Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Tees RIP

Comments

• Options
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves
    Gregory TEES Treacy Moore Peacock 
    Same for me except in my memory Hince replaces Gregory ? not sure if getting mixed up ?

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I loved that 1968/9 "nearly" side under Eddie Firmani.

All great players, but I had a special affection for Matt.

Brave as a lion and as others have said a great header of the ball.

RIP Matt, I'm sure you'll be meeting again Bob (Curtis), Paul (Went) and Ray (Treacy) again.
    Johnny Keirs, as well.

Of course, Keirs, that wonderful playmaker Graham Moore and "Harry Boy"
    Apologies.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    The 1968/69 team.

Charlton v Hull City - 16 Nov 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA&list=PLC0A81562AF01E5DA&index=8

The Hull City front three (Wagstaff, Chilton and Butler) were prolific that year.

This was also the Bob Curtis 'blond' period.

I apologise for the unhappy ending.
    Really enjoyed that,people often say that todays game is a lot faster than the old days,well,after watching that i totally do not agree,also hardly a sideways or backwards pass in the whole game,what players we had,Campbell was superb.
  • Options
    One of my hero's, as others have said his heading ability was superb.
    He was prepared to put his body on the line for Charlton.

Gone but not forgotten.

Yes, gone but not forgotten.
    RIP Matt
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    The 1968/69 team.

Charlton v Hull City - 16 Nov 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA&list=PLC0A81562AF01E5DA&index=8

The Hull City front three (Wagstaff, Chilton and Butler) were prolific that year.

This was also the Bob Curtis 'blond' period.

I apologise for the unhappy ending.
    Really enjoyed that,people often say that todays game is a lot faster than the old days,well,after watching that i totally do not agree,also hardly a sideways or backwards pass in the whole game,what players we had,Campbell was superb.
    It was faster in the sense that there was no fear about losing possession. Football has become like a game of chess now - one wrong move and you might concede. It was, for that reason, far more entertaining in those days. That said, footballers are more athletic and stronger nowadays as more emphasis is put on strength and conditioning. 

Great to see out old sponge man, Charlie Hall, running on. And there is another difference. When players were injured, they were injured. I'm not saying there wasn't time wasting but it certainly didn't go on to the degree it does nowadays. The constant break in the flow of the game and it's the little things that are so annoying. Like the keeper catching the ball unchallenged and then falling to the floor for another 10 seconds or so.
  • Options
    One of my favorite players, talented and brave in the box. Probably the best header of a football that I have seen, was able to jump higher than most even though he always looked like he was in need of a good meal as he was so thin (5 ft 10 and 10 stone 4). Strange that two of our best ever strikers in recent times (Matt and Clive Mendonca) both came from Grimsby FC) along with goalkeeper Charlie Wright. Remember he was featured in a documentary I think with Alan Shearer about the effects of heading a football and dementia for which he was diagnosed as suffering from. RIP Matt.
  • Options

"Give Tees a Chance" - nice one, I'd forgotten that. So, whilst on a Lennon theme "Imagine" we had not sold Billy Bonds in May 67 or Lenny Glover in Oct 67 - we would have skated the Second Division in 68/69. As for Coventry, JH was simply the biggest hypocrite in football. Lastly, for the Derby game Colin Cameron notes that MT was booked in the 88th minute for a foul on Roy McFarland - blimey!!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves
    Same for me except in my memory Hince replaces Gregory ? not sure if getting mixed up ?

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.
    It was more usually Harry Gregory. 

Paul Hince only played about 20 games for us.  He is seen earlier in this thread (page 2) wearing the No. 7 shirt in the picture of Matt Tees clattering into the 'keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad news. RIP Matt , scored the very first goal I saw scored by Charlton at The Valley , at my first attendance.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

Paul Hince only played about 20 games for us.  He is seen earlier in this thread (page 2) wearing the No. 7 shirt in the picture of Matt Tees clattering into the 'keeper.
    As far as I remember Hince played more the previous season, 67/68. Kenning had gone and Hince initially was his replacement in competition with another winger Derek Woodley. Neither really established themselves.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

As far as I remember Hince played more the previous season, 67/68. Kenning had gone and Hince initially was his replacement in competition with another winger Derek Woodley. Neither really established themselves.
    Just checked the records, Len, and it looks like Hince played only in the 68/69 season.  I also remember Woodley as a left winger, whereas Kenning and Hince both played right.

Didn't Keith Peacock play right wing for a time?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

of course...don.t know why I forgot Harry Gregory...another legend
    along-side Tees & Tracey...thanks
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

Just checked the records, Len, and it looks like Hince played only in the 68/69 season.  I also remember Woodley as a left winger, whereas Kenning and Hince both played right.

I thought Derek Woodley played on the right wing as well. What has surprised me is that Derek Woodley only played three games for Charlton. Instinctively, I would have said 20 or more. Strange how the mind plays tricks.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the goal that Matt Tees scored where someone sent a long ball out of defence and Matt was chasing a ball that landed, I would guess, about halfway into the opposition's half? The keeper rushed out, got there first and thundered the ball against Matt's knees into the net from well outside the box for a somewhat lucky goal. I can recall more laughter in the crowd than cheering. As for the opposition, I really can't remember nor can I remember how important the goal was or wasn't.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

That might have been when Mike Flanagan first got in the side. Flash started as a left winger and was only converted to a centre forward later on.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

of course...don.t know why I forgot Harry Gregory...another legend
    along-side Tees & Tracey...thanks
    Sadly, all three no longer with us.
  • Options
    Loved watching that game between us and Hull, I was there (as a young 13yr old), what a team that was!! Matt Tees was one of my favourite players at the time. Curtis being my favourite of the day.
    RIP Matt, my condolences to his family and friends. God bless you sir. 
  • Options

In case of interest I have bumped an old thread.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves

RIP Matt
    Childhood Hero.

First game I saw was Huddersfield. February 1968. Think it was Hince’s first game. 
  • Options
    Remember his runs into the box and you knew he was going to get a nudge. Don't do it, too late penalty given.
    I remember a lacklustre display in the cup against Arsenal, which we lost 2-0.
    Not by him though, he virtually won every header against Ian Ure who was several inches taller.
  • Options
    Charlton are the greatest team the world has ever seen
    we have Charlie Wright, Matt Tees and even Rodney Green

RIP Matt. 
  • Options
    As we have digressed a little, let me just add another 'missing winger' from the period in question ... Jimmy Mullen.

Another who didn't establish himself with us.  He then left for a decent career at Rotherham.
  • Options
    I'm another Addick whose first proper season was 68/69, Ray Treacy and Graham Moore were my two favourites, but Matt wasn't far behind because of that fantastic partnership up front. At our best we were the best team in the Second Division that season, but we weren't consistent enough and drew too many games. Very happy days with those matches against Palace and Derby already mentioned. RIP Matt.
  • Options
    What a good player Matt was for us, incredible in the air.  We really missed him when we let him go, his partnership with Ray Treacy was brilliant.

All Charlton fans agree on what a terrific player you were, no debate ever needed.

RIP Matt.  
  • Options
    Loved watching that old MOTD coverage. It's easy to forget how good some of the players were - Bob Cutis, Paul Went, Peter Reeves, Alan Campbell, Keithy Peacock, Ray Treacy - along with Matt Tees of course - all quality. Great to see the Valley as it was then; that huge South Terrace with Charlton fans behind that goal too, people wandering all around the ground, the bloke selling tea near the touchline, the old songs from the Covered End. And some of the challenges that went in then! Would have been yellow and red cards galore these days. Magic.
  • Options
    Matt Tees was the best header of the ball I have seen during my 62 years supporting the Addicks. If I remember correctly, Matt was Charlie Wright's brother in law, and so my condolences to Charlie as well as to friends and family of a true Charlton legend.
    Couldn't agree more. I seem to recall Matt playing a blinder against Arsenal at Highbury in the FA cup. Can't remember the result but Charlton were on top for large parts of that game!