Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Tees RIP

Comments

• Options
    R.I.P. Matt  . Another Charlton legend gone  .
  • Options
    Sad news. Never saw Matt play for us myself unfortunately but one of those that is never forgotten by those that did have the pleasure. 

Thoughts and best wishes to his friends and family tonight. 
  • Options
    RIP Matt. Had the privilege of delivering his daily paper when he lived in Zangwill Road (off Shooters Hill) when I was a paper boy and Matt was in the first great Charlton team I saw. Still getting over coming third in 68/69. Thanks for great memories and sympathies to his family,friends and teammates
  • Options
    Like so many others who can remember watching in the late 60’s he was one of my early heroes. My greatest memory of him are the the two home games on consecutive days, Good Friday  and Easter Saturday 1969. We were playing two rivals for promotion. On the Friday he opened the scoring against Cardiff with a header and scored another in a 4-1 win. The next day he opened the scoring with a header in a 2-0 win. I was convinced we were going up to the First Division. Alas it was not to be and Palace got the other promotion place behind Brian Clough’s Derby. 

RIP Matt.
  • Options
    Matt Tees was the best header of the ball I have seen during my 62 years supporting the Addicks. If I remember correctly, Matt was Charlie Wright's brother in law, and so my condolences to Charlie as well as to friends and family of a true Charlton legend.
  • Options
    RIP Matt. My childhood hero.

• Options

RIP

• Options
    Cracking player, loved him as a kid. RIP
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Was obviously one of my uncles favourite players, RIP -

And cue a message from Henry in 3...2...1...
    I asked ages ago but @i_b_b_o_r_g snubbed the museum.
    Lol No doubt it'll end up coming my way at some point in the future and it'll my pleasure for the museum to have it.
  • Options
    One of my 1st ever Charlton heroes. 
    And without the best header of a ball  j have ever seen .
    Gutted. 
    Rip  a true Charlton legend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Matt.
  • Options
    Never forget his amazing timing of his headers as  he ran in from the corner of the box to meet dead ball kicks.Part of one of the most entertaining reams we have ever had,just loved watching him,never forgotten,legend.
  • Options
    TN15 said:
    RIP Matt. Part of my favourite Charlton team - 68/69.
    same here RIP Matt
  • Options
    Matt hit the post with a second half header in the 4th round cup-tie against Arsenal at Highbury in 1969. ( We had knocked Palace in the 3rd round. ) Highlights of that Highbury game were shown on The Big Match on the Sunday. I haven’t seen any of that footage since. Does anyone know if there is a copy of it anywhere to be found?
  • Options
    Think we wore the white shirts, red shorts in the 68/69 home cup game against Corydon's finest.
    Not sure if that was a 3rd round tie or we beat another team in the 3rd round.
    In 68/69 we drew 0-0 in the 3rd round with Crystal Palace before beating them 2-0 in the replay at Shithurst. 
  • Options
    I loved that 1968/9 "nearly" side under Eddie Firmani.

All great players, but I had a special affection for Matt.

Brave as a lion and as others have said a great header of the ball.

RIP Matt, I'm sure you'll be meeting again Bob (Curtis), Paul (Went) and Ray (Treacy) again.
    Johnny Keirs, as well.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I loved that 1968/9 "nearly" side under Eddie Firmani.

All great players, but I had a special affection for Matt.

Brave as a lion and as others have said a great header of the ball.

RIP Matt, I'm sure you'll be meeting again Bob (Curtis), Paul (Went) and Ray (Treacy) again.
    Johnny Keirs, as well.

Not forgetting Graham Moore and Harry Gregory.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:

A fine picture of Paul Went ... who played with Tees.

Keith Peacock and Ray Treacy look on, and Alan Campbell and Bob Curtis catch up with play.
    Yes, the No. 5 on his shorts kind of confirms it isn’t Matt Tees. 
  • Options
    One of my first Charlton heroes, I think it was him who scored in the first game I went to, mind you I missed it as I was still queuing outside!

Its a long time ago now, but I remember thinking how he looked almost frail compared to the hulking monsters who made up the corps of centre halves in those days. For all that, he seemed to throw himself in where others feared to tread, him and Ray Treacy were a quality combination.

RIP Matt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Matt was my dads Charlton hero, he often compared others unfavourably to him as I grew up, he spoke of his heading ability, a game when Coventry kicked us off the park at the Valley and the cup run away at Palace before taking over the North Bank Highbury. 

When @Henry Irving and I were lucky enough to meet Matt a few years ago to interview him for the museum, he spoke so fondly of his time with us. 
    I remember he had the newspaper photo of the team sat on a gun at the Tower of London taken before the Arsenal game framed, pride of place in his toilet!

We will treasures the precious momentoes he gifted the museum from the the tournament we played in Italy. 
  • Options
    One of my hero's, as others have said his heading ability was superb.
    He was prepared to put his body on the line for Charlton.

Gone but not forgotten.
  • Options
    Len Glover said: In 68/69 we drew 0-0 in the 3rd round with Crystal Palace before beating them 2-0 in the replay at Shithurst Many thanks Len for putting the old memory straight. RIP Matt, a memorable player in a memorable team.
  • Options
    RIP Matt, one of the best and bravest headers of the ball I have ever seen.

As others have said, gone but never forgotten.
  • Options
    RIP Matt
  • Options
    Matt Tees never looked like the sort of forward a defence would be afraid of  . . .  but wow could he head a ball. RIP Matt.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Well this is all rather curious Seth?
    I can only think that the guy in white is Paul Went when playing for Orient......Charlton would have been in the dark shirts.
    Just seen this has already been dealt with.

No 8 looks like Ray Treacy but why would  we be in white shirts at home. In those days Leyton Orient played in blue shirts and white shorts so would not have had to change shirts.
    It is the game against Palace in the 3rd of the cup in 1969. We wore the same white shirts and red shorts in the away league game at Palace that season.
  • Options
    The 1968/69 team.

Charlton v Hull City - 16 Nov 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA&list=PLC0A81562AF01E5DA&index=8

The Hull City front three (Wagstaff, Chilton and Butler) were prolific that year.

This was also the Bob Curtis 'blond' period.

I apologise for the unhappy ending.
  • Options

To fill in a few more details ....

His third game for us, in Feb 67, was against a brutal Coventry team. At full speed the apelike George Curtis shoved MT into the dug-out. It was a horrifying moment and it crossed my mind that his Charlton career was likely over already, having barely started. I should have had more faith. Unbelievably MT re-appeared on the pitch, albeit at a rather gingerly trot, and after a few minutes of limping around he just got on with the game,. actually finishing the match. That day Coventry were every bit the equal of Rattin's infamous Wembley Argies the year before.

The 1968/69 Addicks remain beloved to this day, and worthily so. They were not just pretty good players but they were also characters. We had been starved of a decent team for years - the only thing in plentiful and regular supply were relegation battles. Well, the talented group of 68/69 at last gave us consistent and stylish football, and for a few weeks in Jan/Feb 69 we had three absolute worldies to savour. In the FAC3 replay at Selhurst Charlie Wright's long punt downfield was perfectly nodded on by MT and at full stretch and top speed from 20 yards was lashed in on the volley by Ray Treacy. Ten days later Derby came to The Valley for a table-topper and were bystanders for a goal from Treacy that is arguably one of the best Charlton ever scored. MT followed this up with a second goal, a glancing header which hit the inside of the post and trickled along the goal line until the blustery wind blew it into the net. A week later an unsuccessful foray to Highbury for FAC4 was nonetheless a personal triumph for Matt, who got much the better of Arsenal's Ian Ure. Lastly, a visit to Fulham on 15 Feb brought a precise replica of the Selhurst goal.

Unforgettable days in which Matt played a major part. How his spindly frame withstood the inevitable assaults of his opponents remains a mystery - he would just stagger to his feet like a new-born foal and carry on. Or if you prefer, a deckchair caught in a gale. His aerial prowess was second to none, and in my view fully the equal of his famous compatriot Alan Gilzean. As for Addicks I would make a shortlist of Ronnie Saunders, Yann, Shaun Bartlett, Leeeabuurn and the spring-heeled Chris Perry.

RIP Matt and deepest condolences to his family.

Remember all those games like yesterday,stood on the mud bank over at Selhurst in the pissing rain,Matt and Ray Treacy were different class.Brian Clough brought his fine Derby side to the Valley,Dave Mackay included and they got a lesson,Matt was superb.Glad you mentioned Coventry,people have this fairy tale opinion of them ,but they were cheating brutes,with Curtis the worst of the lot,I do think he helped finish a lad called Tony Green of Blackpool with a similar assault to the one on Tees.Looking at that team we had,two of the best crossers we have seen,Gregory and Peacock,Alan Campbell was in a class of his own,tragic he left us for Birmingham.Just wish we could have got up that year,but nevertheless,great memories.Used to drink after the game in The Oak near blackheath Standard,always amazed me how Bob Curtis usually got there before us.
  • Options
    RIP Matt