Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Chief resigns

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Here it is, mind you it's the stage version which isn't anywhere near as funny as I recall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4
  • DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

The man is a fossil, like many others around him.

All the while these types are still involved, football will never move forward.
    just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 
    Why are there no openly gay footballers?

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)

probably because there a very small percentage and they don't want to seem different - that and the nature of football crowds - my son played an all gay team the other sunday - they beat them 10-0 - now of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers but if that team were a representative cross section, i'd say there just aren't many gay pro footballers - saying it how it is i'm afraid - just good old common sense - i know we can't use common sense any more and have to 're educate' ourselves but i'm quite happy with my views - i welcome all sorts, have no problems with any minority groups and i have lots of examples and evidence to back that up - just find things have gone way too far with all this PC crap
    Are you seriously suggesting there are not many gay footballers because gays can't be good at football?
  • Racist, homophobic and sexist all in one go.

If only he could have had a dig at people with disabilities he could have got the jackpot.

People defending him, have a word with yourselves.

He's not some random bloke in the golf club bar. 

He is, or was fortunately, the chair of the FA being questioned at a parliamentary select committe.

Not only has he made no effort to learn (being gay or straight isn't a "choice", Girls (sic), some of them like having balls kicked at them) he is meant to be setting an example.

He can't be excused, but some will try, with "he's 63".  He a leader of a hugely high profile national organisation. He should be a role model. He should be doing training.

Good riddance.

And if people really want to know and aren't just sealioning. People of Colour/Black are fine, Coloured isn't.

It's not hard, it's not PC gone mad, it's just common courtesy.
    I honestly have no idea what sealioning is.... But, you should take a look at yourself.  I also am 63, and believe it or not do not expect anybody to excuse me because of my age.  And for gods sake the USA have just voted the most powerful man in the world into a job at the age of 77. You obviously have a problem with anybody who isn’t your age, and doesn’t 100% share your exact opinion. 

How old do you think I am?
    63 ? 
    Lower
    But you look older
  • edited November 2020
    Greg Clarke's resignation was brought about by his failure to use precisely the correct lexicon in 2020's atmosphere of furious intolerance towards  perceptions of "this that and the other 'isms".  Arguments over the rights and wrongs of that will be interminable, viciously personal, and ultimately futile.
    All of which distracts from Clarke's fundamental unsuitability for his role.  As the front and centre face and voicebox for the FA his role is essentially that of shopfront and head of marketing.  A role in which it is absolutely essential to be fluent in precisely the lexicon demanded in this competitively woke atmosphere.
    At only 63 it is unforgivable not to be up to speed on what is and isn't acceptable.  BTW he looks fucking awful for 63!
    For him to have 'tripped over his words', making juvenile references to ethnicity, gender and sexuality over such a long period of time marks him out as complacent, at best.  FWIW I don't suppose he's a bigot of any kind.  But he hasn't made himself literate in any of the issues.  That's entirely congruent with what we all know the FA and its executive is all about; namely revenue for the FA.
    Cash is king and everything else trails insignificant.
    Clarke kept his job for as long as he did cos not one other individual in a position of power at the FA is remotely concerned about anything else.  Clarke's been pushed out, not cos he's incompetent, or bigoted but because he made the FA look bad (again).  FA reacted to the hectoring, not because it gives a rat's arse for any of Clarke's or his fellow executives' failings.
    Rest assured he'll be contractually entitled to an obscene payoff, with attendant 2 way NDA.  Said payoff being the chief reason he's been tolerated there so long - essentially he's outlived his economic usefulness.  Add that to his industry standard pension savings and he'll not be losing a moment's sleep.  Some other complacent dinosaur business will tap him up for a boardroom role in 6 months or so, most likely one of FA's recent big sponsors.
    Don't anyone be fooled that the FA has accepted his resignation for laudable reasons, they were pragmatic, at best. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)

probably because there a very small percentage and they don't want to seem different - that and the nature of football crowds - my son played an all gay team the other sunday - they beat them 10-0 - now of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers but if that team were a representative cross section, i'd say there just aren't many gay pro footballers - saying it how it is i'm afraid - just good old common sense - i know we can't use common sense any more and have to 're educate' ourselves but i'm quite happy with my views - i welcome all sorts, have no problems with any minority groups and i have lots of examples and evidence to back that up - just find things have gone way too far with all this PC crap
    Are you seriously suggesting there are not many gay footballers because gays can't be good at football?
    He said "of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers"
  • i was playing football last week - centre mid - 2 of us up against the other 2 centre mids - in the heat of the moment when trying to communicate with my co midfielder i said pick up the dark fella - i thought at the time have i said something wrong - i genuinely thought should i have said dark, black, coloured... I felt dark was 'softer' than saying black but god knows really. The other player had zero problem with it because he was a sensible chap and knew there was zero racist intent - there is a massive difference between using certain language and being racist - tbh I've got no views whatsoever on greg whatisname and can see how he is probably not the right bloke in this day and age but jesus christ, when is this treading on eggshells and denying common sense going to be put in check - its not about what people think, its all about saying accepted stuff = a load of bollox. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

He said "of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers"
    Then I really don't get the relevance of the score, or why he'd think there arn't many gay pro footballers.
  • But then words are only seen as offensive and taboo because they've been used in a nasty, derogative way and this varies from country to country too

"Oriental" is seen as offensive in the US, but in the UK less so, especially as "Asian" is commonly used to refer to people from South Asia (i.e. the Indian subcontinent), e.g. the BBC Asian Network.

I regular shop in an "oriental supermarket", while the Wing Yip chain is happy to refer to itself as  the UK’s leading Oriental grocer

https://www.wingyip.com/about-wing-yip/
  • DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

no
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    I don't know what Clarke said and have no intention of wasting my time finding our, he's gone and from what the majority of you say rightly so with which I can only concur.
    What I do take exception to is the use of the word "coloured' to describe people of different ethnic mixes, what's wrong with it, it is a word that aptly describes the subject, if you suggest that I should use the expression "people of colour" then that is PC taken too far. After all we are all coloured as white and pink are colours!
    That’s the point. They are black peoples not green, orange or purple. They don’t want to be called “coloured” and surely it’s not too difficult to learn to use the word black. The time will come eventually when everyone is just called people but until man can move on from its petty labels, the least we can do is respect what people want. 
  • Dunno why it's been co-opted into this thread, but obviously, don't use the word "chinky".
  • When I did my referees training in the 80's it came up that I would send a player off for using a comment like 'black c**t'. All the other trainee referees as well as the guy training us thought I would be wrong to do so.
    In my mind it would come as unsporting/unsportsmanlike conduct.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

is he a homophobe? how do you know that?
    He referred to a gay player making a "life choice". That's homophobic, end of.

As for "PC crap" - in practical terms, it's about changing a couple of words here and there. If you have such a big problem with that then give your head a massive wobble.

He referred to a fellow footballer as 'the dark fella' you're fighting a losing battle here Paddy. 

There is no defence of the attitudes he openly displayed. None.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Dunno why it's been co-opted into this thread, but obviously, don't use the word "chinky".
    Part of the discussion regarding the evolution of language use. 
  • I don't know what Clarke said and have no intention of wasting my time finding our, he's gone and from what the majority of you say rightly so with which I can only concur.
    What I do take exception to is the use of the word "coloured' to describe people of different ethnic mixes, what's wrong with it, it is a word that aptly describes the subject, if you suggest that I should use the expression "people of colour" then that is PC taken too far. After all we are all coloured as white and pink are colours!
    That’s the point. They are black peoples not green, orange or purple. They don’t want to be called “coloured” and surely not to difficult to learn to use the word black. The time will come eventually when everyone is just called people but until man can move on from its petty labels, the least we can do is respect what people want. 
    As highlighted in this thread, person of colour is the current preferred term, though black is usually accepted. My cousins partner prefers to be called brown, because his skin is as he puts it, brown. I haven't ever referred to him as brown, despite him saying it's fine as I wouldn't want to offend him or any other person hearing it. I tend to use black and POC interchangeably.

As with anything though it is through word of mouth that we learn these things, it's not as though there's a PSA for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Dear God.

I’m struggling to understand if you’re being serious or just a wum.

So I’ll just say this.

All the while people like you think the way they do and are in football (even just as a fan) there will be no change. We will keep having to say Black Lives Matter. We will keep having to ask the question ‘why won’t a gay footballer come out’. We will keep wondering why the women’s game just isn’t as good.

You, Clarke & pretty much all of those shiny arsed eejits in their offices in the FA should be, as the Kick it Out campaign so eloquently put it, ‘consigned to the dustbin of history’.

Do you think football is racist? do you think any chairman would not employ a black manager if he thought he would be the best man for the job? Why do they happily pay lots of money to black players? Can you answer me that please rather than trotting out the usual nonsense.  
    I would, if I thought by doing so it would make a blind bit of difference to you.
    You are what you are, it’s obvious and anything I say won’t change that.

I’m just grateful you’re in the minority.

KBslittlesis said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Dear God.

So I’ll just say this.

All the while people like you think the way they do and are in football (even just as a fan) there will be no change. We will keep having to say Black Lives Matter. We will keep having to ask the question ‘why won’t a gay footballer come out’. We will keep wondering why the women’s game just isn’t as good.

You, Clarke & pretty much all of those shiny arsed eejits in their offices in the FA should be, as the Kick it Out campaign so eloquently put it, ‘consigned to the dustbin of history’.

Do you think football is racist? do you think any chairman would not employ a black manager if he thought he would be the best man for the job? Why do they happily pay lots of money to black players? Can you answer me that please rather than trotting out the usual nonsense.  
    I would, if I thought by doing so it would make a blind bit of difference to you.

Shame, i was looking forward to your views - there are a few racist fans as there are a few racist people in society but football itself couldn't be less racist when it comes to employing black people - the only thing that is trotted out is about a lack of black managers - i'm genuinely interested why people think that is - are 90% of chairman and chief execs really shooting themselves in the foot by being racist - are they really less balanced, enlightened and intelligent than the 're education' merchants? Doesn't square does it? 

• DOUCHER said:

I'll bite. What you say about the very best getting the best jobs regardless of race/sexuality etc is true, pretty much. The question is, are there barriers to *reaching* the top. Look at what Clarke said. Now imagine a teacher picking teams at school or a coach at a kids Saturday training class. He's got a decent local kid with Nigerian parents and a decent local kid with Korean parents. Does an inbuilt subconscious bias kick in that sees the first one picked? Think about the proportion of black footballers vs the number of black managers. Should they be so different? Sure, if a black manager does brilliantly in the Championship then they will get considered for Premier League jobs. But how do they get those Championship jobs?
  • Here it is, mind you it's the stage version which isn't anywhere near as funny as I recall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4
    Surely that sort of thing has also had it's day and should no longer be considered acceptable though? 

I remember watching it back in the day and thinking it was very funny, but watching it again a few years back and just cringing. It didn't even seem that funny. A bit like how I might've found the "Chalky" jokes funny back in the day, but not now.
  • Yes, as you say I thought it was funny, posted it and then watched it.
    It's a stage version, not the one I recalled and it's no where near as funny, for whatever reason.
    But I thought I may as well leave it, having posted it.
  • Worth posting.
    One function of humour is to be provocative.
    That sketch fulfils that requirement.
  • edited November 2020
    seth plum said:
    Worth posting.
    It highlights the racism seen in indian restaurants week in and week out (when there's no global pandemic).

I remember the original scene and whilst it was definitely funnier, this still made me smile at how accurately it takes the piss out of the relatively common behaviour of lagered up Brits in Indian restaurants. And I also had to cringe a bit too. It's so accurate.
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Dear God.

So I’ll just say this.

KBslittlesis said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Dear God.

So I’ll just say this.

Shame, i was looking forward to your views - there are a few racist fans as there are a few racist people in society but football itself couldn't be less racist when it comes to employing black people - the only thing that is trotted out is about a lack of black managers - i'm genuinely interested why people think that is - are 90% of chairman and chief execs really shooting themselves in the foot by being racist - are they really less balanced, enlightened and intelligent than the 're education' merchants? Doesn't square does it? 
    Of course you were 🙄
  • seth plum said:
    Worth posting.
    I'll remember you said that. I'll chalk it up on my "Seth's double standards" list.