty winning training 
    Has Williams ever won a penalty for us? He usually falls over in the centre circle or our own half!
    Not sure the stats would bear that out. Average would be ten yards outside their penalty area I’d guess. 
    But agree he needs to get in the box much more, like he did for Wales. 
  • Options
    Washington’s press will cause mistakes for any team in this league. For me that’s a good reason to play him in a front 3. If we have two up some Smyth is the better option. Bogle and Aneke will always rotate for now as they have no fitness.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Williams, Fosu, Aribo, Lookman, and Tony Watt on a good day (he had a few) needed to get the ball nearer to the opposition's area: it's not rocket science.
    Williams bring fouled on the half way line seems a waste compared to on the edge or in the penalty area.

• Options
    I feel it's just a missed opportunity with Williams in not using a player while they are in their mini purple patch, but I guess its a fight for a spot between Doughty and Shinnie for his role in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I feel it's just a missed opportunity with Williams in not using a player while they are in their mini purple patch, but I guess its a fight for a spot between Doughty and Shinnie for his role in the team.
    He will start today
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He will start today
    I think he will start today. Bowyer said he came back from Wales with a knock and wasn’t fit to start. I think we’d have seen him off the bench against Blackpool if Purrington hadn’t have been sent off. 

I reckon we’ve got a couple more games of Watson and Pratley which is fine. After the next international break, I’d like us to go a bit more attacking.

While we’re on this run of Saturday/Tuesday and the only training they can do is on shape, I would rather Bowyer plays the players he trusts and knows what he’ll get to do the job.

Tuesday was an improvement on Saturday and I’d like to see another small improvement again. Any win would be great by me.
  • Options
    I'd like to see how Smyth gets on alongside Bogle. Washington struggled a bit playing with him, but that may have been due to the early sending off.

Good to have some options though.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    He will start today
    I think he will start today. Bowyer said he came back from Wales with a knock and wasn’t fit to start. I think we’d have seen him off the bench against Blackpool if Purrington hadn’t have been sent off. 

I reckon we’ve got a couple more games of Watson and Pratley which is fine. After the next international break, I’d like us to go a bit more attacking.

While we’re on this run of Saturday/Tuesday and the only training they can do is on shape, I would rather Bowyer plays the players he trusts and knows what he’ll get to do the job.

Tuesday was an improvement on Saturday and I’d like to see another small improvement again. Any win would be great by me.
    Great way to describe Bowyer's team selections at the moment

As Sandgaard has said of late, lets get to January in the mix and we can go from there as thats when we're pretty much back to playing once a week
  • Options
    Some Cobblers pre match views and build up if anyone's interested 
    http://www.smfserver.com/forums/thehotelend/index.php/topic,19697.0.html
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r, although JFC excelled in the role you've selected JW in for, so will need to deliver. Doughty looks dropped mind?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Cafc43v3r, although JFC excelled in the role you've selected JW in for, so will need to deliver. Doughty looks dropped mind?
    Rested, you can't play the same players every game, else we would only need 14.

Bring him and Bogle on for Chuks and Williams after an hour, when we are 2 up, and pick them off on the break :-) 
  • Options
    Weirdly confident about this one.

Fancy 0-2 with Smudger Smiff getting off the mark for us. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Rested, you can't play the same players every game, else we would only need 14.

Bring him and Bogle on for Chuks and Williams after an hour, when we are 2 up, and pick them off on the break :-) 
    I agree with the lineup, let him get over his head knock too and be used as a pacy sub if need be. We have a nicely balanced squad at the moment, and are setup for four forwards to impose themselves and make themselves a regular.