Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Northampton v Charlton |24th October 2020

Comments

• Options
    From one extreme to another.....an overly defensive midfield now becomes one that appears to a banzai all-out-attack job.

Should be a lively game!

P.S How many times will JW be fouled this game do you think?  I'll start the bidding at twenty!
  • Options
    Aneke has started 4 of the 58 games that we've played since he joined the Club and scored just 3 goals.

I think we know why LB suggested he might not get 20 goals this season!
    Aneke played 40 games, scoring 19 goals, for MKD the season before joining Charlton.

• Options
    Puzzled why we picked 2 experienced defensive midfielders (and the more experienced Purrington at LB) on Tuesday, yet have gone for neither tonight. Pratley only played half the match on Tuesday as well, so shouldn't be tired

A very progressive midfield, a lot depends on Levitt sitting back to provide cover to the back 4, as it would be waste for JFC to be stuck doing the defensive duties
    I would guess Bows has Tuesdays fixture with Oxford in mind as well. 
    But it's not as if Tuesday is the crunch, tough fixture in which we have to play our "best" team, as Pompey next Saturday is the harder match
  • Options
    I suspect Bowyer sees this game as easier than Oxford, so would rather make sure Watson does not miss Tuesday through suspension. He thinks we can win this game through attacking  early and bring Pratley on when we have gone ahead to shut the game down in midfield.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Aneke has started 4 of the 58 games that we've played since he joined the Club and scored just 3 goals.

Aneke played 40 games, scoring 19 goals, for MKD the season before joining Charlton.

The only full season in his whole career
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    Someone like Aneke, who has barely averaged 20 games a season in his career, is not at the age of 27 going to become a reliable player.
    It's what can happen to any player who's not match fit. easily done when you've over stretched.

Why would he not be match fit?
    He never will be again. I don't know what's happened to make him this way but Chuks has become someone who has to be carefully managed through and between games because it seems that any part of him can ping off at any time. It's frustrating but I don't think he'll ever be a player you can rely on to be consistently part of the first team
    How many times have we had this scenario regarding players
    breaking down after injury too early, or continuously seeming
    to get injuries far too easily.
    Remember last season there was talk around a possible problem
    with fitness regime, and treatment, I don't know, but it does seem
    to be rearing it's head again already this season

• Options
    I agree that JFC is better in a more advanced position.
  • Options
    near total change in midfield, let's hope it works
  • Options
    Puzzled why we picked 2 experienced defensive midfielders (and the more experienced Purrington at LB) on Tuesday, yet have gone for neither tonight. Pratley only played half the match on Tuesday as well, so shouldn't be tired

A very progressive midfield, a lot depends on Levitt sitting back to provide cover to the back 4, as it would be waste for JFC to be stuck doing the defensive duties
    I would guess Bows has Tuesdays fixture with Oxford in mind as well. 
    But it's not as if Tuesday is the crunch, tough fixture in which we have to play our "best" team, as Pompey next Saturday is the harder match
    I reckon they'll be as hard as each other; dont forget that Oxford were third until the PPG last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    Someone like Aneke, who has barely averaged 20 games a season in his career, is not at the age of 27 going to become a reliable player.
    It's what can happen to any player who's not match fit. easily done when you've over stretched.

Because he's always injured?
    Play them in too many games, they can pick up injuries. If they haven't played enough, they can pick up injuries.I don't buy it mate. They're either injury prone or not. Aneke is a decent player, but he will always miss too many games.
  • Options
    Was planning on giving this a miss and getting Tuesday night's game.

I've wilted and will get both.

Come on you reds!!
  • Options
    Think in this division you need a Watson or Pratley in the middle otherwise our lightweight midfield will be bullied but don't think Northampton are an Accrington type of side.
  • Options
    On 1-0 and 1-0 Maddison fgs... Coyr! 
  • Options
    Maatsen masterclass incoming.
    Hope you are correct..

I must be one of the few Charlton fans to have seen this Maatsen play.

Just over 3years ago he was playing left wing against Germany for the Dutch under 15s.

The guy is young and up and coming but is still a boy in the old 3rd division. Tough league.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:

He never will be again. I don't know what's happened to make him this way but Chuks has become someone who has to be carefully managed through and between games because it seems that any part of him can ping off at any time. It's frustrating but I don't think he'll ever be a player you can rely on to be consistently part of the first team
    How many times have we had this scenario regarding players
    breaking down after injury too early, or continuously seeming
    to get injuries far too easily.
    Remember last season there was talk around a possible problem
    with fitness regime, and treatment, I don't know, but it does seem
    to be rearing it's head again already this season

It's the legacy of Roland more than anything else. His underfunding of the squad led to us needing to bring in eitherplayers who were struggling to get deals due to past fitness issues like Matthews, Williams, Kayal etc or players who had been out of contract all summer and never had a pre-season; they all were available to us without other competition because of a patchy injury record and lack of current fitness. We're seeing that again a bit with our late lifting of the embargo but hopefully in future we'll be less affected by it
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:

Play them in too many games, they can pick up injuries. If they haven't played enough, they can pick up injuries.I don't buy it mate. They're either injury prone or not. Aneke is a decent player, but he will always miss too many games.
    I'm agreeing with you.

Some players never seem to get injured. Others are injured all the time. Some just seem to constantly pick up knocks and are always trying to pick up match fitness. Aneke is in the last category.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Southbank said:
    Oggy Red said:

Er, no. Unless you want to re-write history.

Aneke has played:

38 games for Crewe 2012-13 (on loan as a young Arsenal player)
    44 games for Crewe 2013-14

30 games for Zulte Waregem 2014-15 (JBelgium Juniper Pro League)
    11 games for Zulte Waregem 2015-16 before bad injury sidelined him for 12 months

18 games for MKD 2016-17
    35 games for MKD 2017-18
    41 games for MKD 2018-19

There was1 single long term injury at Zulte in Belgium 5 years ago, befor joining Charlton and getting broken by the intensity of Bowyers training sessions. :neutral:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not enough strength up front without Chuks
  • Options
    Just bought the stream. Hoping the line up means we will be positive. Didn’t want to know my credit card so had to pay by PayPal. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:

I think it's only Williams and Chuks who are injury prone now. The last 2 seasons we have had some proper freak injuries then, due to that, players started getting injured because they had to play "in the red". 
  • Options
    Thing is. Are we doing all we can to prevent these injuries?

Probably not due to the piss poor support Bowyer has received from past owners.

Marginal gains will be huge in a wage capped league. I'm sure TS is aware and is looking to improve things.
  • Options
    Just managed to get my gas and electric meter readings in, now bring on the footie!!
  • Options
    Maatsen masterclass incoming.
    Hope you are correct..

I must be one of the few Charlton fans to have seen this Maatsen play.

Just over 3years ago he was playing left wing against Germany for the Dutch under 15s.

The guy is young and up and coming but is still a boy in the old 3rd division. Tough league.

Other than all the Charlton fans who watched him play for Charlton on Tuesday 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    Oggy Red said:

Er, no. Unless you want to re-write history.

Aneke has played:

38 games for Crewe 2012-13 (on loan as a young Arsenal player)
    44 games for Crewe 2013-14

30 games for Zulte Waregem 2014-15 (JBelgium Juniper Pro League)
    11 games for Zulte Waregem 2015-16 before bad injury sidelined him for 12 months

18 games for MKD 2016-17
    35 games for MKD 2017-18
    41 games for MKD 2018-19

There was1 single long term injury at Zulte in Belgium 5 years ago, befor joining Charlton and getting broken by the intensity of Bowyers training sessions. :neutral:

You are including sub appearances. I meant starts.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    The Charlton formation according to Fotmob

They've got bogle as a central defender?
    At least that was the only mistake they made
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!