Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Tees RIP

Comments

• Options
    Never to be forgotten, he and Ray Treacy got us SOOOO close to promotion back in the mid 1960s .. R I P
  • Options
    I could swear he actually had wings, never seen anyone get up higher than Matt......I would estimate he could jump two feet vertically from a standing start and up to four feet from a running jump.
    Never saw him take a penalty but I am sure he would have run at the ball, dived, and headed it past a startled keeper had he been asked to take one.
    Often covered in blood and bandages on his head. He wore top set dentures as he had so many teeth knocked out over the years but used to take them out when on the pitch. It was funny to see his huge gammy smile whenever he scored.
    What a warrior, he gave the impression that he would happily throw his head at a brick wall to get to the ball and who knows......as a kid he may well have done.
    Much loved and admired by one and all, he was certainly a very unique player.

RIP......Old fella.....RIP.
  • Options
    One of those names from before my Charlton watching life that you recall throughout the years .
    RIP 
  • Options
    Very sad news, one of my boyhood heroes always gave everything.

RIP Matt
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

A fine picture of Paul Went ... who played with Tees.

Keith Peacock and Ray Treacy look on, and Alan Campbell and Bob Curtis catch up with play.
    Paul Went?
    Yes ... Paul Went.  Not Tees ... despite what the Internet and an Australian jigsaw puzzle manufacturer would have you believe.
  • Options
    Before my time but one of those names you know.
    Lovely reading other’s memories of him.
    May he RIP.
    Much love to his family and friends ❤️
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

Keith Peacock and Ray Treacy look on, and Alan Campbell and Bob Curtis catch up with play.
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

• Options
    Was obviously one of my uncles favourite players, RIP -

And cue a message from Henry in 3...2...1...
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

Paul Went?
    Yes ... Paul Went.  Not Tees ... despite what the Internet and an Australian jigsaw puzzle manufacturer would have you believe.
    Ah right I'm with you.
    It's Went not Tees heading the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

Paul Went?
    Ah right I'm with you.
    It's Went not Tees heading the ball.
    Correct.
  • Options
    Think we wore the white shirts, red shorts in the 68/69 home cup game against Corydon's finest.
    Not sure if that was a 3rd round tie or we beat another team in the 3rd round.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves
    Gregory TEES Treacy Moore Peacock 
    That team had everything - the bravery of Charlie Wright, the dead ball accuracy of Bob Curtis, the brick wall that was Paul Went, Peter Reeves' reading of the game, the cultured full back that was Brian Kinsey, the barrel chested enforcer that was Graham Moore, the  midfield runner Alan Campbell, the trickery of Keith Peacock, "Harry, Harry Gregory, Harry Gregory on the wing", the cool finishing of Ray Treacy and lastly, but certainly not least, the aerial ability of Matt Tees.

RIP Matt
    Alan Campbell was my other favourite player back then. I remember reading that he came from Arbroath in Scotland and to this day I always look for their results.
  • Options
    Sorry to read this. That 1968-9 team was my favourite as a small boy, not least because it was successful after some very mediocre years, but also because they played some good stuff. Matt Tees and Graham Moore were my favourite players; so sad we’ve now lost them both.
  • Options
    RIP Matt. Part of my favourite Charlton team - 68/69.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    seth plum said:

Well this is all rather curious Seth?
    I can only think that the guy in white is Paul Went when playing for Orient......Charlton would have been in the dark shirts.
    Just seen this has already been dealt with.

• Options
    RIP Matt...i was only a bairn when i saw him play but dad said he was an awesome CF.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    seth plum said:

I can only think that the guy in white is Paul Went when playing for Orient......Charlton would have been in the dark shirts.

It is reported to be from the FA Cup ties with Crystal Palace.
    0-0 I believe, and we won the replay 2-0 at Selhurst (I feel sure you remember).
    I think there was shirt shade change allowed because it was the FA Cup.
    Peacock is clearly in the picture facing the action in the air.
    The other pictures show what a prodigious leap he had.
    The only player since to come close to leaping ability was I believe Lawrie Madden. 

Anyway Matt Tees was a true great Charlton player.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP just a model footballer - very sad news 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

We're in white - Paul Went is jumping for the ball, Keith Peacock is on the far left as we look and Ray Treacy is between them. At the very back is Bob Cutis and hidden all bar his head is Alan Campbell
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It's definitely us in the white shirts, can't think why though. Treacy, Curtis & Campbell in view.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We're in white - Paul Went is jumping for the ball, Keith Peacock is on the far left as we look and Ray Treacy is between them. At the very back is Bob Cutis and hidden all bar his head is Alan Campbell

If only I'd said that.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We played Palarse in 3rd round.Drew 0-0 over 30,000 crowd.Played in White.Famous white programme that day .Think it was 2 shillings and 6pence- 12.5p in new money.Won the replay 2-0 Ray Treacy got both goals RIP.RIP Matt. You and the rest of that 68/69 were all my heroes.Happy days
    That was in the era when us, Millwall and Palace seemed to be in the second division (now Champ of course) for season after season and we all had some very fierce scraps (on and off the field)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    One of my favourite players from my favourite team. Met Matt on a couple of occasions and he was a humble man. One of the best headers of the ball I have seen. When he climbed to head the ball it was if he was suspended. RIP
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

If only I'd said that.
    Looking back I think you did!

Some players you just know from as much the way they stand especially if you can't really see their face. Bob Curtis was one of those with that distinctive bow legged gait. 

• Options
    Thanks for the memories, Matt. 
    Rest in Peace. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Was obviously one of my uncles favourite players, RIP -

And cue a message from Henry in 3...2...1...
    I asked ages ago but @i_b_b_o_r_g snubbed the museum.