Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Tees RIP

Comments

• Options
    Bods64 said:
    Matt Tees was the best header of the ball I have seen during my 62 years supporting the Addicks. If I remember correctly, Matt was Charlie Wright's brother in law, and so my condolences to Charlie as well as to friends and family of a true Charlton legend.
    Couldn't agree more. I seem to recall Matt playing a blinder against Arsenal at Highbury in the FA cup. Can't remember the result but Charlton were on top for large parts of that game!
    We did lose 2-0,but no disgrace,Jimmy Mullen almost scored with a blinding shot on the run,we did ok until Sammels hit one first time from 20 yards that nearly decapitated Charlie Wright.Matt took Ure to the Cleaners.
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    Matt Tees was the best header of the ball I have seen during my 62 years supporting the Addicks. If I remember correctly, Matt was Charlie Wright's brother in law, and so my condolences to Charlie as well as to friends and family of a true Charlton legend.
    Couldn't agree more. I seem to recall Matt playing a blinder against Arsenal at Highbury in the FA cup. Can't remember the result but Charlton were on top for large parts of that game!
    We did lose 2-0,but no disgrace,Jimmy Mullen almost scored with a blinding shot on the run,we did ok until Sammels hit one first time from 20 yards that nearly decapitated Charlie Wright.Matt took Ure to the Cleaners.
    Thanks T&T. Yeah I had a feeling we lost that one was a great atmosphere and game though! Any idea what year? There was a programme on TV some time ago that featured Matt in a documentary about possible brain injuries resulting from  heading balls. Matt's wife was featured in the documentary and sadly Matt was suffering from dementia. RIP lovely man.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure at the Arsenal v Charlton cup tie that we lost 2-0.
    Charlton fans took over the North Bank, please correct me if I am wrong.
    As was standing at the clock end for that game! Was a great game
    we were so unlucky!
  • Options
    we were so unlucky!

I remember our song to this day "We took the North Bank, we took the North Bank, we took the North Bank High-bury"

Happy, happy days.

Huge turnout of Addicks fans, estimated 10-12,000.
  • Options
    Bertie Mee said to Bill Shank lee
    Have you ever heard of the High ber ree?
    Shanks said no, I don't think so
    But I've heard of the Charlton ag row
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
  • Options
    we were so unlucky!
    Oh yes I remember that day, one of the few matches my dad accompanied me to.
    Great memories.  
  • Options
    Wow, beautiful words from our older fans. Just before my time but sometimes it feels like I was there as the pictures of the ground are so familiar.
    A great player of a great club.
    RIP Mr Tees.
  • Options

To fill in a few more details ....

His third game for us, in Feb 67, was against a brutal Coventry team. At full speed the apelike George Curtis shoved MT into the dug-out. It was a horrifying moment and it crossed my mind that his Charlton career was likely over already, having barely started. I should have had more faith. Unbelievably MT re-appeared on the pitch, albeit at a rather gingerly trot, and after a few minutes of limping around he just got on with the game,. actually finishing the match. That day Coventry were every bit the equal of Rattin's infamous Wembley Argies the year before.

The 1968/69 Addicks remain beloved to this day, and worthily so. They were not just pretty good players but they were also characters. We had been starved of a decent team for years - the only thing in plentiful and regular supply were relegation battles. Well, the talented group of 68/69 at last gave us consistent and stylish football, and for a few weeks in Jan/Feb 69 we had three absolute worldies to savour. In the FAC3 replay at Selhurst Charlie Wright's long punt downfield was perfectly nodded on by MT and at full stretch and top speed from 20 yards was lashed in on the volley by Ray Treacy. Ten days later Derby came to The Valley for a table-topper and were bystanders for a goal from Treacy that is arguably one of the best Charlton ever scored. MT followed this up with a second goal, a glancing header which hit the inside of the post and trickled along the goal line until the blustery wind blew it into the net. A week later an unsuccessful foray to Highbury for FAC4 was nonetheless a personal triumph for Matt, who got much the better of Arsenal's Ian Ure. Lastly, a visit to Fulham on 15 Feb brought a precise replica of the Selhurst goal.

Unforgettable days in which Matt played a major part. How his spindly frame withstood the inevitable assaults of his opponents remains a mystery - he would just stagger to his feet like a new-born foal and carry on. Or if you prefer, a deckchair caught in a gale. His aerial prowess was second to none, and in my view fully the equal of his famous compatriot Alan Gilzean. As for Addicks I would make a shortlist of Ronnie Saunders, Yann, Shaun Bartlett, Leeeabuurn and the spring-heeled Chris Perry.

RIP Matt and deepest condolences to his family.

Remember all those games like yesterday,stood on the mud bank over at Selhurst in the pissing rain,Matt and Ray Treacy were different class.Brian Clough brought his fine Derby side to the Valley,Dave Mackay included and they got a lesson,Matt was superb.Glad you mentioned Coventry,people have this fairy tale opinion of them ,but they were cheating brutes,with Curtis the worst of the lot,I do think he helped finish a lad called Tony Green of Blackpool with a similar assault to the one on Tees.Looking at that team we had,two of the best crossers we have seen,Gregory and Peacock,Alan Campbell was in a class of his own,tragic he left us for Birmingham.Just wish we could have got up that year,but nevertheless,great memories.Used to drink after the game in The Oak near blackheath Standard,always amazed me how Bob Curtis usually got there before us.
    Saw him in the British Oak a few times, often sat on the barstool by the wall at the bar. 

Great memories 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we were so unlucky!

I remember our song to this day "We took the North Bank, we took the North Bank, we took the North Bank High-bury"

Happy, happy days.

Huge turnout of Addicks fans, estimated 10-12,000.
    Great day, we were so loud 
  • Options
    Could fly like a kite. Loved Matt. RIP.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves
    Gregory TEES Treacy Moore Peacock 
    Yes, that team would be one of my earliest memory’s as well. Though I’d add Keirs and Moore.  

Remember Matt as stated going up for headers and staying in the air as if defying gravity. Thanks for the memories Matt.  RIP. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I was at the Arsenal game in 1969. It wasn’t so much the Charlton fans took over the North Bank but, because it was not an all ticket game and there was no official segregation of fans, the Charlton fans arrived early and merely took up station in the North Bank. At 2.15 pm the Charlton fans probably made up 75% of the fans there. After that, the home fans arrived and by kick off they made up a significant majority of the occupants. During much of the first half there was a stream of Charlton fans being led by the police to the Clock End by walking on the track in front of the West Stand.

I do remember  (as a 12 year old ) getting on the tube, with my dad, heading northwards to Highbury and being happily surprised that it was packed liked  sardines with Charlton supporters.

• Options

Many memories of the Arsenal game have been stirred - almost 52 years on! I always preferred the Palace replay because of the stunning second goal and because we beat the Nigels - on their own mud heap. But at Highbury despite playing very well it was not quite good enough, and absent that bit of luck which always helps in the Cup we lost. That was a real disappointment, although not as painful as the 0-3 at the Boleyn in 1964.

However, there's no doubting that Highbury was an absolutely massive game. Charlton were in excellent form and scoring extraordinary goals. Just the week before we'd beaten Derby, the league leaders. There was the special rivalry with the Woolwich Rejects. The Mercury did us proud with a wonderful picture of the team perched along a huge cannon in front of the barracks, and I think this  iconic photo actually appeared in these very pages only recently. And the official attendance of 55700 - I was rather surprised it wasn't more. By comparison, when I saw Arsenal vs all-star Man Utd in Feb 68 the crowd was "only" 46100.

Thanks to our new guv'nor we can await some nice shiny new memories but in the meantime these very special old memories will do just fine, when a modest hero as seemingly robust as a clothes horse but truly with the heart of a lion can be royally honoured over a half century after some of his greatest moments. God bless, Matt.

What a very lovely and well written last paragraph- super stuff 
  • Options
    RIP a Charlton and Grimsby legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4fwckOqdM
  • Options
    Lockdown hasn't been kind to Harry Hill.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Goodness me. I'd forgotten that one. Brilliant.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Close but no cigar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Matt. Great entertaining player. Not read through all of this thread, but am I right in thinking he was related by marriage to Charlie Wright? Apologies if it's been mentioned.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    seth plum said:
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Classic up there with The Bard that one.

This one of course involves rigorous pointing, so watch your shoulders...

Over there
    OH-ver there
    And do they smell
    (appropriate clapping)
    Like Fuuuucking ell...
    (repeat)

• Options
    Matt Tees: I guess the fact that I/we named our Son Matthew was homage to my first hero at the Valley. He wasn't born until 11/12/92 (due date was 5/12/92) but decided not to call him Colin !

It's my secret but this is a good time to share. 

RIP Matt Tees, 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Classic up there with The Bard that one.

This one of course involves rigorous pointing, so watch your shoulders...

Over there
    OH-ver there
    And do they smell
    (appropriate clapping)
    Like Fuuuucking ell...
    (repeat)

It was actually sung to the tune of 'Distant Drums' by Jim Reeves.
    Our lyrics (when spotting/hearing a small cluster of away fans) were:

I hear the sound
    Of distant bums
    Over there
    Over there
    And do they smell?
    Like fecking hell
    Over there
    Over there
  • Options
    ....and who can forget the classic
    'If I had the wings of a sparrow'?
  • Options
    Followed by "if I had the arse of a crow"
  • Options
    Followed by "if I had the arse of a crow"
    I’d fly over Millwall tomorrow ... 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    RIP
    Childhood memories

Wright Curtis Kinsey 
    Campbell Went Reeves
    Gregory TEES Treacy Moore Peacock 

I just loved that team - to this day, Alan Campbell remains one of my greatest ever sporting heroes. But my late dad always reckoned that selling Matt Tees was the reason we didn't go up that year. Saw Matt Tees on the Alan Shearer documentary ... so sad, but seemed like such a lovely man, with such a loving family.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Seem to remember at that Hull City game:

W****r w****r Wolstenholme,
    W****r Wolstenholme

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Have you ever heard of the NORTH BANK High ber ree?
    LA la la la la la la la
    LA la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la
    We are the Charlton
    Boot boys.
    Think you missed a bit Seth