Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Chief resigns

Comments

• Apparently Paul Elliott our old player (criticised recently on a different matter) is the only black person on the FA board, but he isn't allowed to vote!
    I heard Henry Winter say that this evening.
  • The FA are the body in charge of referees.
    Referees who take a lead in pre game black lives matter kneeling.
  • Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

The man is a fossil, like many others around him.

All the while these types are still involved, football will never move forward.
    Greg Clarke was hopeless in his job and out of touch. You still have the moron Gordon Taylor at the PFA.

This is not about age it's about the views that are held to be acceptable in the game. 
  • Clarke knows what he's saying and how he's saying it. The idea he's an old man that doesn't know better is bullshit, as are people who hide behind their tin foil hats to excuse there either lack of intelligence or just that they are racist/homophobic and whine about PC gOnE mAd can go fuck themselves with their daily download from Spike or whatever whack a doodle libertarian site they hang about on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Just watched the ITV news and all they’ve focussed on is his use of the term ‘couloured’

Whilst his excuse for using it doesn’t really hold much water, some people who don’t know the full story of what he said might think he’s been hard done by.
    I remember back in the late 70's / early 80's that we were told that we couldn't use the word black & we had to say coloured. Sorry to say that I still find myself saying it even now so I do have some sympathy with Greg Clarke.

Edit. Just seen @eaststandmike's comments....
  • I bet a majority of the staff at the FA have been on diversity seminars, I wonder if GC attended one or was that beneath him?
  • Huskaris said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Huskaris said:
    I think the issue is there are a lot of people who are hopefully/probably not racists, who unfortunately use the same kind of language that racists/borderline racists might use. 

I am firmly of the view that there 100% are a lot of racists out there, and although you can judge people by what they say, it is how they say it, and their true feelings that define whether you are a racist or not. I didn't feel like he was trying to be offensive, in fact he also said "People can see if you're black and if they don't like black people because they are filthy racists, they can abuse you anonymously online." I heard him call racists filthy, I didn't hear him call any ethnic minorities filthy, just "coloured". A term for which you have to be educated in why it is offensive, in order to understand that it is offensive.

It shouldn't be a crime to not be au fait with what should be said, and although a lot of his comments were incredibly stupid and for that he shouldn't be at the head of such a "prestigious" organisation, there are people that use far less offensive terms that are seriously racist.
    Or - and hear me out here - you can educate yourself and try to be empathetic, rather than be indignant, should there be a backlash from minority ethnic communities about what you say?

And if he thinks it acceptable to use the term coloured in front of the DCMS, then that raises serious questions about the environment in which that rhetoric can go unchecked, or those thoughts can exist without action taken, given he is head of the FA. I have scant explanation other than casual racism is tolerated in some form at the FA.
    Or - and hear me out here - you can decide that you want to live your life, and decide that you will just not bother mixing with anyone from different racial backgrounds for fear of offending them, whilst, and this is key here, not meaning to in any way at all.

That certainly seems like the easier option to a lot of people. And they take it, and although it's not the route I go down, I don't blame anyone for doing it. 

I don't think anything he said was racist, I think the comment about homosexuality being a lifestyle choice was the really abhorrent comment from the whole thing. Everything else was just ignorant. 

I definitely think he should go, I just don't think he is a racist. 
    Given how clueless he seems to be it wouldn't be a great surprise if he was. The FA is supposedly ensuring diversity in football yet this goon who obviously has no interest in this is at the helm.

You couldn't make it up....
  • Addickted said:
    Just watched the ITV news and all they’ve focussed on is his use of the term ‘couloured’

Whilst his excuse for using it doesn’t really hold much water, some people who don’t know the full story of what he said might think he’s been hard done by.
    I remember back in the late 70's / early 80's that we were told that we couldn't use the word black & we had to say coloured. Sorry to say that I still find myself saying it even now so I do have some sympathy with Greg Clarke.

Edit. Just seen @eaststandmike's comments....
    It's not the late 70's / early 80's though
    You need to have a chat with Greg.
  • How on Earth has he been able to do his job for so long when it’s patently obvious that he’s so out of touch and prehistoric. It’s hard to believe that this is his first “slip of the tongue”. He’s gone and thank god he has. 
  • edited November 2020
    Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

If only he could have had a dig at people with disabilities he could have got the jackpot.

People defending him, have a word with yourselves.

He's not some random bloke in the golf club bar. 

He is, or was fortunately, the chair of the FA being questioned at a parliamentary select committe.

Not only has he made no effort to learn (being gay or straight isn't a "choice", Girls (sic), some of them like having balls kicked at them) he is meant to be setting an example.

He can't be excused, but some will try, with "he's 63".  He a leader of a hugely high profile national organisation. He should be a role model. He should be doing training.

Good riddance.

And if people really want to know and aren't just sealioning. People of Colour/Black are fine, Coloured isn't.

It's not hard, it's not PC gone mad, it's just common courtesy.
    I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and doesn’t 100% share your exact opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

If only he could have had a dig at people with disabilities he could have got the jackpot.

He is, or was fortunately, the chair of the FA being questioned at a parliamentary select committe.

Not only has he made no effort to learn (being gay or straight isn't a "choice", Girls (sic), some of them like having balls kicked at them) he is meant to be setting an example.

He can't be excused, but some will try, with "he's 63".  He a leader of a hugely high profile national organisation. He should be a role model. He should be doing training.

Good riddance.

And if people really want to know and aren't just sealioning. People of Colour/Black are fine, Coloured isn't.

I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and 100% shares your exact opinion. 
    I really don’t think Henry’s comment was ageist. He was commenting that at 63 he should know better and age is no excuse.
    He's certainly not ageist.
  • edited November 2020
    Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

Good riddance.

I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and 100% shares your exact opinion. 
    I really don’t think Henry’s comment was ageist. He was commenting that at 63 he should know better and age is no excuse.
    He's certainly not ageist.
    But to be fair, and for balance, he does tend to have a problem with people who don't 100% share his exact opinion ..... ad nauseam.
  • seth plum said:
    Apparently Paul Elliott our old player (criticised recently on a different matter) is the only black person on the FA board, but he isn't allowed to vote!
    I heard Henry Winter say that this evening.
    If Henry Winter is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, then that is a far more legitimate reason to criticise Greg Clarke, for those that want to, than whinging about incorrect usage of ever changing terminology.

Not correcting that form of discrimination is a gross dereliction of duty by those in charge (Clarke).
  • Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

Good riddance.

I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and doesn’t 100% share your exact opinion. 

How old do you think I am?
  • At least he resigned on the day he said all this stuff and hasn't tried to style it out.
  • seth plum said:
    At least he resigned on the day he said all this stuff and hasn't tried to style it out.

Jumped before pushed I would say
  • seth plum said:
    At least he resigned on the day he said all this stuff and hasn't tried to style it out.
    To be fair, when most decent people are picked up for making comments that others see as racist they put their hands up, admit to it and apologise for any offence caused. 

Most people. But by all means not all.