Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Chief resigns

Comments

• Huskaris said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Huskaris said:
    I think the issue is there are a lot of people who are hopefully/probably not racists, who unfortunately use the same kind of language that racists/borderline racists might use. 

I am firmly of the view that there 100% are a lot of racists out there, and although you can judge people by what they say, it is how they say it, and their true feelings that define whether you are a racist or not. I didn't feel like he was trying to be offensive, in fact he also said "People can see if you're black and if they don't like black people because they are filthy racists, they can abuse you anonymously online." I heard him call racists filthy, I didn't hear him call any ethnic minorities filthy, just "coloured". A term for which you have to be educated in why it is offensive, in order to understand that it is offensive.

It shouldn't be a crime to not be au fait with what should be said, and although a lot of his comments were incredibly stupid and for that he shouldn't be at the head of such a "prestigious" organisation, there are people that use far less offensive terms that are seriously racist.
    Or - and hear me out here - you can educate yourself and try to be empathetic, rather than be indignant, should there be a backlash from minority ethnic communities about what you say?

And if he thinks it acceptable to use the term coloured in front of the DCMS, then that raises serious questions about the environment in which that rhetoric can go unchecked, or those thoughts can exist without action taken, given he is head of the FA. I have scant explanation other than casual racism is tolerated in some form at the FA.
    Or - and hear me out here - you can decide that you want to live your life, and decide that you will just not bother mixing with anyone from different racial backgrounds for fear of offending them, whilst, and this is key here, not meaning to in any way at all.

That certainly seems like the easier option to a lot of people. And they take it, and although it's not the route I go down, I don't blame anyone for doing it. 

I don't think anything he said was racist, I think the comment about homosexuality being a lifestyle choice was the really abhorrent comment from the whole thing. Everything else was just ignorant. 

I definitely think he should go, I just don't think he is a racist. 
    What a staggering coincidence that we've employed the same first six words in these last two posts!

So I think intent can be a mitigating factor, sure. But it's not an excuse, particularly when you're in Clarke's position. And not mixing with anyone from different racial backgrounds for fear of offence seems like a disaster waiting to happen. A lack of exposure to other people and cultures will lead to insularity and, potentially, things like stereotypes developing that end up as racist.

As for whether what he said was racist - as has been raised above by both myself and others, if he thinks coloured is acceptable parlance, then what structures exist in his place of work or personal life that allow that language to be considered acceptable? Hence why I think the FA probably tolerates casual racism, and Clarke could be racist. (NB I have not actually labelled him as such.)

"Just ignorant" is not good enough: we live in a day and age where nearly all information is accessible instantly. And when you are the head of an organisation that champions diversity, using language like that, then such ignorance (and lack of malicious intent) becomes a bit irrelevant.
  • Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

If only he could have had a dig at people with disabilities he could have got the jackpot.

People defending him, have a word with yourselves.

He's not some random bloke in the golf club bar. 

He is, or was fortunately, the chair of the FA being questioned at a parliamentary select committe.

Not only has he made no effort to learn (being gay or straight isn't a "choice", Girls (sic), some of them like having balls kicked at them) he is meant to be setting an example.

He can't be excused, but some will try, with "he's 63".  He a leader of a hugely high profile national organisation. He should be a role model. He should be doing training.

Good riddance.

And if people really want to know and aren't just sealioning. People of Colour/Black are fine, Coloured isn't.

It's not hard, it's not PC gone mad, it's just common courtesy.
    I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and doesn’t 100% share your exact opinion. 

How old do you think I am?
    63 ? 
  • I vaguely remember Benedict Cumberbatch using the term coloured during a TV interview a few years ago. I think it was just before he got very animated about refugees and the language police decided to give him a pass.
  • Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

If only he could have had a dig at people with disabilities he could have got the jackpot.

He is, or was fortunately, the chair of the FA being questioned at a parliamentary select committe.

Not only has he made no effort to learn (being gay or straight isn't a "choice", Girls (sic), some of them like having balls kicked at them) he is meant to be setting an example.

He can't be excused, but some will try, with "he's 63".  He a leader of a hugely high profile national organisation. He should be a role model. He should be doing training.

Good riddance.

And if people really want to know and aren't just sealioning. People of Colour/Black are fine, Coloured isn't.

I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and doesn’t 100% share your exact opinion. 

How old do you think I am?
    63 ? 
    Lower
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    My take.  If he had lost his job for saying "coloured" I would have some, not much, sympathy and would be inclined to maybe give him the benifit of the doubt.

But that's not what happened. He is bang to rights and should be sacked, no cover up. Plain and simple. 

The media coverage is wrong and only adds fuel to the "PC gone mad" narrative.  
    Agree.
  • Addickted said:
    Off_it said:
    Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

Good riddance.

I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and 100% shares your exact opinion. 
    I really don’t think Henry’s comment was ageist. He was commenting that at 63 he should know better and age is no excuse.
    He's certainly not ageist.
    But to be fair, and for balance, he does tend to have a problem with people who don't 100% share his exact opinion ..... ad nauseam.
    No he doesn't. Far from it.

@Henry Irving respects other peoples opinions, views, politics, musical tastes, football tactics, eating habits and appreciates other peoples sense of humour even if it's not to his onw taste.

What he has no time for is bigots, racists, homophobes, misogynists and fucking morons.
    Woah there tiger! Just a little joke.

Do you run his fan club or something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Have the NAACP commented ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Have the NAACP commented ? 
    Only joking. 

Anachronistic fool has no place in the game. 

• Saying being gay is a choice is obviously completely wrong - all the rest is a load of bollox - there are less asians than blacks playing football because their not as good at it, girls probably are less likely to want to stand in a goal and have balls fired at them than boys and who gives a monkies or even knows whether coloured or person of colour is right or not and what is the difference - best get some eggshell treading PR man in charge - he'd be perfect and be as vanilla as the rest of the world of  management - complete load of nonsense - i admire the bloke just for being himself rather than some PC stooge, save for the gay thing which clearly isn't a choice. World is going ever more bonkers by the day.
  • Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

The man is a fossil, like many others around him.

All the while these types are still involved, football will never move forward.
    just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 
    Why are there no openly gay footballers?

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Why are there no openly gay footballers?

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)
    I genuinely believe that while there is an individual or two playing and afraid to come out, the lack of retired male players coming out suggests that it's not a major issue

Surely more would have followed Thomas Hitzlsperger's lead if they had kept it a secret when playing? 

After all it's been a non story when other sportsmen have come out in recent years, it's not affected the likes of cricketer Steven Davies in any way
  • As I remember back in the day, there were a number of far worse words used to describe black people.
    As surprising as it may sound, the word coloured was in fact considered a far more polite way to describe blacks and was perfectly acceptable and not in the least used to be disrespectful.
    It was used mainly because people were a bit confused as to what term they should use.
    I can quite understand some people from about the late 60’s onwards to today still using the word without meaning a hint of disrespect.
    It was an all encompassing word to describe folk of all darker skinned races, which also included Asians.
    Most people were unaware that it was unacceptable to black people and no doubt there’s quite a few still don’t.
    Us oldies have to try to move with the times.....not always as easy as Addickted suggests......I too find myself having to check myself now and again.
    It's a bit ageist to suggest people can't change their language.
  • Being "accidentally" racist is no more acceptable than being deliberately so when you are in the position he was in. 

It's your (a hypothetical you not anyone specific) absolute imperative and obligation to make sure you are fully aware of such things for the benefit of the entire organisation.
  • Language changes, most people keep up, others don't. Mainly the older generation.

It can be difficult to change the words you use after so many years of using them. It's similar to how it can be challenging to change beliefs and views formed over many years. 

It does not change the fact that someone in Greg Clarke's position should have both known better and tried more given his position to correct his outdated understandings.